Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Opinion - guilty
Reasoning:
1) Gippsland local - would be familiar with ‘wild’ mushrooms more so than melbourne metro resident who is less likely to have them growing in backyard. Therefore EP more likely to be familiar with toxic varieties than not.
2) Dehydrating mushrooms would increase toxicity. This is known - any dried fruit for example is sweeter because sugars are concentrated. Same applies for toxins. Wouldnt even require google search.
3) Pulverising / powdering dried mushrooms would enable them to be incorporated into a meal unbeknowingly. Ensure that they are eaten by those who may not be mushroom fans. Would also require less time for digestion because already pulverised, so more instantaneous effect.
4) Disposal of dehydrator. At what point was it established mushrooms were in the meals? Upset stomach symptoms could be from any other ingredient/food contaminant in a meal. If mushrooms were purchased from a shop as EP stated, you would assume they were fine and hence not rush out to dispose of your dehydrator. (Also, a tip visit requires effort, and most people would try put object in their bin first. So tip visit is really gojng an extra mile - or 10 - to distance yourself from the object/hide evidence).
4) Tasting food. As a cook more often than not would ‘sample’ food whilst being cooked. This would result in ingestion of some of the contaminated / laced food. Fact that EP did not become ill, smacks of avoiding the meal during the preparation process all together.
5) Striking similarities with husbands illness in 2022. Lightning doesn’t strike twice.
6) Husband had been living with parents till end of last year before moving out. New relationship? Whilst described as amicable, maybe that was a front? I have seen it reported that the family - extended family - are quite private. Potentially a reason for animosity and some kind of payback.
7) Means to financial gain. Goes without saying as they are family members and inheritance appplies etc.
8) Tracking down cctv would be lock in evidence of what was disposed of at tip. By whom. At what stage in the sequence of unfolding events did that take place - was it before she was made aware of the relatives illness, was it after? Was it before discussion of mushrooms being a potential cause.
9) body language. I didn’t need to see much more tbh than seeing EP on tv give a performance before I decided that she was 100% guilty. Every other detail that has emerged has only further cemented this view.

People don't always act the same when faced with tragedy.
There is no right or wrong way to act.

Some people freeze, like me, and could appear sullen when faced with the media treating you like they've judged you guilty and chase after you like a pack of rabid animals.

Shades of Lindy Chamberlain.

Last edited:
Buying death caps from a local vendor did not happen. Anyone harvesting on a business level would absolutely know what to avoid.

If she would have pointed to a little patch of death caps that she used, I’d be more likely to believe that she just made a horrible mistake. The facts are compounding terribly for her..

All moo

A tip, where you go and tip your rubbish.

We usually call it a tip or a dump.

But now it's fancier names like waste disposal areas, or resource recovery area, or waste depot, or waste station.

I think I'll keep on calling it the tip or the dump :)

Opinion - guilty
Reasoning:
1) Gippsland local - would be familiar with ‘wild’ mushrooms more so than melbourne metro resident who is less likely to have them growing in backyard. Therefore EP more likely to be familiar with toxic varieties than not.
2) Dehydrating mushrooms would increase toxicity. This is known - any dried fruit for example is sweeter because sugars are concentrated. Same applies for toxins. Wouldnt even require google search.
3) Pulverising / powdering dried mushrooms would enable them to be incorporated into a meal unbeknowingly. Ensure that they are eaten by those who may not be mushroom fans. Would also require less time for digestion because already pulverised, so more instantaneous effect.
4) Disposal of dehydrator. At what point was it established mushrooms were in the meals? Upset stomach symptoms could be from any other ingredient/food contaminant in a meal. If mushrooms were purchased from a shop as EP stated, you would assume they were fine and hence not rush out to dispose of your dehydrator. (Also, a tip visit requires effort, and most people would try put object in their bin first. So tip visit is really gojng an extra mile - or 10 - to distance yourself from the object/hide evidence).
4) Tasting food. As a cook more often than not would ‘sample’ food whilst being cooked. This would result in ingestion of some of the contaminated / laced food. Fact that EP did not become ill, smacks of avoiding the meal during the preparation process all together.
5) Striking similarities with husbands illness in 2022. Lightning doesn’t strike twice.
6) Husband had been living with parents till end of last year before moving out. New relationship? Whilst described as amicable, maybe that was a front? I have seen it reported that the family - extended family - are quite private. Potentially a reason for animosity and some kind of payback.
7) Means to financial gain. Goes without saying as they are family members and inheritance appplies etc.
8) Tracking down cctv would be lock in evidence of what was disposed of at tip. By whom. At what stage in the sequence of unfolding events did that take place - was it before she was made aware of the relatives illness, was it after? Was it before discussion of mushrooms being a potential cause.
9) body language. I didn’t need to see much more tbh than seeing EP on tv give a performance before I decided that she was 100% guilty. Every other detail that has emerged has only further cemented this view.
Having now read about all your enumerated points in mainstream media, I agree fully. This was a premeditated murder plot [beginning earlier with the husband] for retaining the family home and inheritance.

Having now read about all your enumerated points in mainstream media, I agree fully. This was a premeditated murder plot [beginning earlier with the husband] for retaining the family home and inheritance.
Certainly looking very suss for sure. Mushrooms are a strange choice of menu as not universally liked except as a gravy or in a salad by some. Why not choose a simple dish that everyone could enjoy including herself and the kids. The dehydrator may have fingerprints to identify person who had used it or disposed of it. Curious to know whether it was still in working order.

Last edited:
I've always thought that most people liked mushrooms.
I've never come across anyone who didn't like them.

They're not that unusual or exotic in a recipe. They've been mainstream for many years.

If she is guilty, it must have been nerve-racking having her kids in the same house as the poisonous mushrooms. Always a chance of them ingesting it somehow - whether taking a small bite of the meal, or a dollop of the meal or dried mushrooms somehow making it's way to another piece of food.

Not that I sympathise with the guilty party, if there is one, just trying to think through such a horror lunch.

Mushroom foraging is popular in the area. Even the local mayor does it.

“I do it with my wife and friends,” says Nathan Hersey, mayor of the South Gippsland Shire council. “It’s something that has increased over the years.”
Do they use a hydrator and then dispose of it the following day at the tip?

I'm not a lawyer but I have a legal mind. I also have a background in psychology but I'm retired now. So I always look for possible motives especially at the beginning of a case.

Basically the main motives are love, lust, loathing, or loot. But this author lists 15 motives for murder. Why Do People Kill? 15 Motives for Murder, BRYN DONOVAN

In this case, I guessed it could be loot and excluded religious differences early.

When I read that this couple are separated, but still amicable, I guessed the divorce might not have reached the legal stage yet so that papers were not signed. So EP, not wanting to lose her lovely house, IMO could have tried to poison her husband first. When that didn't work, she made sure she kept a close relationship with the in laws. I suspect that the mother in law's sister and her husband did not have any children so they were going to leave everything to SP in their will and EP knew that. So if his parents and his parents sister and her husband died, EP would inherit all of his mother's sister's and her husband's estate and one-fourth of his parents' estate as they had four children. If SP had been there, she would have also received the house in her name as well. But as SP wasn't there at the lunch, she went ahead with it and included the auntie and her husband as SP was likely to inherit more money from them assuming they didn't have any children.

EP had to do this before any property settlement was agreed to in writing because she would then have hoped to at least get half of anything SP inherited plus half of anything they owned together and possibly more as she had been a stay at home mother. She would then possibly have had enough money to buy her estranged husband's share of their house.

If this theory is true, then a lot of thought and planning must have gone into this over more than a year and if she is found guilty, then she could be charged with premeditated murder when she thought she had got rid of any evidence and would go scot-free!

All in IMO
I believe the motive was financial also.

I don't think I ever want to take a chance on a picked mushroom again :(

It has been years since I picked anyway, and it was the warnings that made me think better of it.

What if I got it wrong, and put my life at risk and maybe other people's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper