GUILTY Australia - Aiia Masarwe, 21, Israeli exchange student, murdered, Melbourne, Jan 2019 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Very clever, I *hope* the police have thought of all that. Hinch's tweet makes me think the police already know who the perp is but they're not ready to release the info until they have concrete evidence.

and a whole lot more. Again, this morning, 4 mins ago, the detective stated firmly that the answer to this was within the community, so I presume he means a local bloke there in Bundoora. Or close to.

oEL5uK

Google Image Result for http://www.strictlyfitteds.com/sites/default/files/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/11.jpg

I found this when googling 1986 hats. Appears to be similar... and is affiliated with the NBA. May not be related at all... just trying to find something to help this case. MOO.

Listening to channel 7, after the show her friends drove her to the tram stop where she caught the tram. Unless he followed by car from the comedy venue, he must have been watching the tram stop from a residence or by some other venue near to it. perhaps not even from the comedy festival.

Listening to channel 7, after the show her friends drove her to the tram stop where she caught the tram. Unless he followed by car from the comedy venue, he must have been watching the tram stop from a residence or by some other venue near to it. perhaps not even from the comedy festival.

I think likely he was either ON the tram or he lived nearby the area and was looking for a victim and saw her. I don't think he followed her from the comedy club, MOO.

First time poster here! This case has me so sad/angry/frustrated... very similar to how I felt after Eurydice Dixon. I live in Melbourne and catch the tram in and out of the city every day (female working in the city so both cases hit me hard emotionally). This is IMOO but when the first attack occurred I was a bit disappointed in the direction mainstream media took the conversation. The main sentiment I am calling out is "don't tell women to modify our behaviour to prevent harm because men are the problem."
Of course, it is important to educate men on how society's foundations of sexism and misogyny contribute to violence against women. It is important to encourage men to call out bad behaviour and educate the next generation to do things differently. However, I found the conversations steered the focus away from empowering both men and women to support each other to live, travel and work safely, and instead turned into a sort of "blaming" conversation.
At the end of the day, two beautiful young women lost their lives. As a woman who travels on public transport in Melbourne frequently, there are both men and women who witness creeps behaving badly towards females on the tram everyday. There are both men and women who turn their music up lower to drown these creeps out and look out the window, leaving a young woman to deal with the creep alone (I have dealt with this quite a few times and was appalled at the lack of support from other commuters).
This needs to be an inclusive conversation between all people - of all gender and ages. About how to call out bad behaviour, how to help someone in need, how to look after yourself if you are catching transport or walking home alone. Because we are never going to eradicate these creeps. They have been around since humans first populated Earth.
As a young woman in Melbourne, I would like to see mainstream media promoting safety messages for walking home alone, getting yourself out of uncomfortable conversations and promoting putting personal safety first. I also think taxi and Uber drivers, bar/club staff and police officers receiving training and education in supporting community safety would go a long way.
Again, this is all my opinion only... but I noticed there was some debate in this thread about "demonizing genders" etc. so I thought I would just give my perspective and promote what I think is important - community safety and supporting these poor victim's families.

I am curious as to why that shirt and hat were discarded. They don't appear to be torn or stained, , ( I am assuming they are the actual artifacts, and not examples ) why did he take them off?

They were found about 100 meters from her body so I don't think A. ripped them off him, he took them off and threw them down, but why?... he , one assumes, put his pants back on, but tossed away the shirt, and , mysteriously, the hat.

And unless he had been out all day, and this was his last effort of the night, he put a lot of store into that hat as part of his persona, in that he put it on at night. It wasn't for shade, it was for .. what? identification? a message? an insignia of a club?

Then he discarded it .

What we need is a resident psychoanalyst, some one who can read meaning, if there is any , in to it.

I wonder even if the shirt and hat are unrelated and just happened to be left by someone else? I agree it doesn't make sense that he would have left behind crucial evidence mistakenly.

First time poster here! This case has me so sad/angry/frustrated... very similar to how I felt after Eurydice Dixon. I live in Melbourne and catch the tram in and out of the city every day (female working in the city so both cases hit me hard emotionally). This is IMOO but when the first attack occurred I was a bit disappointed in the direction mainstream media took the conversation. The main sentiment I am calling out is "don't tell women to modify our behaviour to prevent harm because men are the problem."
Of course, it is important to educate men on how society's foundations of sexism and misogyny contribute to violence against women. It is important to encourage men to call out bad behaviour and educate the next generation to do things differently. However, I found the conversations steered the focus away from empowering both men and women to support each other to live, travel and work safely, and instead turned into a sort of "blaming" conversation.
At the end of the day, two beautiful young women lost their lives. As a woman who travels on public transport in Melbourne frequently, there are both men and women who witness creeps behaving badly towards females on the tram everyday. There are both men and women who turn their music up lower to drown these creeps out and look out the window, leaving a young woman to deal with the creep alone (I have dealt with this quite a few times and was appalled at the lack of support from other commuters).
This needs to be an inclusive conversation between all people - of all gender and ages. About how to call out bad behaviour, how to help someone in need, how to look after yourself if you are catching transport or walking home alone. Because we are never going to eradicate these creeps. They have been around since humans first populated Earth.
As a young woman in Melbourne, I would like to see mainstream media promoting safety messages for walking home alone, getting yourself out of uncomfortable conversations and promoting putting personal safety first. I also think taxi and Uber drivers, bar/club staff and police officers receiving training and education in supporting community safety would go a long way.
Again, this is all my opinion only... but I noticed there was some debate in this thread about "demonizing genders" etc. so I thought I would just give my perspective and promote what I think is important - community safety and supporting these poor victim's families.

It always ends up becoming a blame game when people's emotions are running high and it's sad because it shouldn't. Women shouldn't have to modify their behaviour and decent men shouldn't feel like they're being blamed for the actions of monsters. We all need to work together.

TBH it sounds like her friends took every reasonable precaution that they thought was necessary, and it still wasn't enough

I think likely he was either ON the tram or he lived nearby the area and was looking for a victim and saw her. I don't think he followed her from the comedy club, MOO.
I am dissing that theory , too, on the grounds that he couldn't get back to his starting point, at least, by tram, he couldn't.

He would have missed the last tram back all the way to Melbourne City, and been stuck at Preston Depot.

Of course, he could follow a tram by car, but it seems she caught the tram ( at least, she was dropped off at Bourke St Mall) , no cars go up and down there, be hard for him to spot her , him driving up Elizabeth St,.. then , he has to find a place to turn round to go back... then, he has to follow that 86 from Lonsdale St, not Bourke, as it is closed off to car traffic …( he might have seen her from his car at a tramstop, along the route.. and followed the tram until he saw her get off )

Putting a bit of Occams razor to it, though, it has a tad more logic that he was either a late entry on that tram ( got ON not far from her stop, and saw her and got off at her stop ) or was already there, hanging around.

Maybe an habitual 'hanger around' that tramstop.

I read that Aiia was less than 1km from her residence. Being an American, this hit me harder once I converted this unit of measurement to one I’m familiar with: less than 0.62 of a mile. So, 6/10th of a mile & she would’ve been home...

I’m still haunted by the Jill Meagher case & the footage of her on CCTV. Being that Aiia was near a shopping mall & car park, I hope she & the assailant were caught on CCTV.

I wonder how the police know the discarded clothes are related to the perp? I doubt the perp would return home shirtless, so perhaps he doubled up on shirts, then discarded one? But, this would be foolish, since he would intentionally be leaving his DNA at or near the crime scene. It doesn’t make sense how these clothes are related. Did he put his clothes to the side at the crime scene, intending to put them back on, then somehow get distracted into leaving them behind?

I’m so horrified by this case, especially reading that Aiia was still alive when discovered, several hours later. How she must have suffered.

He apparently discarded his shirt and hat about 100 meters down the road, in the direction BACK towards Melbourne..
It is difficult to hold onto the idea that he then walked back to the tramstop. I think he was on his way, walking, to his residence, from where he started his evening earlier on.

As the detectives say, opportunistic. In every sense.

That she was alive all those hours, barely, is so heartbreaking it defies expression.

Ok I am very confused by this report: "It was just after midnight on Wednesday morning when the call dropped out, prompting 21-year-old Aiia Maasarwe's sibling to raise the alarm from overseas after a desperate attempt to ring her back failed." If an alarm was raised...why did the cops not find her, nor even appear to have been looking for her?

Ok I am very confused by this report: "It was just after midnight on Wednesday morning when the call dropped out, prompting 21-year-old Aiia Maasarwe's sibling to raise the alarm from overseas after a desperate attempt to ring her back failed." If an alarm was raised...why did the cops not find her, nor even appear to have been looking for her?

It is a bit of a misreport. Apparently, the sister tried to ring Aiie a few times, during her day ( Aiie's early morning) and finally , when she didn't get a response from her sisters phone, she actually rang the Melbourne Police Centre, which had just at that very moment ,( about 6am Melbourne time ) got a call in from Triple OOO ( equivalent of 911 ) reporting the crime from the footpath in Bundoora, from a pair of tradesmen staring early in the summer heat. They had discovered the body of Aiie, on their way to work.

I am dissing that theory , too, on the grounds that he couldn't get back to his starting point, at least, by tram, he couldn't.

He would have missed the last tram back all the way to Melbourne City, and been stuck at Preston Depot.

Of course, he could follow a tram by car, but it seems she caught the tram ( at least, she was dropped off at Bourke St Mall) , no cars go up and down there, be hard for him to spot her , him driving up Elizabeth St,.. then , he has to find a place to turn round to go back... then, he has to follow that 86 from Lonsdale St, not Bourke, as it is closed off to car traffic …( he might have seen her from his car at a tramstop, along the route.. and followed the tram until he saw her get off )

Putting a bit of Occams razor to it, though, it has a tad more logic that he was either a late entry on that tram ( got ON not far from her stop, and saw her and got off at her stop ) or was already there, hanging around.

Maybe an habitual 'hanger around' that tramstop.

You would make a great detective!

MOO he didn't follow her in a car, unless he knew about her beforehand and was really set on her in particular being the victim (which would mean he knew her and maybe is a uni student?). A guy wanting a random victim is not going to go to all that trouble and effort. I like the idea of him being on the tram and picking her out there or already hanging around the tram stop in Bundoora.

I read that Aiia was less than 1km from her residence. Being an American, this hit me harder once I converted this unit of measurement to one I’m familiar with: less than 0.62 of a mile. So, 6/10th of a mile & she would’ve been home...

I’m still haunted by the Jill Meagher case & the footage of her on CCTV. Being that Aiia was near a shopping mall & car park, I hope she & the assailant were caught on CCTV.

I wonder how the police know the discarded clothes are related to the perp? I doubt the perp would return home shirtless, so perhaps he doubled up on shirts, then discarded one? But, this would be foolish, since he would intentionally be leaving his DNA at or near the crime scene. It doesn’t make sense how these clothes are related. Did he put his clothes to the side at the crime scene, intending to put them back on, then somehow get distracted into leaving them behind?

I’m so horrified by this case, especially reading that Aiia was still alive when discovered, several hours later. How she must have suffered.

I know, it's sick and poor Eurydice was like 400m from her house or something.

It is a bit of a misreport. Apparently, the sister tried to ring Aiie a few times, during her day ( Aiie's early morning) and finally , when she didn't get a response from her sisters phone, she actually rang the Melbourne Police Centre, which had just at that very moment ,( about 6am Melbourne time ) got a call in from Triple OOO ( equivalent of 911 ) reporting the crime from the footpath in Bundoora, from a pair of tradesmen staring early in the summer heat. They had discovered the body of Aiie, on their way to work.
where is that information?

You would make a great detective!

MOO he didn't follow her in a car, unless he knew about her beforehand and was really set on her in particular being the victim (which would mean he knew her and maybe is a uni student?). A guy wanting a random victim is not going to go to all that trouble and effort. I like the idea of him being on the tram and picking her out there or already hanging around the tram stop in Bundoora.

I am following your train of thought, too. He has murdered her, on his way HOME, not on his way OUT. If he's on that tram that she is on , he is going home, because there is no way back until 5.20 am , at least back into Melbourne. He could live near the tram depot in Preston, I suppose .

Perhaps he lives near that tramstop, maybe he has seen her before, since that is her stop, also.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman
Back