GUILTY Australia - Carly McBride, 31, murdered, Muswellbrook, NSW, 30 Sept 2014 *Trial in 2021*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have to say this again. Muswellbrook was a quiet country town with a mix of farmers and rural labourers and miners. As the town became more affluent, housing commission house were not required and deadbeats from Sydney and some from Newcastle, who had never worked a day in their lives were given those houses. Lots of country towns suddenly had huge crime and drug problems from this policy. How dare that import say that the town was full of drop kicks like him.

My own opinion is that he said that because he was trying to point the finger at Carly's ex, for her murder.

Not insinuating that Carly's ex is a dropkick. But I think Sayle might think (or would like to think) that the ex is a dropkick.

I have to say this again. Muswellbrook was a quiet country town with a mix of farmers and rural labourers and miners. As the town became more affluent, housing commission house were not required and deadbeats from Sydney and some from Newcastle, who had never worked a day in their lives were given those houses. Lots of country towns suddenly had huge crime and drug problems from this policy. How dare that import say that the town was full of drop kicks like him.

Well, Sayle's best mate & co- accused JC is a born & bred Muswellbrook local :rolleyes:

Last edited:
My own opinion is that he said that because he was trying to point the finger at Carly's ex, for her murder.

Not insinuating that Carly's ex is a dropkick. But I think Sayle might think (or would like to think) that the ex is a dropkick.

He's just talking Sh*...........

Spot on SA

Carly McBride murder trial: defence say a stranger or ex could have killed Carly | Newcastle Herald | Newcastle, NSW

JUNE 3 2021 - 4:30PM
Carly McBride murder trial: defence say a stranger or ex could have killed Carly

Jealousy and ice fuelled Carly McBride's alleged killer, court hears

Carly McBride murder trial hears accused killer Sayle Kenneth Newson motivated by jealousy
ABC Newcastle
/ By Ben Millington

Twenty-three fractures were found on her skull and 13 fractures in her back.

Mr Carr told the jury that Mr Newson, 43, was a professionally trained Muay Thai kickboxer who had the ability to inflict the fatal wounds.

Mr Carr also presented evidence to suggest Mr Newson had deleted the GPS location data from his mobile phone after Ms McBride went missing.

A search of Mr Newson's car found no evidence of blood, but before the search the court heard Mr Newson had claimed to have had "rough sex" with Ms McBride, which had left blood in the car.

A search of Mr Newson's car found no evidence of blood, but before the search the court heard Mr Newson had claimed to have had "rough sex" with Ms McBride, which had left blood in the car.

"Is that pre-emptive, in case something is found in that car?" Mr Carr said.

06e41a59da2a972ee5c86d118eda49b6

Mr Newson and Ms McBride lived in a "different world" where there was a division between "love and lust", according to the defence.(
Supplied: NSW Police )

Mr Watson said Mr Newson lived in a "different world" where it was still possible to feel love and affection for Ms McBride while having sex with other women shortly after she disappeared.

"It is reprehensible and offensive, but what it indicates to you is that there's a divide between love and lust," Mr Watson said.

The jury is expected to begin deliberations next week.

More at link

Rough sex is no longer allowed as a defence when women are killed or injured during sex.

I wasn't aware of this case until recently and I've just read the thread. Based on what I've read I'd be saying not guilty. He would be my favourite suspect, his behaviour has been weird from the beginning, but I'm not seeing satisfactory evidence.

I wasn't aware of this case until recently and I've just read the thread. Based on what I've read I'd be saying not guilty. He would be my favourite suspect, his behaviour has been weird from the beginning, but I'm not seeing satisfactory evidence.

I honestly don't know enough about the evidence. We have had so little reporting on this case, the details are scant.
Presumably there is CCTV evidence, and phone ping evidence, perhaps GPS evidence too.

This case is certainly all circumstantial evidence, but all the pieces add up IMO .

"Mr Carr said there was no forensic evidence and the case would rely on circumstantial and tendency evidence."

The cops have worked very hard .

It seems like I have been following this case for a life time :rolleyes: ( it has been nearly 7 yrs )

This week we should have a result & I'm fairly confident of a guilty verdict .........

These are just some of the pieces & facts alleged by police

dc698f4e9476b0e90a9b2d0f2705ac3a

• The cash reward.............. that police say he could never pay & made the offer knowing he would never have to. “A reward of ten thousand dollars is being offered to any person who provides information that directly leads to the whereabouts of Carly …$10,000 cash…..if you have seen Carly or have any information about her please contact us immediately on 0487357823 or 0422392667,” said a Facebook post containing Newson’s mobile number on October 2. ( same day he travelled to the central coast for sex )
  • Late on 29/9/14 a number of searches were made from Sayle's laptop looking for instructions on how to delete a facebook account
  • Carly's facebook was deleted at 11:52pm 29/9 /14 )
  • Sayle edited photo's ...........that was used for the missing persons posters, (that Sayle took driving up to Muswellbrook ) , that was edited before he knew Carly was "missing" ............between 5.17pm and 5.23pm that day, before Ms McBride had been discovered "missing", one of those photographs was rotated into a portrait shape and edited to remove Mr Newson's tattooed arm. But when he spoke to police he said it wasn't until 6pm, when he drove back to Ms McBride's ex-partner's home, that he first discovered she had disappeared.
  • He then allegedly used the picture to create a Facebook page titled “Help Find Carly McBride” on October 1, having only reported her missing to police late on September 30. “It is alleged that the editing of these photographs were preparatory steps made by Newson in laying a false trail in the “staged” search for the deceased,” the police allegations state.
  • The public displays of grief and torment, the extensive appeals for information and the social media campaign juxtaposed with claims he had moved on to other women almost immediately.
  • Launched a full-scale search for Ms McBride; contacted her family and the police, knocked on doors along the path she would have taken to McDonald's, searched businesses, canvassed for CCTV, printed missing person's posters, created the 'Held Find Carly McBride' Facebook page, spoke with the media and announced a $10,000 reward. At one point Mr Newson said he hoped to gain further publicity by making a joint appeal with the family of missing boy William Tyrell. Police labelled it a "gross and immediate public overreaction" by Mr Newson
  • “This pattern of behaviour extended over days, weeks and months following the deceased’s alleged death demonstrated the public grief displayed by Newson was also a lie.”
  • Try's to interject himself into the police investigation & deflect suspicion onto others, which included two of his associates breaking into a rival's house to search for evidence.
  • Attempts to find out locations of police & SES searches ( he actually went to SES HQ's asking about searches ) than claiming he couldn't stay to help search
  • Stated to police officer early on that "you're looking for a dead body".
  • Knew information about the crime scene that only the killer would know. Mr Carr said that Mr Newson was recorded in a telephone conversation describing a part of the real crime scene, at a time when that location was still hidden from the public.
  • 28/9/14 argued about Carly's contact with other men on facebook.
  • Detectives say that at about 5pm on September 30, 2014, Mr Newson told someone that Ms McBride was missing
  • But when he spoke to police he said it wasn't until 6pm, when he drove back to Ms McBride's ex-partner's home, that he first discovered she had disappeared.
  • Carly's debit card was used @ Scone McDonalds and each bought a soft drink using McBride’s debit card at 4.38pm 30/9/14.
  • Newson courted the media for the next year as Ms McBride’s parents worked with police in appealing for information about their daughter’s whereabouts.
  • Newson became aggressive and violent when drug affected and had been taking ice for a couple of days before he killed Ms McBride.
  • Mr Carr told the jury there would be evidence detailing Newson's jealousy and possessiveness when he was in a relationship and how he had a "controlling attitude".
  • Mr Carr said he had a state of mind of “jealousy, possessiveness and controlling attitude towards partners”.
  • Newson told police he thought Carly was dead and "God had made this decision".
  • Mr Carr said police later found a map at Newson's home where circles had been marked around Scone and Muswellbrook as well as the locations of point-to-point cameras between the two towns.
  • The location where Ms McBride's remains were found was inside one of the circled areas.
  • Mr Carr said that when police searched Mr Newson’s mobile phone, they discovered he had deleted Google location services between September 18 and October 2, 2014

And all the while he professed his love and devotion to Ms McBride. He was the distraught boyfriend who would do anything to have his girlfriend return safe and sound.

There was no blood found in his vehicle, no known witnesses to the crime, no CCTV, no DNA and police don't know where the alleged murder occurred.

But they say all signs point to the "concerned" partner who first raised the alarm.

No Cookies | Daily Telegraph

Carly McBride murder: Sayle Kenneth Newson committed for trial for alleged murder of girlfriend Carly McBride | Newcastle Herald | Newcastle, NSW

Ex-boyfriend committed for trial for alleged murder of Carly McBride

Accused killer allegedly searched for sex one day after girlfriend's murder, court told

NoCookies | The Australian

This case is certainly all circumstantial evidence, but all the pieces add up IMO .

"Mr Carr said there was no forensic evidence and the case would rely on circumstantial and tendency evidence."

The cops have worked very hard .

It seems like I have been following this case for a life time :rolleyes: ( it has been nearly 7 yrs )

This week we should have a result & I'm fairly confident of a guilty verdict .........

These are just some of the pieces & facts alleged by police

dc698f4e9476b0e90a9b2d0f2705ac3a

• The cash reward.............. that police say he could never pay & made the offer knowing he would never have to. “A reward of ten thousand dollars is being offered to any person who provides information that directly leads to the whereabouts of Carly …$10,000 cash…..if you have seen Carly or have any information about her please contact us immediately on 0487357823 or 0422392667,” said a Facebook post containing Newson’s mobile number on October 2. ( same day he travelled to the central coast for sex )
  • Late on 29/9/14 a number of searches were made from Sayle's laptop looking for instructions on how to delete a facebook account
  • Carly's facebook was deleted at 11:52pm 29/9 /14 )
  • Sayle edited photo's ...........that was used for the missing persons posters, (that Sayle took driving up to Muswellbrook ) , that was edited before he knew Carly was "missing" ............between 5.17pm and 5.23pm that day, before Ms McBride had been discovered "missing", one of those photographs was rotated into a portrait shape and edited to remove Mr Newson's tattooed arm. But when he spoke to police he said it wasn't until 6pm, when he drove back to Ms McBride's ex-partner's home, that he first discovered she had disappeared.
  • He then allegedly used the picture to create a Facebook page titled “Help Find Carly McBride” on October 1, having only reported her missing to police late on September 30. “It is alleged that the editing of these photographs were preparatory steps made by Newson in laying a false trail in the “staged” search for the deceased,” the police allegations state.
  • The public displays of grief and torment, the extensive appeals for information and the social media campaign juxtaposed with claims he had moved on to other women almost immediately.
  • Launched a full-scale search for Ms McBride; contacted her family and the police, knocked on doors along the path she would have taken to McDonald's, searched businesses, canvassed for CCTV, printed missing person's posters, created the 'Held Find Carly McBride' Facebook page, spoke with the media and announced a $10,000 reward. At one point Mr Newson said he hoped to gain further publicity by making a joint appeal with the family of missing boy William Tyrell. Police labelled it a "gross and immediate public overreaction" by Mr Newson
  • “This pattern of behaviour extended over days, weeks and months following the deceased’s alleged death demonstrated the public grief displayed by Newson was also a lie.”
  • Try's to interject himself into the police investigation & deflect suspicion onto others, which included two of his associates breaking into a rival's house to search for evidence.
  • Attempts to find out locations of police & SES searches ( he actually went to SES HQ's asking about searches ) than claiming he couldn't stay to help search
  • Stated to police officer early on that "you're looking for a dead body".
  • Knew information about the crime scene that only the killer would know. Mr Carr said that Mr Newson was recorded in a telephone conversation describing a part of the real crime scene, at a time when that location was still hidden from the public.
  • 28/9/14 argued about Carly's contact with other men on facebook.
  • Detectives say that at about 5pm on September 30, 2014, Mr Newson told someone that Ms McBride was missing
  • But when he spoke to police he said it wasn't until 6pm, when he drove back to Ms McBride's ex-partner's home, that he first discovered she had disappeared.
  • Carly's debit card was used @ Scone McDonalds and each bought a soft drink using McBride’s debit card at 4.38pm 30/9/14.
  • Newson courted the media for the next year as Ms McBride’s parents worked with police in appealing for information about their daughter’s whereabouts.
  • Newson became aggressive and violent when drug affected and had been taking ice for a couple of days before he killed Ms McBride.
  • Mr Carr told the jury there would be evidence detailing Newson's jealousy and possessiveness when he was in a relationship and how he had a "controlling attitude".
  • Mr Carr said he had a state of mind of “jealousy, possessiveness and controlling attitude towards partners”.
  • Newson told police he thought Carly was dead and "God had made this decision".
  • Mr Carr said police later found a map at Newson's home where circles had been marked around Scone and Muswellbrook as well as the locations of point-to-point cameras between the two towns.
  • The location where Ms McBride's remains were found was inside one of the circled areas.
  • Mr Carr said that when police searched Mr Newson’s mobile phone, they discovered he had deleted Google location services between September 18 and October 2, 2014

And all the while he professed his love and devotion to Ms McBride. He was the distraught boyfriend who would do anything to have his girlfriend return safe and sound.

There was no blood found in his vehicle, no known witnesses to the crime, no CCTV, no DNA and police don't know where the alleged murder occurred.

But they say all signs point to the "concerned" partner who first raised the alarm.

No Cookies | Daily Telegraph

Carly McBride murder: Sayle Kenneth Newson committed for trial for alleged murder of girlfriend Carly McBride | Newcastle Herald | Newcastle, NSW

Ex-boyfriend committed for trial for alleged murder of Carly McBride

Accused killer allegedly searched for sex one day after girlfriend's murder, court told

NoCookies | The Australian
I think some of those points are very weak, but taken altogether, I do suspect him, I would be investigating him very closely, but if that's all there is, no, I'm not persuaded, nowhere near beyond reasonable doubt.

I'll probably say more about specific points later. Thanks for putting it together there.

I've been grouping the points and ordering them chronologically and writing comments, been at it for a few hours, and while I still think some of it's rubbish, I'm finding it more persuasive of guilt than I did before. I really don't like how he put himself in a position with the reward and his own phone numbers and directions to webpage readers to get at potential evidence first--which he would need if he were the killer evading detection. I saw grandiosity and erraticism, but as I look at the pieces together I think I see a sort of dumb cunning as well. Possibly a ritual element if the Facebook deletion and photograph altering are relevant. I don't know if I'm making sense--anyway I haven't finished and I've run out of time for now.

JLZ thanks for your thoughts :)

This case has not had much attention, media have not bothered too much to cover the trial . Be lucky if 1 journo turned up each week :rolleyes: I don't know why.......

Sayle's reaction / behaviour was so over the top from the get go , really over the top.

When he was running the Find Carly facebook page , very early on it was very interesting to watch ( before he went on an enforced holiday ) & Steve took over it . He was using it to gather info, private messaging people who posted comments etc.

JLZ thanks for your thoughts :)

This case has not had much attention, media have not bothered too much to cover the trial . Be lucky if 1 journo turned up each week :rolleyes: I don't know why.......

Sayle's reaction / behaviour was so over the top from the get go , really over the top.

When he was running the Find Carly facebook page , very early on it was very interesting to watch ( before he went on an enforced holiday ) & Steve took over it . He was using it to gather info, private messaging people who posted comments etc.
BBM--There's a point though where over-the-topness goes in the defendant's favour because I have to ask myself what I'd expect to see in a person like this in the event that his girlfriend goes missing. Like, if he organized a picnic, he'd be emailing the governor-general to make sure the elephants arrive on time. And then he'd forget to turn up himself because he got distracted.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raine73
Back