GUILTY Australia - Carly McBride, 31, murdered, Muswellbrook, NSW, 30 Sept 2014 *Trial in 2021*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Still waiting ........................:eek::(

Well, it was still on the court docket for today - so they are evidently still deliberating. Not a good sign.
It is now been 10 days since closing remarks. I think they have now had 7 or 8 working days for deliberation.

R v Sayle Kenneth Newson
Newcastle (343 Hunter Street, Newcastle)
No Cookies | Daily Telegraph

Well, it was still on the court docket for today - so they are evidently still deliberating. Not a good sign.
It is now been 10 days since closing remarks. I think they have now had 7 or 8 working days for deliberation.

R v Sayle Kenneth Newson
Newcastle (343 Hunter Street, Newcastle)

Still listed up til 25/6

Today is day 10 I think ( started on Tues 8th ( monday 14th was public holiday )

Wonder if they have sent any notes etc??

Carly McBride trial: jury deliver verdict in seven-year murder mystery | Newcastle Herald | Newcastle, NSW

r0_0_960_541_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Nearly seven years after Ms McBride left a house at Muswellbrook and disappeared, Newson, now 43, was on Thursday found guilty of murder, the jury left with no doubt that he was the man responsible for a horrific case of domestic violence that became one of the Hunter's enduring mysteries.

"Youse have got it wrong," Newson told the jury as they were leaving the courtroom on Friday morning. "I'm innocent. "I didn't do it."

The verdict, which came at the conclusion of an eight-week trial and after the jury had deliberated for more than nine days, will no doubt trigger overwhelming relief and emotion for the family of Ms McBride, her mother, Lorraine Williams, and father Steve McBride and her two children.

At the end of the ABC article . . . the defence team said he will be appealing.

I'm undecided about Sayle but I like appeals because you get to read the reasoning.

I'm undecided about Sayle but I like appeals because you get to read the reasoning.

We may learn more tomorrow. At the end of the Newcastle Herald article that drsleuth posted it says that they will have 'full coverage tomorrow'.

Yep, heard on ABC 24 news that he is appealing ( of course ) & will be sentenced in sept.

Will be interesting to see what happens with JC, now that Sayle has been found guilty.......

RIP Carly , finally some justice for you & your long suffering family & friends.

As TGY says, our cops are tops :D

Carly McBride murder trial: killer Sayle Kenneth Newson fueled by jealousy and ice | Newcastle Herald | Newcastle, NSW

r0_0_1143_823_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

"Youse have got it wrong," Newson told the jury after the verdict. "I'm innocent. "I didn't do it."

Later, Newson turned to Justice Mark Ierace, SC, again to profess his innocence.

"I understand the verdict's been the verdict," he said. "Your Honour, I'm innocent. From the day I reported Carly missing to this very day I've been compliant with the police, with the courts, with the jails, everything, and I've been found guilty of a crime that I did not commit. Someone out there has committed this crime and it wasn't me. It wasn't me and now I've got a big struggle ahead of me to try and clear my name through the courts after this."

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Carly McBride murder trial: killer Sayle Kenneth Newson fueled by jealousy and ice | Newcastle Herald | Newcastle, NSW

r0_0_1143_823_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

"Youse have got it wrong," Newson told the jury after the verdict. "I'm innocent. "I didn't do it."

Later, Newson turned to Justice Mark Ierace, SC, again to profess his innocence.

"I understand the verdict's been the verdict," he said. "Your Honour, I'm innocent. From the day I reported Carly missing to this very day I've been compliant with the police, with the courts, with the jails, everything, and I've been found guilty of a crime that I did not commit. Someone out there has committed this crime and it wasn't me. It wasn't me and now I've got a big struggle ahead of me to try and clear my name through the courts after this."

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Whiny little creep.

Mr Carr likes to talk about shards of light being gradually let into a pitch black room.

"You let in a little bit of light and another bit of light and another bit of light, after a while you can see everything," Mr Carr said during his closing address. "And that's what is happening here. Those little bits of light shining the spotlight, shining a torch, shining a floodlight on the accused."

The more investigators dug into Newson, interviewed him, looked at his Facebook messages, listened to his phone calls, the more he shone the light on himself.

After showing little emotion throughout the trial Newson lost control as the verdict was handed down, telling the judge and jury in an outburst they had made a mistake.

Newson will be sentenced on September 17.

In your linked article it states that one important statement Newson made was while Carly was visiting her daughter (shortly before he murdered her) he admitted that he was 'chewing his lip' because Carly had been visiting her daughter for hours and she hadn't contacted him.

Why am I not surprised to read that ice was a contributing factor? All of those fractures that Carly suffered .....

No Cookies | Herald Sun

Previous history, should go well for his sentencing :D

Old article

Gold Coast drug raid duo remanded in jail
TWO men arrested after a Gold Coast raid seized a cache of weapons, drugs and firearms have been remanded in custody following a brief court appearance.

less than 2 min read
July 3, 2013 - 11:00AM
AAP

Stephen Walker, 20, and Sayle Newson, 35, appeared briefly in Southport Magistrates Court on Wednesday following a search of their Burleigh Heads motel room on Tuesday afternoon.

Officers allege a 45 calibre semi-automatic pistol, a modified .22 calibre semi-automatic rifle, 40 rounds of ammunition, a significant amount of cannabis, about 100 grams of amphetamines and 1000 ecstasy tablets were found along with $11,330 cash.

A vehicle, clothing, masks and wigs were also seized.

Another new article......

Paraphrased.....

JUNE 24 2021 - 6:30PM
Carly McBride murder trial: killer Sayle Kenneth Newson fueled by jealousy and ice
  • Sam Rigney
  • Dozens white folders ran the width of the back bar table in court room 6.1. 36 000 pages
  • Dominant presence in the courtroom & physical presence of the hard work of detectives over past 7 yrs
  • Thousands of man hours, nearly 300 witness statements, the crime scenes, extensive searches, listening devices & telephone intercepts
  • The leads and tip-offs, false sightings and dead ends. The potential suspects and inquiries that led detectives to Tasmania, Western Australia, Queensland and Victoria, as well as contacting authorities and making inquiries overseas. Every one chased up and documented.
  • Case that was based solely on cicrumstantial evidence, began about 9:25pm when Sayle walked into Muswellbrook police to report his girlfriend missing
  • Oct 3rd Sayle gave 1st police interview
  • By Oct 7th detectives knew they were dealing with more than a missing persons case & Strike force Karabi established
  • Core team of strike force -Detective Inspector Ian Wright, Detective Senior Constable Simone Bottrill and Detective Senior Constable Daniel Robins - spent the next three years working tirelessly; chasing down leads, knocking on doors and sifting through hundreds of tips and hours of telephone intercepts to build a case strong enough to charge Newson with murder.
  • Impossible to calculate the number of hours
  • Late 1014 / 15 multiple searches of bushland & dams
  • Crime scenes @ Muswellbrook, Scone, Owen's Gap & Central Coast
  • Trips interstate to speak to and ultimately eliminate potential suspects.
  • Granted warrants to listen in on 10 phones, the man hours to listen became almost overwhelming
  • But among the useless conversations were bits of circumstantial gold that became crucial parts of the prosecution case.
  • Finally, among all the old fashioned police work, was an inventive investigative technique; the "fake crime scene".
  • Carly's skeletal remains were found on 7th Aug 2016, detectives delayed notifying the public for 4 days
  • When they did , they released the "fake " crime scene, a different location on the other side of Bunnan Road at Owens Gap.
  • It was a trap, detectives were intercepting SN's phone calls and hoped he would slip up and reveal something that only someone who had been to the real crime scene would know.
  • It worked . SN rang Steve, Carly's dad and said "he had heard that somebody was in possession of [Carly's] hand"
  • The only people who knew about the hands were police , Carly's parents & forensic staff @ JHH
  • SN later told Steve that he knew the exact location where his daughter's remains had been found. "I've hunted that area, I know that area like the back of my hand,"
    "It's not something I would admit to anyone else because it sounds incriminating."
  • The thoroughness of the investigation made it clear that police had not simply focused on Newson.
  • Followed where the evidence lead them, while others were being gradually eliminated, SN's comments & behaviour after Carly's disappearance kept him until there was no one else left

• During his closing address, Crown prosecutor Lee Carr, SC, sought to cut-off any criticism the defence might aim at the police investigation.
    "You sometimes wonder, did the police have tunnel vision in this? "Did they from day one go, he's our man we're just going to focus all our resources on this bloke. "I would suggest to you that is so far from the reality in this case and you might even find it amusing. "Suspects were not ignored, they were eliminated."

Carly McBride murder trial: killer Sayle Kenneth Newson fueled by jealousy and ice

Paraphrased.....

• SN had a record for supplying & possessing drugs & guns & a history of relationships marred by jealousy & possessiveness
  • Toxic combination , made worse by not just his hands & feet. He seemed to relish threatening or inflicting violence
  • Heavily entrenched in a life of crime
  • Caught running guns & drugs on Gold Coast in 2013, police raided motel at Burleigh Heads finding pistols, rifles, ammunition, amphetamines,, cannabis & $11,000 in cash
  • Suspected by police of conducting similar operation in Hunter around time of Carly's disappeaeance
  • Late 2014 torched a hire car on the central Coast as the rental place was closed over christmas & he couldn't afford the extra fees
  • Ice addiction - went to more than one rehab unit
  • Previous relationship when the woman & family moved from Sydney to a secret location to flee SN
  • Solved problems with violence or threats of violence
  • Caught on listening devices & phone intercepts, talking about how people fear him
  • During police interviews said "I just wanted to front-kick him," Newson told the police about one man who he spoke to about Ms McBride's disappearance. "I just wanted to front-kick through the front door and just, I wanted to bash him to death. I really want to bash him to death. And I was planning on it. I drove out of this town at 200km/h."
  • "Her boyfriends that she's had in the last ten years, and they are evil f---ing things man... they're the sort of guys that I would bash the living f--- out of, drag behind a car and then leave them to die,"
  • Said to police he was not going to act on that jealousy, Carly had been given to him. "For me, I believe that it was meant to be, it was just the way Carly was given to me,"
  • Text exchange between Carly & SN about Carly catching up with an old friend, ended with this from Newson. "I am violent when in this mood and u have no idea bout this part....."
  • In the early hours of October 1, 2014, with Carly missing only a few hours, Newson posted a status update on Facebook: "Never again 14 yrs shoulda told me that."
  • seemed to suggest that Newson felt he had been wronged and was blaming Ms McBride. The post was later deleted
  • But it was a brief insight into his mindset around the time Ms McBride disappeared.

The jealousy, possessiveness and rage had returned.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramsie101
Back