Found Alive Australia - CC, 3, Bundaberg QLD, 10 April 2014 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My apologies for my geographical blunder - but from my many visits to the GC I understood that Tweed is considered part of the GC even though it is in another state.

It's right next door to Coolangatta so yeah, pretty much(though Coolangatta is technically the beginning of the gold coast) You can walk to the gold Coast from most parts of tweed and it's a little hard to actually tell when Coolangatta ends and some parts of tweed begin!

I am so intrigued about the brawl.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national...chloe-qld-police?mch=mobilenh&mchpost=tabloid

Not long before his daughter was found, Mr Campbell, who had been on a drinking binge, was involved in a brawl outside the town's Federal Hotel for which he has since been charged.

I wish they would give us more of an explanation as to why he was even allowed to go on a drinking binge. Seriously, if my daughters got kidnapped I would be right there, I would want the police to rule me out as a suspect, drinking would not be on the agenda. I really find the fact that he chose alcohol over helping to look for his child disturbing. And quite telling... if substances cant be put aside in even these extreme circumstances then something is seriously wrong.

I wish they would give us more of an explanation as to why he was even allowed to go on a drinking binge. Seriously, if my daughters got kidnapped I would be right there, I would want the police to rule me out as a suspect, drinking would not be on the agenda. I really find the fact that he chose alcohol over helping to look for his child disturbing. And quite telling... if substances cant be put aside in even these extreme circumstances then something is seriously wrong.

Agreed and pretty much sums up how I feel about it.

I would imagine the brawl would be GC was likely abused for being intoxicated or high at the pub when people would assume he would be looking for his daughter or by his families side.

I would suggest that if drinking if so ingrained in you and your lifestyle then you'd turn and abuse it to 'cope'. I don't think people living with alcoholism, or substance abuse problems, have a thought pattern as rational as those who don't - or that people under stress as such have a rational process. I know a lot of people who hit the bottle to cope, I don't think it's right and I'm not a drinker so it's not part of my habit, but it's not a far-fetched notion.

Continuing as devil's advocate, there's a possibility that he's been told not to help, he's been told to find someone to stay with, who knows if TO's happy to have him around - he probably did to go what I assume to be his second home - the pub.

I would suggest that if drinking if so ingrained in you and your lifestyle then you'd turn and abuse it to 'cope'. I don't think people living with alcoholism, or substance abuse problems, have a thought pattern as rational as those who don't - or that people under stress as such have a rational process. I know a lot of people who hit the bottle to cope, I don't think it's right and I'm not a drinker so it's not part of my habit, but it's not a far-fetched notion.

Continuing as devil's advocate, there's a possibility that he's been told not to help, he's been told to find someone to stay with, who knows if TO's happy to have him around - he probably did to go what I assume to be his second home - the pub.

Thanks, somethingsilent, somebody has to play devils advocate in this situation, because I think for the average person, this stuff is just mind-blowing. It just seems like something has to be off about this town... we've seen how the people talk, we've heard how they act... it is becoming harder and harder to keep a non-judgemental mind, so thank you for keeping a fair mind.

I guess it goes with the way I grew up and I have a fair amount of experience with families similar, friends from school now I see (well, look up on facebook) some of them as similar. I grew up in a bit of it. (I've broken the cycle, I'm normal. Kinda.)

ETA: It amuses my husband when we drive places and I recall fond memories of sitting at *that pub* waiting for dad to finish work and come and join "us" (being mum, my siblings and sometimes some family friends) - he was bought up in such a good house/family that it's unheard of to have the kids around as much alcohol as we were exposed to!

I agree ... an addict is an addict ... that comes first, if that is the case here, of course. And for all we know, GC may not have been quite as concerned about Chloe's welfare as we all imagine. He may have 'felt' (read that as known) that she was safe somewhere, and was more upset by the distress that was being caused to Tammy and the other children. Being with Tammy and the children during this period of their distress may have been very hard to face up to.

I guess it goes with the way I grew up and I have a fair amount of experience with families similar, friends from school now I see (well, look up on facebook) some of them as similar. I grew up in a bit of it. (I've broken the cycle, I'm normal. Kinda.)

ETA: It amuses my husband when we drive places and I recall fond memories of sitting at *that pub* waiting for dad to finish work and come and join "us" (being mum, my siblings and sometimes some family friends) - he was bought up in such a good house/family that it's unheard of to have the kids around as much alcohol as we were exposed to!

Is there any extra light you can shed on these kind of people given your past experience (sorry if that sounds like I'm treating them like zoo animals). And well done for breaking the cycle :)

ETA: Sorry that really does sound judgemental, I'm just really interested in the mind set... there seems to be a lack of education/career ambition going on, is that what it's like in rural areas.

Is there any extra light you can shed on these kind of people given your past experience (sorry if that sounds like I'm treating them like zoo animals). And well done for breaking the cycle :)

ETA: Sorry that really does sound judgemental, I'm just really interested in the mind set... there seems to be a lack of education/career ambition going on, is that what it's like in rural areas.
Nah, just once you're in it it's so hard to get out. Most of the people I'm thinking of and referring to had babies very young, continue to live in housing commission (government housing), generally end up single, not very bright (sorry) and that's a big reason why they can't get out - they don't have the skills, or the knowledge to acquire the skills - they end up as they now - then there's the self-worth. It's a hard life, really.

My upbringing was slightly different to the ones I refer, slightly. And the main difference I believe is that both my parents worked to make it through. The families who continue the cycle tended to be poor with either both parents unemployed, or only one working very low-wage jobs.

I also think I have a little bit of smarts to recognise it all and get out - thankfully all my siblings are. :)

This all said - I can guarantee that if something like this had happened when I was a kid, my mum would've been drinking out of the bottle.

I'm grouchy about this today ! I don't understand the delay. If dad was threatened then he does know WHO BY. Period! If he's refusing to talk now , then I am full of TOS to say. Right? They've already taken your baby and you're very lucky she's alive and home with you . What more do you need to compel you to talk? I can understand not wanting to ' rat ' out someone because you're afraid of what they might do. They stole your child. What now ? Time to spill the beans and failure to do so is "" Schmae + TOS = ban " :)

Oh dear. I was assuming she was unhurt but DNA samples? Given she is a 3 year old and around a lot of people i think it would have to be very specifically located dna to make them look for matches

They also took fingerprints and footprints from those people. It may just have been to do with the window and car at the house, I think.

No reason for anyone but family members to be touching the window and car (especially if the car was parked there because it wasn't running - which is what I suspect - they seem to be known for walking to town).

http://www.news.com.au/national/que...e-nation-on-edge/story-fnii5v6w-1226883039144

My apologies for my geographical blunder - but from my many visits to the GC I understood that Tweed is considered part of the GC even though it is in another state.

My brother lives in Coolangatta and we walk to Tweed Heads all the time.
Don't even think we are in another state..Just seems to be a continuation of the rest of the suburbs going to Brisbane. I'm thinking I'm actually crossing the border every time I go to Tweed Heads. JMOO

Why are they appealing to people who have travelled through there at all ... something going on near the local servo or fast food place ... somewhere travellers may stop? (For example: there was a McDonald's employee connection to this case at one point, right?)

Just jumping off your post...

when I first read about the Campbell's living near the show grounds... I was thinking of our US fair grounds that hold yearly city/state fairs...

Lots of carnival rides... As well as food booths, game booths, livestock, petting "zoos", trinket selling booths, beverage booths, etc...

was there a fair or carnival held there in the last few months?

People who work in fairs travel through a great deal of towns...

:waitasec:

Nah, just once you're in it it's so hard to get out. Most of the people I'm thinking of and referring to had babies very young, continue to live in housing commission (government housing), generally end up single, not very bright (sorry) and that's a big reason why they can't get out - they don't have the skills, or the knowledge to acquire the skills - they end up as they now - then there's the self-worth. It's a hard life, really.

My upbringing was slightly different to the ones I refer, slightly. And the main difference I believe is that both my parents worked to make it through. The families who continue the cycle tended to be poor with either both parents unemployed, or only one working very low-wage jobs.

I also think I have a little bit of smarts to recognise it all and get out - thankfully all my siblings are. :)

This all said - I can guarantee that if something like this had happened when I was a kid, my mum would've been drinking out of the bottle.

Thank you for the insight, I imagined it would be a break the cycle situation, and it seems like the perfect storm of factors keeps that cycle going and going for some of these people. I guess growing up without a strong work ethic, and not valuing education this would be the result. It kind of helps to not be as judgemental when you realise there is a reason people are the way they are, although I hope Chloe and her siblings are able to break their cycle. Doesn't seem like a very pleasant life. I'm glad your upbringing was different :)

I'm grouchy about this today ! I don't understand the delay. If dad was threatened then he does know WHO BY. Period! If he's refusing to talk now , then I am full of TOS to say. Right? They've already taken your baby and you're very lucky she's alive and home with you . What more do you need to compel you to talk? I can understand not wanting to ' rat ' out someone because you're afraid of what they might do. They stole your child. What now ? Time to spill the beans and failure to do so is "" Schmae + TOS = ban " :)

^^^ This... it is so frustrating, as if they don't know who did this. Also they're wasting precious police resources.

^^^ This... it is so frustrating, as if they don't know who did this. Also they're wasting precious police resources.

And what if the kindappers are now planning a bigger attack , since the kidnapping , in essence 'failed' ? I'd be afraid they'd come kill the family or something. This is really out of hand. At the point someone would swipe a child for any kind of debt/ grudge, they are very , very dangerous and would do anything . mooo

Thank you for the insight, I imagined it would be a break the cycle situation, and it seems like the perfect storm of factors keeps that cycle going and going for some of these people. I guess growing up without a strong work ethic, and didn't value education this would be the result. It kind of helps to not be as judgemental when you realise there is a reason people are the way they are, although I hope Chloe and her siblings are able to break their cycle. Doesn't seem like a very pleasant life. I'm glad your upbringing was different :)

When I grew up I knew many people (friends) who were on the lower echelon of society. People with little to no jobs not because they were lazy but illiterate in some cases, unskilled, uneducated. Drinking was the thing that held people together in many ways, the pub was the center of friends, family and life. The biggest thing to remember is they are many good people, just ones without the chances or the skills/motivation to climb out of the rung they are on.

Lots of love albeit often rough and tumble love, not many coping skills so the bottle was turned to during times of stress which didn't help things but its what they knew. It is easy to say that one would be searching or doing something else but if you fall apart then how do you cope? If you haven't learned the skills, if you can't trust LE, if you manage just to put food on the table for the kids but not anything more, how do you cope during a crisis?

We (most of us) have all sorts of tools for coping and strategizing, if we don't have it we know its there somewhere if we ask for help. That in itself is a learned skill, to ask for help and trust it will be forthcoming. But there is a whole subset of people with addictions, within grinding poverty, with low self esteem, who are desperately trying their best to raise families but are over their heads and when something happens retreat to what they know best to dull the fear and the pain and the stress. I don't judge them as bad people or parents, just ones who don't have the advantages I have had to even know how life can be different

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member