Australia - Cecilia Haddad, 38, found deceased 29th April 2018 *arrest in Brazil*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Interesting wording here ‘is a person of interest & not a suspect’

Police have said Mario Marcelo Santoro, 40, is a person of interest - not a suspect - in the murder investigation after Ms Haddad’s body was found floating in a Sydney river last Sunday.

Murdered mining exec's former lover 'at disposal' of detectives

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In the only local murder where I live, the police kept saying that the husband was not a suspect, but about 12 months later he was charged and found guilty. The lead detective wrote a book about it when he retired and it was clear that he was a suspect from day one.

'Help us understand what happened to her?' Friends of murdered Brazilian executive, 38, BEG her ex-lover to talk to police about the weeks leading up to her dumped body being found
The grieving best friend of murdered woman Cecilia Haddad has issued a plea to her ex-boyfriend: 'Please speak to police and help us understand what happened to her'.

A day after Marcelo Santoro's family claimed he would return to Australia 'to clear his name', Ms Haddad's close friend Ebony Heane has begged him to follow through.

'Help us understand what happened to her?' Friends of murdered Brazilian executive, 38, BEG her ex-lover to talk to police about the weeks leading up to her dumped body being found

Cecilia Haddad’s ex-boyfriend reportedly to return from Brazil to talk to police

Aunt says nephew will return to Australia with documents to prove he returned to Brazil to visit dying father

Police were not aware that Santoro was planning to return to Australia.

The woman told the Australian that Haddad had been “like family” but she had never been Santoro’s lover, which contradicts other accounts from Haddad’s family, friends and police.

Cecilia Haddad’s ex-boyfriend reportedly to return from Brazil to talk to police

Cecilia Haddad was 'killed inside her Ryde apartment' a day before she was found in river

‘Cecilia Haddad was killed inside her Ryde apartment the day before her fully clothed body was found in the Lane Cove River, Fairfax Media understands.

It is believed that a combination of physical, forensic, corroborative and circumstantial evidence formed the brief that police presented to a Sydney magistrate earlier this month to issue an arrest warrant for Ms Haddad's former partner Mario Marcelo Santoro, and trigger the complex international process of a criminal trial when the suspect is not in Australia.

Mr Santoro, a Brazilian national, will never be extradited to Australia for her alleged murder, but he may still face justice in his native Brazil.’

‘If found guilty in Brazil, Mr Santoro could serve a local jail sentence. Brazilian law prescribes 12 to 30 years for murder, depending on motive.’

More at link (click on headline above).

Cecilia Haddad was 'killed inside her Ryde apartment' a day before she was found in river

‘Cecilia Haddad was killed inside her Ryde apartment the day before her fully clothed body was found in the Lane Cove River, Fairfax Media understands.

It is believed that a combination of physical, forensic, corroborative and circumstantial evidence formed the brief that police presented to a Sydney magistrate earlier this month to issue an arrest warrant for Ms Haddad's former partner Mario Marcelo Santoro, and trigger the complex international process of a criminal trial when the suspect is not in Australia.

Mr Santoro, a Brazilian national, will never be extradited to Australia for her alleged murder, but he may still face justice in his native Brazil.’

‘If found guilty in Brazil, Mr Santoro could serve a local jail sentence. Brazilian law prescribes 12 to 30 years for murder, depending on motive.’

More at link (click on headline above).

So not as 'clear cut' as I thought.
What a 'bummer'.

Last edited:

Cecilia Haddad's ex 'shouted, banged on door, paced outside apartment' in harrowing final phone call
The mother of Sydney businesswoman Cecilia Haddad has revealed she overheard her daughter's ex clamouring to be let into her apartment during their final phone conversation.
I heard Marcelo’s voice outside, saying he wanted to come in,” Ms Muller said.

“Cecilia told him to go away, but he carried on banging and shouting for her to let him in.

"So she told him that if he didn’t go away she would call the police.

“After a while he stopped, then I heard Cecilia telling him: ‘Stop walking up and down the corridor, I can hear your footsteps’.

I was alarmed by what I was hearing. I said to her, ‘Be very careful with this man’.”

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.9news.com.au/article/6e11d40f-a9ed-4800-b099-75a5fbdebd7b

A few minutes ago, on Channel 9 news, Cecilia's ex was contacted, answering his mobile phone: Channel 9 being in Brazil.
Loads info, if someone can add. I will try.

Mr Santoro, stated he will phone back.
Channel 9 is still 'waiting;.

A few minutes ago, on Channel 9 news, Cecilia's ex was contacted, answering his mobile phone: Channel 9 being in Brazil.

Video here: Twitter

Nine News Sydney
@9NewsSyd

Australia's most wanted man has told @9News he's devastated he's the number one suspect in the murder of his girlfriend in Sydney. @DamoNews is #LIVE. #9News

I saw it too. The mongrel has taken off and authorities can’t find him, Channel9 obtained his mobile number and he was playing the victim because this has upset his life and too many reporters are calling him.

Video here: Twitter

Nine News Sydney
@9NewsSyd

Australia's most wanted man has told @9News he's devastated he's the number one suspect in the murder of his girlfriend in Sydney. @DamoNews is #LIVE. #9News
I have to admit (selfishly) I can’t stand the media most of the time as they are vultures. Great for us to quote things but in instances like this.....
I love them !! “I’ll call you” honestly when he realised they were in Brazil you could here him panic ! Creep. I hope they diplomatic wrangle for as long as needed until he is locked away.

I have to admit (selfishly) I can’t stand the media most of the time as they are vultures. Great for us to quote things but in instances like this.....
I love them !! “I’ll call you” honestly when he realised they were in Brazil you could here him panic ! Creep. I hope they diplomatic wrangle for as long as needed until he is locked away.

Could LE locate where that phone was during the call.
I’m warming to big brother.

On Channel 7 news tonight.
Channel 7, tried to speak to Santoro's father.
His father walked away, not answering any questions.
It is thought, the son is in 'hiding' in Rio.
This Creep may refuse to speak to Australian Detectives: this is permitted. :eek:

So I guess, even if he is found, he does not need to answer anything.
How long would negotiations with Australia be required, for any 'results', and possible Justice for Cecilia?
No wonder, Creep ran immediately, knowing he would be 'protected' in Brazil.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MZ_Iwin
Back