Australia Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
i agree, it didn't need to be hi-tech ...just having a name would make referring to the white pages for a phone number as easy as abc✔️
If the attack involved some pre or post stalking, it could be as uncomplicated as having gleaned a name from unshredded documents discarded in the trash can, or from a letter taken from her mailbox (this happened to SiK)
But if this victim's "menacing call report" was following the home invasion attack, the theory of intruder having noted the number written on the actual telephone itself, i think is the strongest possibility.
I also remember - back in those days - that if you dialled "199" a recorded message would quote you the number you were dialling from.

There has been previous mention and theories as to the offender(s) choosing to not be seen or heard (ie covering the face & remaining silent throughout assault(s).
To me the most obvious lkely reason for that is - that by some walk of life/ in some capacity - they were already known to the victim, and this is another method by which victim's phone number may have been accessed.

Then again, anyone employed in a position requiring to sight another's ID (eg. LE, bouncers, purchasing alcohol, credit etc ...the list is endless) could have memorised & subsequently stalked/searched a name in the white pages.
for all we know, the perp may have been standing behind her in the queue if&when she joined up at eg. the public library
I have previously given my personal advice on situations requiring to produce one's ID - that it should always be done most discreetly to avoid onlookers, and when asked to recite personal details, better to provide them by written means (eg. ID or business card) rather than verbally, to prevent those within cooee from becoming privy!

[emoji887]

It can be as simple as grabbing a phone bill out of the victims handbag or letterbox. Instant name ,address, phone number

It can be as simple as grabbing a phone bill out of the victims handbag or letterbox. Instant name ,address, phone number

Weaver, I'll try to shed some light on this ongoing drama. Yesterday a few posters were speculating if BE was the one who'd made the phone call to the earlier victim. I remembered that after the KK rape someone had found the victims licence in the park. Previously i among other posters had assumed it had dropped out in the struggle. However, when you consider the earlier victims phone call I began to think that maybe BE had taken the KK victims licence deliberately to make contact later and the possibility that therefore the two crimes may be linked. How the conversation morphed into reverse directories and dry cleaners who have purchased reverse directories I'll never know. One of the many mysteries and quirks of this site. I agree, it's was very simple in the 90s to get a number from the white pages once you had an ID. The initial discission was about the MO of taking the ID not really how to get the number after that.

When I lived in Melbourne for a year I saw a bloke at a Block of flats who gloated he was making free calls using an phone handpiece with a dialer from an old phone, a capacitor and some alligator clips he'd attach to some random phone lines in a junction box. He reckoned he'd listen first to make sure no one was using the line, then make his calls. This wasn't even Kevin Mitnick stuff. Told him he was an idiot and would get caught. Never thought anything of it since. But if the method worked back then, I wouldn't take much to eavesdrop at an exchange.

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

Weaver, I'll try to shed some light on this ongoing drama. Yesterday a few posters were speculating if BE was the one who'd made the phone call to the earlier victim. I remembered that after the KK rape someone had found the victims licence in the park. Previously i among other posters had assumed it had dropped out in the struggle. However, when you consider the earlier victims phone call I began to think that maybe BE had taken the KK victims licence deliberately to make contact later and the possibility that therefore the two crimes may be linked. How the conversation morphed into reverse directories and dry cleaners who have purchased reverse directories I'll never know. One of the many mysteries and quirks of this site. I agree, it's was very simple in the 90s to get a number from the white pages once you had an ID. The initial discission was about the MO of taking the ID not really how to get the number after that.

Thank you CP345. Think i'll have an iced vovo and a cup of tea then lie down for a bit......oh crap...I mentioned biscuits

Obviously it would not have made the newspaper if he had known her address or the rape was committed at the premises.

I dare say it wouldn't have made the paper this week either. Police would have said the same as you otherwise. Its not simple. The perp would have to known the victims address. Obviously the victim and police have reason to believe otherwise otherwise they wouldnt have bothered with the newspaper article.

What is great is that the longer the case lingers, the more information and other potential vicitms will come forward to police with evidence. This article is indicative of why the DPP has nothing to lose on stalling the trial.

Let the evidence roll in. No doubt after 8 weeks of adjournment there maybe another 8 weeks to collate the vast amount of evidence.

When I lived in Melbourne for a year I saw a bloke at a Block of flats who gloated he was making free calls using an phone handpiece with a dialer from an old phone, a capacitor and some alligator clips he'd attach to some random phone lines in a junction box. He reckoned he'd listen first to make sure no one was using the line, then make his calls. This wasn't even Kevin Mitnick stuff. Told him he was an idiot and would get caught. Never thought anything of it since. But if the method worked back then, I wouldn't take much to eavesdrop at an exchange.

Believe it or not doing that was how Steve Jobs and Wozniak got interested in electronics back in the day. There was a whole underground community doing it. If you find the cupboard where the pairs are in an apartment complex you can double up the wires and eavesdrop on any phone. Highly illegal but still. I believe the exchange is a giant version of the same thing. You could listen if you wanted but I'm really not sure it's related to this case.

even less complex than that, weaver.
I once received a phone call at home from a male i sometimes spoke to at the shopping centre - i had no idea how he got my silent number. I was shocked and promptly hung up. He didn't ring again. To this day i can only surmise he must have looked thru my car window and seen the number on the phone bill because, until that time, i'd pay the bills, and without thinking, would naively leave them on the seat of my car before heading into the supermarket to shop for groceries.
[emoji887]

even less complex than that, weaver.
I once received a phone call at home from a male i sometimes spoke to at the shopping centre - i had no idea how he got my silent number. I was shocked and promptly hung up. He didn't ring again. To this day i can only surmise he must have looked thru my car window and seen the number on the phone bill because, until that time, i'd pay the bills, and without thinking, would naively leave them on the seat of my car before heading into the supermarket to shop for groceries.

Geez, that's not the best pick up line. Hey hope you don't mind but I watched what car you came from looked inside and grabbed your number off the bill on the seat. Feel like catching up for dinner sometime soon? I know this great little place down the street...

If the bloke has raped the woman he clearly has access to her property/bag/name. The victim was [Ulikely miffed[/U] because of the further distress caused by the phone call. Its a very long bow to draw that the alleged rapist had access to databases etc. The logical explanation is that he saw/stole some ID from the victim

In my opinion, a victim of sexual assault would be terrified, if someone claiming to be the perpetrator of the crime against them subsequently contacted them by telephone, rather than being 'likely miffed'.

and that happened more than people would like to imagine.

In my opinion, a victim of sexual assault would be terrified, if someone claiming to be the perpetrator of the crime against them subsequently contacted them by telephone, rather than being 'likely miffed'.

I was quoting 'likely miffed' from another poster. As a victim of prolonged childhood sexual abuse, I agree with your observation, I was terrified of my abuser (a priest) and I knew who he was. This poor girl didnt even know who it was. He died in the past few weeks and i'm still terrified of him

I don't normally post, but will say how pathetic is this garbage news to post about his daughter visiting him like duh, he is
after all a father to the poor girl and the media should just leave her alone as this is so hard for her right now!

I feel so much for this young woman, her world would be ripped apart, certainly its not a case of sins of the father to be blamed on her, it puts a lot of pressure on her, maybe pressure on her social circle who may feel they have to take "sides" "take a stand" leaving her without a support base.
There are some things the media don't need to report and I personally feel this is one of those times.

I was quoting 'likely miffed' from another poster. As a victim of prolonged childhood sexual abuse, I agree with your observation, I was terrified of my abuser (a priest) and I knew who he was. This poor girl didnt even know who it was. He died in the past few weeks and i'm still terrified of him

I'm sorry to hear you were sexually abused as a child, Weaver, and thank you for clarifying that statement. No one should minimise the trauma experienced by a victim of crime, either during or subsequent to the event.

I feel so much for this young woman, her world would be ripped apart, certainly its not a case of sins of the father to be blamed on her, it puts a lot of pressure on her, maybe pressure on her social circle who may feel they have to take "sides" "take a stand" leaving her without a support base.
There are some things the media don't need to report and I personally feel this is one of those times.
Nobody is blaming her for the actions of her stepfather. But we sure are waiting to see what reaction BRE's family have over the coming months. Who in his family thinks he is capable of the accusations. Possibly the weight of the evidence having an impact on who visits BRE and who doesn't.

If people don't think that fact isn't of interest then good on you. You defy human nature and you're a bigger person than I am. They just reported she visited him. Hardly an invasion of privacy when everyone knows her name, well before it was mentioned in any paper.

Nobody is blaming her for the actions of her stepfather. But we sure are waiting to see what reaction BRE's family have over the coming months. Who in his family thinks he is capable of the accusations. Possibly the weight of the evidence having an impact on who visits BRE and who doesn't.

If people don't think that fact isn't of interest then good on you. You defy human nature and you're a bigger person than I am. They just reported she visited him. Hardly an invasion of privacy when everyone knows her name, well before it was mentioned in any paper.

I agree Grok. I certainly feel for the family but by reporting she's visiting I can't see how this is adding significantly to what's already out there or adding to an invasion of privacy. If she didn't want to maintain a public connection to her step father she could always have deleted him off her Facebook. It's not as if he'd even know she'd done it from where he is. As for her friends seeing the news I can tell you now that I wouldn't be writing off any friend of mine who found themselves in the same position.

Seeing as though 90% of the online 'news' these days is somebody linking to a non story on the huffington post or linking to a get rich quick scheme I'm actually quite impressed they're creating some of their own content lately.

This what I thought the earphone test diagram was first.
I thought the diagram posted from 'The Post' was an old phone pillar wiring diagram. An old exchange as suchand an earphone test to ensure the node was wired correctly.
Linesmen used to use have a phone they hook into to test the line.
They would set up a little Telecom tent and off they go.
The technicians phone was made sure there was no line noise etc.
But around the time of these particular crimes, there was analogue mobile phones and analogue hands free home sets common in these areas.
You could sit in a car nearby with a scanner and tune into peoples discussions without touching a wire.

I'm sorry to hear you were sexually abused as a child, Weaver, and thank you for clarifying that statement. No one should minimise the trauma experienced by a victim of crime, either during or subsequent to the event.

It might have been me Bo. I thought I had referenced the police but its hard on thr little pissy screen.
Sad to here Weaver was abused. Which priest was it Weaver? Tell us?
He died a few weeks back?

It might have been me Bo. I thought I had referenced the police but its hard on thr little pissy screen.
Sad to here Weaver was abused. Which priest was it Weaver? Tell us?
He died a few weeks back?

George Parker Charged 23/12/16 died 11/01/17/ I testified at the RC as CKA

Horrible isn't it that they reported she visited an alleged killer. Probably not as bad as the three women's families who had the press hounding them for 20 years and striped away their privacy and they were on the victims side. But it's all relative isn't it.

Nah, not horrible at all. I dont think anyone has made judgement. Its expected, even from a step daughter.
I take a mother to see her sons on prison. Multiple armed robberies from drug debts.
I certainly have no hatred for the alleged.
Hoping they have the right person who is removed from the public arena and made the community safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellieshoes