Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #16

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's my understanding the kimono featured heavily in the press as possibly being connected to the murder of Victoria Clarke in Victoria Park which would be quite frightening. When the police talk to the press, more often than not the messaging is for the perpetrator, not the public so perhaps they knew all along where that kimono came from, the actual owner connected to BRE and it was an attempt to exert pressure.

I think it's possible someone back then covered up for BRE.
Good points

Police may have known owner of kimono already.

I wonder why WAPOL made the link to Victoria Clarke crime?
I know we've discussed this crime here on WS - who can recall what we came up with?

Posts are purely my own opinion unless otherwise stated with source links. All my original text and images remain exclusively my personal copyright.
[emoji317][emoji317][emoji317]
Whoever it was, might've just grabbed it off the line at the victims address to use as a glove to open the door and wear it as a head covering to mask his identity. As such it would've hindered his escape, so he ditched it IMO. Maybe it was his hair that they DNA matched?
But still, holding it up without gloves on might prove problematic. IMO
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161224/ce7e6d9116023f4a9e17b42bb2a410e3.jpg

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

Whoever it was, might've just grabbed it off the line at the victims address to use as a glove to open the door and wear it as a head covering to mask his identity. As such it would've hindered his escape, so he ditched it IMO. Maybe it was his hair that they DNA matched?

Yes, let's hope that's A kimono and not THE kimono.

I'm thinking that the kimono while could have been used as a covering, not the greatest choice being shiny satin and bright white when a darker fabric would have been more suitable for creeping around in the dark and breaking into people's houses. Suspect more likely a paraphilia / the kimono to be of erotic significance.

Things aren't always what they seem for example it was terrifying for JC and shouldn't have happened but from the other person's perspective he could have been infatuated with her and trying to get her attention. I found an old paper clipping last week about a man who had been infatuated with a girl he saw at the Subiaco Markets. He followed her home and kept rifling through her mail until he found a phone number then called her several times pretending to be a police officer. He was caught and charged then nicked off to Kalgoorlie adding failing to appear to his count. This was recorded in the Kalgoorlie Miner but I don't have a date on it.

Kalgoorlie Miner 9 April 2002 details offender receiving 12 months jail.

Yes possibly ....

BUT

Picture of kimono was in the newspapers in 1988 and probably news reports on TV.
Surely if you owned the kimono you'd see the paper or TV and say 'hey that's MY kimono'!!!

Posts are purely my own opinion unless otherwise stated with source links. All my original text and images remain exclusively my personal copyright.
Yes it was in the newspaper back in the late 1980s and again in 2017. Horrible to say but perhaps the person is deceased. We need to have a look at what victims were before the Huntingdale attack. Only my thoughts and opinion.

Without gloves and rubbing up against the cops own clothes! The lack of gloves are the least of the problems!

I thought reports said kimono DID NOT belong to HD victim????

I just wanted to mention something that I think I'm really late to the party for and it has probably been discussed in previous threads but that psychic identikit done in 2008 by Scott Russell North is dead ringer for BRE. Some of the other things he and 2 other psychics mentioned doesnt match what we know but I cabnot call bull on everything when the identikit is that exact. I'm not saying I'm a psychic believer but in 2008 there were no suspects that looked like that!

It's my understanding the kimono featured heavily in the press as possibly being connected to the murder of Victoria Clarke in Victoria Park which would be quite frightening. When the police talk to the press, more often than not the messaging is for the perpetrator, not the public so perhaps they knew all along where that kimono came from, the actual owner connected to BRE and it was an attempt to exert pressure.

I think it's possible someone back then covered up for BRE.

You might cover up for BRE if you thought he could be responsible for murder not jut a indecent assault?
attachment.php
Kimono clue to a brutal killing. The West Australian February 17 1988.

Linking clue on kimono left at Huntingdale attack to the murder of Victoria Clark in September 1997. Clue turns out to be DNA, as announced by Karl OCallahan in news conference announcing arrest of BRE.

Cops and crims in Australia likely not to know too much about DNA in 1988. First conviction using DNA in 2001 in Australia. However, was being used for conviction in England in 1986.

• In 1986, Richard Buckland was exonerated, despite having admitted to the rape and murder of a teenager near Leicester, the city where DNA profiling was first developed. This was the first use of DNA fingerprinting in a criminal investigation, and the first to prove a suspect's innocence.[SUP][63][/SUP] The following year Colin Pitchfork was identified as the perpetrator of the same murder, in addition to another, using the same techniques that had cleared Buckland.[SUP][64][/SUP]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_profiling

Interesting reports after Feb 1988 where they link South side rapist to VC and Vanessa Devlin. Would they have also got matching DNA or evidence from Vanessa Devlin?

The West Australian June 18[SUP]th,[/SUP] 1988, page 1. By Steve Lague. New Southside murder hunt.

Police find partially clothed body of Vanessa Roberta Devlin 23 years old.

Certain similarities to other attacks by south side rapist.

Found on floor of a sleepout at the rear of an Albany Highway house. House is 100m from highway and no close neighbours with a railway line running alongside.

South side rapist may be responsible for more than 16 attacks on women in the past 2 years. They include the murder of Victoria Clark aged 30.

Suspect is mid 20’s 175 cm tall medium build, dark curly hair and brown eyes.

Police unwilling to say just one man was responsible. Maybe shift worker.

I just wanted to mention something that I think I'm really late to the party for and it has probably been discussed in previous threads but that psychic identikit done in 2008 by Scott Russell North is dead ringer for BRE. Some of the other things he and 2 other psychics mentioned doesnt match what we know but I cabnot call bull on everything when the identikit is that exact. I'm not saying I'm a psychic believer but in 2008 there were no suspects that looked like that!

Which online photo are you basing this likeness on?
Can u please post the Psychic identikit photo with photo of the accused here ?

attachment.php

This southside rapist identikit was posted on web sleuths, sorry not sure who by and has approximate date on it. I think psychic identikit was very accurate and has been posted on websleuths a few times.

Seems that there was another attack in May 1988 and then Vanessa Devlin's sexual assault and murder on June 17th 1988. The description they put out for VD may have been influenced by this description and sketch. They were unwilling to say just one may responsible.

The Sunday Times 19th June 1988 pg 1 Murder Hunt Car Clue
Police investigating the brutal sex murder of Vanessa Roberta Devlin, 23, have appealed to the public to help in the search for a man who gave her a lift to her Maddington house just before she was murdered. The man was seen arriving in a metallic green Datsun 260c sedan and is believed to be the last person to see her alive… It had mag wheels, stickers on the rear windscreen and black and yellow registration plates.

The murder had occurred between 11.30 am and 2.00pm on Friday (17[SUP]th[/SUP] June 1988). Her body was discovered about 3 pm by the other occupant of the house, Mr Max Carroll. She was lying in a rear bedroom naked from the waist down and had been strangled with an electrical cord. Police sources said it appeared Miss Devlin had been strangled while she was being raped. The sources said there were marked differences between her killing and that of Victoria Clarke – but a link between them had not been discounted.

“There is every chance it is the same person involved, but we just can’t say” said S Kiernan. “There are indications and some evidence to support a connection.”

Sgt Katich said they are “extremely confident” the man seen driving the Datson could explain what had happened on Friday.

Which online photo are you basing this likeness on?
Can u please post the Psychic identikit photo with photo of the accused here ?

If you read this link the first comment by 'Ange' and the end of her comment it says click this link for picture. Every other link now says article cannot be found with previous links http://m.essentialkids.com.au/forums/index.php?/topic/604881-sensitive-claremont-serial-killer/

I thought reports said kimono DID NOT belong to HD victim????

From memory, this was the scenario….. Back in 1988 when the Huntingdale attacker dropped the kimono, the police thought it was the same person who had raped and killed the lady in Leonard St, Victoria Park. A police officer held up the kimono, which was in the paper. At that stage, the Victoria Park perpetrator hadn’t been caught.

Yes possibly ....

BUT

Picture of kimono was in the newspapers in 1988 and probably news reports on TV.
Surely if you owned the kimono you'd see the paper or TV and say 'hey that's MY kimono'!!!

Sorry, but I'm confused... where did it say they were looking for the owner, or didn't know, who owned the kimono? All I recall reading was that it was stolen off a washing line. Ergo, someone reported it stolen. Presumably the owner. Am I missing something?

Sorry I can't reply with quote to inner child.

Regarding newspaper clipping:

Victoria Clarke? Any more details?
16 attacks? WTF?
Black and yellow # plates? NSW perhaps?

Black and yellow number plates were WA plates in 80's.

David Troy Masters confesses to VC's murder in 1991 when he is arrested for murder of 21 year old backpacker in NT. He would have been 21 in 1987. Served 7 years in Qland and then extradited to WA and given another 7 years non parole period for VC's sexual assault and murder. However laws changed while locked up and he is still in goal 26 years later, not looking happy.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...l/news-story/caabadc94c068367a745b2fea510be56

End result is that kimono evidence with BRE's DNA on it is put away and forgotten about for years.

As far as I'm aware the south side rapist was never found.

Datson type car with mag wheels also wanted in çonnection with the abduction and murder of Kerry Turner in 1991 is never found as far as Im aware.

Attachments

• Psychic taskforce_Identikit.JPG
    Psychic taskforce_Identikit.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 184
  • Southside_Rapist_Identikit_May_1988.JPG
    Southside_Rapist_Identikit_May_1988.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 184
attachment.php
attachment.php

• Source 1: Psychic identikit done in 2008 by Scott Russell Hill Source 2: Daily News est. May 1988​

I wonder whether the Psychic combined the pictures the front of the Southside rapist identikit with the MM from the CIA episode maybe not intentionally. I have seen that picture before on Websleuths I feel compared to other faces.

So was the footage of JR and MM released in 2008? I still feel like the eyes and features are very similar and the footage of MM was too blurry for them to be able to do a straught copy. I'm very impressed with the identikit.

So was the footage of JR and MM released in 2008? I still feel like the eyes and features are very similar and the footage of MM was too blurry for them to be able to do a straught copy. I'm very impressed with the identikit.

Who do you think the above posts identikit looks like?

IMO, it doesn't look a bit like anyone ever under suspicion, or a possible suspect as discussed in this CSK thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rose2024