Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
CG and BE started LA in 2000, finished 2013 season.
Source http://www.blac.asn.au/add_files/club_portal/reports/report2013.pdf

Thanks for that, was interesting reading. His command of English is pretty good - only one typo that I could spot: secretary's instead of secretaries.

Considering the years he spent at LA, he'd have been known pretty closely by other committee members. I wish one of them would jump on here for 5 minutes to tell us a bit about what he was like, even if it's incredibly mundane.

I found it interesting when he thanked Catherine for helping him step out of his 'comfort zone' to fill the role in the first place. Whether that means he was shy, or lazy, I'm not sure. You'd have to say it appears he lead an incredibly unremarkable life for 99.9% of the time.

Thanks for that, was interesting reading. His command of English is pretty good - only one typo that I could spot: secretary's instead of secretaries.

SNIP (by me)

I found it interesting when he thanked Catherine for helping him step out of his 'comfort zone' to fill the role in the first place. Whether that means he was shy, or lazy, I'm not sure. You'd have to say it appears he lead an incredibly unremarkable life for 99.9% of the time.

Maybe he did not write it, or write all of it.

Maybe he just approved it, or someone else drafted it or edited and approved it, or added in parts of it.

Maybe he did not write it, or write all of it.

Maybe he just approved it, or someone else drafted it or edited and approved it, or added in parts of it.

It's possible, but if they're all volunteers, it's likely they're doing it themselves. I'm on my daughter's kinder committee. If I asked someone to do my work, they'd laugh at me. But yes I admit, anything is possible.

It's possible, but if they're all volunteers, it's likely they're doing it themselves. I'm on my daughter's kinder committee. If I asked someone to do my work, they'd laugh at me. But yes I admit, anything is possible.

Agreed!
IMO They would write their own reports.

Posts are purely my own opinion unless otherwise stated with source links. All my original text and images remain exclusively my personal copyright.
[emoji317][emoji317][emoji317]

Justyna Kozoil went missing in Denham (24 March 2014). She also had blond hair blue eyes 160cm (5ft 2”). 7am Tradewinds Seafront apartments (Polish National). Link MPR

Note: Both both last seen in daylight (early AM), had blonde hair, blue eyes and not very tall.

Interesting. Lisa Govan was only 155cm or not quite 5'1". Last seen 7.30am in Kalgoorlie, October 1999.

I have read beforehand that CGE and BRE broke up in 2015. I'll try and locate the newspaper article.

Ok thanks

Posts are purely my own opinion unless otherwise stated with source links. All my original text and images remain exclusively my personal copyright.

"While the DNA link (edit: between KK, CG, and Kimono) did not give them a name for that person, it did provide detectives with fresh investigative opportunities contained within the pages of the 1988 case file. As a result of re-examining that case, The Weekend West understands a major breakthrough — the details of which are not yet clear — came within weeks."

https://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-west-australian/20161224/282544427961345

[FONT=Droid Serif, DroidSerifRegular, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]IMO familial DNA did not lead WAPOL to BRE, otherwise if a family member's DNA was on file, then this would've given WAPOL a 'name' to chase.[/FONT]
[FONT=Droid Serif, DroidSerifRegular, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]They had no name. [/FONT]
[FONT=Droid Serif, DroidSerifRegular, Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Just investigative notes from 1988.
So probably the accused was on the radar back in 1988, but they couldn't nail him back then

Sad state of affairs if this turns out to be the case.[/FONT]

"A former workmate and friend of Adrian Bayley told police last year that he had had conversations with Bayley about having sex with drunken girls, and about how it would feel to kill someone.
The pair allegedly discussed the Claremont serial killer in Perth, who abducted and killed three women in 1996 and 1997 and has never been caught."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...h/news-story/bc7e1f4f64f8b2e2b7af7e8e7561080d

20 September 2013

"(Estelle) Blackburn, a respected journalist and one-time press secretary to former West Australian premier Carmen Lawrence, says her former boyfriend, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was a mechanic who repaired taxis.....Blackburn says she was told that the charismatic but violent European immigrant later bound and gagged another girlfriend, threw her in a car boot lined with plastic and drove to a remote lake. 'He did terrible things to her, threatening to kill her and told her, pointing to the water, 'There's another blonde ***** down there and you are going to join her'. "

Nov 11, 2007
http://www.scmp.com/article/615161/was-my-boyfriend-killer-who-terrorised-perth

So possibly did the accused team up with EB's ex-boyfriend?
And attack victims together at some stage?
Or possibly did the accused borrow random taxis for the weekend for the price of an easy carton of beer?
Maybe EB beer?
(Emu Bitter)

"Mr McGINTY: The member is correct in that we envisage there being two groups of section 4 offences. The first isthe organised crime offences that must comply with the four-part definition of organised crime in clause 3. The seconddeals with the most serious offences under the Criminal Code; that is, the offences of wilful murder or murder. Whenthose offences are committed, there need not be an organised crime connection. This is an extension beyond organisedcrime of the provisions of the legislation.

A section 4 offence is an offence of wilful murder or murder committed in connection with any other commission of aschedule 1 offence. A murder and a murder or a murder and a kidnapping would be sufficient to trigger it. It simplymust be committed in connection with the commission of another schedule 1 offence. It is not an organised crimeoffence, but it could cover a serial killer. Although this Bill deals in a general sense with organised crime, this is anexception. The offence need not comply with the definition of organised crime, but it must involve ongoing [ASSEMBLY - Wednesday, 28 November 2001] 6041organisation of particular offences. According to paragraph (b), a section 4 offence need not involve two or morepeople conspiring, as long as it is committed in connection with any other commission of a schedule 1 offence. TheClaremont serial killer would be caught by this provision. This legislation could assist in that investigation.

Mrs Edwardes: If DNA does not beat it.

Mr McGINTY: We will be dealing with DNA tomorrow. This legislation deals with organised crime as defined, ormurder and one other serious offence if there is a connection between the two. They are the two situations that triggerthis legislation. The second is not rigorously defined organised crime as such. The two offences do not need to betemporally connected. "

pages 33 and 34 (6040 and 6041 pdf)

"It is clear that the traditional investigative techniques have not been able tosolve the Claremont serial killings, yet two serious crimes have been committed and there is a connection between thosetwo crimes. "
BBM page 34

http://www.parliament.wa.gov.au/Han...825758A001A98E7/$File/A36 S1 20011128 All.pdf
Hansard Report 2001

WHAT CONNECTION ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT!????

"Mrs EDWARDES: What then is the justification for including clause 4(b)? In the case of the Claremont serial killings,I think all members of the community would like that individual or individuals to be caught. Clause 9 allows for theinvestigation of a section 4 offence in the public interest if the normal police powers have not been sufficient to capturean offender. We should allow the police to exercise all their ordinary powers in an endeavour to catch an offender.However, if the hue and cry from the community is that it wants the Claremont offender to be caught - and I like goingto the nightclubs in Claremont, but given that I am blond I will not go there -
Mr Andrews: You would not be chased anyway!
Mrs EDWARDES: Someone might confuse me with a 21-year-old blond female!
Mr Kucera: It could be easily done!
Mrs EDWARDES: I thank the minister for that compliment!In a scenario in which strong community pressure was put on the police to solve a crime, could the exceptional powersbe used before the police had had time to exercise their ordinary powers? It would be unavoidable for the publicinterest test before the special commissioner not to take into account the hue and cry from the community. If we weregiven some indication of what is likely to be regarded as being in the public interest, it might give us some comfortabout the use of clause 4(b).
Mr McGINTY: Clause 4(b) deals with the most serious offence under the Criminal Code; that is, when one persontakes the life of another human being. A murder in itself would not be sufficient, but if it were committed in connectionwith another serious offence, it might trigger the use of these exceptional powers. Either of the two examples that havebeen raised in the debate so far - namely, an armed robbery that has resulted in death, and an act intended to causegrievous bodily harm that has resulted in death - may constitute a section 4 offence. "

http://www.parliament.wa.gov.au/Han...825758A001A98E7/$File/A36 S1 20011128 All.pdf
Hansard 2001
page 35 (or 6042 on pdf)

"Clause 9(1) states -This Part is to facilitate the investigation of a section 4 offence.
Clause 9(3) states -The powers of a special commissioner under this Part cannot be exercised unless the special commissioner issatisfied that - . . .
(c) there are reasonable grounds for believing that the use of powers given by this Part would be in thepublic interest having regard to -
(i) whether or not the suspected offence could be effectively investigated without using thepowers; . . .

That is our attempt to deal with the points the member has raised; and it gives the discretion to the specialcommissioner. In a situation in which something as horrendous as the Claremont serial killings had occurred, thecommunity would place enormous pressure on the Commissioner of Police to use powers of this nature to investigatethat case. The clear legislative instruction to the special commissioner is to, first, satisfy his own mind that thetraditional policing approach and powers are not adequate to deal with the issue. That is the clear instruction to thespecial commissioner. He should use these powers only when he thinks that the existing power is not adequate toproperly deal with the situation. Today, that is a conclusion that would be very easily reached on the Claremont serialkiller. I suspect that that would not have been the case five years ago and the special commissioner would have saidthat he would not use the powers in those circumstances because, at the height of the problem, when the murders wereoccurring, those were not the sorts of powers that should have been used in that context, assuming there was nosuggestion that an organised crime gang was committing the murders.
Mrs EDWARDES: I suppose the point was that the murders took place months apart, and, therefore, once the first orsecond murders had occurred, the special commissioner’s powers would have been invoked before the third. The publicinterest would have been met because if the police powers had not been successful in the first and second instances,then it is likely that the use of the special commissioner’s power would have followed. I regard that as a special set ofcircumstances and incidents that highlight the fact that clause 4(b) will be a very useful tool. I am concerned that theremight very well be other instances in which it may be used and, potentially, it would rely heavily on the specialcommissioner and his interpretation of what might constitute public interest. "

prejudice and subjudice

[h=1]"...REMEDIES FOR OVERCOMING THE EFFECTS OF PREJUDICIAL PUBLICITY[/h]
There are a number of options which courts take into account when examining remedies to overcome the effects of prejudicial pre-trial publicity. These include but are not limited to: delaying the start of a trial, changing the venue, the issuing of judicial instructions to ignore prejudicial publicity, discharging a jury, challenging juries for cause and a trial by a judge alone. This article argues that many of these remedies would be unnecessary if the media were prevented from naming a suspect before they have been charged. In addition, it is argued, some of the above remedies may in some circumstances cause more harm than good to the accused’s prospects of receiving a fair trial. For example, a new trial can increase the strain and hardship suffered by the accused who may be in custody. The remedies may also cause inconvenience and emotional upset to other parties involved, witnesses and jurors especially when a jury must be sequestered for part or all of the trial. Similarly, a change of venue causes inconvenience and expense to all those involved in the trial. It is also of negligible effect in cases where the crime has attracted national or international attention as with Christopher Skase and Dr Patel. Where a conviction must be quashed and a new trial ordered or, in extreme cases, permanently stayed due to prejudicial publicity, the public interest in the administration of justice is frustrated. The victim of crime is left without having his or her suffering and outrage aired and without seeing retribution. Nevertheless fairness to the accused and the integrity of the trial means these costs should be borne by the State in the interests of justice. Of course, each case will turn on its own facts. As has been noted by leading Western Australian criminal barrister, Mark Trowell QC[53] there will be cases where the publicity has been so prejudicial that it would deprive the accused of a fair trial. In that circumstance a suggestion might be that judges should be inclined to be more flexible and prepared to exercise their discretion in favour of an accused rather than placing their absolute belief that a strong direction to a jury will solve the problem. The argument by this article that there be a ban on the identification of a suspect before being charged in the interests of fairness would, if the Long and D’Arcy cases are any guide, reduce the number of applications made to the court to remedy the effects of prejudicial publicity as well as the resultant costs and other factors....."

http://138.25.65.17/au/journals/QUTLawJJl/2007/2.html

JURY recall and subjudice and prejudice
Findings from research

"The principal findings on the incidence of jury recall of pre-trial publicity were as follows:-
1. Jurors chiefly recalled media reports of the commission of the alleged offence. They less frequently recalled reports of the arrest of the accused. They recalled reports of committal hearings or other pre-trial proceedings even less frequently. In 53 per cent of the trials in which some form of pre-trial publicity was recalled by at least one juror, the publicity was discussed in the jury room.[56]

2. Jurors were more likely to recall pre-trial publicity – for example, reports of pre-trial proceedings – in three situations. These were when:
a. it related to accused people who were independently well-known in the community;
b. it related to offences committed in the area where the jurors lived; or
c. they did not encounter it until after the trial began. Other familiar explanations for pre-trial publicity being recalled – for example, that it appeared unusually close to the start of the trial or was especially prominent – were also discernable.[57]
These findings seem to suggest that of particular relevance to jury recall is the extent to which the case has captured public attention of which the ‘Dr Death’ scandal is but one of many examples."
http://138.25.65.17/au/journals/QUTLawJJl/2007/2.html

Maybe if they wait long enough, and there's no new media reports about the case - then people may begin to forget!
Don't think so! Not in Perth!

Would they fly in outer state jurors?

Lots to read from last night.
Hope it makes sense ...

Lots to read from last night.
Hope it makes sense ...

Spooks,

Many thanks for your efforts; you’ve provided some truly insightful information.

With regard to the court venue and juror selection. In order to avoid media and public attention they may well decide to hold the trial within another secure venue, but where is the question. Will they keep it at the Supreme Court but provide extra police security. So far, they’ve been able to hold a video link conference, but cannot go on as such.

There would be a very few people within WA who don’t know much about the case. Would it be possible for jurors to be selected from overseas? That would prove to be very costly, as they’d need to pay airfares, and provide a hotel for the duration. Offhand there’s usually 10-14 people on a jury and two of them are in reserve in-case someone falls sick etc.

Perhaps it will be decided that a judge makes the decision. Whatever choice is made they won't want the accused to make a claim the decision was unfair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur