Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The original article where the cop held the kimono up seems to imply that the kimono was stolen from Victoria Clarke but doesn't give many specifics.

"The West Australian, Perth Wednesday Feruary 17 1988
Kimono clue to a brutal killing
by Cyril Ayris
This kimono may be the clue that helps
solve the brutal killing of Victoria Heather
Clark, 30, in Victoria Park last September.
It was dropped by a man that walked
into a Huntingdale house early on Monday
morning and lay on top of a sleeping
18-year-old girl...
The kimono is the first good clue the police
have been given in recent sex attacks in the area.
Det-Sgt Max Kiernan said the man
apparently walked into the house..."

Post arrest other articles appeared stating the kimono was stolen off a clothesline.

[FONT=&amp]A WOMAN'S silk dressing gown stolen off a washing line 28 years ago is believed to have been the vital clue that helped lead police to finally make an arrest in the Claremont serial killer case.

[/FONT]
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/claremont-serial-killings-silk-kimono-believed-to-be-vital-clue/news-story/d5498c5d0593771d7f526f90646d52f0

It seems to me the Feb 17th West Aust article (Kimono Clue to a Brutal Killing) was deliberately misleading. It wasn't confirmed until December 2016 that it was DNA (a new concept at the time in Aust, although had been used in prosecutions in other countries) they had on the kimono. I believe this DNA was the clue.

attachment.php
Daily News early May 1988
The article on 22 year old woman raped in early May 1988 with identikit (rsbm above) linked this May rape, the south side rapist attacks (of which they seemed to be counting the Huntingdale attack BRE is charged with, Feb 1988) with the murder of Victoria Clark. No kimono linking them, but could be DNA or just guessing.

With Vanessa Devlin's sexual assault and murder on Friday 17th June 1988, the first newspaper report in the Saturday West Australian on 18th June linked to Victoria Clark's murder.

The West Australian June 18[SUP]th,[/SUP] 1988, page 1. By Steve Lague. New Southside murder hunt.

Police find partially clothed body of Vanessa Roberta Devlin 23 years old. Certain similarities to other attacks by south side rapist... South side rapist may be responsible for more than 16 attacks on women in the past 2 years. They include the murder of Victoria Clark aged 30...

Sunday Times Perth June 19[SUP]th[/SUP] 1988 Page 1(text already posted, headlines only here) Murder Hunt Car Clue Dead in bedroom Page 2 Have you seen a car like this? Picture of a Datsun Is a sexfiend on the loose? Police hunt sex killer.

However cops seemed very confident that if they caught this person, they would have not only VD's killer but the southside rapist and VC's murderer. I wonder whether they had DNA or knew they could get the DNA to go with the link between VC and Huntingdale attack?

Sunday Times Perth, June 26[SUP]th[/SUP] 1988. Pg 30 Arrest, but rapist search still on by Andrew Masterson.

James Alexander Tilbury (46) was arrested for Vanessa Devlin murder. A man is still sought for the southside rapes and the Victoria Clark (30) murder. There had been nine rapes in 1986, five in 1987 and one so far this year.

The West Australian June 28[SUP]th[/SUP]
. Page 3. Murdered hitch hiker faced heroin charges James A Tilbury in court facing charges for the murder. 10 days after the murder, case solved!

Cops made statement that they still were still looking for and hoped to catch the person responsible for the south side rapes and VS's murder...and the owner of the car they had splashed over papers. My opinions only.

Attachments

• Rape_May_88_linked to VC.JPG
    Rape_May_88_linked to VC.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 102
Hi Spooks - yes - both SS and JR were drinking at the OBH prior to moving on to Claremont with friends. Both girls left their friends and JC seemed to be waiting for someone. SS may have left friends to either meet someone or take a taxi to South Perth. Why did both girls break away from friends late at night to be alone, possibly drunk and looking for a taxi to South Perth (in SS's case). JC waiting for a lift from someone. The leaving friends and going off alone part is very significant. JR was asked to share a cab with friends but said no. SS's friends were getting ready to leave to get a cab and she just left ahead of them alone. SS was only eighteen. Surely would have been scared to take a cab alone. MOO

AL, I can't remember reading about Jane Rimmer drinking at the OBH with her friends before going to the Conti. I may have, but can't find any sources. Do you have a link where it was claimed JR drinking with her friends at OBH please?

https://thewest.com.au/news/crime/a...robert-edwards-appears-in-court-ng-b88429705z

Only 44 days to go. (No significance in so many 4's :))

The Ch 7 news video story accompanying the above 29 Mar 2017 article says

What legal reasons might these be?

Will Ch 7 continue to not show the accused's face (for legal reasons), until he either plead's guilty, or until he is possibly convicted of some, or all, current, or any new charges he might face in the future?

Did other TV stations follow suit in refusing to reveal the accused's face?

There's no problem in Bradley Edwards face being revealed via his Facebook account, with the only photos remaining on that account being the YodaHoff one and the really scary clown face one.

If you are trying to get evidence in a crime, or other crimes related to someone charged with so many offences, you'd have thought that revealing the face of the accused from the time of the first charge 1988, up until now, would be pretty important, given that other potential victims might not have known him by name.

Adding to this, why does Crime Stoppers not even mention the arrest of the accused for Rimmer's murder, or name the accused or show his picture?
You'd think they would in seeking potential witnesses to come forwards who might know of some link between the accused and Jane Rimmer.
That the Crimestopper's page for Jane Rimmer is still asking for more info on the identity of the Mystery Man, but don't even show the picture of the mystery man on their site is puzzling.
There's not even a link to any of the youtube videos with footage of the Mystery Man.

Why is this so?

https://www.crimestopperswa.com.au/open-cases/jane-louise-rimmer/

Crimestoppers isn't WAPOL or a government organisation. It shows as a registered charity. My understanding is that it takes down details of reports and sends them to police. While it is supported by police and the Australian Government and I believe a lot of the funding is from LotteryWest as detailed in the partners at the bottom of the screen. I think this was discussed a long time ago on this site and I am going from memory a bit. Maybe they haven't been given official information to update this with which is why information can be out of date.

https://www.crimestoppers.com.au/about-us

AL, I can't remember reading about Jane Rimmer drinking at the OBH with her friends before going to the Conti. I may have, but can't find any sources. Do you have a link where it was claimed JR drinking with her friends at OBH please?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nNNF1E3mg3c

Innerchild - it is mentioned in this documentary by Jane's friend Linda....Annalise MOO

The below does talks about JR and the OBH.

http://www.australianmissingpersonsregister.com/Claremont.htm
Some time between 8.00 pm and 8:30 pm on Saturday the 8th of June, 1996, Jane Rimmer attended the Ocean Beach Hotel in Cottesloe. This is the same hotel that Sarah Spiers was drinking in on the night she disappeared.

At that location, Jane met up with some friends. They stayed there for about an hour , before Jane and her friends caught a taxi to the Continental Hotel in Claremont arriving at about 9:30 pm.

From what I can gather psychic clues are quite symbolic or cryptic - and the clues don't always make sense in the beginning.

Remember Don Spiers looking for house with white picket fence in tree lined street in Wembley.

JR lived in Wembley - maybe JR knew something about BRE and his alleged crimes and that knowledge got her killed.

Perhaps that's why psychic clues said go look in Wembley!

What if these psychic clues were indicating to Don Spiers that perhaps JR knew something about SS's disappearance???

Maybe the Psychic Clues were telling Don Spiers to find a link between SS and JR, and that link would lead him to SS!!!

Crazier things have happened!

I realise the timeline would need to slot in to make this work too ....

(PS: I'm wearing my rain coat and Wellies in preparation for the **** storm coming my way from the nay-sayers! [emoji12])

Posts are purely my own opinion unless otherwise stated with source links. All my original text and images remain exclusively my personal copyright.
[emoji317][emoji317][emoji317]
Spooks,
It's quite amazing how you think of these scenarios. That's meant as a compliment.
Think of it as a pat on the back. I don't want anyone else getting jealous though.

Janwa, I have a question about the yobbo house (scene of VD's murder) and I see you posted about another murder there when talking about VD, someone found in a drain nearby. Could you please confirm this?

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Western-Australia-10&p=13041557#post13041557

01-03-2017, 03:25 AM#10 [URL="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/member.php?187362-janwa"]janwa Maddington Murders
[/URL]I remember these murders one was in the small house set back on a big block either next to or just past the chiropractors. The other across the hwy set near the road on a big block. I passed it every day on the train. The house eventually got wrecked the land was sold and a new house built with the wreck still there. There was also a body found at some point stuffed down drain.

Also, 01-03-2017, 03:00 AM#9 MingMong
...rsbm Anyways, when we used to go over there on our horses, there were a heap of young blokes living there rough (like a bogan house). It used to spook me for a reason I couldn't put my finger on, but my friend was always keen to go over there. That was before the girls death though. Who's to say that BE hasn't been there at sometime ...

Is it feasible that BRE would have gone there, mixing with the wrong crowd so to speak?

VD (living at yobbo house with bf for 7 weeks) and her boyfriend were arrested for heroin trafficking just before her murder.

Crimestoppers isn't WAPOL or a government organisation. It shows as a registered charity. My understanding is that it takes down details of reports and sends them to police. While it is supported by police and the Australian Government and I believe a lot of the funding is from LotteryWest as detailed in the partners at the bottom of the screen. I think this was discussed a long time ago on this site and I am going from memory a bit. Maybe they haven't been given official information to update this with which is why information can be out of date.

https://www.crimestoppers.com.au/about-us

https://www.police.wa.gov.au/About-Us/Our-partners/Crime-Stoppers
Crime Stoppers is a telephone hotline, 1800 333 000, for reporting information about any criminal or suspicious activity....
Crimes can also be reported online at the Crime Stoppers website.

From the above, it appears that WAPOL, like some other State Police, have outsourced to Crime Stoppers.
As there is no other WAPOL or WA Government advertised webpage or site for the public to provide information to Police on (that I could find).

In which case, if WAPOL have not given Crime Stoppers the latest information, updates, or enough information, that is inexcusable MOO.

https://www.police.wa.gov.au/About-Us/Our-partners/Crime-Stoppers

From the above, it appears that WAPOL, like some other State Police, have outsourced to Crime Stoppers.
As there is no other WAPOL or WA Government advertised webpage or site for the public to provide information to Police on (that I could find).

In which case, if WAPOL have not given Crime Stoppers the latest information, updates, or enough information, that is inexcusable MOO.

Well there is a reward still on offer. I have a suggestion for a suspect. Seriously maybe it stays up until there is a conviction. Ciara's page wasn't updated either. Just guessing here.
https://www.crimestopperswa.com.au/open-cases/claremont-murders/

002c0e82ae0392ecf5bedb21889e919e.jpg

IC , this one also may possibly have been a "southside" offender too .
It is possible there was different men, more than one imo .
Perhaps it was one bra committing all of those multiple offences , Innerchild do you think that ?

A mention in article of a gathering in Huntingdale and a 2015 cold case review .

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...e/news-story/cfef2b597e32d3e9144e19e4d552acc7

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/m...ver-cold-case-perth-rape-20170609-gwo1ce.html

Quote from the article :

"He stabbed her to death at a small gathering in * Huntingdale and was sentenced to life with a 14 year minimum.
Hart's 14 year minimum term was due to expire in mid 2015 - little did he know, detectives were re-investigating*the 1994 Bicton rape.
In 2015, officers and forensic scientists using new technology got a match for Hart's DNA on a small piece of blue fabric, extracted from the victim's underwear."

Janwa, I have a question about the yobbo house (scene of VD's murder) and I see you posted about another murder there when talking about VD, someone found in a drain nearby. Could you please confirm this?
Is it feasible that BRE would have gone there, mixing with the wrong crowd so to speak? (.

Some one did find and post the info on the body in the drain. I personally don't think BRE would have had any involvement with that house.

I had a visit last week from 2 officers of the Special Crime Squad looking into Operation Ambrose. They had a hard copy of a telephone call I had made to the police about Gerard Ross in 1997. So anyone waiting for a response don't give up they will get back to you eventually.

I had a visit last week from 2 officers of the Special Crime Squad looking into Operation Ambrose. They had a hard copy of a telephone call I had made to the police about Gerard Ross in 1997. So anyone waiting for a response don't give up they will get back to you eventually.

So you don't mind cops took 20 years to get back to you?? Is it something you can share here? Didn't cops announce they were asking for more info on GR case at arrest of BRE?

Wow Janwa - that's such great news. Sounds encouraging that they must have been able to use advances in DNA to test evidence and hopefully find the killer. The monster or monsters that did what they did to that innocent twelve year old boy need to be put away for good. The poor family - I don't know how they have coped all these years. If the person or persons are caught and put in jail I hope the other inmates dish out some punishments to match what was done to that poor child. MOO

So you don't mind cops took 20 years to get back to you?? Is it something you can share here? Didn't cops announce they were asking for more info on GR case at arrest of BRE?

I was being sarcastic how many more of these phone transcripts have they got to go through and why wasn't I contacted nearer the time.

rsbm

IC , this one also may possibly have been a "southside" offender too .
It is possible there was different men, more than one imo .
Perhaps it was one bra committing all of those multiple offences , Innerchild do you think that ?

A mention in article of a gathering in Huntingdale and a 2015 cold case review .

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...e/news-story/cfef2b597e32d3e9144e19e4d552acc7

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/m...ver-cold-case-perth-rape-20170609-gwo1ce.html

Quote from the article :

"He stabbed her to death at a small gathering in * Huntingdale and was sentenced to life with a 14 year minimum.
Hart's 14 year minimum term was due to expire in mid 2015 - little did he know, detectives were re-investigating*the 1994 Bicton rape.
In 2015, officers and forensic scientists using new technology got a match for Hart's DNA on a small piece of blue fabric, extracted from the victim's underwear."

Just by reading reports from 1988, I'd think there was more than one offender.

From watoday link above; Court documents obtained by WAtoday reveal Hart's long criminal history in WA and in Victoria. In addition to his 2002 murder conviction, Hart was sentenced to five years jail in the Perth District in 1983 over 16 break and enter offences. In Victoria in 1989 he was sentenced to seven years jail for raping a woman in her Melbourne home. Hart was transferred from Victoria to WA in 1990 and was later released on parole in September 1992.

He was a busy boy, sentenced five years in 1983, but doesn't say where those break and enters he committed before 1983 were or where he lived. Possibly in jail until 1988. Raped in Melbourne in 1989, released 1992, raped in Bicton in 1994. Not caught. Killed estranged ex wife 2002. Do you know what he looked like?

So called Southside rapist was attributed to 16 cases in 1986, 87, 88.

It reminds me that before the detours of the last week the thread was talking about Adrian Bailey and all his sexual assaults and jail time, except for the period between released from jail April 1993, (1995 started new relationship) and 2000. There was no other period in his life he wasn't offending. Could he have been in Perth and carrying on, but just not getting caught? Just my own opinion.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-1996-1997-Perth-Western-Australia-15/page124 see post #1858

attachment.php
[video=youtube;5QbRGBMvk-8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QbRGBMvk-8&t=217s[/video]
cctv footage of Adrian Bayley from night Jill Meagher murdered

attachment.php
cctv footage night Jane Rimmer was abducted. Time 03.58. Bald man"" exiting Conti

Attachments

• Adrian_Bayley_Night of MeagherDeath.JPG
    Adrian_Bayley_Night of MeagherDeath.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 134
  • Baldman_03.58_cctv.JPG
    Baldman_03.58_cctv.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 135
I was being sarcastic how many more of these phone transcripts have they got to go through and why wasn't I contacted nearer the time.

You sound so sincere janwa! I'd guess either you had something that was pertinent to the case so it was buried or they were ordered to stop investigating and it was ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298