Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey mate,
I have a wagon with a rubber boot liner, gotta keep the mutts off the carpet when they've been swimming in puddles and what not lol.

Also, thanks spooks for posting about the DNA I was always under the impression the media had suggested familial DNA but it was never officially disclosed as to how they matched it - in other words, the media just took a stab in the dark without providing any evidence (like a direct quote from WA Police)

Ive never heard the rear of a wagon being referred to as a boot , but there are lots of things i have not heard

It’s hard to say, but companies will generally keep a hold of a fleet vehicle until its New Car Warranty period has ended, roughly around three years depending on the manufacturer. New Car Warranty period would be, for example of one manufacturer I worked for, 3 years or 100,000kms - whichever occurrs first. Often though, they would exceed the number of kilometres covered by the NCW but still hold onto the vehicle until the three years was up. That’s a general guide though I guess and I’m only speaking of the last ten years. My apologies if my information is unhelpful but thought I’d throw it out there.

Thank you very much it is very helpful , because if you are correct it takes it out of the picture as a working Telstra vehicle at the time of the crimes

Possible they found the DNA on the kimono and asked the parents for a sample to eliminate them. *If it was his mums

The DNA on the kimono matched a relation on criminal database via familial DNA.

Ok I can see that happening , but how did they connect the DNA to him later , that's what I cant get

I posted on 1250 how familial DNA works the simple answer is think of how they match fingerprints. The unknown DNA is put through a DNA criminal data base 'scanner' such as crimtrack, which picks up any matches of something called STRs. They would then make a list of the likely suspects and I presume make something like a family tree. A 50% match would indicate a son or brother 25% a nephew, uncle or grandfather.

It's my understanding that when the police opened the old Huntingdale file after forensics linked the kimono to the CSK, Bradley Robert Edwards was essentially staring straight at them. A suspect I hazard, without enough evidence to lay a charge back in the 80s.

Familial DNA from a male relative may then have been quietly sought to ensure they were on the right track but nowhere have I seen, the police state a relation was matched to the CSK on the criminal database. Do you have a link for this please?

I posted on 1250 how familial DNA works the simple answer is think of how they match fingerprints. The unknown DNA is put through a DNA criminal data base 'scanner' such as crimtrack, which picks up any matches of something called STRs. They would then make a list of the likely suspects and I presume make something like a family tree. A 50% match would indicate a son or brother 25% a nephew, uncle or grandfather.

yes I understand the process and the science of geneology behind it.
What I'm saying is that article by The Australian newspaper just alludes to Familial DNA as the next step in the process as finding an owner of DNA.

The article DOES NOT confirm that they found a famililal match.

Article only states they went down this path

When the weather gets cooler perhaps some of us could spend some time at the State Records Office looking through old copies of the Daily News (1982 to 1992). We’d need 10 volunteers to cover a 10 year span. Each copy could be checked for the proposed type of crime, stolen clothing and identikits. Below is a proposed schedule…Please propose any amendments, as at least, I can commence this soon and feedback information.
Year
Suburbs
Type of Crime
Huntingdale/Southern River
Animal Cruelty, Vandalism
Animal Cruelty, Vandalism
Vandalism, Arson, Graffiti
Huntingdale/Southern River, Gosnells & Maddington
Vandalism, Arson, Graffiti, Exposure
Bentley, Como, Huntingdale/Southern River, Gosnells & Maddington
Indecent Exposure, Peeping Tom, Sexual Assault
Bentley, Como, Huntingdale/Southern River, Gosnells & Maddington
Indecent Exposure, Peeping Tom, Sexual Assault
1988 to 1991
Bentley, Huntingdale and surrounding suburbs
Sexual Assault, Rape
Bentley, Kewdale, suburbs south of Swan River
Sexual Assault, Rape

It was late 1993 and I had an experience which I reported to Gosnells Police Station...it makes me wonder how many of these experiences have happened to women, that get reported and forgotten about.

I was at Kenwick Train Station, heading towards Gosnells to visit a friend. Alone on the platform, late afternoon and quite a warm day from memory.

A dark hair male whistled to me, to get my attention ..I looked around and across from the train line was a old iron fence half torn down...(back then from memory it was a wood wholesaler - now a car retailer) he was stooped down and masturbating in full view making lots of sexual noises...fully undressed from waist down...

I was so glad when the train finally arrived. I got off my intended station and went straight to the police station to make a report.

Scary and confronting for a 16 year old female.

It was late 1993 and I had an experience which I reported to Gosnells Police Station...it makes me wonder how many of these experiences have happened to women, that get reported and forgotten about.

I was at Kenwick Train Station, heading towards Gosnells to visit a friend. Alone on the platform, late afternoon and quite a warm day from memory.

A dark hair male whistled to me, to get my attention ..I looked around and across from the train line was a old iron fence half torn down...(back then from memory it was a wood wholesaler - now a car retailer) he was stooped down and masturbating in full view making lots of sexual noises...fully undressed from waist down...

I was so glad when the train finally arrived. I got off my intended station and went straight to the police station to make a report.

Scary and confronting for a 16 year old female.

Times like this we need an "dislike" feature on WS!
GROSS!
And yes very confronting!

It's my understanding that when the police opened the old Huntingdale file after forensics linked the kimono to the CSK, Bradley Robert Edwards was essentially staring straight at them. A suspect I hazard, without enough evidence to lay a charge back in the 80s.

Familial DNA from a male relative may then have been quietly sought to ensure they were on the right track but nowhere have I seen, the police state a relation was matched to the CSK on the criminal database. Do you have a link for this please?
A couple of reasons the familial connection hasnt been mentioned.

At judge alone trial will probably publish it

A couple of reasons the familial connection hasnt been mentioned.

At judge alone trial will probably publish it

If the Pandit quote is correct there is an excellent reason it has not been mentioned , this could have been stopped before it even started ... not meaning to discredit Pandit in anyway but i hope it is wrong

Maybe it was on the kimono. ie, the Kimono was stolen of his parent's clothesline?

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk
Ok I can see that happening , but how did they connect the DNA to him later , that's what I cant get
New testing methods became available a few years back where extremely small samples can be multiplied

Emerging DNA Technologies https://www.forensicmag.com/article/2013/08/emerging-dna-technologies#.WpqeydpgCFc.twitter
Forgot to mention, there is now "touch DNA" isn't there? Or have I been watching too much TV?
Possible they found the DNA on the kimono and asked the parents for a sample to eliminate them. *If it was his mums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK. Here is a scenario.
The Kimono would contain at least 4 DNAs
1. Whoever hung it on the clothesline
2. The cop who held it up to be photographed for the newspaper without wearing gloves
3. The victim of the alleged attempted attack.
4. The alleged perpetrator.

2 & 3 easy to eliminate via sample comparison.

Now if 1 & 4 are related, it just takes 1 to come forward and say it was stolen from her clothesline, provide a sample for elimination and viola! Eliminate the youngest brother and the dad as they're outside the age range that the victim described, and Police then have the accused as POI.

IMO

RE: Kimono file investigative opportunities found BRE.

"It told police that the serial killer they were hunting may have been the same person who dropped the kimono. While the DNA link did not give them a name for that person, it did provide detectives with fresh investigative opportunities contained within the pages of the 1988 case file."
BBM and underline by me, and red
https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa...ital-clue-ng-d5498c5d0593771d7f526f90646d52f0

EDIT: Quote - the DNA link did NOT give them a name - not even a FAMILY name!

OK. Here is a scenario.
The Kimono would contain at least 4 DNAs
1. Whoever hung it on the clothesline
2. The cop who held it up to be photographed for the newspaper without wearing gloves
3. The victim of the alleged attempted attack.
4. The alleged perpetrator.

2 & 3 easy to eliminate via sample comparison.

Now if 1 & 4 are related, it just takes 1 to come forward and say it was stolen from her clothesline, provide a sample for elimination and viola! Eliminate the youngest brother and the dad as they're outside the age range that the victim described, and Police then have the accused as POI.

IMO

Very well explained and great logic , thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics