Australia Australia - Corryn Rayney, 44, Como, WA, 7 August 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi GG and YN, this site wouldn't exist without you, so post away to your heart's content, always very interesting!!!

I heard the morning report on the radio re this case and they were saying that the seed pods could be vital to placing the crime scene at the rayney home in como. Apparently the soil contained in the seed pods can be traced to the como home. These pods could be crucial to the case and unfortunately the defense have pounced on the fact that the pathologist removed them from corryn's hair where they were embedded in the back of her head out of sight. Thank goodness the attending constable said ah, those COULD be important, hello!!! They weren't photographed in 'situ' where they were found, but no doubt the pathologist will be called as a witness. Apparently the defense really ribbed the policewoman and made her a bit flustered with their questions. Methinks they realized this could be very damning evidence and thus wanted to disprove the validity of the 'find'. No links as radio report (can't link actually, lol) but it was the radio. JMO

Hi GG and YN, this site wouldn't exist without you, so post away to your heart's content, always very interesting!!!

I heard the morning report on the radio re this case and they were saying that the seed pods could be vital to placing the crime scene at the rayney home in como. Apparently the soil contained in the seed pods can be traced to the como home. These pods could be crucial to the case and unfortunately the defense have pounced on the fact that the pathologist removed them from corryn's hair where they were embedded in the back of her head out of sight. Thank goodness the attending constable said ah, those COULD be important, hello!!! They weren't photographed in 'situ' where they were found, but no doubt the pathologist will be called as a witness. Apparently the defense really ribbed the policewoman and made her a bit flustered with their questions. Methinks they realized this could be very damning evidence and thus wanted to disprove the validity of the 'find'. No links as radio report (can't link actually, lol) but it was the radio. JMO

Wow, thanks for that Dodo, yes can imagine the defence had a field day with that poor woman. :maddening:

Let's hope the pathologist is in good health and not about to leave the country, lol

:please:

Perhaps they need protection (not altogether joking here)?

The fact those pods can be traced to the Como home is very significant.

:jail::jail:

JMO MOO

For those who don't know what they look like - this is a pic of a liquidambar seed pod. I sweep dozens of these up every week from the tree outside my place. They hurt if you step on them.

Sweetgum_Seed_closeup.jpg

For those who don't know what they look like - this is a pic of a liquidambar seed pod. I sweep dozens of these up every week from the tree outside my place. They hurt if you step on them.

View attachment 25139

Let me guess, they hurt just a little bit, but then you're OK?

Sorry, my humour is getting sicker every day

:blushing:

JMO MOO

News news article about the seed pods

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/full-coverage/rayney-trial/a/-/article/14409291/officer-rejects-tree-seeds-suspicions/

Defence lawyer David Edwardson asked Sgt O'Loughlin why none were taken when in-situ images were taken for other exhibits during the post-mortem process, to which the sergeant replied it had not been possible.

"It (the location of the pods) was not visible to the external area," Sgt O'Loughlin said.

She said she was not able to see the pods before they were almost completely out of Mrs Rayney's hair.

Mr Edwardson also raised questions about why the pods did not have the usual exhibit number cards next to them when photographed.

He also questioned why the two photographs were not included in a hand-written list of coronial photographs taken during the examination.

The court has heard the photographs were later included in a typed list provided to the court. There was also evidence that data from the digital photographs of the pods showed they were taken half an hour after people involved in the examination returned to the secure government laboratory from a lunch break.

News news article about the seed pods

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/full-coverage/rayney-trial/a/-/article/14409291/officer-rejects-tree-seeds-suspicions/

Defence lawyer David Edwardson asked Sgt O'Loughlin why none were taken when in-situ images were taken for other exhibits during the post-mortem process, to which the sergeant replied it had not been possible.

"It (the location of the pods) was not visible to the external area," Sgt O'Loughlin said.

She said she was not able to see the pods before they were almost completely out of Mrs Rayney's hair.

Mr Edwardson also raised questions about why the pods did not have the usual exhibit number cards next to them when photographed.

He also questioned why the two photographs were not included in a hand-written list of coronial photographs taken during the examination.

The court has heard the photographs were later included in a typed list provided to the court. There was also evidence that data from the digital photographs of the pods showed they were taken half an hour after people involved in the examination returned to the secure government laboratory from a lunch break.

Aha, so the security of the secure government facility will now need to be proved.

Golly, more for the QPS to learn from, no disparagement of the WA Police implied either.

:twocents:

JMO MOO

Thanks Dodo - I didn't know there was soil in the pods which can be matched with soil at the home. I have read that there were red particles in the soil on Corryn's clothing, which is consistent with soil at the home.

Aha, so the security of the secure government facility will now need to be proved.

Golly, more for the QPS to learn from, no disparagement of the WA Police implied either.

:twocents:

JMO MOO

And prove that there was no contamination.

Forensic pathologists can't win - they are criticised if their testing takes too long and criticised if it isn't documented well enough.

:pullhair::pullhair::pullhair:

Does anybody know when the Rayney girls are likely to be called by the prosecution to give evidence?

JMO MOO

No idea GG. I think only one of them may be called - the older one Caitlyn does like to have her say and was previously very protective of her father when the media were present.

LR does have a point when criticising the media for involving his daughters - they were only 10 and 13 at the time. I guess the media is much more conscious of this now and in GBC's case the faces of the children are screened out.

End of day 6

Summary
Colleague Paul Bevilacqua testified after dinner LR gave a lift to him and his then partner Katasha Gorsden - has never seen Corryn Rayneys car.

Police officers questioned about the seed pods and grilled as to why the pods were not photographed in the hair and why one pod not entered into evidence until 4 months later. Also grilled as to why the seed pods were not numbered and listed on the manifest of evidence in the same fashion as all the other evidence.

Det Sgt explained how he re created the dig 28 days after Corryns disappearance ( to coincide with similar moon phase. Took him 17 mins to dig the hole and then he dragged a dummy, which was a similar size and weight to Mrs Rayney, to the hole which took some effort. 4 cars drove down Lovekin Avenue in that time but he could hear them in advance and had time to switch off his torch. THere were no reports of suspicious activity to Police as a result of their recreation. The whole process to bury the body took 38 minutes. The Sergeant said the police working on Operation Dargan set up to solve this murder wore matching ties as a sign of "tribalism"

More details can be found in this report

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/the-rayney-trial--day-six-of-evidence-20120731-23btt.html

Sorry if I have had a lot to say the last two days. The good news is I am signing off for the night so will leave it to others to make a few comments.

Noo, don't go mouse detective don't go. Am loving your posts as there are not many on this site, we need your input. For some reason people think that they are hogging but remember there are many people who only rarely post like me and we rely on people like YOU!! Lol

Sorry if I have had a lot to say the last two days. The good news is I am signing off for the night so will leave it to others to make a few comments.

Your contributions are always relevant and thoughtful, mouse detective, so don't apologise. Good stuff!

Hey guys, first time posting for me :newhere::blushing: (Although, I've been following all your posts for weeks!)

I'm a Perth girl, and planning on going down to sit in on the trial tomorrow. I've been following this case since the day Corryn was announced as a missing person. Will be my first time in a court room - shall be eye opening!

Nice to meet you all :)

Like you mouse, I feel I have had far too much to say and ( in my case) none of it particularly significant.

Hopefully others will be better at real sleuthing on behalf of Corryn

:seeya:

JMO MOO

Hey guys, first time posting for me :newhere::blushing: (Although, I've been following all your posts for weeks!)

I'm a Perth girl, and planning on going down to sit in on the trial tomorrow. I've been following this case since the day Corryn was announced as a missing person. Will be my first time in a court room - shall be eye opening!

Nice to meet you all :)

Hi Flossy, wecome to the group

:welcome4:

Look forward to hearing your feedback from the courtroom!

JMO MOO

I am not sure if this is positive or negative for the prosecution?

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/top...bali-court-legal/story-e6frg12l-1226439567171

On the one hand evidence LR did not drive Corryn's car to the dinner as he said he did, on the other, evidence that he did not pick up the place card from the table.

Not sure where this leaves us???

Be interesting to see what comes out today at the trial.

JMO MOO

I am not sure if this is positive or negative for the prosecution?

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/top...bali-court-legal/story-e6frg12l-1226439567171

On the one hand evidence LR did not drive Corryn's car to the dinner as he said he did, on the other, evidence that he did not pick up the place card from the table.

Not sure where this leaves us???

Be interesting to see what comes out today at the trial.

JMO MOO

Hi Gemini Girl. Be encouraged...Shari Paradise (LR's Personal Assistant at one time) said he told her that he'd picked up the place card at the dinner and put it in one of the cars.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/fu.../murder-trial-told-of-rayneys-security-fears/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back