GUILTY Australia - Daniel Morcombe, 13, Woombye, QLD, 7 Dec 2003 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
9.45am: A MAN has described seeing a tarp "jumping up and down" as a blue car pulled alongside him near the Kiel Mountain Rd overpass where Daniel Morcombe disappeared

10am: ANOTHER person has told of seeing a person struggling in a blue car at the Kiel Mountain Rd overpass.

10.20am: A WOMAN has described "locking eyes" with a man standing near a boy at the Kiel Mountain Rd overpass on the day Daniel Morcombe disappeared

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...morcombes-murder/story-e6freoof-1226527339056

Bruce and Denise Morcombe are an entity all of their own IMO. I have always been amazed by their strength and determination to not only find Daniel, but educate others so that they are aware of the dangers. Special, special people.

I hope they do get to hold Daniel's funeral on Friday. It seems right.

May he Rest in Peace.

This morning was spent hearing from more identification witnesses, who recalled seeing a boy they believed to be Daniel wearing a red T-shirt, standing under the Keil Mountain overpass on the Nambour Connection Road, on December 7, 2003.

But it was the last witness of the day, Karen Brady, who garnered the most attention when she gave evidence she had been put under hypnosis at police investigators’ request to try to remember the number plate of a car she had seen parked nearby

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...ays-defence-20121130-2al3y.html#ixzz2Dfuj3gze

November 30, 2012
THE man accused of murdering Daniel Morcombe will almost certainly face trial, but not for another nine months at least, his lawyers say.
Brett Peter Cowan's defence team says there is no direct evidence against their client, but they expect he will be committed to trial.

"I have no doubt that his honour Judge Butler will find that there's a prima facie case," lawyer Tim Meehan told reporters outside the committal hearing at the Brisbane Magistrates Court on Friday.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...iversary-funeral/story-e6freono-1226527340504

November 30, 2012 4:36PM

A FUNERAL will be held for Daniel Morcombe next Friday exactly nine years to the day the Sunshine Coast schoolboy disappeared.
The Morcombe family has confirmed the service will be held at 11am at St Catherine of Siena at Sippy Downs, on the grounds of Siena Catholic College where Daniel went to school.

Bruce Morcombe said the public was most welcome and were encouraged to wear a touch of red in honour of Daniel.

The family said it would be appreciated, in lieu of flowers, that donations be made to the Daniel Morcombe Foundation to support Daniel's valuable legacy, which was "working hard to protect other children, keeping kids safe and to help young victims of crime".

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...is-disappearance/story-e6freoof-1226527051010

Had tears in my eyes when I read they can finally take their son home and give him a farewell. It would feel like they're losing him all over again though.

One thing.. Does anybody else find the witnesses accounts odd? I'm hoping some are not elaborating to feel apart of it... The one in the petrol station? It could just be the articles I've read weren't getting the whole story across, but something doesn't sit well with me about some of the witnesses...

Know what you mean Jmbr. I think that they would be using witnesses who help to prove the prosecution's case though, so there must be more to it. Maybe the police also have CCTV footage from the petrol station, or mobile phone data that proves Cowan was at the petrol station at that time? I'm sure there are things that may not be revealed until the actual trial. According to the inquest reports referenced further back in this thread, they had been investigating Cowan (and others) for a long while.

Now the Morcombes can lay their beloved son to rest with the dignity and love he so deserves. :rose:

Know what you mean Jmbr. I think that they would be using witnesses who help to prove the prosecution's case though, so there must be more to it. Maybe the police also have CCTV footage from the petrol station, or mobile phone data that proves Cowan was at the petrol station at that time? I'm sure there are things that may not be revealed until the actual trial. According to the inquest reports referenced further back in this thread, they had been investigating Cowan (and others) for a long while.

Now the Morcombes can lay their beloved son to rest with the dignity and love he so deserves. :rose:

Good point, didn't think of that. I really hope they've got the right guy..

Didn't I read in forensic evidence that the vehicle had been examined first in 2003?
Not across all details and evidence but am trying to understand why accused has only now consented to release of Daniel's remains. Sure, I get that a person defending this particular charge needs to establish that what has been found is the victim, but if it wasn't, then who is it and what is explanation for remains being there?
Maybe this has been covered already.
It is disgraceful that the Morcombe's have had to wait so long to bury their son, and it seems that not only the accused and his legal reps are responsible. JMO

ETA: Sounds like there have been some Mastermind candidates in the public gallery. And the poor parents, listening to some of the witnesses describing alleged sightings of their son, but didn't bother to go to police straight away.

Sunshine Coast mayor praises courage of Morcombe family

1st Dec 2012

MAYOR Mark Jamieson has expressed his sympathy to the Morcombe family, on behalf of the people of the Sunshine Coast.

"The time has come for the family to finally lay Daniel to rest," CrJamieson said.

"What they have been through these last nine years can never be fully understood by any of us, particularly as all the uncertainty they have endured, followed by their grief, has had to be borne in the glare of huge publicity.

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.a...ieson-has-expressed-his-sympathy-to-/1643880/

Bruce and Denise Morcombe have decided to hold a public ceremony and a private burial service.

"It's the family's way of saying thank you for never forgetting Daniel and continuing the search,'' Mr Morcombe told Fairfax Media.

"We won’t be reflecting on any negative aspects or being bitter or sad, it is a celebration of Daniel's short life, but obviously we'll also be looking forward to Daniel's legacy of educating and protecting children from the dangers.''

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...next-friday-20121130-2al3y.html#ixzz2DkGG6wx4

Daniel and his wonderful family have changed Australia for ever.

I'm sure many, many more people are now far more vigilant when they see something amiss with a child in the street, and many more people are just that bit more cautious with their young teenagers.

I wish we had a photo of this Cowan...somehow not being able to see the monster makes it worse.

The wonderful Queensland police and public have completely counteracted his evil, by their constant displays of love and caring for Daniel and his family.

I recommend everyone watch "Tears for Daniel", the Morcombe documentary. You will be changed.

:rose:
Daniel, Bruce, Denise and the boys.

Didn't I read in forensic evidence that the vehicle had been examined first in 2003?
Not across all details and evidence but am trying to understand why accused has only now consented to release of Daniel's remains. Sure, I get that a person defending this particular charge needs to establish that what has been found is the victim, but if it wasn't, then who is it and what is explanation for remains being there?
Maybe this has been covered already.
It is disgraceful that the Morcombe's have had to wait so long to bury their son, and it seems that not only the accused and his legal reps are responsible. JMO

ETA: Sounds like there have been some Mastermind candidates in the public gallery. And the poor parents, listening to some of the witnesses describing alleged sightings of their son, but didn't bother to go to police straight away.

It's all very frustrating. Why wait 2 years to report it?? I'm just thinking, if there was truth to the story he could've then been put under surveillance while Daniel was alive :(

The information that comes from this trial will be very interesting. There has been so much mystery and hearsay surrounding the case over all these years.

Daniel and his wonderful family have changed Australia for ever.

I'm sure many, many more people are now far more vigilant when they see something amiss with a child in the street, and many more people are just that bit more cautious with their young teenagers.

I wish we had a photo of this Cowan...somehow not being able to see the monster makes it worse.

The wonderful Queensland police and public have completely counteracted his evil, by their constant displays of love and caring for Daniel and his family.

I recommend everyone watch "Tears for Daniel", the Morcombe documentary. You will be changed.

:rose:
Daniel, Bruce, Denise and the boys.

I think that people may be more vigilant and willing to get involved now too .... I witnessed a situation this week where an 18-20 year old lad was having an absolute screaming tirade into the face of his young girlfriend (could hear it across a 4-lane road) and I wasn't the only person to stop the car. There weren't many people about, but it heartened me that almost all stopped what they were doing and looked poised to help. A couple stopped getting into their car and started walking across the street to the lad & girl, a man in his 30s turned around and started walking back to the lad & girl, a truck driver stood half in and half out of his truck watching. However, the girl gave the boy an almighty shove away and stomped off in one direction, the lad skulked off in the other direction, and all observers relaxed.

I think that people may be more vigilant and willing to get involved now too .... I witnessed a situation this week where an 18-20 year old lad was having an absolute screaming tirade into the face of his young girlfriend (could hear it across a 4-lane road) and I wasn't the only person to stop the car. There weren't many people about, but it heartened me that almost all stopped what they were doing and looked poised to help. A couple stopped getting into their car and started walking across the street to the lad & girl, a man in his 30s turned around and started walking back to the lad & girl, a truck driver stood half in and half out of his truck watching. However, the girl gave the boy an almighty shove away and stomped off in one direction, the lad skulked off in the other direction, and all observers relaxed.

I love Aussie men.

They're always ready to help a lady in distress.

December 2, 2012

Defence admissions in Daniel Morcombe case

By the end of the first week in the committal hearing for the man accused of abducting and murdering Sunshine Coast teenager Daniel Morcombe, one thing was clear.

Brett Peter Cowan will most likely be sent to trial.

The 42-year-old’s defence counsel, Michael Bosscher and Tim Meehan of Bosscher Lawyers have admitted that chief magistrate, Brendan Butler, will find there is a prima facie case against their client, despite also claiming the prosecution does not possess direct evidence against him

Given the scope of the police investigation, which ran for almost eight and a half years prior to an arrest, conflicting witness statements are to be expected.

The Crown is believed to be in possession of more than 10,000 statements from witnesses. Where most cases have files full of evidence and testimony, the Daniel Morcombe case has rooms dedicated to it.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...rcombe-case-20121202-2aonv.html#ixzz2DtRcmyP0

9.30am: DAY six of the Daniel Morcombe committal hearing has begun with testimony from a botanist, one of dozens of experts called in by police as they searched the Glass House Mountains for the teenager's remains

9.54am: A MAN has told how he saw a "rough looking bloke" standing behind a young boy under the Kiel Mountain Rd overpass - the place where Daniel Morcombe was last seen.

10.01am: KATHERINE Bird was also on the Sunbus when it went past a man and a boy standing under the Kiel Mountain Rd overpass.

10.14am: ANOTHER passenger on the Sunbus has described seeing a young boy and an older man waiting by the side of the road on the day Daniel disappeared.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...morcombes-murder/story-e6freoof-1226528825912

10.30am: A WITNESS has told how she was asked to look at a "photo board" by police in June 2009, six years after seeing a boy and a man under the Kiel Mountain Rd overpass.

The court heard Katherine Reynolds selected a man from the board as the man she saw standing on the side of the road.

11.04am: A WOMAN has given a sensational account of seeing a man try to wrestle a boy into a "pumpkin-coloured" car near the Kiel Mountain Rd overpass

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...morcombes-murder/story-e6freoof-1226528825912

A woman who claims she saw two men trying to bundle Daniel Morcombe into a car has told a court she suffered post-traumatic stress from what she witnessed.

Judith McIntyre told the Brisbane Magistrates Court on Monday that she drove past the Kiel Mountain Road overpass on December 7, 2003 and saw a man telling a boy in a red shirt to get in a waiting car.

‘‘I heard the man yell ’get in the car’ and the boy say ’you can’t make me, I’m not gonna’,’’ she said.

Ms McIntyre told the court she saw the man dive for the boy while a second man tried to stop him from escaping.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...near-daniel-20121203-2aq3f.html#ixzz2DxzQ9FSu

A motorist who drove past the spot where Daniel Morcombe was last seen has told a Brisbane court he saw three men near a boy the day the teenager disappeared.

'Reliving the heartache'

Outside court, Daniel's father Bruce Morcombe spoke about reliving the pain of his son's disappearance.

Mr Morcombe said listening to today's evidence was hard to bear.

"We relive, perhaps, feeling the heartache in Daniel... waiting 45 minutes for a bus and finally one turns up and the damn thing doesn't stop," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-...-murder-committal-hearing/4404888?section=qld

I worry about the conflicting witness statements of the number of men. Poor Daniel, he must have been so terrified :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KY Cliffhanger