GUILTY Australia - Eunji Ban, 23, murdered in Brisbane park, 24 Nov 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"Less than two days after the murder he was arrested in front of his stunned mother - a university English language teacher for foreign students."

A reverse image search from linkedin revealed she also advertised widely on gumtree for ESL students.

(IMO) I can't help but think the long term political mantra of "turn back the boats" when talking about vulnerable people seeking asylum doesn't help breed empathy in our collective conscience, and who knows what children pick up :(.

In another similarity to the Morgan Huxley case, the alleged murderer is from a middle class family. MSM love to run with that, equating material wealth with a healthy emotional upbringing. The two do not equate. Just because somebody's parents are educated does not mean that the home environment was psychologically or emotionally healthy - that has nothing to do with class.

I'm just saying this now because MSM is already running with the angle that he is a strange aberration within the 'nice' family - no offence intended to his parents, but if a child is fantasising about murder since they are young (which obviously some people knew about) then something is seriously amiss emotionally/psychologically. Hopefully they sought help for him as a child.

But as a psychologist, hearing just that little bit about his fantasies makes me want to examine what was going on at home for him.........I don't believe anybody is 'born evil' - they may have a predisposition to mental illness but their childhood environment always has a major role to play IMO :twocents:

Not that his experiences in any way excuse his behaviour, by the way - I'm not defending him for a second!! I just think it's important that we understand how these people get to this point so that hopefully cases like this can be stopped before they begin!!!

This is pure speculation but finding out that his mother is an English teacher, really rung some alarm bells with me. For a few reasons. When his name was first leaked to the media, I went straight to Facebook and found his profile, however it was set to private as there was nothing on there except saying he was in a complicated relationship. However, with the new facebook search of being able to search for "photos of whomever" "Photos commented on by whomever", I was able to trace back to a few family members, one of which was his cousin, aunty and sister. His profile has now been taken down, as has his sisters. She had a photo of herself, her mother and him as her profile photo, which had been added in August this year.

But what has got alarm bells ringing is the following, his mother, sister, cousin and aunty, all had links to Asians, be it having exchange students or teaching. His aunty and cousin live in Hong Kong, and his aunty is also a teacher of English. His sister had people writing on her wall that were Asian and obviously had English as their second language due to how they were writing, one of which said that they miss her and Brisbane. Which made me wonder if they had exchange students at some point. The apartment he lives in also has a large number of Asians living there. Now that I see that his mother (whom matches the photo I saw on Facebook and now her Linkedin page) is an English teacher with a Masters in TESOL, it got me thinking again.

When I initally saw the high rate of Asian links to the family on Facebook, I wondered if he had it in for Asians, that maybe he had been rejected by an exchange student at some point and took his anger out on her.

I feel that he didn't leave the house intending to kill someone, but that he had been out that night and was heading home. Nightclubs in Brisbane have a lock out at 3am, and it isn't unusual for people his age to be out until daybreak, which makes me think he was walking home, maybe on the opposite side of the street that Eunji was walking down,as that is the street he would most likely walk to get to home. He may have had alcohol or other substances in his system at that stage, which may heighten his anger and then he saw Eunji walking alone and something snapped and he saw his chance for his long obsession for killing. Or maybe he didn't even intend to kill her, that he tried to hit on her but was rejected and then he snapped? I know that when walking through the Brisbane CBD on a Saturday night/early Sunday morning and you are female, there are always late night clubbers making their way home and try to chat to you because they are drunk, most of them are harmless but I have known others to get abusive if you tell them to leave you alone.

I know at the moment the Brisbane police and government are trying to assure everyone that this wasn't a race related incident, but the links to Asians in this case just makes me wonder if deep down it was some hatred he held towards them. Be it that he was rejected by one in the past, or that his mothers work teaching English took her away from spending time with him and he became resentful towards a certain race of people. Just makes me wonder.

This is pure speculation but finding out that his mother was an English questions really rung some alarm bells with me. For a few reasons. When his name was first leaked to the media, I went straight to Facebook and found his profile, however it was set to private as there was nothing on there except saying he was in a complicated relationship. However, with the new facebook search of being able to search for "photos of whomever" "Photos commented on by whomever", I was able to trace back to a few family members, one of which was his cousin, aunty and sister. His profile has now been taken down, as has his sisters. She had a photo of herself, her mother and him as her profile photo, which had been added in August this year.

But what has got alarm bells ringing is the following, his mother, sister, cousin and aunty, all had links to Asians, be it having exchange students or teaching. His aunty and cousin live in Hong Kong, and his aunty is also a teacher of English. His sister had people writing on her wall that were Asian and obviously had English as their second language due to how they were writing, one of which said that they miss her and Brisbane. Which made me wonder if they had exchange students at some point. The apartment he lives in also has a large number of Asians living there. Now that I see that his mother (whom matches the photo I saw on Facebook and now her Linkedin page) is an English teacher with a Masters in TESOL, it got me thinking again.

When I initally saw the high rate of Asian links to the family on Facebook, I wondered if he had it in for Asians, that maybe he had been rejected by an exchange student at some point and took his anger out on her.

I feel that he didn't leave the house intending to kill someone, but that he had been out that night and was heading home. Nightclubs in Brisbane have a lock out at 3am, and it isn't unusual for people his age to be out until daybreak, which makes me think he was walking home, maybe on the opposite side of the street that Eunji was walking down,as that is the street he would most likely walk to get to home. He may have had alcohol or other substances in his system at that stage, which may heighten his anger and then he saw Eunji walking alone and something snapped and he saw his chance for his long obsession for killing. Or maybe he didn't even intend to kill her, that he tried to hit on her but was rejected and then he snapped? I know that when walking through the Brisbane CBD on a Saturday night/early Sunday morning and you are female, there are always late night clubbers making their way home and try to chat to you because they are drunk, most of them are harmless but I have known others to get abusive if you tell them to leave you alone.

I know at the moment the Brisbane police and government are trying to assure everyone that this wasn't a race related incident, but the links to Asians in this case just makes me wonder if deep down it was some hatred he held towards them. Be it that he was rejected by one in the past, or that his mothers work teaching English took her away from spending time with him and he became resentful towards a certain race of people. Just makes me wonder.

BBM

LE's public line is that he did go out looking to kill:

"McEwan went out on Sunday morning with the express purpose of killing someone and Ms Ban was the first person to cross his path, police will allege"

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...n-a-path-to-kill/story-fnihsrf2-1226769108484

And yes, I had wondered about the race issue too. But who knows how his mind works??!! It sounds like it was premeditated (if we believe MSM!!).

Whether it was indeed planned or a spontaneous 'snapping', he picked someone very physically vulnerable to act out his fantasies on........a very cowardly act :facepalm:

Yes it was a very cowardly act. Unfortunately it seems to be now happening all too often. First the random attack and murder of Joan Ryther as she was walking to work earlier this year and now Eunji Ban. And the North Queensland case of Shandee Blackburn this year, walking home from work. This type of thing very rarely happens in Brisbane and Queensland which I think is why people are so moved by it.

Great sleuthing by way, Tourmaline! It sounds like you found heaps of stuff online!! A couple of us had been searching to no avail!! :banghead:

Tis helpful to hear what you found - thanks!!

Police will claim he then dragged Ms Ban up a set of concrete and stone steps and hid her body behind a tree. The accused killer allegedly left items in the branches.

- See more at: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...y-e6frg6n6-1226769108484#sthash.rWRoi610.dpuf

This is disturbing, well the whole thing is, but I wonder what items he left in the branches.

I'm really curious about those items left in branches too, Humdinger. What were they? Items belonging to Eunji? Talismans of some kind? His friends may have been aware of some talk from ARM about some kind of belief/interest he had that was way outside of the norm.

I'm also curious about any racial motivation .. his own family may have mixed heritage, as many Aussie families do. Perhaps Eunji's heritage meant nothing, but it was the act of murder that meant everything to him?

I'm also curious about any racial motivation .. his own family may have mixed heritage, as many Aussie families do. Perhaps Eunji's heritage meant nothing, but it was the act of murder that meant everything to him?

Based on what the police have said so far, ARM left home on Sunday morning, "intent on killing" the first person he saw. Given that it was 4am Sunday, very few people were around (if it were 2am or earlier there would be a bit more pedestrian traffic leaving pubs/nightclubs/etc). Eunji was the first person he came across, just a short distance from his family's unit, and he killed her.

I don't know if he was up all night fantasising about killing someone and/or taking drugs...but for whatever reason, police believe he wanted to become a murderer that morning, and that was his sole reason for leaving the house.

I have not heard anyone say he was out all night partying/drinking/doing drugs...at least not at this stage.

So this poor girl is unlucky enough not to just be attacked on a quiet Sunday morning, but is unlucky enough to be attacked by perhaps (hopefully) the only true psychopath freely walking the streets of Brisbane.

So this poor girl is unlucky enough not to just be attacked on a quiet Sunday morning, but is unlucky enough to be attacked by perhaps (hopefully) the only true psychopath freely walking the streets of Brisbane.

Heart breaking to read this...

In a cruel twist of fate, it is believed Ms Ban had overslept and was running 30 minutes late for work as a cleaner at the Transcontinental Hotel when her path crossed with her alleged killer.

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/hundreds-attend-memorial-murdered/2098077/

Annerley is not as bad as is being portrayed....I have lived there for 30 years. Yes there are a lot of break and enters but that is because a lot of the locals are lax with security and also because a lot of the houses have been bought by young professionals who have a lot of money to spend on all the mod cons and the criminals target these areas. I have a lot of friends in the suburb and only one has been robbed in 30 years.

That bike track is isolated and dark at night and there are parts of it that are a fair way from houses including the area of the attack....I walk in that area during the day as its at the end of my street. The attacker could have come from anywhere as its a long bike track.

I very recently signed up for an account because this terrible incident occurred just down the road from where I live in Spring Hill. I have been reading the responses on this thread and I can’t help but notice one glaring thing that no one has yet gathered or pointed out (and neither have the media). This evil man, Alex McEwan, is none other than a person born without a conscience. By definition, that makes him none other than a psychopath.

I am rapidly losing patience with society at large which fails to name these psychopathic creatures for what they are, when all the evidence points to them being just that — people who resemble normal humans, but are anything but humans deep down, for they are nothing like normal people born with a conscience.

I am also rapidly losing patience with the absurd notion that “no one is born evil”. Newsflash: Yes, some people are! There are numerous documented cases of very normal, intelligent parents having children with very normal upbringings, who nonetheless turn out to be psychopathic. I have been studying psychopathy for many, many years; I have read many different books from many different psychologists and scientists, and it is a fact that up to 6% of the world’s population is psychopathic. Brain scans show psychopathy to be an inherent hardwiring of the brain that no amount of therapy can ever fix; on the contrary therapy has shown to make these psychopaths worse!

It is abundantly clear to me that this man Alex McEwan has absolutely no ability whatsoever to empathise with another human being; he lacks any kind of conscience. Alas much of the world is controlled by psychopaths, and many of them are much more intelligent than Alex McEwan because they avoid doing openly criminal things such as murdering innocent people at night. But they are psychopaths nonetheless and are behind the orchestrations of many wars and other heinous mass crimes. Many CEOs are psychopathic, for they are drawn to positions of power.

I could go on and on for pages and pages on this topic, but rather, I suggest everyone do themselves a massive favour and read books on the topic of psychopathy ASAP, because everyone encounters them on a daily basis and needs to be educated on recognising them and dealing with them. Most of them are not serial killers; in fact many of them can come across as quite charming to begin with, until you know them better.

Recommended Books:

The Sociopath Next Door -- Martha Stout
Women Who Love Psychopaths -- Sandra Brown
The Mask of Sanity -- Hervey Cleckley
Snakes in Suits -- Robert Hare and Paul Babiak
Without Conscience -- Robert Hare

Hi Tourmaline & Anthony23 & welcome to Websleuths...nice to have you both on board!

Lots of very interesting food for thought in all your posts...thankyou!

Absolutely - it's chilling, isn't it?

I agree re the psychopath theory - he doesn't sound delusional or psychotic. He apparently left home with a plan and he acted upon it. The fact that he lay down beside her when cars drove past is very alarming - such clarity of thought there. He wasn't lost in a frenzy of emotion (even though it sounds like he must have been when you read about what he actually did to the poor woman and how he was yelling out 'Die!')

He knew exactly what he was doing - would have fantasised about it endlessly before.

I too want to know how they know all this information about him so quickly. And if they know from other people being aware of this, was mental health care sought for him? Or did he slip through the cracks??

He has no internet presence that I have been able to find so far, which seems odd for a twenty year old......

I just read that three of his friends rang the police. At least they had the courage/decency to do that for Eunji. Blessings to her.

http://www.qt.com.au/news/hundreds-attend-memorial-murdered/2098077/
Interesting that THREE of ARM's friends called police...

were they all together?

Did ARM run to their place(s) and confess?

Did ARM tell his friends he had fantasies about killing?... And that was his intent that Sunday morning?

I am so interested in HOW LE gained the information that he was fantasizing about killing a person(s)...

:waitasec:

NOVEMBER 28, 2013

"McEwan also allegedly wrote a note to Ms Ban's family after his arrest, The Courier-Mail can reveal."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...ne-police-allege/story-fnii5v71-1226770021059

I wonder what form this letter that ARM wrote took...

was it a written letter? (I assume it was since he should have no access to computers once he was arrested.)

I wonder what it said?

I wonder if he asked the LE to relay it to the family... Since he could not have had their address...

so puzzling...:waitasec:

<Thanksgiving Greetings from Colorado, USA----I'm having Australian cheddar for the first time...its yummy!>

Excuse the delicate subject I am broaching here...

but... There is no mention of a sexual assault in MSM...

I would think if his motive was rage from rejection he would have attempted sexual assault, too?

Just some thoughts...

<Thanksgiving Greetings from Colorado, USA----I'm having Australian cheddar for the first time...its yummy!>

Happy Thanksgiving, Margarita!

does your cheese look like this? >>>>>:cheesehead:

:giggle:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member