GUILTY Australia - Eunji Ban, 23, murdered in Brisbane park, 24 Nov 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree...

It is almost like he had a bull horn out announcing what he did right after the crime...

This IS curious...

JMO

Fits the psychopath profile to the letter though...http://www.diffen.com/difference/Psychopath_vs_Sociopath

Criminal behavior: Tendency to leave clues and act on impulse.

Criminal Predispositions: Tendency for impulsive or opportunistic criminal behavior, excessive risk taking, impulsive or opportunistic violence.

Really interesting comments on psychopathy. Welcome new members!

I think there are two schools of thought on the nature/nurture debate about whether psychopaths are born or created through their environment. I believe there has actually been some research done in the last few years that actually shows that psychopaths lack a basic hardwiring/neural activity necessary for empathy, etc. So there is research been done on both sides of the debate.

From my psych studies and from experience, I strongly believe there is a genetic predisposition to psychopathy. Of course life experience can strongly shape a person's choices, but I do believe there are people in this world who just don't possess what is needed to feel the emotions most of us feel. They perceive the world in a different way, not just because of abuse, upbringing etc. I think it runs a lot deeper than that.

I think there is much interest in studying children/teenagers in relation to psychopathy, but this is an ethical mindfield. For instance, if a child is found to have psychopathic tendencies, and is likely to harm someone in the future, should they be removed from society or should they be given the benefit of the doubt (even though treatment is usually unsuccessful in severe cases).

Fits the psychopath profile to the letter though...http://www.diffen.com/difference/Psychopath_vs_Sociopath

Criminal Predispositions: Tendency for impulsive or opportunistic criminal behavior, excessive risk taking, impulsive or opportunistic violence.

His actions certainly do appear to fit those psychopathic descriptives.

Also, from your article ....

The symptoms ... begin to establish and surface at approximately fifteen years of age (so possibly in about 2009 for this person).
The initial symptom can be excessive cruelty to animals ( :( ) followed by lack of conscience, remorse or guilt for hurtful actions to others at a later stage. There may be an intellectual understanding of appropriate social behavior but no emotional response to the actions of others.

I wonder if he was being treated for ASPD? This, of course, could potentially and very unfairly 'diminish' his responsibility at trial time ... however, one would think that it would still mean many, many years locked up in one institution or another ... forever would be good IMO.

Accused murderer Alex McEwan had a run-in with police the day before Eunji Ban was killed

November 29, 2013

THE teenager accused of bashing to death Korean student Eunji Ban came to the notice of police the night before her murder.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Alex McEwan came into contact with officers after a street disturbance in Brisbane's south on Friday night last week

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...i-ban-was-killed/story-fnihsrf2-1226771822510

Accused murderer Alex McEwan had a run-in with police the day before Eunji Ban was killed

November 29, 2013

THE teenager accused of bashing to death Korean student Eunji Ban came to the notice of police the night before her murder.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Alex McEwan came into contact with officers after a street disturbance in Brisbane's south on Friday night last week

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...i-ban-was-killed/story-fnihsrf2-1226771822510

Aha!

This is starting to answer some questions regarding the time line of events leading up to ARM's heinous crime...

JMO

I noticed that too Marg - the discrepancy between his employment and the professions of his parents.<modsnip>
I would think he must have had noticeable issues as a child and wouldn't be surprised if there had been disturbing incidences before this - it is highly unusual to just suddenly kill someone - usually a series of escalating actions over their life.......or some other acting out behaviours indicating deeper disturbance eg drug use/vandalism/petty crime. We'll see........

Other possible behaviors he may have exhibited is harming animals... :(

JMO

Thank you...

This is a "short and sweet", yet succinct, comparison between sociopathy and psychopathy...

JMO

I think there are two schools of thought on the nature/nurture debate about whether psychopaths are born or created through their environment. I believe there has actually been some research done in the last few years that actually shows that psychopaths lack a basic hardwiring/neural activity necessary for empathy, etc. So there is research been done on both sides of the debate.

From my psych studies and from experience, I strongly believe there is a genetic predisposition to psychopathy. Of course life experience can strongly shape a person's choices, but I do believe there are people in this world who just don't possess what is needed to feel the emotions most of us feel. They perceive the world in a different way, not just because of abuse, upbringing etc. I think it runs a lot deeper than that.

I think there is much interest in studying children/teenagers in relation to psychopathy, but this is an ethical mindfield. For instance, if a child is found to have psychopathic tendencies, and is likely to harm someone in the future, should they be removed from society or should they be given the benefit of the doubt (even though treatment is usually unsuccessful in severe cases).

Well written, Strangeworld!

To further these thoughts...

I am a strong advocate for dispelling the societal discrimination (correct word?) against people with deficiencies/aberrations in mental processes/functions...

As people are born with and/or develop physical impairments ... And society does not shun these conditions... Some people are born with or develop mental impairments... Thus these people should not be shunned by society, either...

However... By following this "logic"... It makes sense to me that people may be born without the ability to experience remorse/guilt ....

And, therefore... I can understand that some people are born with mental conditions that are, unfortunately, dangerous to society...

However... The ethics surrounding the diagnoses of the disorders.... And the means to prevent effects of the behaviors of these individuals... Is a conundrum...

All JMO...

November 29, 2013

The article in the link above has me wondering if "the boys" referred to by LE were also the witnesses who informed LE about ARM's connection to the murder of Eunji?

"The earlier disturbance unfolded on Beaudesert Rd at Moorooka, between Dinmore St and Hamilton Rd."

"A couple with two young children who live along the busy road say they were woken at 2am by a knock on the door from police."

"An officer told them "young boys" had broken the wing mirror on their car, which had been parked on the street."

:waitasec:

JMO

It's a horrible thought, isn't it?

The classic triad of behaviours are bedwetting, fire starting and hurting animals...........:facepalm:

And I totally agree with SouthAussie re guilt about poor Eunjin being killed by an Australian.....I feel really bad about that too. Blessings to her and her beautiful family.

Hey Strangeworld :seeya:

Great post. And yes, it's such an ethical minefield with children/teens.

I just wanted to make it clear that I don't believe that the upbringing is the ONLY factor in creating a psychopath - I do believe there is an underlying predisposition that people are born with and then, depending on life experiences, it will be triggered to varying degrees.

So, if two people are born with a predisposition to psychopathy, the person with the nurturing family may still display psychopathic tendencies and personality traits as an adult, but they may restrict that to the business world, rather than go and actually wield their desire for power through murder. Whereas the person who suffers abuse/emotional neglect in childhood will then go a whole step further as an adult......I think a whole lot of factors combine and I do believe that family environment is a big contributor.

Saying that, none of it excuses what someone like ARM has just done! The callousness is just so horrifying. And it's not his parents fault - we all do the best we can at parenting. This would be just terrible for them as well.

JMO

"Because abusers target the powerless, crimes against animals, spouses, children, and the elderly often go hand in hand. Children who abuse animals may be repeating a lesson learned at home; like their parents, they are reacting to anger or frustration with violence. Their violence is directed at the only individual in the family who is more vulnerable than they are: an animal."

http://www.peta.org/issues/companio...eets/animal-abuse-human-abuse-partners-crime/

There is a movie out 'We Need to talk About Kevin' which looks at a boy such as this. I actually preferred the book. I couldn't put it down', and I thoroughly recommend it. The author is Lionel Shriver (a woman) and it looks at the mother's perspective.

I just wanted to add that if I were one of Eunji's family, the last thing I would want to do is read Alex' letter. Maybe in six months time when he and my family had done some private reflecting. However days after her death is just 'off' to me. This all seems to have happened on fast forward - the crime, the small details of the crime being released to the media, and his writing of the letter. It is just bizarre.

I just wanted to add that if I were one of Eunji's family, the last thing I would want to do is read Alex' letter. Maybe in six months time when he and my family had done some private reflecting. However days after her death is just 'off' to me. This all seems to have happened on fast forward - the crime, the small details of the crime being released to the media, and his writing of the letter. It is just bizarre.

BBM

Absolutely! I am hoping that just because he actually wrote them a letter, it doesn't mean that LE gave it to them.......but I assume they have if MSM is reporting on it. But it does seem all too soon - if there ever is a right time to receive such a thing! :facepalm:

And what on earth could he have written in such a letter? It's seriously creepy - like a display of his power or something.......feels pretty warped IMO

I'm wondering if the letter must be kept by the Police as evidence.
I cannot see the Police giving the letter to Eunji's parents.
jmo

BBM

Absolutely! I am hoping that just because he actually wrote them a letter, it doesn't mean that LE gave it to them.......but I assume they have if MSM is reporting on it. But it does seem all too soon - if there ever is a right time to receive such a thing! :facepalm:

And what on earth could he have written in such a letter? It's seriously creepy - like a display of his power or something.......feels pretty warped IMO

I thought it may have been part of the police tactics in gaining a confession and possibly proving to a future jury he was capable of empathy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denie67
Back