Australia Australia - Gerard Ross, 11, Rockingham, WA, 14 Oct 1997

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If the circus was held at central Rockingham on the Village Lane park – that’s just off Kent St, and “possibly” where the witness saw the two men struggling with a boy. The distance from Village Lane, along Kent St to the caravan park is a straight run 2.5kms according to Google Maps

From what I can gather the Library on Kent St is near the Village Lane Park, which is where the other boy was offered a lift by someone driving a beige/cream coloured sedan.

Thanks to Annalise for bringing the Circus to my attention… JMO

There's ample parking at Village Lane, it's where we recently parked for the New Years Eve sky show.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-32...4!1s9qzwjgQOh-daA7Nn6-bFRg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I'm not local to Rockingham.

Is anyone aware, whereabouts the circus' have been held in the past?

Can people please ask around?

Many thanks.

I'm not local to Rockingham.

Is anyone aware, whereabouts the circus' have been held in the past?

Can people please ask around?

Many thanks.
Pretty sure that on on the lawn area at the beach opposite the carnival place in the 70's. Dunno about later, because they planted trees and put paths and buildings etc on that grass area in the 80's, and the carnival had shut down by then.
Maybe it was down by that new shopping centre that was built when they developed Read St and put in all those houses East of Shoalwater

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

The Ross family were staying, on holiday toward Kent St’s northern end. That area has much established housing, mainly built in the 1960s. Some of those properties, were at the time,1997, being developed into new units or double-story townhouses and still continue to be developed. It's within close-proximity to the Indian Ocean, and it’s most pristine beaches.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Kent+St,+Rockingham+WA+6168/@-32.2701732,115.736814,645m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x2a329cb7255727b3:0xcf724b7bb8faebbd!8m2!3d-32.270483!4d115.7399662

Throughout the mid-1990s Rockingham and surrounding suburbs had much building growth. Labourers of all building trades were busily working throughout the entire vicinity – Rockingham had many tradesmen travelling to and fro.

1996 to 1997 - 974 houses built - 65 other projects
1997 to 1998 - 922 houses built - 68 other projects

Throughout the 1990s Rockingham evolved from being a holiday resort to highly suburbanised, and has since been incorporated to form part of Perth’s suburban area.

http://rockingham.wa.gov.au/getmedi...nd-Urban-Development-Snapshot-2015_1.pdf.aspx

Pretty sure that on on the lawn area at the beach opposite the carnival place in the 70's. Dunno about later, because they planted trees and put paths and buildings etc on that grass area in the 80's, and the carnival had shut down by then.
Maybe it was down by that new shopping centre that was built when they developed Read St and put in all those houses East of Shoalwater

I don't remember a carnival in Rockingham. There was a carnival in Mandurah - where Dolphin Quays is now located.

I don't remember a carnival in Rockingham. There was a carnival in Mandurah - where Dolphin Quays is now located.
It was like Luna Park in St Kilda, but trashier. Right next to the Jetty with a big carpark out the front. With a pub on the opposite corner. And a kiosk on the side facing the Jetty

The link provided by CV says that there were actually three people involved in the shoe stealing child murder. One of them was unnamed.
There is perhaps a slim chance that the third 'unnamed' offender may have been involved in the death of GR?

Jeremy McLaughlin and Craig Brian Wood were two of three people involved in the deadly attack of two boys - Centenary Park, Wilson - Nov 1995.

1995 Victims: Phillip Vidot (14) was killed and Tyron Williams was in a coma for 8-days sustaining permanent brain damage.

McLaughlin wielded a cricket bat and Wood ran them over. No repercussions for the third person!

What happened to the third person?
What is his name?
Where is he now?

McLaughlin & Wood weren’t sentenced until two years later – Nov 1997.
McLaughlin was imprisoned then deported back to NZ. In Nov 2011 he killed a teenage girl - Jade Bayliss.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...4-2idpn.html&usg=AOvVaw0__SiDQEI_TQo1-T-1v8jk

1997 Gerard Ross incident: - A witness reported seeing two men struggling with a boy the morning Gerard disappeared.

The car was either a faded maroon or light brown station wagon which may look similar to one of the “samples” provided in the link below. Please disregard colours other than faded maroon or brown.

The two men were described as mid-30s one fair-headed the other dark hair. Nowadays they’d be mid-50s.Perhaps during 1997 they were tradesmen or labourers, or residing within a Rockingham caravan park or drug and rehab centre.

https://www.google.com.au/search?bi...copM:&imgrc=l6eU5iOB1bL0cM:&spf=1515761506411

Jeremy McLaughlin and Craig Brian Wood were two of three people involved in the deadly attack of two boys - Centenary Park, Wilson - Nov 1995.

1995 Victims: Phillip Vidot (14) was killed and Tyron Williams was in a coma for 8-days sustaining permanent brain damage.

McLaughlin wielded a cricket bat and Wood ran them over. No repercussions for the third person!

What happened to the third person?
What is his name?
Where is he now?

McLaughlin & Wood weren’t sentenced until two years later – Nov 1997.
McLaughlin was imprisoned then deported back to NZ. In Nov 2011 he killed a teenage girl - Jade Bayliss.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...4-2idpn.html&usg=AOvVaw0__SiDQEI_TQo1-T-1v8jk

Hi CV - do you know if McLoughlin and Woods would have been picked up by police and locked up until they were sentenced in Nov 1997?

“McLaughlin & Wood weren’t sentenced until two years later – Nov 1997.”

Gerard Ross went missing on Oct 14 1997.

If they had been out on bail they could well have been involved in Gerard Ross’s murder. Same mo. They targeted Phillip Vidot for his new sneakers. We know that Gerard was missing a Yankees cap which was rare.

I know it’s a long shot but if it was McLoughlin and Woods that might explain the two men struggling with a boy as seen by a witness. Also Gerard’s crime was said to be not sex related - neither was the Phillip Vidot crime. The similarities would be the extremely violent behaviour of the people who committed both murders. MOO

Hi CV - do you know if McLoughlin and Woods would have been picked up by police and locked up until they were sentenced in Nov 1997?

If they had been out on bail they could well have been involved in Gerard Ross’s murder. Same mo. They targeted Phillip Vidot for his new sneakers. We know that Gerard was missing a Yankees cap which was rare.

I know it’s a long shot but if it was McLoughlin and Woods that might explain the two men struggling with a boy as seen by a witness. Also Gerard’s crime was said to be not sex related - neither was the Phillip Vidot crime. The similarities would be the extremely violent behaviour of the people who committed both murders. MOO
I think we need to know if all three of them were locked up at the time of Gerard's murder? My guess is that at least one may not have been (the unnamed one)? I am not making any accusations of course, but it would be helpful to know if all three were locked up at the time. jmo

Annalise,

My thoughts are the same as yours. What if they were out on baile and just overlooked for Gerard's murder.
I've emailed Crimestoppers but if I don't hear back will write a letter and put it in the post.

McLaughlin is primarily a thief, he stole Phillip's sneakers and robbed Jade Bayliss' home in NZ, unfortunately Jade was home from school, at the time, and he killed her and burnt the house.

Yes Gerard's Yankee's cap is missing!

These are only my thoughts and opinions.

I think we need to know if all three of them were locked up at the time of Gerard's murder? My guess is that at least one may not have been (the unnamed one)? I am not making any accusations of course, but it would be helpful to know if all three were locked up at the time. jmo
Thanks Mo Joe, We'll get to the bottom of this!

Jade Bayliss was strangled with a sock shoved in her mouth.
I'm sure I read somewhere recently that GR was strangled?

Jade Bayliss was strangled with a sock shoved in her mouth.
I'm sure I read somewhere recently that GR was strangled?
Mo Joe,

I'm no expert on the matter but post #172 - 15 Jan 2018 - Elastic wrote....

(Snipped for brevity) If a paedophile had taken Ross I'm sure he would have atleast sodomised the poor child. A ligature was found around Gerards neck, usually that means serial killer, paedophiles have form using their hands to strangle their victims to death after rape or sodomy.

I'm only guessing, but if 1 victim was dead and the other in a coma, then brain damaged, then the 3rd person in the attack might've been vital to providing evidence to put away McLaughlin and Wood. I'm guessing that the 3rd was in witness protection.

I'm only guessing, but if 1 victim was dead and the other in a coma, then brain damaged, then the 3rd person in the attack might've been vital to providing evidence to put away McLaughlin and Wood. I'm guessing that the 3rd was in witness protection.

My thoughts are that the 3rd person was a minor. It appears McLaughlin was the instigator but Wood's drove the car.

I wonder where the dog hair/s fit in? Is it possible that any of them had puppies at the time, and somehow lured him with the puppies? Sorry if this has already been suggested.

I wonder where the dog hair/s fit in? Is it possible that any of them had puppies at the time, and somehow lured him with the puppies? Sorry if this has already been suggested.
Mo Joe,

Perhaps a puppy did grab Gerard’s attention. I’m under the impression, through DNA they might be able to tell what breed of dog it was.

Could this scenario perhaps have taken place… The perpetrators were already parked within a Kent St driveway, perhaps a building site. If a puppy did catch Gerard’s attention perhaps one of the perps. took it upon himself to abduct Gerard – encouraging the second person to drive off, with Gerard – thinking the perpetrator sat in the back seat restraining Gerard.

WAPOL mentioned Gerard was probably taken somewhere, prior to his death. Perhaps Gerard was taken back to one of the perp’s houses – thinking a bogan type house where a few people lived.

The Birnie’s were brazen enough to take victims back to their house. That’s suburban Willagee with larger than average blocks so the neighbours weren’t too close. I don’t get the impression the Birnie’s were overly intelligent though!

These are only my thoughts and opinions.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjni8WWmfzYAhVC6LwKHSt4DV4QFggpMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.abc.net.au%2Fnews%2F2017-01-17%2Fgerard-ross-murder-cold-case-timeline%2F8187904&usg=AOvVaw3yFmdiFrDujBAxx6x7Augv

[url]http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/murder-uncovered-reveals-more-possible-victims-of-david-and-catherine-birnie-20170208-gu8o1o.html
[/URL]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghosty_gal
Back