Australia Australia - Gerard Ross, 11, Rockingham, WA, 14 Oct 1997

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Police boost reward for Gerard Ross murder and other unsolved cases

Police boost reward for Gerard Ross murder and other unsolved cases

14 October 2018 — 8:50am

Extract>

The reward for information leading to a conviction for Gerard Ross' murder has been increased from $100,000 to $250,000 on the 21st anniversary of his disappearance.

In a move that will overhaul the state's rewards systems, rewards for 10 other cold case homicides and suspicious disappearances will also be increased.

The new framework for rewards was also established by the government, allowing for $1 million to be paid to people who help solve crimes.

Gerard and his brother Malcolm left their holiday home on Kent Street, Rockingham, around 9.30am on October 14, 1997, intending to visit a comic book store.

Gerard's brother, who was on roller blades, went ahead having agreed to meet Gerard at the store.

Shortly after passing 99 Kent Street, Gerard went missing.

His body was later found in Karnup about 20 kilometres from Rockingham on October 28, 1997.

Nobody has been charged in connection to his death.

“I’m keen to support police with the offer of rewards to help apprehend offenders and bring justice to grieving families," Police Minister Michelle Roberts said.

“Rewards can be a valuable tool in cases where investigators believe they have the potential to generate new information or bring forward new witnesses.

“The hotchpotch system of disparate rewards we inherited needed review and I wanted to ensure we kept pace with other jurisdictions.

“Hopefully the offer of a quarter-of-a-million-dollar reward may be incentive enough to get someone to come forward with information that leads to an arrest in the Gerard Ross case.”

Anyone with information regarding Gerard's abduction and murder should contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

So...been looking for a new case to bury my teeth into. The abduction and murder of Gerard Ross has been on my mind the past month...on and off. When I dove back in to this case recently, my memory had it at at missing person and not a homicide. Disappointed to hear. Even going back too `97 was surprised of the the lack of MSM covering the case.

Just read through the forum. Have had a read through what I could find on the net. Very interested in this case. For sure believe by what I've read there has to be a connection to other case/s.

Hopefully we have a resolve in this case like we did in the CSK case.

rbbm.
Oct 12 2019
Cold case murder of Perth boy Gerard Ross being reinvestigated
"One of Western Australia's largest and longest running murder mysteries is being reinvestigated, with the hope of a potential breakthrough.
Twenty-two after schoolboy Gerard Ross was snatched and killed in Rockingham, WA Police say new forensic technology could be the key to finding his killer.
The 11-year-old was abducted on Kent Street in Rockingham during a family holiday on October 14, 1997.
The young boy was walking down the road behind his brother and had arranged to meet him at a comic store, but Gerard never arrived."
https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F2d2e38d0-dc21-4483-8d2c-4ecc9b80cef6

Gerard Ross was snatched and killed in 1997. (9News)
"There's someone out there that would know something or have a strong suspicion - could be around their husband, brother, close relative, there the persons that we want to come forward and talk to us," Acting Commander Wilde added.
https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F58ca1b44-e105-449e-a5a4-4389521b46ae

Every lead, piece of evidence, and suspect will be reviewed. (9News)
"Over 1,300 people have been flagged as having possible involvement in the murder.
Detectives recently flew to London to use state-of-the-art forensic technology, and also to Scotland where Gerard's family now live.
"There's been huge improvements in forensic technology and we're using that latest technology now within this investigation," Acting Commander Wilde added.

The Ross family are grateful for the reinvestigation and have been in constant communication with police."

Oct 12, 2019

Police To Re-Investigate Cold Case Murder Of 11-Year-Old Gerard Ross
Oct 12 2019
"Every piece of evidence is reviewed forensically, every lead that we have is followed up again and reviewed and re-investigated," he told reporters on Saturday.

"We look at all suspects, whether they be deceased in some cases, we go back over everyone."

Investigators have also renewed their appeal for information about Gerard's only personal item still missing - a New York Yankees baseball cap he was wearing when he vanished.

17a167662b11a13829808f2cd0a376c5-750636.jpg

Photo: 10 News First
A $250,000 reward offered by the state government remains available for information about Gerard's murder.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen any of the documentary yet? Is it worthwhile or just rehashing stuff already available in the public domain?

Its a pity because if the West really did want to help solve the case this information and the documentary series would be available publically. Instead the media is trying to profiteer off Gerards case.

If the dog/ puppy was involved with the perpetrator its very likely it was killed after the news reports and discarded/cremated so it wouldnt tie the perpetrator to the crime during the investigation. Most vets will cremate and get rid of the animal body for a very small fee, or it could have been burried in a rural area around Rockingham. I very much doubt it was kept, and hence why its probably never been reported with any of the previous suspects.
Good reasoning elastic.
There is a local dog beach not far away, and if GR was walking on the foreshore he may well have encountered a dog or two. Without casting any aspersions on the good folk of Rockingham, my observation is that they favour a certain type of dog; a type of dog with a bad rep.
On the basis of your reasoning it would be worth checking the local government dog registrations for young-ish dogs that dropped off the radar after that year. That is, dogs that were unlikely to have died of natural causes.

Thanks petedavo. Definitely haven't read it. I'm still trying to recall the other case with the shoe laces. I thought it was a child or young person. Kylie Maybury perhaps?

Similarities between cases, reminds me of the female toddler Rahma el-Dennaoui who went missing from her bedroom in NSW (never to be seen again). The screen on the window had been cut apparently. I read somewhere that the screen on the bedroom window of Renee Aitken Narooma NSW aged 5 (never to be seen again) had also been cut. As well as suspicion of a perp having access through bedroom window when kidnapping another female child from Victoria (also vanished into thin air)? From memory only. Sorry to go off track, but sometimes it's the similar details that stand out. That's why it's helpful when such information is released, or, investigative journalists spend time writing about these unsolved cases.
Also Eloise Worledge with same mo.

Fibres found on the body of murdered schoolboy Gerard Ross matched those found on the bodies of Claremont serial killings victims Jane Rimmer and Ciara Glennon, the trial of the man accused of the women's murders has been told.
[...]
His killer has never been found.

Bradley Robert Edwards, 51, is on trial in the WA Supreme Court for the murders of Ms Rimmer and Ms Glennon as well as Sarah Spiers, whose body has never been found.
[...]
Evidence presented at the trial suggests that police at one stage considered the same person may have been responsible for the Claremont killings and Gerard's murder.
[...]
Edwards has admitted raping the teenager but denies the three wilful murder charges.

Fibres linked Gerard Ross murder to Claremont serial killings victims Jane Rimmer, Ciara Glennon - ABC News

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95
Back