GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a good point.

I remember being out in the city one night, and from the balcony of the restaurant I saw what looked like a man dragging a woman down the street. I watched for a while, saw that no one was doing anything about it, and ended up running down to check whether she was ok for myself. Turns out she was just really drunk and he was actually her boyfriend (I went to get her some water and ended up sitting with them for a while until I was sure she was going to be fine and she could confirm she actually knew him), but it just goes to show how little people notice when it's late and there's a lot going on.

A lot of the time people don't want to get involved, whether for fear of their own safety, or because they believe someone else will step in. The more people around, the greater this effect is, because people feel a diminished sense of responsibility when there are plenty of others around to help.

I just wanted to say that I think you are amazing for doing that!! :loveyou: So many people wouldn't and I think it's such a shame!

Surely someone in the bar could confirm if she was on the phone there?

Newbie Here eek :blushing:

I wasn’t so sure he'd pulled something out on her (knife, gun) until I saw how she took a second to register then kind of diverted away from him towards the road (Initially I thought this was a tipsy stumble) and then she's stopped in her tracks. He'd only have to glance up the road and back to see if any cars were coming to know if someone would see him or not. I wonder if she was already calling her brother when BH pulled the knife/ gun on her and BH told her NOT to hang up so suspicion wouldn’t be raised so quickly (if she had of hung up before her brother answered then I would imagine her brother would assume something might be wrong and try to call her back IMO) Just some thoughts???

:welcome:

I just can't think of what situation she'd get in the car under, but perhaps the call was made form a car and she wasn't too scared at that point. That really is the piece of the puzzle that is not fitting in.

So glad they're not relying on us to solve this! ;)

Oh my gosh... I may have to clean off my computer screen on that one... spewed a bit of coffee.. IYKWIM!

:silly:

(Sorry for the giggle... I really do take this case incredibly seriously, but the periodic humorous episodes help to relieve tension!)

I can't help thinking she didn't get into a car. As in he dragged her into an alley rendered her unconscious (or worse) then took a car to the spot then took her away. I just can't see her getting into a car especially so close to home.

Surely they can line up the time on the camera now, with the time on the network and figure out any discrepancies?

It seems so odd that she would walk off towards him unless she thought he'd gone, or he had a gun. Can you see the corner from where they were? If he'd walked off ahead of her, do you think she could have seen that he'd turned the corner onto Hope st?

This link was posted earlier and shows how close she was to her home. Matt Mitchell walks from the dress shop down Hope Street and to Jill's home. From this I think you would be able to see Hope Street.

It took him 5 minutes to walk from the dress shop to her door but he also mentions he is taller (larger strides) and her heels would slow her down.

Great video though - enjoy

http://thebrunxonline.com/2012/09/2...her-was-seen-on-cctv-to-her-home/#comment-166

There are msm reports that she also called her Mum? Was her brother living with her parents?

There are msm reports that she also called her Mum? Was her brother living with her parents?

I remember in one of the news reports (radio) they said...
the brother went down stairs to call her back so he didn't wake his father. So i assumed he lived at home with his parents.

Hi all.....first of all I have to say how excited I am that Websleuths has hit the australian news!!! he he..... I have been on here for 3 years, since Morgan Harrington went missing from a Metallica concert (bit of a fan)...........and my poor husband, sister and friends are constantly hearing about the latest missing person I am looking at on here.....

Anyhow, just wanted to say that yes I definitely think he has something in his hand...I also think that she is mucking around with her phone, so it might be her starting to dial the brothers no.....and then he answers, they talk etc.....I am thinking that maybe the guys are walking behind her or with her talking, she is a bit concerned because the look a bit like scumbags who might rob her etc.......hence what she says to her brother...........however I think that she might not have noticed the gun, (if it is indeed a gun)...........maybe he got it out of his pocket to threaten her and she has not noticed it .......if she was a bit pissy and thinking more of dialing a no. etc this is possible...we dont see what happens after that, so he may have put it behind his back or his hand and gun in the pocket, still walking with/behind her and then after she has finished the call, who knows what maybe got close behind her with it and got her into the car that way, so noone in passing cars would have seen her been pulled into a car.....to cut a long story short, I dont think she saw the gun.

Hi all, newbie here:)

I have been following this story and the WS thread for a couple of days and thought I'd join in to make a couple of observations.

I have been pretty sure that he was holding a gun since last night and the zoomed in footage has convinced me.

I think one thing to remember is that the CCTV footage is not a movie where a director has ensured all the 'action' happens within the frame of the shot. I imagine it would be pretty coincidental if this whole incident with BH began precisely at the point where they pass a shop that is well lit and happens to have CCTV.

With that in mind this is my theory...

I believe BH threatened JM with the gun prior to reaching the bridal store, but given how well lit it is, had to conceal it at the point they got there. I think there's a chance she is calling her brother under instruction from BH, i.e. "call someone and make them think everything is fine". I also wonder if the reason that BH disappears from the video for 5secs towards the end was because the police cut out a section where the gun was really overtly visible.

My question is to locals, are many of the shops prior to the bridal shop as well lit? I would imagine not.:moo::moo:

Everyone is so focussed on whether she made the call to her brother before or after the CCTV that is circulating. I think she had made the call and had hung up as she appeared in right hand part of screen and the voices were passerbys and hoodie bloke. Mobile then started to ring (brother or hubby) and hoodie bloke orders her not to answer.

I agree with this as a definite possibility.

Hi all, newbie here:)

I have been following this story and the WS thread for a couple of days and thought I'd join in to make a couple of observations.

I have been pretty sure that he was holding a gun since last night and the zoomed in footage has convinced me.

I think one thing to remember is that the CCTV footage is not a movie where a director has ensured all the 'action' happens within the frame of the shot. I imagine it would be pretty coincidental if this whole incident with BH began precisely at the point where they pass a shop that is well lit and happens to have CCTV.

With that in mind this is my theory...

I believe BH threatened JM with the gun prior to reaching the bridal store, but given how well lit it is, had to conceal it at the point they got there. I think there's a chance she is calling her brother under instruction from BH, i.e. "call someone and make them think everything is fine". I also wonder if the reason that BH disappears from the video for 5secs towards the end was because the police cut out a section where the gun was really overtly visible.

My question is to locals, are many of the shops prior to the bridal shop as well lit? I would imagine not.:moo::moo:

Yes, the missing 5 seconds of of video.
It keeps playing on my mind as to what happened in those 5 seconds that they needed to cut it out.

Surely they can line up the time on the camera now, with the time on the network and figure out any discrepancies?

It seems so odd that she would walk off towards him unless she thought he'd gone, or he had a gun. Can you see the corner from where they were? If he'd walked off ahead of her, do you think she could have seen that he'd turned the corner onto Hope st?

Using NearMap, I've measured it to be 85 metres from the CCTV/Dress Shop to the corner of Hope Street. There are about 12 shopfronts, of various width.

Police say phone calls Ms Meagher made to her brother, Michael, in Perth took place at 1:45am.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-26/police-release-cctv-images-of-missing-woman/4281096

I am not attempting to discredit you or anything but I did a timeline the other day and I remember it being triggered by the fact that police said the call was made at 1:43 - naturally I cannot find that piece of video for the life of me lol

That said, it is clear the call was made after the CCTV footage. Which leads to all kinds of questions and lots more assumptions lol

I'm very sad to see this beautiful young lady in this video of the CCTV footage and my heart goes out to her husband and family as I fear the worst has happened to her. I just hope I'm wrong.

The body language in the video is something I can only look at through my own filter of personal experience, but what I see is quite a street wise woman realising she is in trouble. Personally, if I felt threatened without any real evidence of immediate threat, the last thing I would do is show my fear. I would use my mobile to buy some time while I try to get a handle on what's going on around me and in this instance, I'd stop walking to help reveal the intentions of a passerby. If someone stopped with me or ahead of me like BH does, I would hesitate as well. If it was me, I wouldn't phone someone who I thought was asleep and unlikely to talk (husband), I'd phone someone who was likely awake and would engage in conversation with me. I still would not reveal my fear to anyone, unless there was evidence of an immediate threat. This is why I don't believe BH points a gun at Gillian, it seems more likely to be a phone to me.

We see more hesitation from Gillian when she appears to walk out of sight for the last time, in fact she stops again (as mentioned by DrWatson earlier on). It made me sad to read reports stating that she and the man then left "together" after the interaction, as if it were her will!

When BH and Gillian first come into view, on the right hand side of the shop front, I think he has just caught up with her after running. This would tie in with the man walking ahead of them who turns to watch what is happening behind him. It is very hard to run without making noise and I sure would notice, especially in that area at that time! Gillian appears to be taken aback by him and I definitely see her trying to distance herself from him. Poor Gillian, my heart breaks for her watching this! I so, so hope I'm wrong. :(

This link was posted earlier and shows how close she was to her home. Matt Mitchell walks from the dress shop down Hope Street and to Jill's home. From this I think you would be able to see Hope Street.

It took him 5 minutes to walk from the dress shop to her door but he also mentions he is taller (larger strides) and her heels would slow her down.

Great video though - enjoy

http://thebrunxonline.com/2012/09/2...her-was-seen-on-cctv-to-her-home/#comment-166

I can't believe that if she saw him turn the corner that she would have followed, given the obvious desolation of that street. And I feel like if she was worried, she would have been closely watching where he went before going on.

I also find it strange that there is no one who came along after they disappear from frame that the police want to talk to. It seems like it is far enough to the corner that passersby even a minute or two later may have seen something (especially with her in those shoes).

This whole thing is giving me the chills. So eerie

Yes, the missing 5 seconds of of video.
It keeps playing on my mind as to what happened in those 5 seconds that they needed to cut it out.

Its actually been stated by the police, and on here a few times, that the police did not edit the footage.

From news.com.au

....in the video released yesterday, but police say it has not been edited.

I'm pretty sure the black 'gun' people think they can see is just a video artefact.
Have a look at the picture below. Wherever white appears in the video a black edge (fringe) appears. You can see the artefact on the road line, surrounding the sticker on the door, on the top and bottom of BH's hand, at the door frame, on his pants (in other shots). The black surrounding his hand moves with his hand and is consistent with this 'fringing' artefact.

hand.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member