GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm always surprised when people jump up and down when someone brings up the issue of drinking in this sort of case. It IS relevant to the case, just like it would be relevant if the person had a broken arm, intellectual disability, was elderly, etc. Certain factors impact on vulnerability and awareness (amongst others), and also how the victim is perceived by offenders. When a member of the public asks was she drinking, it doesn't mean they are clarifying this question with any judgement (i.e. she deserved it). Some may make this judgement, but I think they are in the minority. I think this kneejerk response to shutdown discussion on the drinking factor says more about the reaction of the people jumping up and down than the person asking the question.

I think understanding her state when she was presumably attacked is highly relevant, as long as it is not accompanied by judgement of her as a victim.

If we lived in a culture where women weren't constantly being told they need to not drink or go out or flirt or wear pretty clothes if they don't want to be held responsible for being raped then you could say what you like. But that is the culture we DO live in.

But what you said has context, you can't pretend you're in a vacuum.

I've never heard such a comment by anyone I know or anyone in authority.

I've heard people comment on how to reduce the chances of being a victim of crime - that is completely different. After I was attacked in the city (from behind, with no provocation), some friends suggested being in that area at that time might not be a wise idea in the future. I agreed and certainly didn't feel like I was being told it was all or partly my fault.

In my case, CCTV helped get the guy. CCTV should be everywhere, despite what those on the far left say.

I'm always surprised when people jump up and down when someone brings up the issue of drinking in this sort of case. It IS relevant to the case, just like it would be relevant if the person had a broken arm, intellectual disability, was elderly, etc. Certain factors impact on vulnerability and awareness (amongst others), and also how the victim is perceived by offenders. When a member of the public asks was she drinking, it doesn't mean they are clarifying this question with any judgement (i.e. she deserved it). Some may make this judgement, but I think they are in the minority. I think this kneejerk response to shutdown discussion on the drinking factor says more about the reaction of the people jumping up and down than the person asking the question.

I think understanding her state when she was presumably attacked is highly relevant, as long as it is not accompanied by judgement of her as a victim.

Exactly.

Heh. Maybe the problem is people speak. Everyone should be permanently silent. You can always find someone who is offended by anything.

I get offended by people eating chips loudly.

Police Caravan on Sydney St Apparently.

This has been discussed earlier, many people said that people have the misconception that police will not act on anything until tyhe person has been missing for 24 hours so many that is the cause for delay of reporting.

I know it was discussed earlier. I wasn't aware the subject was now deemed closed. Thanks for pointing that out to me ;)

I don't have a problem with the poster asking that but I would have thought it was very well established by now she had been drinking that night which could have made her more of a target, why labour the point though?

Interesting article about this case and 'armchair' detectives - websleuths is actually referenced.

THE disappearance of ABC worker Jill Meagher has highlighted the growing trend of everyday Australians using social media to play armchair detective.
Within hours of Ms Meagher's disappearance on the way home from Friday night drinks with friends, amateur sleuths had flooded forums with possible leads and suspects.
But are they helping or hindering the process?

http://www.news.com.au/technology/t...p-or-a-hindrance/story-e6frfro0-1226482373605

Anyway, it's a fair question. The CCTV provides the answer in my view, as I stated in the other thread. She was definitely NOT grossly intoxicated. The shoes look like the only thing affecting her ability to walk*.

*I'm not blaming her choice of shoes for what happened.

I get offended by people eating chips loudly.

Police Caravan on Sydney St Apparently.

Police are aware that residents of Moreland have increased concerns about their safety due to recent events. In an effort to reassure the community and to increase public safety local police have launched increased patrols. A Mobile Police Facility has been set up on Sydney Road near Hope Street and will be manned by local members. Fawkner Highway Patrol members will also be in the area along with plain clothes detectives, bike patrol members and uniformed members conducting foot patrols. The operation is being run as an opportunity to connect with local residents and to hear their concerns.

http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/more-news/10500-brunswick-operation.html

I know I'm on dangerous ground here, but I don't take anything Deveny says seriously. She's renowned for publicity seeking tweets (including tweeting about an 11 year old girl "getting laid" - "I do so hope Bindi Irwin gets laid," Deveny wrote (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/enterta...er-at-bindi-rove/story-e6frf96x-1225861776586)).

Having said that, if she was attacked by the same guy then it just adds to the scariness of the situation (and no-one should have to put up with that, no matter what they tweet). Has he been menacing towards women down Sydney Road for months without being reported?

One of the presenters on Sydney radio this morning talked about this and said, no matter what you think of her, her comedy etc, she is very intelligent and also similar in appearance to JM. Should take her seriously.

Interesting article about this case and 'armchair' detectives - websleuths is actually referenced.

(BBM)
Hello to all the newbies/lurkers brought over from that article! Join in and let us know your thoughts.

BBM

I'm wondering if he was walking back and forth along that road trolling for lone women in general before he spotted Jill...

By the footage we've seen he didn't look like he was out for a breath of evening air. His general demeanour as he walked past the first and second time changed, and overall looked sus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow