GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
this new update is disturbing

Either he already had her there and he had called a mate or two to come join in, or that was him and an accomplice arriving back a the house with her.

Scary stuff. A lot more is going to come out of this, and its not going to be easy reading.

Welcome Oz...

can you please post a link to your quote. TIA!

ETA: Wonder why posters quotes don't always show up when quoting? (Hope that makes sense!)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/brunswick-locals-in-shock-after-arrest-in-jill-meagher-case/story-e6frf7kx-1226482923777

GRIEF-stricken neighbours, strangers and friends of Jill Meagher have placed flowers across the Brunswick community where Ms Meagher was last seen.

A cluster of bouquets laces the front of the Duchess Boutique on Sydney Rd, the store which captured the CCTV footage of Jill which proved to be a one of case's biggest breakthroughs.

Jill's missing person poster - the same one which was plastered across the district by her family on Saturday - has been pinned onto select bouquets and eerily flaps away in the blustery conditions.

One note stapled to a bunch of roses simply reads: "I'm so sorry".

Locals stroll past the site, slowing down to study the memorial. Many are heard muttering condolences under their breath.

Just 450m away, flowers have also been strewn along the entrance to the Lux Way apartment Jill had shared with husband, Tom.

One sympathy note is signed "from the neighbours you never met".

:candle:

The police have already said they are not seeking anyone else. So the several cars arriving at 2am is confusing. Given that it happened around 1:50am, how would he have time to rape, kill, then get his mates around to his house? Or alternatively subdue her enough to get her in the car.

Maybe he called for help, so they're not seeking anyone else for rape or murder but will arrest someone for being an accomplice after the fact?

A couple of reminders...

We do NOT discuss other members in here.

If you post information from MSM you MUST supply a link to it.

Trial by social media' worry in Meagher case, September 28, 2012 - 12:48PM
Adrian Lowe,Reporter, theage.com.au

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/technology...eagher-case-20120928-26pe4.html#ixzz27jbW6lhb

This article is useful in helping us websleuthers understand the implications of posting comments, once a matter is before the Courts. It states that The Law is not necessarily the same as Justice being done etc. It warns against jeopardizing the right to a fair trial for the accused. It is now best not to comment about his alleged guilt or innocence on websleuths IMO. We want the perpetrator of this horrendous crime convicted and put away for life.

Also...please stop & think for a minute why you are all here.

A loving family has lost their beautiful daughter in a horrendous crime & some of you want to continue on with childish argy bargy...that is so sad!!

I was so moved to read this:

Mr (Tom) Meagher and Ms Meagher's brother Michael McKeon held hands in court as Jill’s accused killer appeared briefly in court.

(source MSM)

That is what broke me. They both loved her so much.

Another reminder...if you have any questions please use the alert button or contact us by pm. Thanks everyone.

HI, I'm new here ... so thank you for allowing me to join!
Firstly, like many others I initially thought that the poor husband was somehow involved in this tragedy! I happily eat Humble Pie and apologise to him for my wrong opinion. My reasons are probably much like anyone else who believed it was him ... it's usually someone "close" to the victim" ... the police revisiting his house and removing evidence bags ... the handbag being "planted" at the scene after the initial search ... I really thought that these implied his guilt ... and again, SORRY!
My heart weeps for Jill - what an utter waste of a young, beautiful life! So much to offer ... taken under such horrific circumstances! My heart also breaks for her poor husband, Tom, as well as her family! I dread to imagine their grief right now!
As for the alleged offender - judging by that photo which is circulating everywhere, I find it most frightening that he appears "normal"! And the fact that people are suggesting he is married with 4 children - Dear God - I can't imagine the shame!!! I just hope justice is forthcoming and he gets the maximum penalty possible!
I do not believe people (I use the term lightly in this instance) like him can be rehabilitated ... there is a deep evil lurking within him and he will always be a danger to society - be it now or in 20 years!
Again, thank you for allowing me to join your group! x

Hi all, after having browsed this site for a few days after seeing it mentioned on other pages, I have just completed my registration.

There are so many things I wanted to comment on. This post will be long and all over the place.

I became deeply disturbed by this case around the second day, when I caught up on the news and saw Jill's beautiful vibrant smile and imagined her lovely Irish accent. Like everyone, I hoped that whatever happened she would return home. Watching her uncle speak on camera brought out tears that I was holding back til now. Such gentle people.

When the police started talking about a "homicide" investigation and "grave concerns", I sadly assumed they knew more than they let on and were preparing the public for the worst. Even so, I hoped it was all over quickly for her and she didn't suffer. I refused to let the thought of the Anita Cobby case enter my mind. I still can't comprehend how horrendous things can happen to the most beautiful of people. My mind just cannot process it.

In regards to the investigation, I believe there could be a lot of CCTV footage, given that police said they needed to sort through it all and be careful about what was released to the public.

IF this suspect has been involved in other incidents, it's possible LE may have been concerned even before the CCTV - perhaps they feared the behaviour was "escalating".

IMO the police released the footage to get enough witnesses to make an arrest. I believe they knew who they wanted early on, and just needed witnesses. Also, I think the police van set-up was not to allay fears, but for the police to be highly visible and accessible to potential witnesses. Obviously everyone on the street would have been talking about it, recalling seeing things in the past, and the police wanted to be in the thick of it.

If any young woman is reading this, some good advice that I once saw from LE on a TV article years ago: If you are attacked or held at gunpoint in a public place, never let yourself be taken to a second location. Make a scene. Do whatever you have to even if you fear you will be shot in front of everyone. Poor Jill seemed savvy and probably tried to do this, but we still don't know what went so horribly wrong. If she sensed danger I wish she had run out into the traffic that was constantly passing by (easy to say in hindsight). The most chilling part of the CCTV video is that she looks back just before following BH - and nobody passes the screen after them. I fear he waited for a gap in pedestrian traffic :(

One thing I've learned from this is to always report suspicious behaviour to the police. I almost had a rant on FB about the women who never reported BH incidents to police, when I suddenly remembered that I had been guilty of the same thing years ago, being menaced by creeps in another city and running away, only to not even THINK of reporting it.

Well done to LE for getting to the bottom of this so quickly. It's a horrendous outcome but at least the family has closure. I think of the poor Morcombes who battled for years and years to find out about their precious boy.

And well done to Tom for holding himself together so well in his public statement today. What an incredible man.

BBM: I respectfully disagree...I find often we at WS are a step ahead of the media reports and much more careful of fact checking. Sorry, I realize reporting is a tough job but...this case is an example of why not to follow media reports, yet it's a conundrum because that is what we rely on. IMO, the media very much suggested that the husband could be involved. ( I formed my own opinion otherwise).
Also, how can one be on this thread and not mention the case?

BBM. Respectfully I disagree. The media were doing their jobs, yes they reported that forensics were at the house (because they were) they reported that they left with brown paper bags (because they did) and they reported when they returned that night (which they did) - a lot of people got hung up on that and didn't read or listen to the next line where police said it was what they always did.

The media also reported that Mr Meagher was not a person of interest, then the police said it at press conferences and in stories - that didn't stop people from making accusations. Even to the point of saying "I don't care what the police said, they are trying to put us off" and such ...

The different media mediums do offer different approaches. Print does the whole story, TV tends to sensationalize with "that" footage and radio, more often than not, offers the presenters own opinion but welcomes callers to debate that.

When I said follow the media I meant from now on - you will notice there are blurred photos in MSM, so it would be wise not to post photos, history won't be discussed (this bit confuses me because it will not be going before the court and that is what sub judice (Latin for 'under judgment') means)

I guess having worked for years with those laws - knowing the ramifications (even witnessing court cases from very experienced journalists/presenters for contempt) I get scared. That is why I said "follow the media" I always wanted to cover the court cases not be the subject in the court room for contempt lol

Add to all that social media that comes with no laws, with no training and I just don't want the responsibility for being the first case in this medium.

This morning, a very experienced journo and friend of mine posted a link to a blog that he should have - when I read it I couldn't believe he had done that (and I would hate to be him around about now)

No one wants this system to fail society like so many failures before.

I'm scared, bordering on paranoid when it comes to all this - maybe because in radio I had little control - put a caller on air and you are facing a risk of contempt for allowing it (like I could read minds)

.... what you said about thorough checking of sleuthers and being ahead of the media - I totally agree with - I have never seen such excellent researching and fact finding as people on here, but Websleuths is only one site, we've all seen others that are not quite the same ;)

BBM: I respectfully disagree...I find often we at WS are a step ahead of the media reports and much more careful of fact checking. Sorry, I realize reporting is a tough job but...this case is an example of why not to follow media reports, yet it's a conundrum because that is what we rely on. IMO, the media very much suggested that the husband could be involved. ( I formed my own opinion otherwise).
Also, how can one be on this thread and not mention the case?

Good post

Have to disagree that WS is ahead of the media though. The Authorities and media are closely intertwined and use each other for various reasons in investigations such as this particular one and the Baden Clay case.

Without the media in both cases, none of us had any idea what had happened. In Jill’s case, people took to the airways to find her and spread what they could about potential POIs, all through the media.

In the GBC case, there are probably 100,000 posts + on the GBC case here, and I can bet you the media know much more than we do. Heck, none of us know what happened and we wont until the court case, it was all amateur sleuthing. And that’s exactly what the purpose of this site is.

Certainly we are ahead of some media reports, but I know that nearly all information re: both cases that came through WS, was Police > Media > WS.

Our intuition may be stronger but they have much more fact than we’ll ever get first hand.

Tom Meagher and the family have shown a lot of dignity yesterday and today. Typical Irish. xx

From homepage - www.medscape.com

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/586254_3
(not sure if you will be able to view full article via Medscape as it requires password but you can go to homepage to search info on topic)

article citation: Am J Public Health. 2008;98(12):2185-2187. © 2008 American Public Health Association
For information only - steroid use and violence.

Anabolic-Androgenic Steroid Use by Young Men and Involvement in Violence:
Results
Table 1 provides estimates of the relation between lifetime anabolic-androgenic steroid use and violence. Model 1 shows that males who had used anabolic-androgenic steroids at least once in their life reported greater involvement in violent behavior compared with males who reported never using anabolic-androgenic steroids. This association remained even after we controlled for violence at wave 2 (model 2), polydrug use at wave 3 (model 3), and the combined effect of both measures (model 4).

Table 2 provides estimates of the relation between past-year anabolic-androgenic steroid use and violence. Males who used anabolic-androgenic steroids in the previous year scored significantly higher on the violence scale in comparison with males who had not used anabolic-androgenic steroids in the previous year, after the effects of wave-2 violence (model 2), polydrug use at wave 3 (model 3), and the combined effect of both measures (model 4) were controlled.

References for this report cited 19 other studies on this topic.

Tom Meagher and the family have shown a lot of dignity yesterday and today. Typical Irish. xx
http://www.skynews.com.au/topstories/article.aspx?id=799879
Meagher's accused killer faces court

Here is a link to Tom Meagher's comments on the steps of the Court today. It also shows recovery of Jill's body from the isolated bush grave. Both Jill's husband and her brother show dignity and restraint. They were there for her today. I imagine she would be proud of them. My opinion only.

Poor things would still be shell shocked, hard for those who never knew her to take in, let alone nearest and dearest. When someone is so young and vibrant and then suddenly gone.

I think the problem re social media would not be us! Just put the creeps name in facebook search. I must say I am appalled with the groups being created.

I am taking a mental break from the case. I can't even watch the tribute videos,I think it would be too heart breaking.
See some of you guys back at ABC's place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum