GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also...please stop & think for a minute why you are all here.

A loving family has lost their beautiful daughter in a horrendous crime & some of you want to continue on with childish argy bargy...that is so sad!!

:bump::goodpost:
Grasping for straws to point out small differences of opinions will be the demise of this thread

:moo:

From homepage - www.medscape.com

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/586254_3
(not sure if you will be able to view full article via Medscape as it requires password but you can go to homepage to search info on topic)

article citation: Am J Public Health. 2008;98(12):2185-2187. © 2008 American Public Health Association
For information only - steroid use and violence.

Anabolic-Androgenic Steroid Use by Young Men and Involvement in Violence:
Results
Table 1 provides estimates of the relation between lifetime anabolic-androgenic steroid use and violence. Model 1 shows that males who had used anabolic-androgenic steroids at least once in their life reported greater involvement in violent behavior compared with males who reported never using anabolic-androgenic steroids. This association remained even after we controlled for violence at wave 2 (model 2), polydrug use at wave 3 (model 3), and the combined effect of both measures (model 4).

Table 2 provides estimates of the relation between past-year anabolic-androgenic steroid use and violence. Males who used anabolic-androgenic steroids in the previous year scored significantly higher on the violence scale in comparison with males who had not used anabolic-androgenic steroids in the previous year, after the effects of wave-2 violence (model 2), polydrug use at wave 3 (model 3), and the combined effect of both measures (model 4) were controlled.

References for this report cited 19 other studies on this topic.

Has it been stated in msm that he did use steroids?
My husband and nephew are into gym and are a lot bigger than him without using steroids....

he doesnt deserve a fair trial

Maybe not - but the way our justice system works is that if he can't get a fair trial then he walks free.

That would be a disaster and the LE have been very clear how much they think would jeopardise the trial.

Wonder if he is in solitary confinement or general population?

Why give him protection when innocent taxpayers are not protected?

Please refrain from posting newspaper clippings. If you have information from MSM please post the link to it.

Hey Guys - Listen UP!

Posters are NOT allowed to tell other posters what or how to post. That is the mod job. WS follows the legal rules of the US and WS's TOS and case specific rules.

You may NOT post articles, social media or other information unless you are 100% SURE that the info relates to the suspect.

At this point in time, Law Enforcement has said that this particular suspect does NOT have a criminal history. The articles being posted may not be of this same suspect, and given the dates, unless Australia is very lax, I would think the perp in the article is still behind bars?

Do NOT post info, unless you are 100% sure it is the suspect under discussion.

Thanks,

Salem

Same rule in English law and have always found it hard to understand. OK, it may make it fairer for accused as jury have to decide only on current offence, but so often priors go to show context of current offence, if you know what I'm trying to say and not explaining well :)

Judge will know for sentencing but that doesn't help if found not guilty.

In US law, I think priors are only admissible if they can show a pattern, or if the accused chooses to testify (as they are putting their character and truthfulness into testimony). Not sure if it is the same in Oz.

The only "fair" left to be done is for this guy to confess and plead guilty. I do think there may be a problem getting a jury who has not made up their minds in such a case with so much publicity and surely, most everyone knows he led police to her (buried) body.

Wonder if he is in solitary confinement or general population?

I'm sure I read somewhere that offenders who commit crimes against women and children are considered low life (s) who are unfortunately afforded protection. I think high profile criminals aren't overly popular either.

Remember the 'Mornington Monster' John Sharp? I don't believe he mixes with the general population to this day.

I think children and women still need to be taught and reminded to trust their instincts.

As a little girl growing up in Queensland in the 60s, there were a couple of cases that really hit home with families - they certainly made my parents drill the "no talking to strangers" bit with me. A couple of tiny girls in Cairns went missing on their way to school, plus another young teen disappeared in Mackay. I remember us all watching the news fearfully every night. One day I was sitting on the back step of a cafe my parents owned, when a fellow parked his car nearby and commented that I must have been hot sitting there, and why didn't I come and sit in the shade by his car. I politely said no thanks and went inside and told my parents. In that short space of time the car disappeared. Police were called and I remember describing the man and his car, and nothing further happened to my knowledge.

As an adult I have imagined that this could have indeed been something quite sinister that I avoided - I could see no other reason for a strange man to have tried to lure me closer like that.
THANK GOD YOU DIDNT TAKE HIM UP ON THE OFFER. I remember that Qld went through a dangereous time for a while in the 70's and my mother tells me that SA also had their creepy decade in the 60's. Australia is still deemed to be a safe country, although that is starting to change over time. You certainly dont see random kids playing outsde till dusk like in my day (80s) showin my age again :blushing:

I will be hoping he pleads guilty and trial is by judge alone.

I understand how people can be prejudiced by what they hear, see in social media etc...

But if the evidence is undeniable then it won't matter.

I think the problems is all the hatred and linch mobbing behaviour....sometimes directed at the wrong person.

... the most important no-go areas in cases that may be heard before a jury are:

- Commentary on the guilt or the innocence of the accused
- Details of prior criminal convictions or charges
- The publication of photos of the accused.

“The prudent view is that from the moment of arrest people are under the protection of the courts,” Polden told Crikey. “When a matter is sub judice [under judgement] you should limit yourself to objective facts of what has occurred.” Expressions of grief and anger — as well as debate about issues raised by a case (such as public safety) — are also acceptable.

The publication of photos of the accused is problematic because they could influence witnesses in their identification.

http://www.crikey.com.au/2012/09/28/jill-meagher-case-bolt-twitter-users-warned-on-comment/

The police aren't telling the truth.

Unless there are multiple criminals committing the same type of crimes with the exact same name, including the strange middle name.

they also said hes the only suspect, which i dont believe for a second

Theres a lot more to come of this and i expect more arrests in the next couple of days

What if there is an photo of an article from a paper and said article isn't on the internet?

It's another article to do with Bayley's past.

Not allowed. It needs to be linkable - otherwise it is a copyright issue. Also - it needs to be dated. That last article was old, although the date wasn't on it, it was pretty obvious it did NOT relate to this case.

LE has said that this guy does not have a criminal history - so it has to be shown by a reliable source, that there is information about THIS suspect's history. We don't want just anyone's history - we want THIS one's history.

Does that help?

Salem

The only "fair" left to be done is for this guy to confess and plead guilty. I do think there may be a problem getting a jury who has not made up their minds in such a case with so much publicity and surely, most everyone knows he led police to her (buried) body.
Quite a surprising number of people rarely ever follow the news and are basically unaware of such happenings. They may see or read something in passing here and there, but give it little thought afterwards.

Where I live we still can't get the super dooper internet and most people I come across have little interest in spending their lives perched behind a computer following the news and social media. Let alone spend time watching the tv.

Not allowed. It needs to be linkable - otherwise it is a copyright issue. Also - it needs to be dated. That last article was old, although the date wasn't on it, it was pretty obvious it did NOT relate to this case.

LE has said that this guy does not have a criminal history - so it has to be shown by a reliable source, that there is information about THIS suspect's history. We don't want just anyone's history - we want THIS one's history.

Does that help?

Salem

are you referring to the article i posted that clearly stats the name Adrian Ernest Bayley

Unless there are multiple criminals committing the same type of crimes with the exact same name, including the strange middle name.

We don't know that. There was a recent case, here in the US, where this very issue came up. We need a RELIABLE source to tell us this is one and the same person. Right now, we don't have that and until we do, it cannot be posted or discussed here.

Hope that helps - I know it can be frustrating at times, but, it is also what makes us good sleuths :)

Salem

Maybe that is because during a trial past crimes cannot be brought up. Not until after the court process finishes. Would be difficult for jury if all this is talked about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aggie_C