GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it still okay to link to MSM? He has appeared in court, but there's not much to report. He will reappear in court for a committal mention on January 18.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8539830/man-charged-with-meaghers-murder

News sites here are now showing the blurred photo from the alleged killer's deleted FB page.

Why does this happen? What does "committal mention" involve? And does he just sit in a jail cell until this date? What happens in between now and January 18? That is so far away :(
Apologies for all the questions.

Well, I wont be posting anymore on this case. RIP Jill and congrats Victorian Police for getting him before the courts (again) sorry, couldn't help it.

Good idea. I won't be posting much in this thread either other than if it's something very generalised.

I'd hate to think I've said something which would be seen as being prejudicial and thus contribute against him getting a fair trial where it ends up him getting a lighter sentence because of it.

Why does this happen? What does "committal mention" involve? And does he just sit in a jail cell until this date? What happens in between now and January 18? That is so far away :(

Yes, he will wait in jail. He has been refused bail due to the seriousness of the charges against him.

At the committal mention he will have to enter a plea and the provide the names of any witnesses they intend to call.

I would like to thank the tireless hard working men and women of the Victoria Police. Melbourne has had an interesting past with gangland and mass murders and so on. The Victorian Police have always been there and have always worked incredibly hard to protect all Victorians. I am from Melbourne originally and am glad that our police are so diligent and professional.

To Tom and the rest of the Meagher family, my prayers are with you at this time. May your grief be short and loving memories long.

RIP Jill Meagher

I was just discussing this with a friend:

(from a website)
Committal Mention
The defendant must state whether they will plead guilty or not guilty at this hearing. He or she must also state which witnesses they wish to call at the committal hearing for cross examination, and in broad terms the type of questions the witness will be asked.

It is so far away because a police brief needs to be formed and then served on the defence, this usually takes about 6 weeks (so say mid november). The defence then need to process it and form a plan of action. January is about right in terms of procedure.

I was so moved to read this:

Mr (Tom) Meagher and Ms Meagher's brother Michael McKeon held hands in court as Jill’s accused killer appeared briefly in court.

(source MSM)

My view is that it is now up to the courts to acquit or convict on the basis of the evidence presented to them. But I don't think our discussion about the horror of the loss of a young woman full of hopes and dreams would preclude this. The whole of the nation has been shocked to its foundations by this case. Talking it through is an important part of the healing process. As is learning some lessons - to ensure that this young woman did not die in vain & also to ensure it does not happen again!

I was just discussing this with a friend:

(from a website)
Committal Mention
The defendant must state whether they will plead guilty or not guilty at this hearing. He or she must also state which witnesses they wish to call at the committal hearing for cross examination, and in broad terms the type of questions the witness will be asked.

It is so far away because a police brief needs to be formed and then served on the defence, this usually takes about 6 weeks (so say mid november). The defence then need to process it and form a plan of action. January is about right in terms of procedure.

I understand, thanks. It probably seems so much further away to me because I'm due early Jan. But at least he has to sit in a jail cell until then and is not going anywhere.

This article seems to give a very specific outline. A snippet:

Media law experts have also warned that social media users — even though they have no training in media law — could also be sued for defamation or contempt of court over comments about the case posted on blogs, Facebook or Twitter.

Since the arrest of a 41-year old man overnight, several Facebook groups have been created attacking the accused killer — including one calling for his public hanging. Photos of the accused man have been published, as have comments assuming he is guilty of the crime. Highly-read conservative News Ltd commentator Andrew Bolt this morning posted a link to a blog containing information about the accused man’s background.

Mark Polden, one of Australia’s foremost media law experts, says such commentary has potentially dire consequences for the administration of justice and should be avoided.

“It’s not unfathomable that there could be such a conflagration, such a firestorm of social media commentary about a particular case that an application could be made that an individual cannot get a fair trial,” he said. ”Individuals need to ask themselves: does what I’m doing have the potential to interfere with a fair trial? Could my sense of moral outrage lead to someone not being able to get a fair hearing?”

According to Polden, the most important no-go areas in cases that may be heard before a jury are:

Commentary on the guilt or the innocence of the accused
Details of prior criminal convictions or charges
The publication of photos of the accused.
“The prudent view is that from the moment of arrest people are under the protection of the courts,” Polden told Crikey. “When a matter is sub judice [under judgement] you should limit yourself to objective facts of what has occurred.” Expressions of grief and anger — as well as debate about issues raised by a case (such as public safety) — are also acceptable.

The publication of photos of the accused is problematic because they could influence witnesses in their identification.

Polden says it is unlikely an individual Twitter or Facebook user with no public profile would be pursued over contempt of court or interfering with the administration of justice — particularly if the content is quickly removed by the social networking sites. The key question is whether the material would interfere with the case as a “matter of practical reality” rather than as a “remote possibility”.
http://www.crikey.com.au/2012/09/28/jill-meagher-case-bolt-twitter-users-warned-on-comment/

Mr (Tom) Meagher and Ms Meagher's brother Michael McKeon held hands in court as the Jill’s accused killer appeared briefly in court.

(source MSM)

As was I! It is good to know that in such times of this tragedy, they are clearly there for eachother. Family.

Mr (Tom) Meagher and Ms Meagher's brother Michael McKeon held hands in court as Jill’s accused killer appeared briefly in court.

(source MSM)
Me too. Their love for a wonderful woman has united them and they're supporting each other quietly, yet powerfully.

i thought there would have been more information from media outlets after this mornings hearing.... An outline of the charge, date, time, location.
Has there been a suppression ?

So terribly sad. I too had some doubts. Like most on WS, I tried to look objectively at the evidence that was in front of us. Thankfully that evidence grew quickly - thanks in big part to the woman from the bridal dress store and of course Vic Police.

I know my views were tainted by Gerard Baden Clay. I was probably one of the last to believe he could have hurt Allison and I continued to give him the benefit of the doubt - I did not want to believe he could betray and openly lie to so many people including his own children. As a direct result I know I was more suspicious than I would have been this time.

I'll bet Jill was a trusting soul too.

I hope the knowledge that so many people care and are shedding tears for dear Jill, offers a tiny bit of comfort for her heartbroken husband, family and friends today and for the long road ahead.

I was same with Gerard Baden-Clay. I hoped he was innocent right up to and even after his arrest. It was because I wanted those children to have a parent. I couldn't imagine how someone could potentially murder the mother of his gorgeous children. But for some reason, despite this, I never for one moment believed TM had any involvement in the disappearance of Jill.

IMO

This presents a dilemma for me...

where does that place us as websleuthers?

do we continue to follow the case...

Or are we being asked by the police to cease? :waitasec:

You can talk about things in a general way. Just don't refer to this case or Bayley.

So you can talk about the death penalty, or serial rapists or penalties but not mention this case.

Easiest way to understand it is to follow what the media does, you will see them skirt around everything.

I am paranoid because this was my job - I never took chances.

For those feeling guilty for thinking/posting that the husband may have been involved...it was greatly perpetuated by the early media reports. In the beginning , IMO, the way the headlines were reporting details on searches of his place and supposed evidence removed in brown bags etc. it was only fueling the speculation. I think the media insinuated that he very much could have done it!
I did not ever feel the husband had anything to do with it, but if my hunch had been otherwise the media reporting in the beginning would have supported it.
Don't feel bad...our hunch can't always be the right. Even the police investigated it...you don't think any one of them has ever had the wrong hunch? It happens and in my opinion, it is quite forgivable.

You can talk about things in a general way. Just don't refer to this case or Bayley.

So you can talk about the death penalty, or serial rapists or penalties but not mention this case.

Easiest way to understand it is to follow what the media does, you will see them skirt around everything.

I am paranoid because this was my job - I never took chances.

BBM: I respectfully disagree...I find often we at WS are a step ahead of the media reports and much more careful of fact checking. Sorry, I realize reporting is a tough job but...this case is an example of why not to follow media reports, yet it's a conundrum because that is what we rely on. IMO, the media very much suggested that the husband could be involved. ( I formed my own opinion otherwise).
Also, how can one be on this thread and not mention the case?

this new update is disturbing

Coburg neighbour Dale Trotter said he saw at least two cars pull up outside the Coburg house where Bayley lives at about 2am on Saturday morning.

"I saw some cars rock up. I didn't suspect anything of it," Mr Trotter said

Two cars pull up out the front of the suspects house just 15 minutes or so after the CCTV footage?

Either he already had her there and he had called a mate or two to come join in, or that was him and an accomplice arriving back a the house with her.

Scary stuff. A lot more is going to come out of this, and its not going to be easy reading.

Just remembered something on news cross this morning from outside court - info about arrest - an informant was mentioned.

this new update is disturbing

Either he already had her there and he had called a mate or two to come join in, or that was him and an accomplice arriving back a the house with her.

Scary stuff. A lot more is going to come out of this, and its not going to be easy reading.

Yes, I fear so. May explain the reaction of hardened reporters last night at off record briefing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akoyaqueen