GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to know that it is the same person. I hear your frustration and it is not my intent to add to that. Perhaps a main stream media source will link it up today? If he has such a history, wouldn't your media print that? Why are they not sharing that information?

Salem

Because things get suppressed and they don't want people in a jury having any idea of the history of the suspect.

For example, one of the major TV networks a few minutes ago:

m4Yg2.png

I can basically guarantee there are many people in the media desperate to write about his past, but they're not supposed to.

I would be amazed if the media link or speak about this history in the near future.

Just thought it'd be interesting for those on here.

I've just read a Tweet from Nine News Brisbane who have stated that the report they will air tonight can not be viewed in Victoria.
That's happened before and I think Victoria too... where the rest of the country gets to hear stuff in the news about a crime or a criminal except in the state where the offence was committed.

Very strange way of going about things.

I guess there'll be no shortage of clips uploaded to youtube, though.

So, as a Victorian, I shouldn't be reading any posts people in other states are making, in case I get called for jury duty?

That's happened before and I think Victoria too... where the rest of the country gets to hear stuff in the news about a crime or a criminal except in the state where the offence was committed.

Or that TV drama about a crime in Sydney that could be shown everywhere in the country but NSW? What was that called?

Most stations are having one hour bulletins tonight - most live from Gisborne. Very macabre.

Yes - this did happen before, iirc... it was the case where the guy killed a family with a machete, right? I can't recall the name at the moment, but I remember the case well.

Salem

I guess there'll be no shortage of clips uploaded to youtube, though.

So, as a Victorian, I shouldn't be reading any posts people in other states are making, in case I get called for jury duty?

If you were called for jury duty, you shouldn't research the details of anything surrounding the case (once you are called and during case).

What you read until then is your own business, but anyone posting on a website or any publication that can be read in Vic could/would be in contempt.

2GB radio sydney www.2gb.com Ben Fordham just said that Nine News also will have details of accused's past, which cannot be broadcast in Victoria.

From memory it was the Tony Mokbel case.

Or that TV drama about a crime in Sydney that could be shown everywhere in the country but NSW? What was that called?
Underbelly.

Edit: Wasn't it that the show was about Melbourne crime and couldn't be shown in Victoria?

Underbelly?

Where the book had been released and the TV drama was on in every state except Victoria because the trial of those involved just happened to be taking place.

Highly unsuccessful suppression of the TV show with it becoming one of the hottest torrent downloads.

If you were called for jury duty, you shouldn't research the details of anything surrounding the case (once you are called and during case).

What you read until then is your own business, but anyone posting on a website or any publication that can be read in Vic could/would be in contempt.

I do believe I shall keep reading and posting until (if ever) that happens. Then I'll disqualify myself by explaining I've been on here....

Underbelly.

Edit: Wasn't it that the show was about Melbourne crime and couldn't be shown in Victoria?

Yes Underbelly wasnt shown in Vic or the books/dvd werent available there either

You gotta admire those radio and tv waves that stop dead at the border around Victoria, don't you? ;) And that pesky interweb thingy that allows people to watch TV from interstate. Sheesh - that's about as silly as those court-ordered suppressions of names that only apply to one state. Yet the name is all over the internet!

I think that in some regards, the law needs to be brought up to 21st century realities. Not law enforcement - they're already well up there. I have the highest regard for the police savvy on those things. In fact, we have one of the best computer fraud squads in the country here in Brisbane, headed by the redoubtable Brian Hay - if you ever see him on TV, listen to every word - the man is a genius!

But the legal system of the courts etc is still stuck in the dark ages, I think.

Parts of Underbelly were shown in Vic and they blurred out Mokbel's face.

Other episodes weren't aired at all.

Salem, can I PM you the article and you can decide whether to post it or not?

As I said, I would be surprised if the media go deep into his past anytime soon and this is info that I think people on here will want to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CosDog