GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether she is silly, or stupid, or an unfortunate habitual victim, she will have to find the rent for the granny flat in Coburg on her own now!.

<modsnip>
Also when you are trapped in a domestic violence cycle, suspecting vs knowing is one of the complications which often prevents one from breaking away. She may have her own emotional or dependency issues, be without support and not have education skills to find out exactly what sort of person she is tangled up with.

We just don't know, so shouldn't judge.

Whether she is silly, or stupid, or an unfortunate habitual victim, she will have to find the rent for the granny flat in Coburg on her own now!.

And potentially deal with a lot of other unsolicited fallout, like people who don't know her situation judging her. She may also be a victim here.

Mods, please feel free to snip reference to names, addresses of Minister if not allowed on this website. I have just emailed this to him and address/email here if others need it. Link to website is provided if anyone wants to look more in depth at our Victorian Portfolio Ministers. Thank you.
Snipped:
Is that your own personal letter?

I didn't realise that we 'registered' for jury duty I thought it was just luck if you got chosen

I was also under the impression that jury pool selection is from electoral roll, didn't know you had to specifically register? Know people who have been called for jury duty simply from electoral roll and haven't specifically registered; young people who were not aware of their civic responsibilities. Maybe something our schools should teach?

I was under the impression that jury pool selection is from electoral roll, didn't know you had to specifically register?

http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lawlink/local_courts/ll_localcourts.nsf/vwFiles/Jury_Summons_Brochures.pdf/$file/Jury_Summons_Brochures.pdf

this is now the case in NSW, in times past one had to register as available , I checked it up for current procedure, so my apologies for relying on past experience there, but now you make a submission to the court should you be called up to explain your unavailibility or any other circumstance that inhibits doing jury duty, how it works in other states I dont know, probably the same.

There has been a bit of argy bargy regarding the age of jurors, that is, 18yr olds on juries, etc.. ( being on the electoral role at 18) .. a tendency to challenge 18yr old potential jurors, 18-25, actually, but this is an ongoing discussion, as it stands currently, you can be called up at that age, but you most likely will be challenged, simply on that basis. There is talk , and has been a lot of talk, re narrowing down the Summons to Jury Duty act to bring it up to a higher age bracket, even though one is on the electoral role at that age, it goes back and forth all across the Jurisprudence year, round and round , up and down, and as it stands, the matter is usually resolved by the parties concerned re challenges to that particular juror , on the age basis.

Still. It was heartening to see the current jury pool marching down Sydney road, making a sort of silent statement that was , as I say, impressive to the maximum.

That march down Sydney Road was impressive.. hopefully. that was a cross section of the jury pool. There has to be some among that crowd who have registered themselves for jury duty, its something we all forget to do, or hesitate to do, or hope someone else does, but we all are it, frankly. I'd lived in my present abode in Sydney for years before I suddenly realised I hadnt registered for jury duty, it just never crossed my mind, until I attended a trial, and realised that it was made up of you and me's, and no one else.

You never appeared on an electoral roll? That was automatic when I was 18 and that is where the pool is selected from.

http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lawlink/local_courts/ll_localcourts.nsf/vwFiles/Jury_Summons_Brochures.pdf/$file/Jury_Summons_Brochures.pdf

this is now the case in NSW, in times past one had to register as available , I checked it up for current procedure, so my apologies for relying on past experience there, but now you make a submission to the court should you be called up to explain your unavailibility or any other circumstance that inhibits doing jury duty, how it works in other states I dont know, probably the same.

There has been a bit of argy bargy regarding the age of jurors, that is, 18yr olds on juries, etc.. ( being on the electoral role at 18) .. a tendency to challenge 18yr old potential jurors, 18-25, actually, but this is an ongoing discussion, as it stands currently, you can be called up at that age, but you most likely will be challenged, simply on that basis. There is talk , and has been a lot of talk, re narrowing down the Summons to Jury Duty act to bring it up to a higher age bracket, even though one is on the electoral role at that age, it goes back and forth all across the Jurisprudence year, round and round , up and down, and as it stands, the matter is usually resolved by the parties concerned re challenges to that particular juror , on the age basis.

Still. It was heartening to see the current jury pool marching down Sydney road, making a sort of silent statement that was , as I say, impressive to the maximum.

if you're on the Electoral roll in Victoria then you can be called for Jury duty.

Juries are supposed to be made up of a broad cross section of society, 18-25 yr olds are part of that cross section.

Maybe someone with Aust criminal legal system verification could clarify, but I would have thought that having participated in a march like yesterday's may possibly be a defence counsel basis for preclusion from jury selection? Irrespective of the potential juror's avowed ability to look at the evidence impartially, a defence counsel may be able to say that the potential juror already had preconceived ideas? My thoughts only.

I think you've raised a very valid point. Participating in the march could easily be seen as being prejudiced against the accused.

Well. it if was a red flag for a potential juror, surely Ken Lay would have pointed this out? no hesitation in calling for silence on blogs etc... what's the difference? there is no difference.. its the same outcome. People get together, either electronically or in actual time and space, doing the same thing. One is ok, one is not. NO lawyers complained about the march, no judges, not the Mayor of Brunswick, the Premier of Victoria, not a peep re 'disabling ' a potential juror. Yet there they were for all to see right across the state, ( further jury pool ) the nation and world wide apparently.

<modsnip>
Trooper I think what Lay was saying, was simply that for the first time in his career, the level of disgust and mood of the public overcame the usual apathy, and that perhaps the public action taken indicates a growing desire and willingness to stand up and show as a group what we will not tolerate in our society. There's not much Lay can do to change The System - that takes 'people power' and we saw that yesterday. The pollies MUST now take notice.

Maybe someone with Aust criminal legal system verification could clarify, but I would have thought that having participated in a march like yesterday's may possibly be a defence counsel basis for preclusion from jury selection? Irrespective of the potential juror's avowed ability to look at the evidence impartially, a defence counsel may be able to say that the potential juror had preconceived ideas? My thoughts only.

This is from the Victorian Government, it is a mock trial - kinda fun to watch.

http://www.courts.vic.gov.au/resources/video-guides/jury-service-video-standing-aside

Well. it if was a red flag for a potential juror, surely Ken Lay would have pointed this out? no hesitation in calling for silence on blogs etc... what's the difference? there is no difference.. its the same outcome. People get together, either electronically or in actual time and space, doing the same thing. One is ok, one is not. NO lawyers complained about the march, no judges, not the Mayor of Brunswick, the Premier of Victoria, not a peep re 'disabling ' a potential juror. Yet there they were for all to see right across the state, ( further jury pool ) the nation and world wide apparently.

IMO the whole thing about the size of the march is that it's a representation of the thoughts of many other people who couldn't or didn't go. A graphic represntation of the undercurrent among Freda and Fred Bloggs who seem to have had enough of the violence. I reckon Victoria's got plenty of people to choose a jury from and all the questions about any particular ideals or morals that may prevent an impartial decision will be made at jury selection. MOO

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...an-ernest-bayley/story-e6frg6n6-1226485743514

'Mr Lay said while social media had been very helpful during the investigation, it also posed difficulties.

"It is disappointing and when you see the hatred that's incited by some of these sites,'' he said. "It is very much the antithesis of what we saw yesterday with 30,000 people taking to the streets saying 'let's try and make this a safer and fairer community''

Trooper, I'm just catching up, so sorry if this has been covered.

I have been on jury service several times - once for a murder. You certainly don't need to be registered - all details come from the electrol roll. Defence and prosecuting lawyers can both challenge and no reasons are given. I was challenged on the murder trial, but got let through on the second round.

Judges once were lenient to women and let them off jury service, but that changed years ago. You have to be nearly dead now for a judge to let you off jury service.

On the trial I was on, one juror apparently knew of previous murder attempts, but could not say anything to the rest of us. Not that it mattered because we found the bloke guilty of murder anyway. And most jurors knew of the murder which occurred a year previously - we had to take an oath.

I have been a juror on a few trials. Believe me, we are normal people from various walks of life and took our role very seriously, followed the Judges instructions and made decisions based on evidence presented and instructions from the judge.

On the murder trial, it was anticipated that we could easily make a quick decision due to his obvious guilt. However we went through every thing in details to ensure we were fair to all parties.

Being on a jury for a murder trial is not an easy thing to experience.

In my view, the alleged perp's partner is a victim in this too!

IMO the whole thing about the size of the march is that it's a representation of the thoughts of many other people who couldn't or didn't go. A graphic represntation of the undercurrent among Freda and Fred Bloggs who seem to have had enough of the violence. I reckon Victoria's got plenty of people to choose a jury from and all the questions about any particular ideals or morals that may prevent an impartial decision will be made at jury selection. MOO

His defence will have the option of asking that the trial be held in a different jurisdiction (not Victoria) if it is perceived that public feeling is so high as to jeopardise a fair trial. From memory this happened with Bradley John Murdoch, trial for murder of Peter Falconio. The trial was eventually held in Darwin.
http://www.nt.gov.au/justice/dpp/docs/cases/falconio/falconio_mt_031113.pdf
13 November 2003
The Territory is about to face a media block out should the case for the extradition of the man wanted for the suspected murder of Peter Falconio prove successful in the Adelaide Magistrates Court this morning. Lawyers of Forty- five year old Bradley John Murdoch, will oppose the extradition by challenging the validity of the warrant, which alleges Murdoch murdered Falconio and lawfully detained his girlfriend Joanna Lees, back in July of 2001. Detectives from the Northern Territory have flown to Adelaide for the hearing, they expect to return to Darwin tomorrow with Murdoch in their custody. Now interstate papers have already been restricted into the Territory and what you will hear from now on will be severely curtailed due to strict contempt laws in place to protect the right to a fair trial and the impartial hearing and also to maintain the authority of the courts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member