GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Jill Meagher's husband calls her killer's sentence 'a disgrace'

After the sentencing of the man who raped and murdered Jill Meagher, her husband Tom has sat down for the first time to discuss the loss of his wife, his thoughts about the justice system, and what he thinks of the sentence imposed.

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2013/s3785409.htm

LOUISE MILLIGAN: How did you feel when you found out that he had served two previous prison sentences for sexual assaults, multiple sexual assaults, threats to kill, abductions, the whole thing and for the last sentence he served less than half of the maximum penalty for 16 counts and five victims?

TOM MEAGHER: Um, I feel furious and I'm still furious. Whenever I hear anybody say it, whenever I read it, I just - my blood boils, 'cause it's, ah - it sends a disturbing message. This man is unrepentantly evil. He's been let off too many times by our justice system and he's - he's just - he's obviously a complete menace. And it sends out a really dangerous message to society, I think, if you do this. I mean, I'm aware that his previous victims in the previous case before Jill were sex workers and I'll never be convinced that that had nothing to do with the leniency of his sentence, which as I said, send as very disturbing message. 'Cause if we say - what it says to women is, you know, "Be careful what you do, 'cause if we don't like what you do, you won't get justice." And then what it says to people like Bayley is not, "Don't rape", but, "Be careful who you rape."

Oh ain't that the TRUTH!! If his previous victims had not been sex workers he would have got longer, we know it. What does this say, that these women's pain, anguish, humiliation, injuries were any less because they were sex workers? Is that what judges really think? If you're a rapist, we have seen this attitude time and time again in the past, I thought we had grown up as a society, but have we? This prejudice let a brutal rapist out way to soon so he could victimise more women. Tears me apart. He is a brutal rapist, I can not even post here what he did to these women, it is truly that bad.

LOUISE MILLIGAN: How did you feel when you found out that he had served two previous prison sentences for sexual assaults, multiple sexual assaults, threats to kill, abductions, the whole thing and for the last sentence he served less than half of the maximum penalty for 16 counts and five victims?

TOM MEAGHER: Um, I feel furious and I'm still furious. Whenever I hear anybody say it, whenever I read it, I just - my blood boils, 'cause it's, ah - it sends a disturbing message. This man is unrepentantly evil. He's been let off too many times by our justice system and he's - he's just - he's obviously a complete menace. And it sends out a really dangerous message to society, I think, if you do this. I mean, I'm aware that his previous victims in the previous case before Jill were sex workers and I'll never be convinced that that had nothing to do with the leniency of his sentence, which as I said, send as very disturbing message. 'Cause if we say - what it says to women is, you know, "Be careful what you do, 'cause if we don't like what you do, you won't get justice." And then what it says to people like Bayley is not, "Don't rape", but, "Be careful who you rape."

Oh ain't that the TRUTH!! If his previous victims had not been sex workers he would have got longer, we know it. What does this say, that these women's pain, anguish, humiliation, injuries were any less because they were sex workers? Is that what judges really think? If you're a rapist, we have seen this attitude time and time again in the past, I thought we had grown up as a society, but have we? This prejudice let a brutal rapist out way to soon so he could victimise more women. Tears me apart. He is a brutal rapist, I can not even post here what he did to these women, it is truly that bad.

was it discussed on the program what he did to those sex workers? This is just the most irreversibly sad/frustrating/preventable situations, it's insane.

was it discussed on the program what he did to those sex workers? This is just the most irreversibly sad/frustrating/preventable situations, it's insane.

No they didn't there are many details that haven't been released, but they suffered life long injuries, he is a brutal rapist, beyond the norm. Nothing anyone would allow by consent.

No they didn't there are many details that haven't been released, but they suffered life long injuries, he is a brutal rapist, beyond the norm. Nothing anyone would allow by consent.

do you think they will be released? do work in the system to know these further awful details?

Jill Meagher's husband calls her killer's sentence 'a disgrace'

After the sentencing of the man who raped and murdered Jill Meagher, her husband Tom has sat down for the first time to discuss the loss of his wife, his thoughts about the justice system, and what he thinks of the sentence imposed.

I started crying watching this video of Tom speak about the case and particularly about Jill towards the end.

He speaks so well and I could never imagine the unbearable pain and suffering he has endured over the last 9 months. He is so incredibly brave and I have nothing but respect, admiration and compassion for him. Jill was also incredibly brave to fight for her life and I am so sorry she ever encountered the inhumane evil monster that is AEB.

I will never ever forget the days in which she went missing and everything that followed thereafter. 22 September 2012 feels like yesterday and Jill captured the attention and raw emotion of the country, I personally do not know any man or woman that was not personally affected by what happened to her, from sadness, disgust, shock, numbness, to anger... All emotions were covered, we felt so connected to Jill and her family. My sympathies are with her parents and brother too, my heart breaks for them. May she Rest in Peace and know her untimely passing was not in vain. X :(

But it was in 2000 that Bayley proved beyond all doubt how dangerous he was. In five separate attacks on prostitutes, he showed a desire to traumatise them, taunting the helpless women that he could kill them if he felt like it.

His trial for these assaults heard that Bayley told one victim: “I could dump you in the *advertiser censored**ing alley and no one will give a s**t.” He added: “Did that *advertiser censored**ing hurt? See, look who’s got the power. See, I can do whatever I want.”
In April 2002, Bayley was jailed for 11 years.

Trial judge Tony Duckett said the tattooed peroxide beast had a long-term need to attack, sexually assault and humiliate young women whom he did not know.
He added: “In addition to the violence offered, there is another and more disturbing aspect of your conduct — that is the deliberate humiliation of your victims.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...chos-reign-of-evil-on-bail.html#ixzz2Wf1te1je

Got to love the prose in The Sun, but some awful examples of Bayley's behaviour here.

Channel 9 showing a doco on this case soon, was supposed to start at 9:30pm.

do you think they will be released? do work in the system to know these further awful details?

Some details were released, then unreleased, then released again, so there is nothing really new, I think it will all come out now.

He'll be murdered in prison.

One can only hope he suffers the same fate as Carl Williams, to wholly eradicate his existence on earth. I will pray this day is sooner rather than later.

I am not comfortable with the sentencing yet I can see the Judge's justification. Unfortunately in Australia, sentencing protocols are extremely different and in future cases we do need to provide heinous criminals with some type of incentive to plead guilty otherwise it will be cause catastrophic legal predicaments going forward. I am thankful that Justice Nettle made it clear that if AEB followed through with his not guilty plea on the murder charge he would have sentenced him to life without parole.

It is too bad there is no death penalty in Australia (IIRC) because if anyone needs to be obliterated from human society, it is this "man." He should NEVER have been walking the streets.

RIP, Jill. My heart hurts for your suffering & your family's loss.

I started crying watching this video of Tom speak about the case and particularly about Jill towards the end.

He speaks so well and I could never imagine the unbearable pain and suffering he has endured over the last 9 months. He is so incredibly brave and I have nothing but respect, admiration and compassion for him. Jill was also incredibly brave to fight for her life and I am so sorry she ever encountered the inhumane evil monster that is AEB.

I will never ever forget the days in which she went missing and everything that followed thereafter. 22 September 2012 feels like yesterday and Jill captured the attention and raw emotion of the country, I personally do not know any man or woman that was not personally affected by what happened to her, from sadness, disgust, shock, numbness, to anger... All emotions were covered, we felt so connected to Jill and her family. My sympathies are with her parents and brother too, my heart breaks for them. May she Rest in Peace and know her untimely passing was not in vain. X :(

Impossible not to cry, Toms pain is so visible, I feel for him and all of Jills family.

"He'll be in protection from protection," a former guard said.

"If he was released into a general unit, he'd be badly smashed up or killed. They (prisoners) don't tend to take what he's done lightly."

http://m.adelaidenow.com.au/news/na...-risks-in-prison/story-fnitcyla-1226666538121

I hope he lives the rest of his life in fear of who's waiting around the corner for him. I dont necessarily agree with capital punishment, but with what he's done to Jill, I am hoping for him to live in fear and pain. They couldn't protect Carl Williams, and to show these pathetic excuse for men like him what's in store for them at prison, I hope the prisoners get to him.

While I can see exactly where these wishes for an in-prison murder come from, and the wish for vengeance is strong, let me just put a couple of things in perspective:

Bayley can't even APPLY for parole for 35 years. In 35 years, many in here will be long gone - dead and buried (probably including me). Also, in 35 years, the parole system may be quite different from the one we have now. Things DO change over time, especially with public pressure. And 35 years is a long time for the system to adapt to society's wishes.

Even if he applies for parole in 35 years, there is absolutely NO guarantee that he will get it - I suspect that the Parole Board of the future (if there even IS such a thing) will have to take note of Judge Nettle's comments, and the facts surrounding the case including Bayley's previous history of offending while on parole.

So, to be realistic, I suspect that Bayley WILL be spending the rest of his life in jail, and he will be suffering. He will be in constant fear, he will be deprived of the ability to satisfy his urges (I'd like to see him try it on with other prisoners - necessity makes people do things they wouldn't dream of doing in the outside world).

To start with, it will be back to his old prison routine, having been there before. But in previous jail sentences, he hasn't had the notoriety or infamy that he now has. He was a nobody. But now he is a target, a marked man. It may take a year or three or more, but vengeance has a way of getting done (like Carl Williams' case). But even if it doesn't, the fact that Bayley will be suffering, and suffering badly, for a LONG time, should appease those who wish for vengeance.

If he applies for parole in 35 years, and it is refused (as I expect it would be), then he will just have to keep trying. And getting refused. Who knows - the government may even simply create a law, retrospectively, which allows them to classify prisoners as "Never to be released" as they did here in Queensland for Robert Fardon. Bayley may well be the catalyst for such a law in Victoria.

But while the sentence may seem a touch on the light side, just think about the last 35 years of your own life - it is a LONG time. And as I said, just because he may become ELIGIBLE for parole after that, does NOT mean that he will get it. Lessons will have been learned, and the media would be all over it, whatever form the media takes by then.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/541980_371906186216911_1411743775_n.jpg

We are fortunate to live in a democracy where we can voice an opinion on the Parole system and the changes which need to be put in place.
Remember 30,000 people voiced their opinions when they marched down Brunswick street, Melbourne. This case has received international condemnation
about the Parole board allowing someone with that history to walk the streets among law-abiding citizens going about their daily lives.
Social media also allows us to voice an opinion.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/bayley-unrepentantly-evil-says-tom-meagher-20130619-2ojau.html
'THE SYSTEM FAILED JILL'
Jill Meagher's husband, Tom, has described her killer as "unrepentantly evil" and criticised the legal system for failing to keep him out of the community.

While I can see exactly where these wishes for an in-prison murder come from, and the wish for vengeance is strong, let me just put a couple of things in perspective:

Bayley can't even APPLY for parole for 35 years. In 35 years, many in here will be long gone - dead and buried (probably including me). Also, in 35 years, the parole system may be quite different from the one we have now. Things DO change over time, especially with public pressure. And 35 years is a long time for the system to adapt to society's wishes.

Even if he applies for parole in 35 years, there is absolutely NO guarantee that he will get it - I suspect that the Parole Board of the future (if there even IS such a thing) will have to take note of Judge Nettle's comments, and the facts surrounding the case including Bayley's previous history of offending while on parole.

So, to be realistic, I suspect that Bayley WILL be spending the rest of his life in jail, and he will be suffering. He will be in constant fear, he will be deprived of the ability to satisfy his urges (I'd like to see him try it on with other prisoners - necessity makes people do things they wouldn't dream of doing in the outside world).

To start with, it will be back to his old prison routine, having been there before. But in previous jail sentences, he hasn't had the notoriety or infamy that he now has. He was a nobody. But now he is a target, a marked man. It may take a year or three or more, but vengeance has a way of getting done (like Carl Williams' case). But even if it doesn't, the fact that Bayley will be suffering, and suffering badly, for a LONG time, should appease those who wish for vengeance.

If he applies for parole in 35 years, and it is refused (as I expect it would be), then he will just have to keep trying. And getting refused. Who knows - the government may even simply create a law, retrospectively, which allows them to classify prisoners as "Never to be released" as they did here in Queensland for Robert Fardon. Bayley may well be the catalyst for such a law in Victoria.

But while the sentence may seem a touch on the light side, just think about the last 35 years of your own life - it is a LONG time. And as I said, just because he may become ELIGIBLE for parole after that, does NOT mean that he will get it. Lessons will have been learned, and the media would be all over it, whatever form the media takes by then.

So well said DrWatson! I was upset with the sentencing this morning, but as the day wore on I thought about 35 years. You're right, it's a long, long time. The rape sentence should have been longer, but all in all I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.

Hopefully it will avoid an appeal as I have no doubt he'd have appealed a no parole sentence.

Oh dear - here's another one... What would have happened if this courageous man hadn't stopped to intervene? This guy was - you guessed it - out on parole for murder:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/bus-stop-attack-accused-was-on-parole-for-murder-20130620-2ok7r.html

It's starting to sound like a well-worn record, and that the entire parole system should be scrapped, and the key thrown away. If somebody is sentenced to life, or whatever, then they should serve exactly that.

Sex predators on run in country Victoria

There are 35 residents at Corella Place, including child sex offenders and rapists. They have finished their sentences but are considered unacceptable risks to community.

The escape came just hours after Adrian Ernest Bayley was jailed for at least 35 years for the rape and murder of Jill Meagher

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/s...ry-victoria-20130620-2ok7e.html#ixzz2WigTa7K8

Please keep your eyes open and stay safe x

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truth Exposed
Back