GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
While watching the video clip in that link, it made me think of all the women he has attacked and how the media reports could be re-traumatising. I hope that they all have the support they need.

Good point Brightbird & quite a coincidence as I was just about to post the following.

I'm not sure if anyone in Brisbane has been listening to ABC radio's Kelly Higgins-Devine's discussions about victim support. She's posted all the past discussion recordings on her blog. Some of this is absolutely heartbreaking!!

The Book You Hope You Never Have To Read

Over the past few weeks Afternoons presenter Kelly Higgins-Devine has been discussing the impact that homicide has on families, friends and colleagues.

You've heard from people whose loved ones have been murdered, how that has torn their lives and families apart, if forgiveness is possible, treatment by the media, and the failings of the legal system

http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/...ad-.html?site=brisbane&program=612_afternoons

I'll also include the following link to Queensland Homicide Victims’ Support Group (QHVSG).

http://qhvsg.org.au/

Another thing .. I believe that perps seek out sex workers as victims, not just because they are available and easier to take off the street on the spur of the moment, and get into a vulnerable position, but also because if the crime is even reported it may not be investigated as thoroughly, and the eventual sentence will not be as severe.

Why the judges and various govt officials continue to prove them right is beyond me.

I have to agree to with you. I would add that sex workers, and especially street sex workers, are stigmatised and dehumanised throughout our society. I think community attitudes contribute to their physical vulnerability as well any prejudice in the legal system. I realise this is getting off topic. I would like to think that Jill's murder will lead to changes in sentencing that protect more women across all levels of society. But it should never have had to come to this in the first place.

Don't let Australia down, Justice Geoffrey Nettle.

Life. No parole.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/headlines
The Victorian Premier, Mr. Dennis Napthine, has publically acknowledged on Channel 9 news that the Parole Board failed Jill Meagher. I hope that in time the Meagher family will consider legal action to sue the Parole Board of Victoria for they need to be held to account for the decision to parole this violent offender and change their practices to prioritise the safety of women/girls in the community ahead of the rights of the offender to parole IMO.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-11/government-orders-review-of-parole-board/4747254
GOVERNMENT ORDERS REVIEW OF PAROLE BOARD AFTER CONCEDING THE SYSTEM FAILED JILL MEAGHER.
Victorian Premier Denis Napthine has conceded the parole system failed murdered Melbourne woman Jill Meagher and he has ordered a former High Court justice to review the structure of the Victorian Parole Board. Finally!

Thanks just wasn't enough for your post.

The parole board and government are culpable and Jills family should sue them for their stupidity in letting such a dangerous man out.

The parole and justice systems need a huge overhaul, the sooner the better.

Thanks just wasn't enough for your post.
The parole board and government are culpable and Jills family should sue them for their stupidity in letting such a dangerous man out.
The parole and justice systems need a huge overhaul, the sooner the better.

Fully agree aust amateur sleuth. The Parole Board assessment of this predator was horribly misguided with tragic results. What was this predator doing walking our streets? Question now is: how many others like him are walking our streets? Replace the academics with clinicians who have a working knowledge of the personality disorders i.e. sociopaths etc. Place Police on the Parole Board to assess the real risks for the community IMO. There needs to be a policy shift to ensure that offenders rights to parole are secondary to the safety of women/girls in the community. Further Parole Board members need to be held to account for their decisions. We are not talking about offenders who have made a mistake and generally function at a civil level. We are talking character disorders! It is well known that the character disorders are generally resistant to rehabilitation and some, such as sociopaths, do not benefit from the 'talking therapies'. They only learn more 'words' and 'the right things to say' to manipulate professionals with. Their cunning, calculation & manipulative character is always operating in their own best interest. They generally have 'the mask' of motivation to behave in civil society, but they need to seek out more prey to satisfy that deviant drive to gain that feeling of exhilaration. This offender was alleged to have been practicing 'strangulation' on a prostitute months before this attack. He eventually acted this out with tragic results as we have witnessed with the Jill Meagher case.

I am not sure what the point would be in the family suing the parole board if it is the australian taxpayer who will pay any compensation. What would the family spend the compensation on and why would they spend the next umpteen years in legal proceedings extending their sorrow. It may be more fruitful for the general population to take steps demanding better practise.

Without wanting to start a whole new debate on whether there should even be such a thing as parole, it would seem that the existence of parole is actually a useful thing. Without it, there would be no incentive for prisoners to behave in jail - imagine the problems our prison officers would face if all prisoners decided to play up as there was no incentive for "good behaviour"...

Also, I'm sure there are prisoners who have committed "soft" crimes (so-called) such as burglary, car theft, etc, especially as first-timers, who would benefit by rehabilitation and by having an incentive to get out a bit early and stay out.

However, for psychopaths, sociopaths, and personality disorder types (like Bayley) I can see not one ounce of benefit in having a parole system at all.

Maybe the carrot-approach using parole should be reserved for the "lesser" crimes (eg property crimes) while ALL violent crimes and those who are diagnosed as psychopaths etc should NOT have the option of parole? In fact, the "stick" approach may be more useful - misbehave in jail and you get time added ONTO your sentence. A deterrent approach rather than an incentive approach.

However, I'm not a criminologist, so I'll leave that discussion to those who know these things. But I can't help thinking that criminologists, social workers, parole officers, psychologists, and psychiatrists, are frequently misguided and out of touch with what the majority of society wants. As are many judges and magistrates.

So having police on parole boards would, IMHO, be a good idea, for starters - after all, they are the real experts on criminal behaviour especially that of individual criminals. And let's keep the academics, social workers, and do-gooders out of making decisions that can wreck other peoples' lives like the one that released Bayley into the streets - and kept him there!

Just my 2-cents worth. Feel free to disagree. :twocents:

I am hoping that this is the case that finally changes our legal system. It really has come down to which lawyer can speak the best. Can we please get back to common sense over all these loopholes that lawyers find, I mean how absolutely ridiculous that the jury were not to know that he had raped 22 women before.......I mean common sense would tell you that is the type of information that the jury NEEDED to know. This world has gone stupid............I blame the do gooders and all the "rights" that people have to have......what a lot of them do not seem to understand is that there is both good and bad in humans. The human race have been killing each other, stealing from each other, greed has prevailed more times than not, humans are jealous of each other, and anger is a human emotion and some people are just evil..........pol pot, hitler, Charles manson, idi amin, saddam Hussein, vlad the impaler......these are just a tiny numer I can think of in the history of human beings. A huge majority of people can not be rehabilitated, they should be just kept away from society.

Humans have gone from extreme and ridiculous punishments of times gone past (I think of being branded a witch and dunked in the river....if you drowned you weren't a witch, if you didn't you were and therefore burnt at the stake, as one example) to now going to the other extreme where the criminals have rights.............there is a middle ground..........common sense must prevail and each case judged on what has actually happened and the punishment fit the crime without legal loopholes.

I don't know why he didn't get the maximum for the St Kilda rapes, maximum for rape 25 years, there were 5 in a series, also their was intentional causing serious injury .. but it appears he was sentenced as if he'd only indecently assaulted someone.

https://sentencingcouncil.vic.gov.a.../sentencing-information/law/maximum-penalties

This is an absolute joke.

Off to look for better links, the above does not discuss additional charges, or multiple charges of the same crime and how that effects sentencing.

So says him right? Who knows if this is even true, or if AEB was just looking for justification for the kill .. :stormingmad:

True. And after telling that stripper he wanted to choke women, more likely it happened during the despicable act when she was fighting back, NOT after. Monster. Not even life brings justice. They can't have her back, there is no justice.

Reading over the paper this morning just gets me madder an frustrated and sad.

I know all the information ( thanks Websleuths!) but reading about AEB apologising then in the same breath knowing he "bluffed" his way with the parole board telling them what they wanted to hear.

Admitting to taking away a precious life & in the same breathe lying by saying Jill looked upset & all he was wanting to do was comfort her (he of course came up with THAT load of lies while watching the news headlines & finding out Jill's father was not well.)

Not asking for forgiveness....... Oh how big of you Mr Bayley that is a givin, you have absolutely no right to ask for anything EVER again, including "hope" which your lawyer seems to think should come in the form of a non parole period....

you low life bottom feeder!!!:banghead:

Reading over the paper this morning just gets me madder an frustrated and sad.

I know all the information ( thanks Websleuths!) but reading about AEB apologising then in the same breath knowing he "bluffed" his way with the parole board telling them what they wanted to hear.

Admitting to taking away a precious life & in the same breathe lying by saying Jill looked upset & all he was wanting to do was comfort her (he of course came up with THAT load of lies while watching the news headlines & finding out Jill's father was not well.)

Not asking for forgiveness....... Oh how big of you Mr Bayley that is a givin, you have absolutely no right to ask for anything EVER again, including "hope" which your lawyer seems to think should come in the form of a non parole period....

you low life bottom feeder!!!:banghead:

Yeah, he ran blocks down the road behind her only to 'comfort her' after she looked 'distressed'. Lying swine. She looked pretty happy to me and in a rush to get home.

I was still wondering whether he followed her down hope st or hid down there and then grabbed her. It seems we won't get any of those details.

http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/news/newsstories/8673099/a-brutal-past-why-was-adrian-bayley-set-free

for those in victoria who didn't get to read this until now..

This story was originally published in November 2012 issue of The Australian Women's Weekly

"Despite graphically recording the viciousness with which Bayley violated his victims, the judge in the 2002 court case sentenced Bayley to 11 years in jail. Not even one year per rape.

The sentencing remarks by now-retired County Court Judge, Anthony Duckett, in the April 26, 2002 case of The Queen v. Adrian Ernest Bayley are chilling".

“You used an array of threats and violence to force your victims to satisfy your gross sexual appetite,” Judge Duckett told the accused. “Your conduct went far beyond mere sexual gratification. You forced your victims to accept a series of sexual acts that caused them horrifying distress.”

The judge described a pattern of behaviour which showed “pre- meditation and planning” on Bayley’s part, including picking up the women, all prostitutes working in the southern Melbourne suburb of St Kilda, in his own car, pretending to negotiate a price and then taking them to a deserted alleyway where he terrorised and raped them — some vaginally, others anally, some using his fist. One bled for three weeks after the attack".

Yeah, he ran blocks down the road behind her only to 'comfort her' after she looked 'distressed'. Lying swine. She looked pretty happy to me and in a rush to get home.

I was still wondering whether he followed her down hope st or hid down there and then grabbed her. It seems we won't get any of those details.

I think he either hid in a doorway as she walked past( they are pretty deep dark shopfronts at night), or ran back and chased her down Hope st.

I do believe Jill thought that the coast was clear, as she was worried by this creep ... she showed this by calling her brother ( earlier time zone in Perth as at that stage Tom had not replied) gosh it was just minutes that Tom then sent her a text ..... I hate that he was so close, I hate all the if only's :tantrum:s.

I think he either hid in a doorway as she walked past( they are pretty deep dark shopfronts at night), or ran back and chased her down Hope st.

I do believe Jill thought that the coast was clear, as she was worried by this creep ... she showed this by calling her brother ( earlier time zone in Perth as at that stage Tom had not replied) gosh it was just minutes that Tom then sent her a text ..... I hate that he was so close, I hate all the if only's :tantrum:s.

Yes probably most likely that he hid - however they were only a few shops from Hope St so she must have seen him go down there? Also, remember the media questioned why there were no screams, and they were hinting at the fact she may have been knocked out? I guess we would have found this information out had there been a trial, but glad family don't have to go through one. He better get life next Wed.NO PAROLE.

How the parole system failed poor Jill Meagher

The head of the Sentencing Advisory Council admitted that the Adult Parole Board made the wrong decision when it allowed Bayley back onto the streets.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...-of-jill-meagher/story-fni0ffnk-1226662201379

Interestingly this article also appears to confirm previous speculation of a link between Bayley and Steven Hunter:

"The Herald Sun has been told Bayley also served time with, and was friends with, murderer Steven James Hunter.

Hunter, a convicted killer, would murder 22-year-old Sarah Cafferkey in Bacchus Marsh less than two months after Bayley murdered Ms Meagher in Brunswick."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/breakin...er/story-e6frfkp9-1226662201379#ixzz2VxqblTAb

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back