GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just to keep your collective blood boiling, how about this? 2 years for drugging and raping three underage girls:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/man-who-drugged-and-raped-three-teen-girls-could-serve-only-two-years-in-jail/story-e6frg6n6-1226666850309

Yet Justice Peter Applegarth is one of the more highly regarded, and "real world" judges in Queensland - I think he must have had a brain snap on this one...!

:stormingmad:

This photo (safe for viewing) came up on my Facebook today.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...14634814.21327.122036474635508&type=1&theater

(Is the number 15 wrong? I think he was charged with 16 counts of rape, but against 5 women? IIRC?)

Malcolm Naden sentance = Life without parole.
Adrian Bayley sentance = Life with parole after 35 years.

Is there a thread on Malcolm Naden here? I suppose it's a bit late. I did hear that some details were sealed, never to be released.

Thank you Fuskier. Can you hook me up with a link for Malcolm? Pay walls are down at the moment for CM and The Oz.

when is this cretin's other trial for the other rapes? I think I read somewhere that he has already pled guilty? Hope he gets ten years for both victims and that's the final nail in the coffin. However, he should of got the nail in coffin for Jill. Why should he have freedom one day when she can't. It's so wrong.

Alli, I feel confused as well. Editing to say Judges contemplate the sorry plea.

when is this cretin's other trial for the other rapes? I think I read somewhere that he has already pled guilty? Hope he gets ten years for both victims and that's the final nail in the coffin. However, he should of got the nail in coffin for Jill. Why should he have freedom one day when she can't. It's so wrong.
Bayley will stand trial on May 26th, 2014 on multiple rape charges in Melbourne's bayside area. http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/breaking...611-2o0rk.html

I also felt the need to hear the words 'life without parole'. But then I sat back and thought through the possible thoughts of the sentencing Judge.

Bayley confessed (albeit backed into a wall), lead police to Jill's body & then pled guilty. Bayley and his like would only do these things if there was something in it for them, certainly not from the kindness of his heart. If we take the possibility of parole off the table when dealing with this kind of evil we might end up with a swag of unfound bodies, cases unable to be resolved and more trials clogging up our already strained system.

The Judge was between a rock and a hard place.

I do believe however, that Bayley should have been sentenced to the maximum for Jill's rape. I don't understand the thought process behind that decision.

At the end of the day, as Dr Watson said, he can only APPLY for parole in 35 years. I would hope the possibility of it being granted would be nil.

I think more importantly than the abuse being directed from the public at the Judge for the sentence, we need to focus far more on the parole system and the processes that lead to the likes of Bayley (and the slew of parolees re-offending) being free to walk the streets. Certainly they need to assure that this will not happen again.

I wish I'd never heard of Jill Meagher, I mean that in the nicest way possible. This case is so completely tragic and could easily have been prevented if the system had made better decisions.

All MOO of course

I also felt the need to hear the words 'life without parole'. But then I sat back and thought through the possible thoughts of the sentencing Judge.

Bayley confessed (albeit backed into a wall), lead police to Jill's body & then pled guilty. Bayley and his like would only do these things if there was something in it for them, certainly not from the kindness of his heart. If we take the possibility of parole off the table when dealing with this kind of evil we might end up with a swag of unfound bodies, cases unable to be resolved and more trials clogging up our already strained system.

The Judge was between a rock and a hard place.

I do believe however, that Bayley should have been sentenced to the maximum for Jill's rape. I don't understand the thought process behind that decision.

At the end of the day, as Dr Watson said, he can only APPLY for parole in 35 years. I would hope the possibility of it being granted would be nil.

I think more importantly than the abuse being directed from the public at the Judge for the sentence, we need to focus far more on the parole system and the processes that lead to the likes of Bayley (and the slew of parolees re-offending) being free to walk the streets. Certainly they need to assure that this will not happen again.

I wish I'd never heard of Jill Meagher, I mean that in the nicest way possible. This case is so completely tragic and could easily have been prevented if the system had made better decisions.

If I could like this post more than once I would!!!

Very well said!!

Just watched Toms interview on the ABC so sad it saddened me that he mentioned he can't think of Jill who was apparently so witty and funny without thinking what happened to her on that night. Not only did this monster take his wife but all his precious memories are now consumed around Jill's final moments.
What also got me was that in sentencing AB he mentioned the rape and that it "took place over time"

I doubt they will ever fully release what happened whether the family as I've mentioned in prev posts can put a suppression order for the details to never be released.

I'm annoyed as his sentencing but Dr Watson your post I found really helpful re he still has to apply for parole after 35 years etc so thank you :)

Have the details that made the journalists physically sick ever been released? I'm NOT asking for them to be posted, just asking if they've been released, because I think there's a lot of information we don't know (and won't). They've kept it quiet.

Wow fruity I didn't know that re journalists that's terrible. :( im sure if they had ppl could access the info I guess?

I remember at the time that there was some kind of media gag and the journalists were happy to comply. I know journalists, and usually they're jostling to get the scoop or to be the first to release the news, so for them to all agree not to release the information it had to be very, very upsetting. I think it's best for that knowledge to stay sealed. Just moo.

Have the details that made the journalists physically sick ever been released? I'm NOT asking for them to be posted, just asking if they've been released, because I think there's a lot of information we don't know (and won't). They've kept it quiet.

I don't reckon that will ever be released...it might have something to do with the three counts of rape he was initially charged with, or the fact poor Jill didn't scream....

I don't reckon that will ever be released...it might have something to do with the three counts of rape he was initially charged with, or the fact poor Jill didn't scream....

Yes, what was with that? Did he only agree to plead guilty if they dropped the 2 other counts of rape?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hyacintha
Back