GUILTY Australia - Joan Ryther, 27, pregnant, raped & murdered, Logan, Qld, 21 May 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Good points Hal. I'm also curious about the delay in the witness returning from overseas. Not returning for some time? Does it mean they have other commitments overseas? Incarcerated overseas? Working overseas? Took off for fear of repercussions for talking? Strange that this person, so soon after the crime, is not in the country. I couldn't imagine it being something to do with the cost of travelling back, because the police would obviously make travel arrangements for a key witness.

Another possibility could be that the accused has committed a similar crime and the witness is in relation to this potential other crime (this is purely speculation and IMO only).

I was thinking the key witness might be in the armed services and was deployed or perhaps has pressing family committments and/or medical needs that have to be addressed in another country.

http://www.news.com.au/national-new...etailed-in-court/story-fnii5v6w-1226662800545

This is a truly disturbing article. And it links Joan's attack to a break-in of a car and other witnesses (maybe one of the accused' friends is the one who is currently overseas). I wonder if his friends stole the car that was taken the night Joan disappeared?

Quote:

IT WAS 8.23pm on May 21 when a council security camera picked up the teenager accused of the rape and murder of Joan Ryther walking into a service station with four of his mates, a court has heard.

They were inside just long enough to steal a couple of screwdrivers.

From Mayes Ave, the group walked into Leichhardt St where they found a white car parked outside No. 50. They used a stolen screwdriver to smash a back window.

Prosecutor Vicki Loury told the court the teenager's DNA was found on four areas of Mrs Ryther's clothing both on the front and back of her jumper and on the pants that were left around her ankles. Blood on a bandage from his hand belonged to Mrs Ryther, forensic tests have revealed.

The documents also reveal Mrs Ryther likely died from a combination of injuries to the left side of her face, ``substantial'' genital injuries and strangulation.

A bottle the teenager was seen carrying earlier in the night was probably used in the attack, police allege in their affidavit. :furious:

The information above about the dna placement might give rise to him not being the actual rapist. I am also wondering about a suggestion by someone that it was a group and he has not named them. ie, more people involved.

Very disturbing article Strangeworld. The sad thing is these sorry excuses for human beings think they can simply tell lies and say "prove it!" like naughty children and escape being punished. I really don't care what their age, race, background or culture is, some people are plainly evil and don't deserve the opportunities available in this country. There are people risking their lives daily to get to these shores because they see this place as a land of opportunity. And yet we have people here just taking up space, using up resources who have nothing to contribute except negativity, violence and crime.

I say make use of those rickety asylum seeker boats- fill them with the sadistic riff raff from our prison populations and tow them out into the shark infested waters off WA. Then scuttle the boats. Zero population growth should keep the anti-immigration crowd happy too.

I was thinking the key witness might be in the armed services and was deployed or perhaps has pressing family committments and/or medical needs that have to be addressed in another country.

I wouldn't think military. You're not deployable if you have legal issues, even if you are only a witness. If the police needed to question you, they wouldn't let you leave the country or you'd be sent back as soon as the military found out. We have people competing for deployments so even a little reason would see you off a trip.

The witness couldn't be army and deployed, as the last deployment left from Brisbane in March.

The four mates fled up the street towards Mayes Park. They would later tell police it was at this point they lost the teen, who took off in the opposite direction towards McDonald's, the court documents say.
My guess is that they have CCTV footage of him alone, and the 3 other friends together.

Logan Police Liaison Officers rated as the most important in the district

HEIDI BRAITHWAITE
QUEST NEWSPAPERS
JULY 01, 2013 12:00AM

She said their role was to promote trust and understanding, assisting the community and the police.

“Logan District police has three PLOs of Croatian, Fijian Indian and Aboriginal backgrounds.

Acting Sgt Williams said the officers also worked in partnership with community leaders and members, local non-government and government service providers and organisations.

http://m.couriermail.com.au/questne...-in-the-district/story-fni9r0hy-1226671227649

A Walk for Safety in memory of Joan Ryther this Sunday, supporters to trace the route to Logan McDonald's she never completed @tennewsqld

Renae Henry (@renaehenry10)
18/07/13 1:22 PM

The accused was aged 17 at the time of the crime against Joan. According to Qld law...

The maximum age that defendants are considered a child or juvenile is under the age of 18 years in all states and territories, except Queensland.

******In Queensland, defendants are considered adults if aged 17 years or over at the time the offence was committed.******

Page 5
http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/Ausstats/subscriber.nsf/0/0FF1A3C6572E0E51CA2576E3000AF4D8/$File/45130_2008-09.pdf

Emphasis by me.

Prosecution granted 3 more months to prepare Ryther murder evidence brief

BY JASON RAWLINS
UPDATED 2 MIN AGO

The charges against her alleged attacker were mentioned in the Beenleigh Magistrates Court this morning where prosecutors asked for more time to prepare the brief of evidence against the accused.

The man's defence lawyer, Michael Bosscher, says the delay may be grounds for a second bail application.

The accused is due to face court again via video link in November.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2013-...ime-to-prepare-ryther-murder-evidence/4864956

Pregnant Logan woman Joan Ryther's alleged killer considers bail

August 5, 2013

The teenager accused of raping and murdering Logan woman Joan Ryther will consider reapplying for bail as his case faces lengthy delays, his lawyer says

Witness statements and CCTV footage have been handed to the defence but a police prosecutor told the court it could take up to six months before forensic DNA evidence is provided.

Mr Bosschen said more resources need to be made available to allow scientific evidence to be processed faster and speed up the justice process.

"The unfortunate reality is that these delays are now becoming usual," he said

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...siders-bail-20130805-2r8na.html#ixzz2b4Yn9amH

Lawyers representing a teenager accused of murdering pregnant Logan woman Joan Ryther present with 36 witness statements

HEIDI BRAITHWAITE
QUEST NEWSPAPERS
AUGUST 06, 2013 12:00AM

Joan Ryther whose body was found just 100m from McDonald's, Logan

LAWYERS representing a teenager accused of murdering pregnant Logan woman Joan Ryther have been presented with 36 witness statements

Detectives investigating Ms Ryther’s murder said they also presented 16 discs featuring a record of interview with the 18-year-old man as well as CCTV footage allegedly showing him at various locations on Ewing and Wembley roads and Leichhardt St.

http://m.couriermail.com.au/questne...tness-statements/story-fni9r0hy-1226691503367

A COALITION government will invest $960,000 in crime prevention in the seat of Forde.

The money would be invested in new CCTV security cameras in Waterford West, Loganlea, Pioneer Park in Shailer Park and in Beenleigh.

Federal Member for Forde Bert van Manen said the almost $1million in funding would come on top of the $3million already pledged for the Beenleigh Town Centre upgrade.

Cr Parker said the cameras had been integral in assisting police with cases, including the Joan Ryther murder.

Via The Reporter
Zooming in on crime
16th August 2013 9:08 AM

http://m.thereporter.com.au/news/zooming-in-on-crime/1983851/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members