GUILTY Australia - JS, 32 y.o. man, charged w/ murder of 9 y.o. girl , Mt Wilson, 13 January 2022 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think he probably said this because he is afraid they will find her DNA in his bed and he needs a good explanation.
I just remembered that the DNA expert witness, Rebecca Williams has already been on the witness stand on the 14th May, on the day I attended the court. She stated that she has received 233 DNA samples, as well as other samples received from Police, and there was no comment about DNA in his bedroom. Or on articles of clothing.

I have tried to find out if a witness can be called back again after already having been questioned on the witness stand and it seems they cannot be called back again. Both the prosecution and the defence were both offered the chance to question the witness already.

IMHO

Justin Stein cries while giving evidence, claiming mother of slain schoolgirl Charlise Mutten allegedly shot her​

Stein's fanciful version of events, prior to smoking dope:

Mr Stein told the court he was working on his car in the shed when he heard a gunshot and “Charlise scream my name”.

“Then I went outside the shed...I got to the back of the shed, that’s when I heard Charlise scream ‘Mummy, no’,” Mr Stein told the jury as he tried to hold back tears.

“That’s when I heard...bang...a second gunshot...I saw Kallista and that’s when I saw Charlise on the ground.”

Under questioning from his defence barrister Carolyn Davenport SC, Mr Stein told the jury he saw Ms Mutten with a .22 calibre rifle in her hands.

He told the jury he asked Ms Mutten “what the have you done”.

“She looked at me and screamed at me: ‘You did this’,” Mr Stein said, dabbing his eyes with tissues.

The 33-year-old told the jury she continued to scream “you made me do this”, to which he responded: “what have I done? I have done everything for you”.

The jury heard Ms Mutten screamed at him to get a tarp but he refused.

“She lifted up the rifle like she was going to shoot...I put up both hands and said OK,” Mr Stein said.

Mr Stein said he was in the shed for about ten minutes and when he left he walked up to where they had been, to find Charlise and Ms Mutten “both gone”.

He walked back to the house and went to his bedroom where the jury was told he was “shaking” as he rolled a joint and broke down in tears for up to 15 minutes.

Police say that, between last Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, Mr Stein allegedly murdered his fiancee’s nine-year-old daughter, Charlise Mutten, who was visiting the lavish grounds of his family’s remote Blue Mountains estate, Wildenstein.

To hide what he had allegedly done, Mr Stein towed a boat from the Mount Wilson property and tried to dump the schoolgirl’s body in the Hawkesbury River, but was unable to start the vessel.
So he drove his ute to the Colo River, where he allegedly planned to cast Charlise into the water inside a barrel filled with the sand he had bought from a Bunnings hardware store last Thursday afternoon. But it was all too heavy for him to shift, forcing him to allegedly leave it on the water’s edge.

Last Friday morning, Charlise’s mother Kallista Mutten and Mr Stein reported her daughter missing, saying they had last seen the girl on Thursday. It sparked a five-day search involving hundreds of police and thousands of volunteers in the bushland surrounding the property.

But police were running a separate homicide investigation, examining the possibility Charlise had met with foul play. Many of Mr Stein’s movements in the 24 hours before Charlise was reported missing had been captured on CCTV and through the GPS on his mobile phone.

Court documents say Mr Stein murdered Charlise between 7pm last Tuesday and 10am on Wednesday.

That behaviour also allegedly included a series of phone calls made to his fiancee while buying the sandbags and fuel for the boat at a local petrol station.

He said Mr Stein had told Ms Mutten and his mother he was out looking for Charlise on January 13, but allegedly left Mount Wilson with a barrel under a tarp in the back of the ute, as well as towing his boat.

He went to Bunnings and allegedly bought five 20kg bags of sand, most of which was later found in the barrel with the girl’s body, the jury was told.

With the girl’s body allegedly stuffed in a barrel at the back of the ute and hidden under a tarp, Mr McKay told the jury Mr Stein stopped in at a 7/11 where he bought a can of coke, snickers and a slushie before putting more than $120 of petrol in a boat he was towing.
The jury was told Mr Stein later Google searched “Colo River” and allegedly dumped the barrel down an embankment before returning to Mount Wilson at 4.22am on January 15.

The barrel was found on January 18 buried within some foliage partway down the embankment, with a toxicology report showing Charlise tested positive for Mr Stein’s schizophrenia medication.

Defence barrister Carolyn Davenport SC told the jury her client told “various versions” of what happened to the child to protect his former partner.

On Thursday, January 13, Justin Stein left the Wildenstein property at Mount Wilson in his Holden Colorado, police say, towing a boat carrying the barrel with Charlise's body inside.

A blue tarpaulin is believed to have been draped over the barrel in the boat.

According to GPS data detectives later obtained from Stein's mobile phone and his ute, he allegedly made the approximately one hour 20 minute journey to Marsden Park Bunnings.
At Bunnings, Stein bought five 20kg bags of sand and made a phone call to Kallista Mutten, police allege.

He then allegedly made a three minute drive to the BP service station at Marsden Park, where he filled up the boat with marine fuel and called Kallista Mutten again.

At some point, Stein must have emptied the bags of sand into the barrel to weight it down.

From the BP, it is at 40 minute drive to Five Dock boat ramp on the Parramatta River in inner western Sydney, where he is said to have failed to launch the motor boat, because it was 'inoperable'.

Stein again allegedly called Kallista Mutton and discussed his futile attempt to float the vessel and is then believed to have made the hour-long 60km drive to Windsor boat ramp......

Police say that, between last Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, Mr Stein allegedly murdered his fiancee’s nine-year-old daughter, Charlise Mutten, who was visiting the lavish grounds of his family’s remote Blue Mountains estate, Wildenstein.

To hide what he had allegedly done, Mr Stein towed a boat from the Mount Wilson property and tried to dump the schoolgirl’s body in the Hawkesbury River, but was unable to start the vessel.
So he drove his ute to the Colo River, where he allegedly planned to cast Charlise into the water inside a barrel filled with the sand he had bought from a Bunnings hardware store last Thursday afternoon. But it was all too heavy for him to shift, forcing him to allegedly leave it on the water’s edge.

Last Friday morning, Charlise’s mother Kallista Mutten and Mr Stein reported her daughter missing, saying they had last seen the girl on Thursday. It sparked a five-day search involving hundreds of police and thousands of volunteers in the bushland surrounding the property.

But police were running a separate homicide investigation, examining the possibility Charlise had met with foul play. Many of Mr Stein’s movements in the 24 hours before Charlise was reported missing had been captured on CCTV and through the GPS on his mobile phone.

Court documents say Mr Stein murdered Charlise between 7pm last Tuesday and 10am on Wednesday.

That behaviour also allegedly included a series of phone calls made to his fiancee while buying the sandbags and fuel for the boat at a local petrol station.

He said Mr Stein had told Ms Mutten and his mother he was out looking for Charlise on January 13, but allegedly left Mount Wilson with a barrel under a tarp in the back of the ute, as well as towing his boat.

He went to Bunnings and allegedly bought five 20kg bags of sand, most of which was later found in the barrel with the girl’s body, the jury was told.

With the girl’s body allegedly stuffed in a barrel at the back of the ute and hidden under a tarp, Mr McKay told the jury Mr Stein stopped in at a 7/11 where he bought a can of coke, snickers and a slushie before putting more than $120 of petrol in a boat he was towing.
The jury was told Mr Stein later Google searched “Colo River” and allegedly dumped the barrel down an embankment before returning to Mount Wilson at 4.22am on January 15.

The barrel was found on January 18 buried within some foliage partway down the embankment, with a toxicology report showing Charlise tested positive for Mr Stein’s schizophrenia medication.

Defence barrister Carolyn Davenport SC told the jury her client told “various versions” of what happened to the child to protect his former partner.

On Thursday, January 13, Justin Stein left the Wildenstein property at Mount Wilson in his Holden Colorado, police say, towing a boat carrying the barrel with Charlise's body inside.

A blue tarpaulin is believed to have been draped over the barrel in the boat.

According to GPS data detectives later obtained from Stein's mobile phone and his ute, he allegedly made the approximately one hour 20 minute journey to Marsden Park Bunnings.
At Bunnings, Stein bought five 20kg bags of sand and made a phone call to Kallista Mutten, police allege.

He then allegedly made a three minute drive to the BP service station at Marsden Park, where he filled up the boat with marine fuel and called Kallista Mutten again.

At some point, Stein must have emptied the bags of sand into the barrel to weight it down.

From the BP, it is at 40 minute drive to Five Dock boat ramp on the Parramatta River in inner western Sydney, where he is said to have failed to launch the motor boat, because it was 'inoperable'.

Stein again allegedly called Kallista Mutton and discussed his futile attempt to float the vessel and is then believed to have made the hour-long 60km drive to Windsor boat ramp......
I posted these earlier articles to try and get info about the phone calls Stein made to Kalista, while he was driving around with the barrels.

Does anyone have info about what was supposedly said in those phone calls?

Oh, this call might be a problem for him...

Crown prosecutor Ken McKay, SC, has alleged Stein shot Charlise then fed her mother lies that her daughter was missing, pretending he left her in the care of a woman valuing Wildenstein or his former criminal associates may have taken her, before telling police he last saw her on January 10.

McKay said Kallista Mutten found dating apps on Stein’s phone on the night of January 12, left the home in his red Holden Colorado ute in the early hours of January 13, and sent messages to friends “consistent with her belief that the child was missing”.

The prosecutor said Charlise’s mother sent a text to Stein saying, “I just want my daughter”, and had a “bit of a confrontation” with him when she returned, before she “once again took off in his car” later that morning.

The court heard Stein, in the voicemail messages, told Kallista Mutten that if she did not bring the vehicle back, “I am going to f---ing hurt you as well as everyone else, and I’ll tell the police that you’re the one who took your daughter”.

Stein repeatedly demanded that she pick up the phone, and at times raised his voice to a scream. In a message left at 10.05am, the court heard he said: “Guess what? The other car just started, c---, and I’ve got my f---ing guns, and I’m going to f---ing kill you now”.

“You f---ed me over for the last time,” he said. “It was f---ing you doing this to Charlise to f--- me wasn’t it … I’m going to kill you.”
Stein told Kallista Mutten police were on their way and “you’re going down, dog”. He alleged she had smashed up multiple properties, and it was her “last chance” to “do the right thing”.

Here is what she said on the emergency call to find her daughter:

Earlier, the jury heard the triple-zero call made by Charlise’s mother at 8.12am on January 14, in which she said, “I’m sorry, I need to report my daughter missing … she’s nine”. She said she last saw her “two nights ago”.

“She was here [at Wildenstein], I wasn’t here, my partner was here,” Kallista Mutten said.

“During the morning, she was really, she was sort of sick … lethargic … and I was two-and-a-half hours away.

“Justin and the lady that … came over to do the auction for his mum, which was her friend, he asked if she could mind her while he went and got me … didn’t want her in the car … throwing up.
“She was fine with that, and the lady said, ‘No worries, take all the time you want’, and when we got back, they were gone, and I thought maybe she’s taken … so I rung the hospitals, but nup.”

She said she had been “looking for her in the bush and everything, that’s why it’s taken two days”.
She was asked by the operator if she had “any thoughts of where she [Charlise] might have gone”, and she said her daughter was “here on holidays for a month”.

OK, I found the texts I was looking for---these might be a problem for Stein----

'I'm not losing her over you'​

Crown Prosecutor Ken McKay SC said detectives obtained data from Mr Stein's phone, which showed he had used an adult dating app between the night of January 11 and the morning of January 12.

The court heard Ms Mutten returned to the Mount Wilson property with Mr Stein later on January 12 to find her daughter was no longer there.

Mr McKay said Ms Mutten believed her daughter had possibly left her at a hospital.

The jury heard instead of calling police, she called two nearby hospitals and did not officially report her missing to authorities until two days later.

Mr McKay said the couple spent the night at the Mount Wilson property, where Ms Mutten looked through Mr Stein's phone and saw he had used online dating apps and texted one of her friends.

The court heard Kallista Mutten drove off with Mr Stein's ute the next morning to a nearby camp site after the couple had an argument, where she texted him saying "you're a liar, cheat and now lost my daughter".

The court heard some of her other messages included "I'm not losing her over you" and I "I just want my daughter".

On Wednesday, the trial heard Justin Stein left multiple voice messages on Ms Mutten's phone demanding she bring back the car, including one where he is heard saying "guess what the other car just started, I've got me *advertiser censored***** guns and I'm going to *advertiser censored***** kill you now"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So Stein is saying Kalista killed her on the night of the 12th---but what about the timing of these earlier calls and texts?

KM apparently called 2 hospitals, on the 12th, looking for CM. I want to see what time those calls were made. Because he claimed that the child was shot on the evening of the 12th.

I really need to figure out this timeline....

"Stein again allegedly called Kallista Mutton and discussed his futile attempt to float the vessel and is then believed to have made the hour-long 60km drive to Windsor boat ramp......"

Discussed his futile attempt to float the boat? Why would he be discussing this with her? This all sounds might fishy to me (no pun intended).

So his pregnant girlfriend placed her child's body in the barrel and by herself, she loaded it into the ute?

What happened to the part where she pointed a shot gun at his head to force him to help her? Didnt he say that somewhere? Or did I imagine that?

So his pregnant girlfriend placed her child's body in the barrel and by herself, she loaded it into the ute?

What happened to the part where she pointed a shot gun at his head to force him to help her? Didnt he say that somewhere? Or did I imagine that?

Yep, she did all of that according to him. And he says it so upset him that he had to go smoke dope and have a cry.

Katy, there has been very sloppy reporting from this trial, in my opinion.

No, you didn't imagine it.

Stein said Mutten repeatedly screamed at him “you did this” and pointed the weapon at him, telling him to get a tarp from the shed.

Justin Steins trial continued today with the prosecution establishing a timeline of events.

Much of it has been previously reported but there are a few extra details in particular about January 13th when Stein is alleged to have driven the body to Sydney.

January 13
In the early hours of this day we'd previously heard, the couple had been arguing after Kallista went through Steins phone and then took off in his car.
I gather the two of them slept for a good part of that day as well.

4.00pm Stein is alleged to have finally left the Mt Wilson property with the barrel in the back of his car and the boat in tow, telling his mother (Annemie Stein) and Kallista that he was going out searching for Charlise.

He visits bunnings to buy sandbags, 7-Eleven to buy snacks, BP to get fuel for the boat and for his ute.

6.51pm
Stein drives his car to Rose Bay Wharf in Sydney’s eastern suburbs, circling the carpark before leaving and travelling to Drummoyne wharf in the inner west.

7.28pm Steins mother messages asking how things were going.
“I think Kallista has done all this and everything else at the property, lots of things not adding up.”

When Mr Stein suggested it was “possible”, his mother queried whether Ms Mutten was as “distraught” as him.

She told her son “any mother would be inconsolable” and claimed Ms Mutten knew “where Charlise is”.

“I’m beside myself and she has no connection to me … what the is going on here?” she wrote.

Mr Stein said he was going to “get to the bottom of it”

January 14
12.21am
Stein receives messages from Kallista saying she was “going to bed” and “don’t come back unless she’s with you”.
Followed by “knock down the door and say where’s my daughter”.

12.38am
Stein googles “Windsor boat ramp” at 12.38am, with Kallista asking him 10 minutes later to “please get our baby back”.

1.19am Stein’s car is seen driving through David St at Windsor.

Stein has poured 99KG of sand into the barrel along with Charlise' body.

I wonder if he's added the sand while the barrel is still in the back of the ute.

It also doesn't appear to be known exactly what Stein has done at the these three different boat ramps but he inevitably gives up, either because he's not able to get the boat running or not able to get the barrel into the boat.

1.42am Stein leaves Windsor boat ramp travels to an area at the lower Colo Rd.
There, he pushes the barrel off the embankment down towards the Colo River and gets back in the car.

2:45am Stein does a U turn leaves the area.

4:26am Stein arrives back at the Mount Wilson property.

at 8.12am Kallista finally reports Charlise missing.

Last edited: May 20, 2024

OhOH----this could be a problem for Kalista-----Are they going to accuse her of burying those stolen weapons herself on the morning of the 13th?

https://www.news.com.au/national/ns...s/news-story/45dfcd1f89041a5af3ccc8a80745148a
'...
On Wednesday Carolyn Davenport SC, representing Mr Stein, told the court Ms Mutten drove off with Mr Stein’s car twice in the early hours of January 13, 2022.

The jury previously heard Ms Mutten had gone to a nearby campground to “pray” for her daughter and sent text messages “consistent with someone who” had a missing child.

Under cross-examination of Detective Sergeant Bradley Gardiner, Ms Davenport asked whether Ms Mutten was tracked when she left with Mr Stein’s car the second time that morning.

She asked: “There’s no tracking of her phone after she left the property the second time?”

“No, that’s correct,” Det Sgt Gardiner said.

Ms Davenport confirmed: “There’s no tracking of where she went between 9am and 10.30am on January 13.”

Det Sgt Gardiner told the court Ms Mutten had told police where she went.

“There’s no evidence to show us where she went,” Ms Davenport asked.

The officer-in-charge responded: “No.”

Ms Davenport then asked if there was any evidence to show Mr Stein drove to the location where the firearms were found on a fire trail near the Mount Wilson property.

Again, Det Sgt Gardiner said there was no evidenc

OhOH----this could be a problem for Kalista-----Are they going to accuse her of burying those stolen weapons herself on the morning of the 13th?

https://www.news.com.au/national/ns...s/news-story/45dfcd1f89041a5af3ccc8a80745148a
'...
On Wednesday Carolyn Davenport SC, representing Mr Stein, told the court Ms Mutten drove off with Mr Stein’s car twice in the early hours of January 13, 2022.

The jury previously heard Ms Mutten had gone to a nearby campground to “pray” for her daughter and sent text messages “consistent with someone who” had a missing child.

Under cross-examination of Detective Sergeant Bradley Gardiner, Ms Davenport asked whether Ms Mutten was tracked when she left with Mr Stein’s car the second time that morning.

She asked: “There’s no tracking of her phone after she left the property the second time?”

“No, that’s correct,” Det Sgt Gardiner said.

Ms Davenport confirmed: “There’s no tracking of where she went between 9am and 10.30am on January 13.”

Det Sgt Gardiner told the court Ms Mutten had told police where she went.

“There’s no evidence to show us where she went,” Ms Davenport asked.

The officer-in-charge responded: “No.”

Ms Davenport then asked if there was any evidence to show Mr Stein drove to the location where the firearms were found on a fire trail near the Mount Wilson property.

Again, Det Sgt Gardiner said there was no evidenc
I’m not sure that will be much of an issue since obviously JS knew where the stuff was buried, per his prison conversation with his mum. So he either hid the stuff himself or had knowledge of it..

In a prison call from Mr Stein on March 21, 2022, he asks his mother if she could “do something” for him.

“I need you to retrieve some stuff in the mountains,” he asks his mother in the call.

Here is an old article, from 2023----have they referred to any of these charges during this trial?

https://www.news.com.au/national/ns...d/news-story/44435cbc2a8b4d749d85bedeb5d0bc03

Justin Stein was allegedly in possession of 21 child abuse videos, court documents have revealed.
Lawyers for Justin Stein, 31, appeared in Penrith Local Court on Friday. He faces a raft of charges including murder and possession of child abuse material.

Court documents have revealed Mr Stein is accused of possessing “16 category one, and five category two” videos which portrayed child sexual abuse.

“Videos depicted material, in a manner that would in all circumstances cause offence to reasonable persons, " the documents stated.

Here is an old article, from 2023----have they referred to any of these charges during this trial?

https://www.news.com.au/national/ns...d/news-story/44435cbc2a8b4d749d85bedeb5d0bc03

Justin Stein was allegedly in possession of 21 child abuse videos, court documents have revealed.
Lawyers for Justin Stein, 31, appeared in Penrith Local Court on Friday. He faces a raft of charges including murder and possession of child abuse material.

Court documents have revealed Mr Stein is accused of possessing “16 category one, and five category two” videos which portrayed child sexual abuse.

“Videos depicted material, in a manner that would in all circumstances cause offence to reasonable persons, " the documents stated.
I don’t think they’re allowed to refer to past convictions or charges during a trial to ensure that the judgment is fair. They can usually only be taken into account when it comes to sentencing.

This page explains more: When Can Courts take into Account my Previous Convictions? | Downing Centre Court

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee
Back