Australia Australia - Julie-Anne Leahy, 26, & Vicki Arnold, 27, Atherton, Qld, 9 Aug 1991

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not only did Alan get his wife's life insurance he sued Vicki's estate for the death of his wife and got $45,000! Unbelievable! And was free to live with his young sister in law and she looked after his and Julie-Ann's 4 children. He must have been thinking it was all so easy, if of course he did kill them and if not, then it was still all so easy for him.

Wow, I wonder if that $45 000 could be recouped with interest should he be found guilty?

ALAN LEAHY: I absolutely had nothing to do with my wife's murder.

LIZ HAYES: Or Vicki Arnold's death?

ALAN LEAHY: Or Vicki Arnold's death. Vicki Arnold committed suicide, as far as I'm concerned, and she took my wife in the process.
http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/stories/lizhayes/259340/murder-at-cherry-tree-creek

I don't know anything about this case other than what's in this thread but I have a hard time believing that anyone who lost his beloved wife would refer to her murder in those terms. She was "taken in the process" :P What a clinical way of referring to a brutal attack.

It's just so sad for Vicki Arnold's family. I can imagine their sense of relief when the recent arrest was made and murder suicide was ruled out, but this theory would turn some of the blame back onto Vicki again. What a nightmare. :(

:-( I understand...it was just someone's theory and I found it interesting. I really believe that Vicky did not have anything to do with the murder but there is information in the media that Vicky had purchased a gun for an unknown friend in the weeks before the murders were carried out. I don't believe that Vicky actually participated in the murder but she may have unwittingly been involved if the rumours about her having an affair with Alan are even remotely true. Leahy does seem to be very manipulative as evidenced in the case with the sister...

At the end of the day I am only speculating on what I have read..we will all have to wait to see what comes out in the trial. MOO

Great points you've made there, tarjessi! And thanks for the link. Thought provoking indeed.

Is your friend's case discussed anywhere? If you don't mind me asking, np if you don't wish to share that info though.

Hello Ausgirl,

Unfortunately the case I am talking about had a bit of press coverage after my friend went missing but only minimal to none afterwards. As a body has not been found the death was ruled as death by misadventure. The lack of coverage is mainly because the family did not want it to be discussed publicly but I do know now that after the inquest they sort of wish they had...

Maybe some things would have come to light earlier...as they had to change tack from murder to accidental death as such I was completely discredited in the evidence I gave...it was a pretty yuck experience all the way around. The family believed my statement because it married up with the things they knew about the circumstances...

I would be prepared to discuss the case privately but not on a public forum at this time for the family's sake. My friend's sister has spoken about one day writing a book though but his parent's are apprehensive and don't want to cause a fuss. Long story...and off topic sorry.

Back to the Leahy case...it will be interesting to see what comes out in the trial completely. I don't want to sully Vicky's name anymore than it has already with being accused of committing a murder suicide, but I am curious to see if there was evidence of an affair and if Alan may have manipulated Vicky into unwittingly providing a gun for her own murder...I don't know I hope not. It's so horrendous and I cannot believe the behaviour of some of the police at the time...MOO

"During the hearing Mrs Leahy's teenage sister, Vanessa, gave evidence that she was in a sexual relationship with Mr Leahy and was terrified her sister would find out."

If that were true, why would she give him an alibi when her sister wound up dead, if he was not actually there?

She was only 16 at the time and he was very manipulative.

Double-murder accused Alan Leahy granted bail

March 20, 2013

ACCUSED double-murderer Alan Leahy has been granted bail by a Cairns court after surrendering to police over the 1991 slayings of his wife and her best friend.
Earlier this month, state Coroner Michael Barnes committed Leahy to stand trial over the deaths of his wife Julie-Anne Leahy and her friend Vicki Arnold more than 20 years ago.

Leahy, who had been living in Western Australia, handed himself in at the Cairns Police Station on Friday afternoon, just in time to meet the coroner's deadline.

In the Cairns Supreme Court on Wednesday, Justice James Henry granted Leahy bail under a number of conditions.

He must live in Perth but is allowed to travel between states for business purposes.

He is banned from contacting Julie-Anne Leahy's younger sister, a key witness, and can't apply for a passport.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...ahy-granted-bail/story-e6freoof-1226601502302

Arnold and Leahy slayings return to court

August 5, 2013

A man accused of the 1991 shooting deaths of his wife and her best friend in Queensland has gone to the Supreme Court to try to avoid prosecution.

Earlier this year, state coroner Michael Barnes committed Alan Leahy to stand trial for unlawfully killing his wife Julie-Anne Leahy and her friend Vicki Arnold.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...rn-to-court-20130805-2r8am.html#ixzz2b4XVtprP

Qld cold-case double murder decision due

23 August 2013

ACCUSED double-murderer Alan Leahy will find out on Monday whether a Queensland coroner's decision to commit him to stand trial has been overturned.

The final decision over whether a trial will take place rests with the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), who needs to ensure there are reasonable prospects of a conviction.

A decision is due on September 22.

In a separate civil case, Leahy has applied in the Supreme Court to have the coroner's decision overturned.

A decision on that matter is due on Monday

http://tools.goldcoast.com.au/stories/55063120.php

He must, he must, he MUST stand trial! Let these poor women, their families and their community get a chance at justice.

August 27, 2013

The coroner’s other findings that the deaths weren’t a murder-suicide still stand.

Despite the coroner’s ruling being overturned it will be up to the DPP to decide whether a trial takes place.

This decision is due on September 22.

University of Queensland legal expert Heather Douglas says the DPP can still commit Leahy to stand trial, even though the coroner’s decision has been overturned.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...arnold-case-20130827-2snqj.html#ixzz2d9Gt4Isb

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back