GUILTY Australia - Kiesha Weippeart, 6, Mount Druitt, NSW, 18 July 2010 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/docs-didnt-protect-kiesha-20130629-2p3vh.html
'DOCS didn't protect Kiesha'
The grandmother of six-year-old Kiesha Weippeart has spoken out to condemn the Department of Community Services for returning the child to the care of her mother, who went on to physically abuse and murder her.
Liz Weippeart made the comments before the sentencing in two weeks' time of the child's mother, Kristi Abrahams, who has admitted to the murder.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/docs-didnt-protect-kiesha-20130629-2p3vh.html#ixzz2XePunrUc

Fruity I will want to bow out because... I now just post links.

Why did a government department hand over KWs care to foster care? The dad made the first report but why wasn't ANY family member given custody then? Grandma is organising tshirts and the grandfather said that he would take KW.

Info for foster carers below.

Foster care is provided to children and young people who are unable to live with their own families.

http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/welcome_to_docs_website.html

Whether you have been in care for a short or long period of time, whether you have been placed with a relative, a foster carer or in residential care or independent living — you would have strong feelings and opinions about decisions which affect your life.
http://www.community.nsw.gov.au/doc...amilies/for_young_people/are_you_in_care.html

That last link is for kids in care ala KA.

Why did KW get put in foster care and then taken out of it when apparently the grandma was more than happy to help?

By the way I was shocked to find out group homes still exist for Aboriginal kids.

New details released in the report, ‘DOCS didn’t protect Kiesha”

-Kristi Abrahams will be sentenced on July 18th, the day Kiesha was murdered in 2010
-Kristi Abrahams butted a cigarette on Kiesha’s face
-Liz and Chris Weippeart briefly cared for Kiesha after she was bit on the shoulder by her mother but DOCS made the decision to take Kiesha out of their care and return her to her mother after being pressured by Kristi.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/docs-didnt-protect-kiesha-20130629-2p3vh.html#ixzz2Xjy5L2ha

-Kristi Abrahams will be sentenced on July 18th, the day Kiesha was murdered in 2010
-Liz and Chris Weippeart briefly cared for Kiesha after she was bit on the shoulder by her mother but DOCS made the decision to take Kiesha out of their care and return her to her mother after being pressured by Kristi.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/docs-didnt-protect-kiesha-20130629-2p3vh.html#ixzz2Xjy5L2ha

i think kiesha was also cared for by other foster parents for 18 months, so wonder why liz weippeart, her grandmother wasnt given the opportunity for ongoing foster care? maybe kristi forbade it as she seemed to hate chris so much? not sure if chris and kristi were still together at that stage?

Fruity, I want to bow out because I don't understand this entire situation and I post more questions than answers. I will try to just post links now.

Sarah Vogler (@SarahLVogler)
1/07/13 1:19 PM
Comm Carmody says number of children in care doubled since 2004, budget increased 300 per cent and it's unsustainable. @couriermail #qldpol

Moo. DOCs had a budget increase of some 4.3%. The minister said parents must take more responsibility. I believe that is why we have them because the parents aren't being responsible.

The budget for those kids in care has risen 300% and is unsustainable.

TEN News Queensland (@tennewsqld)
1/07/13 1:18 PM

RT @ursulaheger: Carmody inquiry into child protection system finds "systemic failures" with too little money spent on early intervention

1/07/13 1:17 PM

Comm Carmody says state intervention should only be used as a last resort. @couriermail #qldpol

1/07/13 1:11 PM

Commissioner Tim Carmody QC says child protection not just govt responsibility but also social responsibility. @couriermail #qldpol

Moo. Why was KW not handed over to her grandmother or father?

Queensland tax payers are spending the money on this...

Shane Doherty (@ShaneDoherty_9)
1/07/13 1:52 PM
Qld govt owes tens of millions in back pay to serving and former MPs - every one since 2009

Yeah, that makes sense, the abuser 'pressures' them so they cave in. :banghead:

Brisbane Times (@brisbanetimes)
1/07/13 1:37 PM

Child protection inquiry has recommended pulling back on the mandatory reporting of suspected child abuse. brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/inq…

She shouldn't have been with Kristi but I don't think she should be with her drug addicted father either. I think it is disgusting that Kiesha was not protected but I don't think the Weippearts were necessarily the answer. They hadn't seen her for several years by their own admission (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/archive...eported-sighting/story-e6frf7l6-1225911635695). At a minimum, if he had his **** together he could have been having access visits. If he was having access visits, he would have known she was being abused and could have took action. But the reality was she was abandoned to her fate with Kristi by her father. It's all well and good for her paternal grandmother to blame DOCS, it is absolutely ridiculous that she was left with Kristi. But no one else in the extended family took any action, they didn't even keep up visiting with her, words to a newspaper are easy. It is ridiculous that they started using his name for Kiesha in the media, neither of them deserve any claim to that child they made, but chose to abuse and abandon.

Thank you Oz for your post. I didn't think that the thank you button was enough to agree with you. I am a newbie and now I know why people reserve their thanks.

She shouldn't have been with Kristi but I don't think she should be with her drug addicted father either. I think it is disgusting that Kiesha was not protected but I don't think the Weippearts were necessarily the answer. They hadn't seen her for several years by their own admission (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/archive...eported-sighting/story-e6frf7l6-1225911635695). At a minimum, if he had his **** together he could have been having access visits. If he was having access visits, he would have known she was being abused and could have took action. But the reality was she was abandoned to her fate with Kristi by her father. It's all well and good for her paternal grandmother to blame DOCS, it is absolutely ridiculous that she was left with Kristi. But no one else in the extended family took any action, they didn't even keep up visiting with her, words to a newspaper are easy. It is ridiculous that they started using his name for Kiesha in the media, neither of them deserve any claim to that child they made, but chose to abuse and abandon.

yes, you are right. i had forgotten kieshas own father was a drug user, so wouldnt have been a suitable carer for kiesha either and i agree it seems they had given up on her and just left her to kristi, although i imagine she would have made access visits impossible, but you dont just give away your own child or grandchild! and especially knowing she had already suffered at the hands of her mother!
its really sad so many people noticed kiesha was being abused, she even told a social worker, not one of those people did anything, and now her family and everyone is shocked and outraged and blaming govt departments she was killed!
what is that saying "evil prevails when good men do nothing" its so true

Exactly. She knew what she was doing.

68 is not an 'abnormally low' IQ at all.

Respectfully, it very much is. Anyone with that score is classified as having mild mental retardation, and would have difficulties that someone with a higher level of intellectual function would not experience.

I'm sure there are anecdotal stories regarding "people who have that score and are fine", but anecdotes should never be used to broadly classify or judge a population.

I totally agree with you. Kiesha should have stayed with her foster family imo. Chris lived with Kristi so he knew his daughter was not safe with her. Sending Kiesha to live with her paternal grandfather before she was murdered wasn't the answer either because he was an alcoholic with a history of violence so I doubt Kiesha would have been safe with him either.

Kristi won't receive the sentence she deserves. Australia's justice system is doing a really great job finding excuses to give lenient sentences lately. I would be surprised if hers is much more than Robert's. Kiesha didn't get the love and help she needed back then and she won't get the justice she deserves now. At least the other two children in this situation have been removed and hopefully they will be cared for properly.

Respectfully, it very much is. Anyone with that score is classified as having mild mental retardation, and would have difficulties that someone with a higher level of intellectual function would not experience.

I'm sure there are anecdotal stories regarding "people who have that score and are fine", but anecdotes should never be used to broadly classify or judge a population.

I as you posted, 68 is a low mental retardation. Do you have a link at all? I am in the disability sector and would appreciate your input.

The article below to me shows that those with an identifiable score of this disability can not enter a plea of guilt or innocence.

The accused in this case was determined to have the mental capacity to plead guilty.

Unfit to plead': why does the law jail those with intellectual disabilities indefinitely?

People with intellectual disabilities who are found to be “unfit to plead”

https://theconversation.com/unfit-t...-intellectual-disabilities-indefinitely-15504

Of course a person with an IQ of 68 will have difficulties that people with an average IQ would not. That's a given. An IQ of 68 is low, however it is not "abnormally low".

The word 'retardation' is outdated now. The preferred term by professionals, family and workers in this area is 'intellectual disability'.

An IQ of 50 to 70 means a person has a mild intellectual disability (IM). People in this category know right from wrong. They usually require minimal support with everyday living. People in this range live independently, have families and can expect to have a job after they leave school (though it may be in a supported context). There is nothing anecdotal about these facts.

To contrast, an 'abnormally low' IQ would be under 50. People in this category require support and assistance in most facets of life.

A moderate intellectual disability is in the range of 25 to 50 (IO).

A profound intellectual disability is between 20 and 35.

BBM.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...a-may-be-delayed/story-e6freuzi-1226049408918
Meanwhile, police have confirmed all formal documentation relating to the child will bear her birth surname of Weippeart.

I agree with your post. She was let down by everyone :( They could have fought for her, but chose not to. I understand that Kristi would have been horrendus to deal with, but that's not a good enough excuse IMO!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back