Australia - Luke Batty, 11, killed by dad at Tyabb sports oval, 12 Feb 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Domestic violence is the most common type of violence against women and one which will come under the crosshairs this week as survivor Rosie Batty takes the stand at a coronial inquest into her son Luke’s death.

Ms Batty had taken out an intervention order against her former partner Greg Anderson 18 months before he murdered her son in February.

Describing it was “the worst time in her life”, she told SBS that greater intervention by authorities could have made the difference between life and death for her family.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/...e-batty-leads-charge-change-domestic-violence

ROSIE Batty thought about calling police when Greg Anderson turned up at their 11-year-old son's cricket training the night Luke died, but decided not to.
Ms Batty said previous attempts to have Anderson arrested at the Victorian oval had proved traumatic and unpredictable.
She said she thought: "This will be the third time I've tried to get this man arrested in front of Luke and his friends at that bloody oval."
Anderson hit Luke with a cricket bat then attacked him with a knife at the Tyabb cricket oval in February before being shot by police, later dying in hospital.
Ms Batty told an inquest into Luke's death she originally wanted her son to have a relationship with his father.
But she changed her mind in April 2013 when Luke revealed his father had pulled out the knife and began praying as he sat in his car with his son.
As he held up the knife, Anderson told Luke: "This could be the one to end it all."

http://www.news.com.au/national/bre...oice-rosie-batty/story-e6frfku9-1227095905521

Luke Batty inquest

21 October 2014

A lot of concerns have been reported in the media in relation to evidence given on the opening day of the Luke Batty inquest.

Victoria Police understand and support the immense community interest in the inquest into the tragic death of Luke Batty.

We understand this was a horrific and tragic event and the community quite rightly want answers.

As the inquest is now underway it is important to allow the Coronial process to run its course and the Coroner to make decisions based on the facts presented to him without outside influence.

Victoria Police won’t be making any statements relating to the inquest until the court matters are finalised.

To do so would be inappropriate and disrespectful to the Coroner and the Coronial process.

The scope of the inquest will take into account all of the factors and influences leading up to the death of Luke.

It is imperative that we allow the Coroner to hear this evidence first hand, without pre-empting the responses from those involved.

Victoria Police will be in a position to speak further about Luke’s death at the conclusion of the coronial process.

http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/news/4787-luke-batty-inquest.html

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-22/rosie-batty-traumatised-by-court-system-dealings/5832792

Ms Batty told the inquest that she felt desperate, alone and afraid, trying to deal with her violent ex-partner.

She broke down under cross-examination from the Department of Human Services (DHS) this morning.

You decide to make a stand and you don't know what is going to happen next.
Rosie Batty

Under questioning by a DHS lawyer she told the court that her former partner's threats to kill her and chop off her foot was a "line in the sand" and she knew she had to stand up to him.

When the lawyer then asked if she had "called him on it", Rosie Batty broke down, saying she had "and look where it got me, look where it got me".

"If you only had any idea what it takes, the level of fear," Ms Batty told the court.

"You are alone and you don't know what you are facing ... you decide to make a stand and you don't know what is going to happen next."

Big HUGS for you Rosie :heartbeat:

3rd day under cross examination!!!! Such a strong woman x

Batty dad was 'bad, not mad': officer

GREG Anderson was "100 per cent bad" and always likely to kill his son, according to a police officer who says his efforts to have him locked up were undone by the courts.

SENIOR Constable Paul Topham told the inquest into Luke Batty's death on Thursday that Anderson's behaviour had become increasingly erratic, and he knew the 54-year-old was capable of killing.
"If he didn't do it on the 12th of February, he would've done it further down the track," he told the Victorian Coroners Court.
"The writing was on the wall."

"He is nuts," Sen Const Topham said of Anderson in an email to a colleague.
"He is contesting all matters and will only answer to Jesus. He even told the magistrate that and still got bail."
Sen Const Topham said police had worked hard to arrest Anderson and keep him in custody, but were continually thwarted by the courts and mental health system.
"What do we do with someone like this?" he told the inquest on Thursday.
"Police weren't mucking around on this bloke. We were trying to get him.

http://www.news.com.au/national/bre...to-happen-police/story-e6frfku9-1227099727576

A detective says police felt it important not to arrest Greg Anderson in a "rushed manner" in the days before he killed his son.

A Victorian detective says there was no "real perceived urgency" to arrest Greg Anderson in the days before he murdered his son.

Detective Senior Constable Andrew Cocking said Luke's mother, Rosie Batty, had given him Anderson's latest address two days before the 54-year-old killed Luke Batty.

But she asked the detective not to make it obvious she had given the information to police.

Det Sen Const Cocking told the inquest into Luke's death on Friday he feared Anderson would have "put two and two together" if he arrested him immediately after speaking to Ms Batty.

"There was no real perceived urgency in this matter," he said.

"It's important to do jobs right and not in a rushed manner, especially this one."

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/10/24/no-urgency-arrest-luke-battys-father-police

A VIDEO of killer dad Greg Anderson lashing out at police has been played at the inquest into his son’s death.

Rosie Batty became tearful as video of her abusive ex-partner was shown, displaying for the first time his lack of regard for authority and abusive temperament.

Ms Batty became visibly distressed and started crying and shaking as the video of Anderson, who repeatedly abused her over a number of years before killing Luke, was played in court.

Two lawyers moved to console Ms Batty as she held her head in her hands and seemed unable to continue to watch her son’s killer.

The interview was filmed after police arrested Anderson for threatening to kill Ms Batty in January 2013.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...an-tells-inquest/story-fni0fee2-1227099566794

There are 3 fantastic videos in this article.
Greg Anderson is a bomb ready to explode, it just agitated him more when the police quizzed him about being at Rosie's property.

The first is of Anderson and there is an audio of Rosie at her wits end trying to reason with police.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...an-tells-inquest/story-fni0fee2-1227099566794

I divorced one like this, vivid reminder, if you ever meet another one like this run, don't look back.

There are 3 fantastic videos in this article.
Greg Anderson is a bomb ready to explode, it just agitated him more when the police quizzed him about being at Rosie's property.

The first is of Anderson and there is an audio of Rosie at her wits end trying to reason with police.

I divorced one like this, vivid reminder, if you ever meet another one like this run, don't look back.

I am SO sorry to hear that you had to live with someone like this, TGY. :hug: Good advice, there.

I dunno what to think of the police statements re 'urgency' above. If they'd been a bit more effing urgent about dealing with a clearly unhinged and dangerous Anderson, I'm pretty surepoor Luke would be alive today.

There NEEDS to be some kind of law put in place that allows lengthy sentences and even enforced psych treatment for people who make repeated threats to other people's lives. How many victims of domestic violence live in terror... but keep the peace, because they feel that's safer than going through police and courts. As things are, sometimes it probably IS.

I just think there could be more done to help families in this kind of distress, *before* someone gets murdered.

I am SO sorry to hear that you had to live with someone like this, TGY. :hug: Good advice, there.

I dunno what to think of the police statements re 'urgency' above. If they'd been a bit more effing urgent about dealing with a clearly unhinged and dangerous Anderson, I'm pretty surepoor Luke would be alive today.

There NEEDS to be some kind of law put in place that allows lengthy sentences and even enforced psych treatment for people who make repeated threats to other people's lives. How many victims of domestic violence live in terror... but keep the peace, because they feel that's safer than going through police and courts. As things are, sometimes it probably IS.

I just think there could be more done to help families in this kind of distress, *before* someone gets murdered.

The problem with AVO's is as soon as he/she is released from the police station they need to confront the person who is in fear for their life.
Many times an AVO is going to poke the wild hornets nest and you guessed it, within hours they will walking through the door, furious and worse than ever before.

Exactly, TGY.. the AVO's tend to work best on the most rational offenders. But when they're not... well, a piece of paper doesn't shield you from much does it, and it only takes that one episode of rage while they're wandering about scot free.... Sometimes I feel like the law does -way- more to protect the rights of violent people than it does to protect their victims. :( WHY do women and kids have to move away from their homes and communities, for example, in some cases many times over, out of fear for their lives when jailing the person threatening them would remove the chance of anyone being killed? That's no way for anyone to live. It's all a bit backwards, IMO.

eta: and spot on, re the "need" to confront their victims, punish them for speaking up etc. Aggressive offenders like that need to be identified quick smart and dealt with as special cases by the courts.

Greg Anderson was running rings around the police with his *rights* and all the police could do is be as polite and courteous as possible. This is sickening to me. What ever happened to the 'good old No. 9 up the
kyber'!

Look at the vids we've seen & how convincing these physycopaths are because they actually believe they are right.
BEFORE the AVO is set the family in fear should be protected before the perp is released.
I imagine Greg Anderson would have considered killing Rosie but realized killing Luke would hurt Rosie the most.
Absolutely evil, cowardly and premeditated.

Detective breaks down giving evidence into Luke Batty’s death

October 28, 2014

A VETERAN detective has broken down while giving evidence at the inquest into Luke Batty’s death.

Detective Leading Senior Constable Deborah Charteris, a 40 year veteran, told the inquest today she thought of Luke every day.

“I feel desperately sorry for Rosemary (Batty), she was a very, very loving protective mother,” she said.

“I have gone over and over in my head a thousand times if I could have done things differently.

“I can reassure myself I did all the right things. But then Luke died and I’m very sorry Rosemary.”

Wiping away tears Detective Charteris apologised directly to Ms Batty, who was also moved to tears.

http://www.news.com.au/national/vic...uke-battys-death/story-fnii5sms-1227104745670

Rosie Batty dedicates Victorian Australian of the Year award to son

Rosie Batty says her son Luke would be proud and a little embarrassed by his mum receiving the Victorian Australian of the Year Award.

"As an 11, 12-year-old boy, he would be embarrassed and say `mum it's not a good look' ... it's not X Factor or Australian Idol," she said in a lighter moment after receiving the award.

But she was a popular winner at a reception in Melbourne on Tuesday night, judging by the standing ovation and minute-long applause she received when her name was announced.

http://www.9news.com.au/National/2014/10/28/04/59/Rosie-Batty-on-Vic-Aust-of-the-Year-list

Rosie Batty dedicates Victorian Australian of the Year award to son

Rosie Batty says her son Luke would be proud and a little embarrassed by his mum receiving the Victorian Australian of the Year Award.

"As an 11, 12-year-old boy, he would be embarrassed and say `mum it's not a good look' ... it's not X Factor or Australian Idol," she said in a lighter moment after receiving the award.

But she was a popular winner at a reception in Melbourne on Tuesday night, judging by the standing ovation and minute-long applause she received when her name was announced.

http://www.9news.com.au/National/2014/10/28/04/59/Rosie-Batty-on-Vic-Aust-of-the-Year-list

Congratulations, Rosie, I cried tears of happiness for you.

Psychologist warned mother Rosie that Luke Batty was at risk, inquest told

A PSYCHOLOGIST who treated Rosie Batty the year before her son was killed says she warned that the boy was at “high risk” of being harmed by his *father, but Ms Batty was “adamant” the relationship should continue.

Jan Heath said she had picked up “red flags” during the nine sessions she had with Ms Batty and considered notifying child protection services about Luke’s relationship with his *father, Greg Anderson. The inquest investigating the circumstances leading to Anderson murdering Luke yesterday heard that Ms Batty sent Dr Heath a text message after Luke’s death, thanking her for a condolence card and saying: “I haven’t forgotten the warnings you gave me.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...isk-inquest-told/story-e6frg6nf-1227107654066

Luke Batty feared his father would kill him, inquest into his death hears

Murdered schoolboy Luke Batty had been afraid his father would kill him, a child protection worker has told the coronial inquest into his death.

Victoria's Department of Human Services (DHS) has defended its handling of the case of the 11-year-old, killed in February at the Tyabb cricket ground by his father, Greg Anderson.

Murdered schoolboy Luke Batty had been afraid his father would kill him, a child protection worker has told the coronial inquest into his death.

Victoria's Department of Human Services (DHS) has defended its handling of the case of the 11-year-old, killed in February at the Tyabb cricket ground by his father, Greg Anderson.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-30/luke-batty-feared-for-his-life-coroners-inquest-hears/5854704

Because we all know that DHS never, ever mess thing up. Right? amirite? :no:

Tracie Portelli told an inquest that she was called in to meet Luke last year, after he told his mother that Anderson had threatened him with a knife when they were alone.

She said Luke was clearly worried about his father, and told her that he thought in that moment Anderson would kill him.

But she told the inquest that she closed the file six months before Luke was killed because she believed his fear stemmed from having recently watched a horror movie.

"I don't feel it was a threat," Ms Portelli said.

"I feel it was just a comment he made, with a knife, in the car."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-30/luke-batty-feared-for-his-life-coroners-inquest-hears/5854704

^ Why, on hearing a child had his life threatened with a knife, did nobody have his father charged with something serious and put away?

Who would not look at that seriously?

"We locked the doors... we had a baseball bat in one bedroom, we had a baseball bat in another bedroom," Ms Batty said.

"This is what I was living with. The police were telling me we can't be there in time if he wants to kill you... perhaps you should consider moving back to England.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-...ey-could-not-protect-her-luke-inquest/5829676

The answer to domestic violence here is: leave the country? :facepalm:

I meant to add to my comment above - I can understand a woman in fear for her life (Rosie always believed she was the target of Anderson's rage, not Luke) who has been so consistently let down by the law as far as protection from violence goes, hesitating to take steps in case they didn't pan out -- again -- and just led to more violence.

I cannot understand social workers and judges, people with a lot more power than Rosie in that situation, NOT doing all they could to make sure Anderson was locked up. People paralysed with fear, who can't trust that help will come when needed, cannot always make the logical choices that someone outside of it all can.

I feel sorry for Rosie, and for the police powerless to help her. Not so much the social worker. There's monumentally crap ones out Frankston way, along with the good. I know that for a fact, first hand. Utterly hopeless and in some cases, in need of serious help themselves. I think the system out that way is so horribly burdened and difficult to handle that they'll just hire anyone. Mixed bag. And I've seen kids suffer because of it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966
Back