GUILTY Australia - Lynette Dawson, 34, Sydney, Jan 1982 *Arrest* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to being everyone down but I don't have a good feeling about the verdict outcome :(

I think that there is plenty of evidence for a conviction. Some of the more damning evidence includes the notes in her mom's book about PD making a lovely drink for Lyn the night before she disappeared; witness testimony of PD slamming Lyn into a doorframe; witness testimony that Lyn was upset because her husband wanted her disappeared; all the evidence that PD knew Lyn wasn't coming back, including giving Lyn's clothes to JC, giving her jewelry to JC, cashing in the life insurance, and moving JC into the marital bed; cancelling the painting of his daughters; witness testimony of bruises on Lyn's neck; the unlikely story about dropping Lyn off at the bus station when there were no buses running at that time ...

These are just a few things that jump out. And this is without taking into consideration anything that JC said in her testimony. I expect much of that testimony will not be relied upon in order to reach a verdict.

What significant evidence am I missing?

Not to being everyone down but I don't have a good feeling about the verdict outcome :(
The only people other than Chris who argue he didn't do it are Peter, Paul and Marilyn Dawson. Everyone else, including the two coroners, think Chris killed Lyn. It is just a matter of whether there is enough evidence there to convince Ian Harrison beyond a reasonable doubt.

Should Chris Dawson be found guilty, you can bet your life savings he will appeal the decision.

I think that there is plenty of evidence for a conviction. Some of the more damning evidence includes the notes in her mom's book about PD making a lovely drink for Lyn the night before she disappeared; witness testimony of PD slamming Lyn into a doorframe; witness testimony that Lyn was upset because her husband wanted her disappeared; all the evidence that PD knew Lyn wasn't coming back, including giving Lyn's clothes to JC, giving her jewelry to JC, cashing in the life insurance, and moving JC into the marital bed; cancelling the painting of his daughters; witness testimony of bruises on Lyn's neck; the unlikely story about dropping Lyn off at the bus station when there were no buses running at that time ...

These are just a few things that jump out. And this is without taking into consideration anything that JC said in her testimony. I expect much of that testimony will not be relied upon in order to reach a verdict.

sounds solid to me. :cool:

If Chris Dawson is found guilty he will have no hope of ever seeing the light of day again unless he leads the authorities to Lyn's body. Fingers crossed Lyn's family get justice on both counts.I fI
I'm feeling like I'm holding my breath until the verdict. I hope it goes the way I think it should.
Keeping everything crossed.

Well I do have a good feeling about it, if that's any comfort! I just think that 5 weeks' of deliberation is relatively quick in a case like this, especially if that time has included the judge writing it all out properly. It makes me believe that he didn't have too much trouble deciding who to believe. Which leads me to hope that he is as smart as we are! :)

I can wait that long. Just..

Either way, Dawson has lost his position in the community, and his 3rd marriage as well. And, I imagine, although not guaranteed, the respect of his 3 daughters, who are victims in every sense of the word under these circumstances, and especially Lynn's daughters , victims from a very early age, nailed to the cross of Dawson's ego for life. Indescribable damage done to them.

Jo ann.. another victim ... hard to believe , but she is as much as Mrs Dawson #3. All these women were props and lamp posts for Dawson to lean on and to stroke his ego perpetually. No woman could have done that.

I am ambivalent about Marilyn, she played such a huge role of wifey whisperer , and not positively about Lynn.. But she has had to prop up her husbands twin and her husband...not an easy job.

And Dawson. He has not ,all things considered, profited from any of this. In the long run, he will be a broken man, financially ruined, psychologically frail and miserable unto his last days. Is that enough?

I think there was defence against the life insurance policy by Marilyn testifying that she didn't sign it. There was evidence from the initial interview where she she said I don't think I would have signed it. The judge would have to decide who he believes.

The evidence is all circumstantial so the judge has to decide whether the circumstances add up to murder.

For me, if I had any doubts at all before the trial, the fact that the bus had left 3 hours before was the real clincher.

'cashing in the life insurance'

This , to me, allied with the usage of Lynn's bankcard is the trump card, really.

It is solid evidence of fraud, particularly the life insurance policy. 'Bang to rights' to use an east London phrase.

In that one act, all of Dawson is laid bare , no disguise, it's pure raw Dawson. Getting M to sign it, she knows she signed it, getting her to keep quiet about it for decades, collecting the money, spending the money, moving on to the next fraud.

He had no capacity to wait. He had to be gratified with that money instantly, even though it was such a dangerous and ridiculous thing to do, he could have waited years, but he did not , and does not have the mental character to do it. It's all bound up with his disdain and disrespect for Lynn, he would have convinced himself that Lynn owed the money to him!..

He had the motive, he had the opportunity, and he benefited the most from her "disappearance".

Unless Lyn really did a Harold Holt... Who else could have disappeared her forever?

Well .. That's why he did not want jurors like us. Common people have common sense. A jury would not have taken 5 hours for a verdict.

MOO

Episode 16 Save the Date is out now. I haven't listened to it yet but there may be some of the questions answered.
Chris will be there without his barrister Pauline David as she is now a district court judge.

Episode 16 Save the Date is out now. I haven't listened to it yet but there may be some of the questions answered.
Chris will be there without his barrister Pauline David as she is now a district court judge.

They discussed the questions, "Who was watching the kids? Would Lyn have left the kids alone in the house while the two adults drove to the bus stop so Lyn could go shopping"?

Some good questions were covered in Episode 16. A few of which I think should have been raised by the prosecution but it appears weren't.
The letter to Pat from Helena confirmed a question I had although never asked about how long the kids were at Helena's place and that was they were picked up on the Sunday. The interesting thing I found was that the kids spent the next 2 weeks at Shoalhaven with Chris's parents Syd and Joan who also had Peter's kids at the time. A lot could have happened in those 2 weeks without the kids knowing.

7 sleeps!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member