GUILTY Australia - Lynette Dawson, 34, Sydney, Jan 1982 *Arrest* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some good questions were covered in Episode 16. A few of which I think should have been raised by the prosecution but it appears weren't.
I wonder if the reports we heard on The Teacher's Trial, included all the evidence, or if there were details that we haven't been given. Because of the nature of the podcasts, I suspect that we don't know everything that was presented in court. The podcasts seemed to focus on developing thematic aspects of the trial. Therefore, I believe that there could be further evidence that we don't know yet.

On the other hand, trials are notoriously time consuming as evidence is presented, so maybe we've heard all that there was.

Perhaps we will know more when the judge gives his findings.

I'm in Canada. I don't know how to count the sleeps, heh! :)

The letter to Pat from Helena confirmed a question I had although never asked about how long the kids were at Helena's place and that was they were picked up on the Sunday. The interesting thing I found was that the kids spent the next 2 weeks at Shoalhaven with Chris's parents Syd and Joan who also had Peter's kids at the time. A lot could have happened in those 2 weeks without the kids knowing.

7 sleeps!!!
I was thinking the exact same thing. 14 days less all the kids and Marilyn, who clearly knows her place, was never going to be any kind of hurdle.

I wonder if the reports we heard on The Teacher's Trial, included all the evidence, or if there were details that we haven't been given. Because of the nature of the podcasts, I suspect that we don't know everything that was presented in court. The podcasts seemed to focus on developing thematic aspects of the trial. Therefore, I believe that there could be further evidence that we don't know yet.

On the other hand, trials are notoriously time consuming as evidence is presented, so maybe we've heard all that there was.

The judge's findings, guilty or otherwise, will make for riveting listening/reading.

Never mind counting the sleeps. I'm sure we will be all over it on the 30th right here.

The 30th is your 29th. Depending on whether you are on the West or the judge announces the verdict before or after the reason for the decision it could be a late night for you.

Lyn Dawson's remains, no matter how old, might help illuminate the circumstances of her disappearance. But the fact no body has been discovered doesn't mean there can be no definitive legal conclusion about her fate.

All police were able to come up with, during different phases of the investigation into Lynette Dawson through Operation Luzon and its offspring Task Force Scriven was inconclusive blood traces and an allegedly knife-slashed cardigan.

No remains of Lynette Dawson have ever been found, but blood was extracted from the Dawson house and a knife-slashed pink cardigan (above) was dug up by the pool, although it had no DNA

Lyn Dawson's remains, no matter how old, might help illuminate the circumstances of her disappearance. But the fact no body has been discovered doesn't mean there can be no definitive legal conclusion about her fate.

All police were able to come up with, during different phases of the investigation into Lynette Dawson through Operation Luzon and its offspring Task Force Scriven was inconclusive blood traces and an allegedly knife-slashed cardigan.

No remains of Lynette Dawson have ever been found, but blood was extracted from the Dawson house and a knife-slashed pink cardigan (above) was dug up by the pool, although it had no DNA
Candace Sutton co-wrote this article in 2003. It is 19 years old. Sometimes they disappear after posting them here.

5 sleeps in Australia/4 if you have just gotten up in Canada.

Any way you look at it, the reason Lyn disappeared was because of Chris.
The Judge has 3 options...guilty, not guilty or there's not enough evidence to be 'beyond reasonable doubt' either way, which would also be not guilty.

Whilst I'm hopeful of of a guilty verdict, i really do think there is enough evidence to be 'beyond reasonable doubt' that CD is guilty.
A part of the trial i found most compelling was how weak the reasoning was by the defence as to why Lyn was completely silent to everyone that knew her and loved her, after her disappearance. They offered no plausible reasoning in my mind.

One thing that we don't really know in this trial, since its a judge only trial, are the directions in law that need to be applied to the evidence. If the trial was being decided by a jury, we'd know what these directions are.

Last edited:
Re time difference between Australia and Canada, Australia is ahead in hours, by 14 hours.
(changes with daylight saving which we aren't in right now)

As the day approaches, maybe we could mention what time it is right now, in New South Wales time so our members outside Australia can have a better idea of exactly what day and time the verdict will be annouced. Though nothing has been said about a time for announcement, just the day.

Re time difference between Australia and Canada, Australia is ahead in hours, by 14 hours.
(changes with daylight saving which we aren't in right now)

As the day approaches, maybe we could mention what time it is right now, in New South Wales time so our members outside Australia can have a better idea of exactly what day and time the verdict will be annouced. Though nothing has been said about a time for announcement, just the day.
According to court listing search, the start time will be 10am Aug 30, but court room is yet to be assigned.

Online Registry - Landing Page

Did we know about blood evidence in the house??

I have a headcold so ...not trusting my memory.

Looking at the pictures in the linked above article toots posted here I still can not fathom the cruel mental abuse thrown at Lyn by Dawson about looks etc.

The side by sides of Lyn with her baby compared to Joanne and her baby....
Not dizzing Joanne at all...she is not the issue here want to make that clear.

But Lyn was so put together, stylish and making it all happen for them and then Joanne looks frumpy and child like herself with no world experience beams through compared to lyn.

It defies my comprehension that a beautiful classy worldy tolerant get things done established woman such as lyns competition was a child with nothing going for her and again I am not dizzing Joanne I feel for her greatly but she knows its the truth.
Joanne didn't come from class money or a loving supportive home. She wasn't given the tools to navigate her bestest self.
Immature, average looking (each totheir own there) and no life experience.
Except for one thing........free open minded sexual activity.

How terribly sad and pathetic Lyns death is.

moo

just adding...think of my post from Dawsons head. Not placing blame at Joanne for clarity.

Any chance the verdict will be live streamed ??
There is no regulatory requirement for judge to do so, but it often happens, NSW Supreme Court is not against this procedure. ( Trials are not televised here in AU, which I think is a retrograde step and should be gazetted as normal and expected ) so it follows that the verdict and sentencing is not televised. Victorian courts often do a voice presentation, and NSW does this every now and then.

It comes down to the degree of public interest the court adjudges is out there. In this case, that degree is high and most likely WILL result in a televised verdict and sentencing broadcast. Most likely does not mean will, though..

I found this from June this year.

Somehow it hadn't lodged in my mind about finding any traces of blood in the house ?

Det Poole and his team sniffed out blood in the Bayview home using a police dog, but this too was inconclusive.

I also don't recall the use of a "blood detecting dog" when the search and dig of the pool and area took place.

The new search at the home involved a radar examination of the grounds, including the swimming pool where some believed her remains may be buried, reports say; police also drained the property's septic tank and brought in a blood-detection dog.
They used earth-drilling machinery to break up the soil between the front of the house and the pool, which was then sifted through for any traces of remains or evidence.

I have a headcold so ...not trusting my memory.

Looking at the pictures in the linked above article toots posted here I still can not fathom the cruel mental abuse thrown at Lyn by Dawson about looks etc.

The side by sides of Lyn with her baby compared to Joanne and her baby....
Not dizzing Joanne at all...she is not the issue here want to make that clear.

But Lyn was so put together, stylish and making it all happen for them and then Joanne looks frumpy and child like herself with no world experience beams through compared to lyn.

It defies my comprehension that a beautiful classy worldy tolerant get things done established woman such as lyns competition was a child with nothing going for her and again I am not dizzing Joanne I feel for her greatly but she knows its the truth.
Joanne didn't come from class money or a loving supportive home. She wasn't given the tools to navigate her bestest self.
Immature, average looking (each totheir own there) and no life experience.
Except for one thing........free open minded sexual activity.

How terribly sad and pathetic Lyns death is.

moo

just adding...think of my post from Dawsons head. Not placing blame at Joanne for clarity.
I think this might have been about Paint looking like blood in Paul and Marilyn's house. At least that was the gist of things from the staged Telephone Taps.

I was thinking the exact same thing. 14 days less all the kids and Marilyn, who clearly knows her place, was never going to be any kind of hurdle.

Oh my. Lyn is never going to be found, is she. Were both CD and brother PD on holidays from work during those two weeks? If so, they could have spent a great deal of time making sure Lyn would never be found. But wasn't JC with CD at that time? I can't remember the details. Can someone enlighten me please about where CD and PD were during those two weeks?

Oh my. Lyn is never going to be found, is she. Were both CD and brother PD on holidays from work during those two weeks? If so, they could have spent a great deal of time making sure Lyn would never be found. But wasn't JC with CD at that time? I can't remember the details. Can someone enlighten me please about where CD and PD were during those two weeks?
I would like to know of any trips out to sea, or anywhere where there is a large enough body of water, like a lake or a dam.

Look at all the bodies starting to be found at Lake Mead in the US.

Lyn's body could be weighted down somewhere :(

As school teachers in Australia, they would have been on Term Break from late December to late January. They may have had some part time work at the baths or on the garbage trucks over the summer break, but would have been on break from their primary jobs. Being identical they could been quite illusive and duplicitous.

I found this from June this year.

Somehow it hadn't lodged in my mind about finding any traces of blood in the house ?

Det Poole and his team sniffed out blood in the Bayview home using a police dog, but this too was inconclusive.
It is possible that there were no blood traces related to this situation. If Lyn was incapacitated from her "lovely drink", it would not take much for someone who is very strong, with a propensity for aggressive outbursts and holding women by the throat, to ensure that she never breathe again. Quiet, no forensic evidence, efficient. My hope is that the "lovely drink" may have helped her pass without pain or full knowledge of what was happening. May she be at peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henrypaul