Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, Jun 1997 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must be the opposite, I find Reddit, bafflling and confusing. I can never read there for long.

I've tried to follow topics, but they just seem to vanish into nowhere, though it's said there are more posts.

It's always a relief to get back here, on WS

Plus some of the threads had people viciously attacking others and many posts had been there for ages.

I think we're lucky that we have WS.

It's a whole nother world out there, dog eat dog I suppose, filled with aggresive people.

I love WS but sometimes I wish it was a bit more like Reddit where we could more easily break things down into topics. I get so lost in the thread and constantly find things I want to comment on and then misplace them in the reams of text, or comments that have a lot of value just get swallowed up and never discussed.

I must be the opposite, I find Reddit, bafflling and confusing. I can never read there for long.

I've tried to follow topics, but they just seem to vanish into nowhere, though it's said there are more posts.

It's always a relief to get back here, on WS

Plus some of the threads had people viciously attacking others and many posts had been there for ages.

I think we're lucky that we have WS.

It's a whole nother world out there, dog eat dog I suppose, filled with aggresive people.
Oh, I agree! I literally just meant in terms of grouping topics, not reddit itself. Reddit scares me, and I looked on the TLV thread there a while ago and it seems to be dead.

It's not just the aggresive tone of the place, it's how the whole thing is set out.

It just doesn't make sense to me and I can never find what I'm interested in.

Oh, I agree! I literally just meant in terms of grouping topics, not reddit itself. Reddit scares me, and I looked on the TLV thread there a while ago and it seems to be dead.

I don't know where I saw it now, I was in the middle of a major multiple search engine blitz, looking for anything new re Marion.

Anyway it's said that the Lady Vanishes, The Inquest Part 5 will be up "before the weekend ends".

Ah ha, I get it now ... just looked at a full copy of the letter about the scales, it's not a glitter designed hotel, haha, the letter is broken into four numbered sections, so it's "old fashioned rooms and yummy breakfasts" , and "teddy bears with glitter designs" :) .... haha, will stop looking for a glitter designed hotel in Tunbridge Wells, but the "quaint little hotel offering old fashioned rooms" still stands. That's funny, I can see how there was confusion with photos out there of only the right half of the letter :) I was having a hard time finding glittery rooms ..... hee hee :rolleyes::rolleyes:
letter.png

Teddy Bears with glitter designs.
Wouldn't that help to narrow it down. I bet that's something that people might remember.

I've never actually stayed anywhere that provided a teddy bear.
I'm making an assumption that there may have been a glittery teddy bear on the guests beds.

I was reading on the missing person Marion Barter fb page and a couple of conversations about a cult called "Cult of the family". Someone claims that the leader an Australian woman has a centre in Tunbridge Wells. It then jumbles into a conversation about flutterbys cafe which is a different group.

About – The Cult of The Family

Teddy Bears with glitter designs.
Wouldn't that help to narrow it down. I bet that's something that people might remember.

I've never actually stayed anywhere that provided a teddy bear.
I'm making an assumption that there may have been a glittery teddy bear on the guests beds.
Haha, no, the teddy bears with the glitter designs are for Sally to return to TSS, if you follow the numbers on the full letter it makes more sense.:) Some photos of the letter are only showing that right half Tootsie, so it looked like it was all continuous making it pretty confusing if you didn't see the other half.

It says Anne Hamilton meets English physicist and writer Dr Raynor Johnson. After a bit more sleuthing the cult did own property near Tunbridge Wells including a Tudor House called Broom Farm in Kent, an unknown house in Crowborough and another in Redhill. I have been unable link Marion with this Australian cult. However the FB comment is certainly intriguing now we know more. The Family (Australia) – WRSP

Last edited:
I just found this about the cult of family I mentioned and it says that one of the founders previously spent time in and around Tunbridge Wells.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210708-084923_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210708-084923_Chrome.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I’m in the Mr R holds the key (possibly literally) camp. I reaffirmed that by watching again the video of the Luxembourg trip made by Sally etc on FB. I’ve never bought into the Sect theory.

However The Family also known as the Great White Brotherhood is interesting and ticks a number of boxes. Langton Green in Tun Wells is a stone’s throw from The Pantiles if this sect had a large property and grounds there. An Australian woman is the guru.

Reading the article Unseen Unheard Unknown by Sarah Moore which can be viewed online the similarities in what happened to Marion are very noticeable. Just look at the people they targeted and how they managed to get them to change identity.

Reading it I began to wonder if Marion could have been used as a mule to bring some young children over from Australia? Sounds silly but why so much luggage and reluctance to be dropped off at the airport? Was this the reason for the rush to leave Australia as she wasn’t orchestrating it?

To me there is far more to this line of enquiry than Scientology.

I love WS but sometimes I wish it was a bit more like Reddit where we could more easily break things down into topics. I get so lost in the thread and constantly find things I want to comment on and then misplace them in the reams of text, or comments that have a lot of value just get swallowed up and never discussed. :p

I agree, I keep looking for things I know I've read and can't find them.

I was trying to find all the letters and postcards and can only find:

Part of the letter on Narita Hotel, Japan paper, but some info is cut off.
The Alfriston Postcard, transcription only - not the actual postcard.
A transcription of a postcard which begins "Dearest sister and family..."

Could somebody please help me find the others?

I would be most grateful. :)

It's not just the aggresive tone of the place, it's how the whole thing is set out.

It just doesn't make sense to me and I can never find what I'm interested in.
if you choose "go to old Reddit" (or words to that effect) I find the layout much more readable. The "new" layout, which is actually a few years old now, is to me completely unreadable.

Edit: I've been away so long I've forgotten how to quote and reply.

What I meant to write was this: "Same here. I'm a long time Redditor and I still prefer the old version. I haven't posted here on WS for ages. I was obsessed with the case for a while and I was here often. I'm not going anywhere near the Facebook page, learned my lesson there"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member