Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, Jun 1997

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all caught up now on episodes so won't ask any more annoying questions! ;)

I tend to think that the TSS abuse (as terribly horrific as it is for the victims) is a red herring. I don't know that it really has much to do with the case except for perhaps being one factor in helping Marion decide the time was right to leave because it can't have been a very nice working environment.

My gut leans towards the theory that there was a man involved. Whether this is Mr Remakel or not - not sure. Either he lured her into a cult type situation and she withdrew the money to help fund that new life, contributing financially to the group etc. I think this was the man seen in the car at the petrol pumps.

Or I do think there's a chance she met with foul play and the person withdrawing the funds wasn't Marion but someone else involved with this 'man', either himself or a female accomplice.

I don't find it odd that she hasn't touched her super. I think she'd think it was too risky to try and access that in the years she would have become eligible because she would have known it would have been a clue to her whereabouts.

The three day visit mentioned on the arrivals card is another red herring I think. As has been mentioned, these cards aren't verified even to this day. You can really write whatever you want on them. My friend makes up different crazy job titles every time she writes on one (I'm in NZ so Australia is a very common destination to travel to). I would say that Marion/Florabella randomly wrote three days down on the card just as an arbitrary number to write down. I don't think three days holds any meaning. It is very curious though - the Luxembourg/Remakel connections already mentioned upthread.

I think it's likely she's using Natalia or another name, highly unlikely she stuck with Florabella, way too different if she was trying to stay under the radar.

All of this is my opinion and speculation only.

Cannot WAIT until episode 10. I do try not to treat any true crime cases as entertainment because it is distasteful but the producers/presenters of this one have really done a brilliant job at building suspense so I can't help it!

Hi everyone, i'm new to this thread but not new to this case. I have been following the podcast etc avidly. I have had quite a bit of time on my hands lately at work and decided to help the team (as I knew they were in Europe) by tracking down a woman on facebook who had posted about a possible sighting in Byron Bay after seeing the Women's Weekly Aus article. With some luck, it didn't take me long and she phoned me yesterday. I planned to just pass her details onto Sally but this woman was very chatty and wanted to tell me everything. It sounds like a genuine lead which is very exciting but at the same time she doesn't want to get anyone's hopes up. For the past 15 or so years she has owned a business in Byron Bay (opposite the comm bank believe it or not) and see's this lady almost weekly. She fits Marion's description and is very reclusive. She is often seen having coffee by herself next door and appears quite mentally and physically unwell. She shies away from anyone asking personal questions. The business owner has never found out this lady's name but even her husband agreed it could be Marion before they made contact. This lady has stood out to them as she has never once bought anything in their shop but always asks odd things like "can you measure this item for me"? etc. She said to me, it stuck out to her in the article as she would definitely describe her as eccentric! It suddenly occurred to me that perhaps mental illness is playing a huge role in this mystery. I don't want to speculate but even the women's weekly article mentioned in the time before she disappeared Maron was "acting like she had a nervous breakdown." Even though she sounded fine on the phone to Sally etc, perhaps that wasn't really the case, people can cover things well. Just something I have been thinking about anyway. I have passed all the details on obviously, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. No CCTV in the business but it sounds like she is seen around town fairly regularly.

Hi everyone, i'm new to this thread but not new to this case. I have been following the podcast etc avidly. I have had quite a bit of time on my hands lately at work and decided to help the team (as I knew they were in Europe) by tracking down a woman on facebook who had posted about a possible sighting in Byron Bay after seeing the Women's Weekly Aus article. With some luck, it didn't take me long and she phoned me yesterday. I planned to just pass her details onto Sally but this woman was very chatty and wanted to tell me everything. It sounds like a genuine lead which is very exciting but at the same time she doesn't want to get anyone's hopes up. For the past 15 or so years she has owned a business in Byron Bay (opposite the comm bank believe it or not) and see's this lady almost weekly. She fits Marion's description and is very reclusive. She is often seen having coffee by herself next door and appears quite mentally and physically unwell. She shies away from anyone asking personal questions. The business owner has never found out this lady's name but even her husband agreed it could be Marion before they made contact. This lady has stood out to them as she has never once bought anything in their shop but always asks odd things like "can you measure this item for me"? etc. She said to me, it stuck out to her in the article as she would definitely describe her as eccentric! It suddenly occurred to me that perhaps mental illness is playing a huge role in this mystery. I don't want to speculate but even the women's weekly article mentioned in the time before she disappeared Maron was "acting like she had a nervous breakdown." Even though she sounded fine on the phone to Sally etc, perhaps that wasn't really the case, people can cover things well. Just something I have been thinking about anyway. I have passed all the details on obviously, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. No CCTV in the business but it sounds like she is seen around town fairly regularly.
Thanks so much for sharing the info here - look forward to hearing about it on an episode soon hopefully! That's great work on your part. It definitely sounds like a promising lead.

Thank you. I'm not normally much of a sleuth but this case has really got to me. Mainly because the police are being so bloody useless and I really feel for Sally and what has been her one man army for so many years.
There's no doubt in my mind that if one business in Byron sees this woman regularly then others will know her. It hopefully shouldn't take the team long to rule her out.

One more point that has been on my mind. Detective Gary corrected Brian I think it was for his mispronounciation of Remakel in one of the early episodes. How does Gary know how it's pronounced? Literally no one else in the country has this surname. It really made me wonder if he knows more

One more point that has been on my mind. Detective Gary corrected Brian I think it was for his mispronounciation of Remakel in one of the early episodes. How does Gary know how it's pronounced? Literally no one else in the country has this surname. It really made me wonder if he knows more
Right! Great catch.

As for the witness protection theory. I highly doubt the police higher up then Gary would authorise and spend the money on a cadaver dog search in armidale etc if Marion was in protection. Not sure why it can't be 100% ruled out by nswp.

But what if some how she was linked to drug crimes in QLD of which the cops were corrupt and were investigated in 1997. The organised crime syndicates used pilots to fly in drugs- so possible link there. She may have found out something she would rather not and went to ground by herself. Or if she was in protection it may not have been well known because police had crime links in Qld.

I linked the investigation to the police further up- it was published in September 1997.

How interesting! Does the woman wear old fashioned clothes/ ‘little house on the prairie’ style? Ofcourse this happens when Sally is in the uk! What are the chances haha! Keep us posted and thanks for posting!

I have read up more on the police corruption at Southport - one of the long term corrupt cops Mick Featherstone had a son that went to TSS who is also being charged with his latest crime - it’s been in the papers recently along with Daniel Webb from Married at First Site.
The son also arrested is a bit to young to have been taught by Marion but from the looks of family photos he may well have an old enough big brother.

The Great Australian Investment Ponzi: Conman Michael "Mick" Featherstone under investigation

This details this crooked QLD cops dodgy ways being forced to retire from the police in 1997 after the corruption investigation operation Lime of which the documentation states someone was put in witness protection.

He was accused of stitching people up, missing drug money and forming close ties with outlaw motor cycle gangs.

His son who did well at swimming made the papers in 2007 for swimming for TSS as a twelve year old.

How interesting! Does the woman wear old fashioned clothes/ ‘little house on the prairie’ style? Ofcourse this happens when Sally is in the uk! What are the chances haha! Keep us posted and thanks for posting!

I didn't ask what she wore but she said she fits the description of the ww article except she has long grey curly hair not short like the age progression pic. She also has like an untreated wound on her leg for awhile

Hi everyone,

My first time posting here, I’ve been following the case for awhile now and it’s definitely got me gripped.
Can someone remind me, did Sally locate or know the bank managers name at the commbank in Bryon? I remember she put a call out but can’t remember if she knew his name?.
If so can someone let me know what it was?. I may have a lead if she hasn’t already found this...

Hi everyone,

My first time posting here, I’ve been following the case for awhile now and it’s definitely got me gripped.
Can someone remind me, did Sally locate or know the bank managers name at the commbank in Bryon? I remember she put a call out but can’t remember if she knew his name?.
If so can someone let me know what it was?. I may have a lead if she hasn’t already found this...
I have seen someone on facebook mention the bank manager's name in 1997 but it was in a comment somewhere. I'm sure Sally has written it down.

Episode ten is out!

As we all felt here, the monsieur remakel personal ad tip seems like a very solid lead for sally and the producers too.

I found it interesting that when sally was speaking to the shop workers in England and showing them the picture of her mum, she refers to her as Marion without mentioning the name florabella which she may have been using on her trip. Perhaps sally did say that name too but they edited that part out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseHase