Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, Jun 1997

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Super is still sitting there.
So if the coroner does investigate, and declare it likely that Marion has passed away, it is the super that will go to Sally. Which is as it should be- perfectly normal to inherit from your parents, it just sparked a little red flag when in the podcast it was stated that there was nothing to inherit.

Kelliepat, do you by any chance know where Marion studied? Armidale or Wagga Wagga?

Among unidentified skeletal remains awaiting testing in the NSW Bone room includes remains found in Armidale:
Inside the Bone Room: The hidden collection of human remains in Australia's busiest morgue - In The Loop

I cant find any information as to when or where these remains were found. It may well have been before the 90's, ruling Marion out. There is a prominent missing person in Armidale, believed to have been murdered with his remains buried somewhere nearby, but he has never been found. Billy Roach, he has a thread here. Apparently he was adopted, with an unidentified biological family, making dna testing impossible, but he could be ruled out if the remains were female.

Hi Mandycandy, welcome!

Do you happen to remember any payment details from TSS? Could you nominate which account your pay went into, or did their pay office work with a specific bank, ie the colonial?
I banked with Metway (which is now Suncorp) and all my payments from TSS were deposited into my nominated bank account.

Hi Mandycandy, welcome!

Do you happen to remember any payment details from TSS? Could you nominate which account your pay went into, or did their pay office work with a specific bank, ie the colonial?
Hi Mel—

I banked with Metway (which later became Suncorp) and all my payments from TSS were deposited into my nominated Metway bank account in 1995.

According to ancestry, there is a F Remakel who was born around 1951 (about 4 years out for the age in the ad) from Chicago. I think Francis. There is also a Francis Remacle who seems to be the correct age. Of Luxembourgish descent, it would seem.

Does anyone know- how did Brian confirm no one with the name Remakel had come in or out, besides Marion, since 1970? Is there a searchable database, or is that info that has come from Garry Sheehan?

There goes that theory. It was as much as they could carry then?!

Quite possibly. They may not have felt safe carrying more. 5k is a full bundle of 50's it's quite a thick wad of cash.
Personally I think the amount was to stay under the FTRA cash transaction reporting amount (10k). Its legislation that targets money laundering, tax evasion, alias.

However, if Marion did have a second account, I would assume all of the money around the sale of the house went through the commonwealth, not the Colonial- meaning the securities officer at the colonial in Ashmore would not have dealt with the sale of the house.

Do we know which bank held the mortgage against the house??

Reactions: K8g
In the latest conversations, Sally says that there is nothing to inherit- it has all gone. So- what about the substantial super? Is it gone, or is it there? If Marion showed up tomorrow, could she access the super? I was left very confused about who actually owns the balance of the money that was accessible through Barclays, if it had ever been used and exactly what the final balance was in Sept 97.

I am in no way suggesting that Sally is motivated by money- I am quite sure she would sign away all right to it if it would give her an answer- but it is an inconsistency, and this mystery does not need anymore inconsistencies.

I thought this was odd too Mel1303

The unclaimed Super and also the unclaimed monies from Barclays would form part of Marion's estate and this will go to Sally if Marion is declared deceased.

Interesting. So her reasons for an additional account with Colonial were not due to work.

Given Marion's age I think it makes more sense that Colonial was Marion's original/main Bank.
Marion lived most of her life in NSW. Colonial bank prior to 1994 was the The State Bank of NSW. Whereas the CBA came about after banking deregulation and originally mainly serviced people receiving Govt benefits

You need to listen to the latest podcast. Sally used to busk at the Commonwealth Bank in NSW as a young kid because that is where her Mum used to do her banking. Sally is not in this for the money. I find that offensive to even indicate. I had lunch with her a few weeks ago. She and her husband of many years do just fine. I’d move heaven and earth to find out what happened to a missing parent if it were me. I think you’d all have to agree. I knew Marion personally and she is the type of person that would give you the shirt off her back...so she wasn’t motivated by money either. She was loving and caring and Sally is exactly the same.

You need to listen to the latest podcast. Sally used to busk at the Commonwealth Bank in NSW as a young kid because that is where her Mum used to do her banking. Sally is not in this for the money. I find that offensive to even indicate. I had lunch with her a few weeks ago. She and her husband of many years do just fine. I’d move heaven and earth to find out what happened to a missing parent if it were me. I think you’d all have to agree. I knew Marion personally and she is the type of person that would give you the shirt off her back...so she wasn’t motivated by money either. She was loving and caring and Sally is exactly the same.
Extremely offensive!

I sincerely apologise if it was my post that implied Sally is financially motivated- I tried hard to make it clear that was not my belief. One of the reasons Marion should be considered a missing person, as per the podcast, was that there was substantial untouched super- yet in the last conversation it was said there was nothing left- which didn't add up. As I posted before, I am sure Sally would give up every cent for an answer.

I really don't think that anyone believes that Sally is in anyway financially motivated.

In Episode one of the podcast it states the now defunct Wagga wagga Teachers College.
It does. But in media prior to the podcast, it says "At the now defunct Armidale Teachers College". I asked the question on the facebook page, but for some reason my question was deleted. It may be because it has already been explained, but I cant find it.

Searching for clues to find missing mum

I sincerely apologise if it was my post that implied Sally is financially motivated- I tried hard to make it clear that was not my belief. One of the reasons Marion should be considered a missing person, as per the podcast, was that there was substantial untouched super- yet in the last conversation it was said there was nothing left- which didn't add up. As I posted before, I am sure Sally would give up every cent for an answer.

I really don't think that anyone believes that Sally is in anyway financially motivated.

Mel - I’m sorry if i appear sensitive - and I’m not saying you implied this—but I’ve read nasty things everywhere that are just unfounded and ridiculous.
Her Super is there - untouched. If Marion was still alive I believe she would have tried to access it at the age of 55 (based on the Australian preservation age) — she would be 73 now (nearly 74).

It does. But in media prior to the podcast, it says "At the now defunct Armidale Teachers College". I asked the question on the facebook page, but for some reason my question was deleted. It may be because it has already been explained, but I cant find it.

Searching for clues to find missing mum
Oh ok. You know what media can be like. I'd say info on Podcast would be correct.

Has anyone seen any detailed info on the bone found in Ballina? Wondering if there is an indication of exactly where it was found, address etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rswilliams65