Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just throwing it out there...
Marion Barter loved florals and fine china
Marion changes her name to Florabella
Villeroy & Boch made a china pattern called Flora Bella
Monique Cornelius had connections to the Boch Factory in Luxembourg

Attachments

• download (2).jpg
    download (2).jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I tried to Google the movie MC was in to see if there were any images of posters etc.
There is basically nothing, just a few old posters but I noticed a weird note at the bottom of the page
In response to a legal request submitted to Google, we have removed 2 result(s) from this page. If you wish, you may read more about the request at LumenDatabase.org.”

Then if you click on that link you can see it’s filed by an Australian. Weird. But the date even weirder.
I know this is 99% just a weird coincidence but I can see now how people get into a rabbit hole of sleuthing. o_O:D

I tried to Google the movie MC was in to see if there were any images of posters etc.
There is basically nothing, just a few old posters but I noticed a weird note at the bottom of the page
In response to a legal request submitted to Google, we have removed 2 result(s) from this page. If you wish, you may read more about the request at LumenDatabase.org.”

Then if you click on that link you can see it’s filed by an Australian. Weird. But the date even weirder.
I know this is 99% just a weird coincidence but I can see now how people get into a rabbit hole of sleuthing. o_O:D
It looks to me like MC realised her name was going to be bandied around in Australia - that people were going to be googling her and she (probably wisely) didn't want that level of prying. It sounds like she's a really clever woman. My guess is she contacted a lawyer in Luxembourg who passed it on to an Australian entertainment lawyer to make the application.

I agree and I disagree lol

I don’t think he’s a mastermind either most have been conman petty thief.

Marion is the one that is different… IF she has come to harm at his hand.

So I’m divided..

Some days I think he’s nothing more than a conman petty thief.

and other days..I think - Do we really know what he’s capable of.. when our base line is only his early criminal stuff??

I don’t believe we do.
I don’t know how to categorize him, but I think his “craft” is charm and lies. I doubt he spends alot of time plotting/masterminding, because whatever comes up he is able to talk his way around it. No doubt he’s intelligent and able to remember who he’s told what etc. But with JO, for example, my guess is he sweet talked some lady at a travel agency, with stories of poor him, in order to get her to agree to book JO on the flights he wanted. Lying & charm, moreso than recruiting an actual accomplice. This is probably why he’s gotten away with it for so long. Victims of cons feel humiliated and often blame themselves. It keeps people from speaking out.

If you go to the Luxemburger Wort archives you can view an article dated 25 May 1978 and photo of the film . Whether MC is one of the actresses in that photo I’ll let others decide.

Attachments

• 1D1E0C71-60F0-4675-810B-14025CDF9100.jpeg
    1D1E0C71-60F0-4675-810B-14025CDF9100.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 105
If you go to the Luxemburger Wort for the 5 November 1966 you will see above an article mentioning MC a photo of a scene with a lady actress who looks remarkably like Marion IMO
She really does look similar! IMO. I found it under Fri, November 4th, 1966 for those who are searching. I didn't see a paper for the 5th.

Editing to say I'm wrong - the paper is for the 5th, but the search function showed up as the 4th. Sorry for confusion.

If he is an expert forger, why would he leave in a distinctive personal idiosyncrasy like dotting capital “i”’s? That would be the first thing you’d change!

I think there’s a danger of giving RB too much credit as a criminal mastermind. He appears to be a conman and a petty thief with little to show for his ham-fisted efforts over a 60 year career.

True! And I absolutely don't want to give him any credit! But we can't forget that he has managed to evade Australian & Belgian (and whoever else) authorities since goodness knows when, and has/had many different aliases to do so. We can all see the NAA file. yes they were onto him but he still managed to side step it all, never being caught, travelling back & forth to Europe all while receiving two pensions up until 2021. To me that's more than a petty theif!

4 The wallet stolen a few months before MB travelling contained her Medicare card? Correct me if I am wrong but there is no proof that the wallet was stolen by RB (as yet!) and could just be an unfortunate coincidence, and if so the thief could have used the card.
It was stolen in 1994.

It looks like her , although movie made in 1978 , if she is a teacher than i think she is the movie actress . ..Not sure if i can link u tube but easy found .
How are you finding it on YT? I've tried searching for links to the movie online and I can't find it anywhere.

True! And I absolutely don't want to give him any credit! But we can't forget that he has managed to evade Australian & Belgian (and whoever else) authorities since goodness knows when, and has/had many different aliases to do so. We can all see the NAA file. yes they were onto him but he still managed to side step it all, never being caught, travelling back & forth to Europe all while receiving two pensions up until 2021. To me that's more than a petty theif!
Well we don’t know for sure that he’s never been caught. Doesn’t seem like he’s been jailed, but there could have been other charges/fines etc that we don’t know about. Maybe thats why he hasn’t returned to EU since 2012.

I have been on duty as the Sussex sleuth again today, paying a visit to the Burwash church that both children were baptised in. I took the attached photo of the baptism register. You will see that FDH lists his occupation as Company Director. No godparents names, as they weren’t recorded in the 1980s, but we do have the address that the family were living at in Burwash, a property called Mottynsden Lodge on Spring Lane.

Will do some more digging, but I have already seen that there is also a Mottynsden oast house at the same postcode, didn’t Marion say she at stayed at one on her trip? There are quite a few in the area so it may be a coincidence but it did make me wonder if RB could have been showing Marion some of his old haunts...

Attachments

• A201EEBC-E000-4DA1-B15C-2F7BADD32718.jpeg
    A201EEBC-E000-4DA1-B15C-2F7BADD32718.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 97
I have been on duty as the Sussex sleuth again today, paying a visit to the Burwash church that both children were baptised in. I took the attached photo of the baptism register. You will see that FDH lists his occupation as Company Director. No godparents names, as they weren’t recorded in the 1980s, but we do have the address that the family were living at in Burwash, a property called Mottynsden Lodge on Spring Lane.

Will do some more digging, but I have already seen that there is also a Mottynsden oast house at the same postcode, didn’t Marion say she at stayed at one on her trip? There are quite a few in the area so it may be a coincidence but it did make me wonder if RB could have been showing Marion some of his old haunts...

Great stuff Aldona the Sussex sleuth. I’ve been looking forward to your findings. This is really interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member