Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a thought. In the letter Marian sent on the Narita letter paper she writes (I think) "my big suitcase (can't read) luggage hold before setting out on my train journey north (I think) to Tunbridge Wells and a quaint little hotel offering old fashioned rooms and...". This is from Missing Person Martin Barter Facebook page.

So if she's driving north does that mean she flew into Gatwick? I looked online and found in the 80s Korean air did fly into Gatwick but in the 90s they started flying into Heathrow terminal 3. Maybe they did both? Since 2013 they have started flying into both Gatwick and Heathrow

Attachments

• Marian Barter letter.png
    Marian Barter letter.png
    392.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Korean airways 1980-1990.png
    Korean airways 1980-1990.png
    333.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Korean airways 2013.png
    Korean airways 2013.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 53
If your WC from Bali lives in Kerobokan, than he’s on Instagram with quite a bit of followers + a quote about art. His picture is not our Mr Aka, but he seems the right age to be your WC.

There seems to be a WC from Belgium living in Bali. (WW's first name and his mother MC's last name). Looks to be perhaps in his seventies. WC is also one of the names RB has used as an alias.

Could he be related to RB, and a reason for RB to stop by Bali?

I have this funny gut feeling that there is more to this in re of the real FNR and MC, but that is MOO.
If the smuggling scenario holds, I suspect there is little chance the real FNR is involved. If MB was caught with bad stuff and on an FNMR passport it would be traced quickly back to him. Why invite the possibility of implicating yourself? On the other hand, if MB was caught with an FNMR passport that would inevitably lead back to FNR, which would invite all sorts of distressing interrogation and investigation. Payback. And if so, he's inadvertently got his wish there, then. That's just MOO too.

Power of attorney

Imo these can be easily faked for a period and if necessary to use for certain purposes .

you are not required to register this enduring power of attorney anywhere.
You should:
» keep the original in a safe place
» give a certified copy to your attorney(s), doctor, other health provider(s), bank or lawyer
» if your attorney(s) wish to deal with land in Queensland on your behalf, register your enduring power of attorney with
the Queensland Titles Registry by lodging Form 16 – Request to register power of attorney together with a single-sided
certified copy of the enduring power of attorney
» notify your close family and friends that you have made an enduring power of attorney

These can be filled in without any formal registration and presented to a BANK or any other necessary business to pay bills , cancel vehicle rego or insurances etc .

Anyone who has had to initiate a power of attorney in an emergency etc when a relative etc is unwell or traveling overseas is aware of this procedure and in my experience is quite simple , Although changes have been made in the interim it seems to only apply to the health issues .

Marion did do a Power of Attorney in DEC. 96 to Sally IMO but there is no reason not to believe a form was filled out at a later date either by consent or fraudulently drafted .

Also I am inclined to go with the previous posts in regards to "dirty money " and the cleaning of it through Real Estate , stolen goods and most probably many other endeavors and loopholes re the complicated initiation of shell companies as per usual practices employed for years by legal and natural persons .

In more recent times there has been a worldwide crack down on such fraud and money laundering .
As far as i am concerned this makes sense out of everything RB and any co have done and also been caught at doing in the past .
IMO

After listening to today’s podcast, and there being no apology to the real Fernand Remakel, I can only wonder if that means they think he is involved still? They have access to more information? Or have they just moved on? Or can’t say until end of inquest?

Also, what did they have to omit in the podcast? Towards the start where she said they would explain after inquest?

I could be wrong but I think they’ve moved on. Admitting they were wrong might open them up to being sued or the producers might feel it could damage the reputation of the podcast - they focus a lot on the ad found by a sleuth who was listening to the podcast.

I still think that they treated the real FR shamefully, they strongly tried to push the narrative that he had to be involved because of the rare name, the link to Luxembourg etc. but there were things that should have given them pause as well. Firstly the ad listed a local post box and local number, but they could not link the real FR to Australia in that time period. And if he is seeking out women as himself, using his real name, why does he need the AU number at all? This should have given them pause. Second they claimed he was the only FR in the world, but not true - Mr AKA used the name as his own and had a QLD license in the time period of Marion’s disappearance. Finally, given they could not prove that FR was in Australia in 1997, they could not link him to mystery man, which was a gap that could not be reconciled. Yes, he could have theoretically entered into Australia using a fake ID or had alternative identities like our Mr AKA but that brings us to why, if he was conning women this way, he used his own identity to attract them in the first place. Perhaps if they had approached him more reservedly instead of knocking on his door in the early morning with accusations of placing a personal add in Australia they might have learned some information of value to them.

Just had a thought. In the letter Marian sent on the Narita letter paper she writes (I think) "my big suitcase (can't read) luggage hold before setting out on my train journey north (I think) to Tunbridge Wells and a quaint little hotel offering old fashioned rooms and...". This is from Missing Person Martin Barter Facebook page.

So if she's driving north does that mean she flew into Gatwick? I looked online and found in the 80s Korean air did fly into Gatwick but in the 90s they started flying into Heathrow terminal 3. Maybe they did both? Since 2013 they have started flying into both Gatwick and Heathrow

North to Tunbridge Wells?

Searching and searching threads and inquest for the list of towns RB was asked if he'd ever visited by AC. I don't suppose anyone has made a note?

North to Tunbridge Wells?

Searching and searching threads and inquest for the list of towns RB was asked if he'd ever visited by AC. I don't suppose anyone has made a note?

I re listened the other day , I jotted down some in my notes but not all i don't think ; Hastings , Brighton , Winchester , Rye , Alton,Winchelsea and of course Tunbridge Wells and Tunbridge and he said he had been to the hospital with his daughter 3 times

Also in those notes he was asked if he had any bank accounts in Burwash and Luxembourg in 1986 and asked about any withdrawals etc . He said yes and they were closed .

Last edited:
I re listened the other day , I jotted down some in my notes but not all i don't think ; Hastings , Brighton , Winchester , Rye , Alton,Winchelsea and of course Tunbridge Wells and Tunbridge and he said he had been to the hospital with his daughter 3 times

Also in those notes he was asked if he had any bank accounts in Burwash and Luxembourg in 1986 and asked about any withdrawals etc . He said yes and they were closed .
Thanks! Trying to figure out that loop overlaid over MB's journey. Gatwick's still not north of TW though is it?

Can anyone remember where the postcard was from where MB mentioned she'd met Maz and the Dutch dentist? I know someone put them all up a while ago and I should've saved them but I just can't find it. TIA.

That's interesting. I have a nomination form for Rother District Council for the DV (son?) listed under that announcement dated 10 April 2015, giving the same address. Can post the link?

Elderly widow dies whilst living at the lodge house in Burwash, so who soon after comes rocking into town/tiny village?!

It
Can anyone remember where the postcard was from where MB mentioned she'd met Maz and the Dutch dentist? I know someone put them all up a while ago and I should've saved them but I just can't find it. TIA.

It was either Rye or Strand Gate postcards. I can’t put my finger on them at the moment. I’m sure they were postmarked Tonbridge which means Marion was in the Tunbridge Wells area again when she posted them.

Re the daily bank withdrawals

I suspect these withdrawals were not cash withdrawn daily - I suspect that is another red herring and thus far we have no facts

It seems to me that someone with the account details set up a recurring daily payment outgoing to another account, maybe overseas. Specifically at a level below that which would flag up automated bank security systems at which point a human has to check and authorise. In which case, WHERE did the money go?? It is an absolute outrage for this bank to claim no knowledge.

It seems to me the bank (and the police then repeated the notion) did a 'reverse' explanation for this probable theft stating 'it was approved by our branch securities officer' when in fact what they mean is 'the transactions did not flag up to our bank's securities system and were therefore paid out'. A huge disservice has been done here. There is no way bank tellers facilitated a woman to come in their branch and withdraw thousands of dollars in cash per day every day, didn't happen.

Banks do not ever like to reveal loopholes in their systems. One reason financial frauds often never go to court and become public information is for that very reason. When bank staff or clever customers go rogue, it is kept all very hush hush. People rarely if ever go to prison for financial impropriety unless they've defrauded the government. Rarely even now are scammers and con artists held to account because the banks are simply not interested.

Marion was a school teacher - trained to follow the rules, do things right, dot the 'i's and cross the 't's, in a formal academic institutionalised way. She doesn't sound like a criminally minded person. Her secrecy and subterfuge over this romance can only speak to coercive control, possible blackmail or 'shame based' threats, and being sold a pack of lies. She would have seen through it fairly quickly (used to dealing with schoolboys who tell silly fibs). She would have tried to extricate herself quickly, not go deeper in - she had a family that loved her.

It

It was either Rye or Strand Gate postcards. I can’t put my finger on them at the moment. I’m sure they were postmarked Tonbridge which means Marion was in the Tunbridge Wells area again when she posted them.
She met them in Rye, you say? I love Rye, went there on my (21 yrs belated) honeymoon in 2016. It has such a lovely harbour, and so handy to France. If we'd had friends in say, Bologne, who had a boat, and wanted to catch up with us while we were there, and give us some gifts from France, well it's only a half-hour trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966