Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone remember where the postcard was from where MB mentioned she'd met Maz and the Dutch dentist? I know someone put them all up a while ago and I should've saved them but I just can't find it. TIA.

I wonder if a group of people were involved in this. They glean facts about people - name, date of birth, etc. They target those same people as 'marks' for a theft of as much paperwork and identification documents as possible. They befriend those same people and try to get into their lives somehow, offering to start a business or buy a property together etc - sell them some kind of dream (it doesn't have to be romantic, that would be the hardest and most annoying to perpetrate). They work like parasites, possibly coming into the 'marks' life in multiple entities, to drain as much resources and information and identification from the person as possible. Stolen wallet, burgled house, business broken into all happen within a couple of years. Eventually the mark is left with nothing. Scammers have taken enough documents to start crafted new identities using the mark's identity for some of their next scams and interim funded themselves with stolen items. If they get the house sold or the bank account that's a big win and all still yet terribly hard to prove.

Could 'Maz' and the dentist be in on it? Could this 'Maz' (in the UK short for Marion) have been working on adopting Marion's REAL or new 'Ramakel' identity for the next stage?

People say the real Mr FR is not connected to this case but I'm going to suggest absolutely he is - even by status of having been a victim of a previous sting or intended future one that never panned out. It is a very bizarre thing for a con artist to use such a rare and unusual name and there must be a solid reason. Perhaps the real Mr FR has had a very lucky escape as he may have been intended for the next parasitic event when the scammers headed to Luxembourg to strip him of all his assets and identity, with RB and 'Maz' already being set up as him and his wife on paper. I suggest he thinks very hard about who came into his life around that time getting to know him and perhaps suggesting business ideas and whether he had paperwork stolen or any types of thefts or break ins back then.

I could be wrong but I think they’ve moved on. Admitting they were wrong might open them up to being sued or the producers might feel it could damage the reputation of the podcast - they focus a lot on the ad found by a sleuth who was listening to the podcast.

I still think that they treated the real FR shamefully, they strongly tried to push the narrative that he had to be involved because of the rare name, the link to Luxembourg etc. but there were things that should have given them pause as well. Firstly the ad listed a local post box and local number, but they could not link the real FR to Australia in that time period. And if he is seeking out women as himself, using his real name, why does he need the AU number at all? This should have given them pause. Second they claimed he was the only FR in the world, but not true - Mr AKA used the name as his own and had a QLD license in the time period of Marion’s disappearance. Finally, given they could not prove that FR was in Australia in 1997, they could not link him to mystery man, which was a gap that could not be reconciled. Yes, he could have theoretically entered into Australia using a fake ID or had alternative identities like our Mr AKA but that brings us to why, if he was conning women this way, he used his own identity to attract them in the first place. Perhaps if they had approached him more reservedly instead of knocking on his door in the early morning with accusations of placing a personal add in Australia they might have learned some information of value to them.

Agree. Establish facts. Establish facts is rule number one of any scientific endeavour. Build a picture and get to know what you're dealing with. The team could have spent significant time scoping out and then simply and calmly presented their questions. Also should have had police back up.

I believe Mr FR and his wife could have been connected - insofar as were possibly about to be hit by the scammers for some terrible and life changing event. That Mr AKA had somehow already got a connection even if Mr FR was oblivious.

A bit much that Mr AKA was setting up a story that he seemingly was Mr FR and had created on paper 'a Luxembourg housewife' to boot. What madness was about to unfold?

She met them in Rye, you say? I love Rye, went there on my (21 yrs belated) honeymoon in 2016. It has such a lovely harbour, and so handy to France. If we'd had friends in say, Bologne, who had a boat, and wanted to catch up with us while we were there, and give us some gifts from France, well it's only a half-hour trip.

I did a tour of Oast houses in East Sussex last year. The one that really seem to fit the bill was Playden Oasts. On the A road into Rye, nice little bar & restaurant and rooms to stay and not far from Burwash.

Attachments

• 1AB99565-271E-4908-BF6E-980BC433646A.jpeg
    1AB99565-271E-4908-BF6E-980BC433646A.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 790FEFC5-78CD-4B0A-BDEA-297D0024BF7D.jpeg
    790FEFC5-78CD-4B0A-BDEA-297D0024BF7D.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 39
Jealous. Is that closer to when she mentioned the Oast, than the Oast in Burwash?

I didn’t visit any B&B Oasts in Burwash and Mr aka probably wouldn’t take the risk. Playden Oasts is on the main A268 (Rye Road) route from Tunbridge Wells to Rye. You can’t miss the establishment when driving past. Ideal for a stop, beer & room. Nobody would question any Tourists visiting there.

I didn’t visit any B&B Oasts in Burwash and Mr aka probably wouldn’t take the risk. Playden Oasts is on the main A268 (Rye Road) route from Tunbridge Wells to Rye. You can’t miss the establishment when driving past. Ideal for a stop, beer & room. Nobody would question any Tourists visiting there.

Does sound the perfect spot for a stop-off. I'd put a pin in that, if you haven't already. Don't suppose you happened to have a nosy through the old visitor books while you were there?

Somebody a while back did a search of companies (French or Belgian. I think) and found one with one of the director's surnames as Maslowski (sp?) and queried "Maz?". Neither shows up on the search bar, can anyone remember?

Does sound the perfect spot for a stop-off. I'd put a pin in that, if you haven't already. Don't suppose you happened to have a nosy through the old visitor books while you were there?

Somebody a while back did a search of companies (French or Belgian. I think) and found one with one of the director's surnames as Maslowski (sp?) and queried "Maz?". Neither shows up on the search bar, can anyone remember?
Was this it?
CORDEMANS ET Cie BVBA - BE 0426.659.844 | Business and financial data | Bizzy

Under Publications 2001

Agree. Establish facts. Establish facts is rule number one of any scientific endeavour. Build a picture and get to know what you're dealing with. The team could have spent significant time scoping out and then simply and calmly presented their questions. Also should have had police back up.

I believe Mr FR and his wife could have been connected - insofar as were possibly about to be hit by the scammers for some terrible and life changing event. That Mr AKA had somehow already got a connection even if Mr FR was oblivious.

A bit much that Mr AKA was setting up a story that he seemingly was Mr FR and had created on paper 'a Luxembourg housewife' to boot. What madness was about to unfold?

The Luxembourg Freeport is a highly secure warehouse adjacent to Luxembourg Findel Airport. It offers a variety of tax advantages because the goods warehoused are technically in transit. The Freeport is often used to store art and other valuable items without having to pay customs or sales tax. The services and confidentiality make the Freeport similar to an offshore financial center. With the Law of 24 July 2015, the licensed operators of the Luxembourg Freeport are now subject to the same know-your-customer obligations as apply to all other covered entities under the Law of 12 November 2004. The Law of 24 July 2015 also provides that the licensed operators of the Luxembourg Freeport are supervised by the Luxembourg Administration for Indirect Taxation regarding their AML/CFT obligations.

Luxembourg has successfully combated money-laundering and terrorist-financing, as well as tax evasion, through major fiscal reforms over the past decade. These reforms, culminating in 2015 with the elimination of banking secrecy (for non-resident account holders), the implementation of the bilateral Financial Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) agreement to comply with that U.S. law, and the automatic exchange of financial account information, have been lauded by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) and have served to counter Luxembourg’s historic “tax haven” image.

This link gives a really good insight to what went and does go on in Luxembourg .....it is no wonder he and his business colleagues spent so much time there and the crack downs could explain his reluctance to carry on with " practices " that may have been "legal " but corrupt all the same

https://www.knowyourcountry.com/luxembourg1111

Interesting dates -

DdeH birthdate - 16 April 1951
DdeH (son) birthdate - 2 April 1970
MdeH birthdate - 17 April 1981

1980 6 Feb – FdeH Departs Australia

1980 April 23 – DdeH and son D ( he is 1 yr old) depart Australia for Amsterdam

1981 Jan 21 – DdeH and DdeH ( son) back into Australia from Germany

1981 April 17 - MdeH born in Luxembourg - So they must leave Aust within 3 months, for MdeH to be born in Lux?

o_O

Interesting dates -

1981 April 17 - MdeH born in Luxembourg - So they must leave Aust within 3 months, for MdeH to be born in Lux?

o_O

So she was in her third trimester when she flew from aus to lux? Was that allowed with international long haul airlines back in the 80s?

So she was in her third trimester when she flew from aus to lux? Was that allowed with international long haul airlines back in the 80s?
I've done it RUH-SIN-AKL at 29 weeks and breathed in while boarding. How are they going to know? I'm reading back through threads surrounding the one beginning with @mishy66 Cordeman's post and the money laundering. Just paperwork? With the kids and all I mean. It's getting darker by the minute....

I have been wondering the very same thing...
I strike it as ODD that a 6 mth pregnant mother would cart a nearly 2 yr old all the way back to Aust for a few weeks only to go back again and give birth o_O

North to Tunbridge Wells?

Searching and searching threads and inquest for the list of towns RB was asked if he'd ever visited by AC. I don't suppose anyone has made a note?
Yes either the “north” is a mistake on MBs part or she really wasn’t coming from London. I’d guess they took same journey as JO (into Amsterdam). The fact that Marion write initially writes “Europe” on her passenger card as her destination, I believe, suggests she didn’t really know where in Europe she was going, after landing in S Korea.

The questions about bank accounts in UK & Luxembourg are interesting. I wonder if there is evidence of him having accounts there & that being the reason he needs to go to these places in person, to deposit (or retrieve) cash.

Interesting dates -

o_O
Also, RB testified emphatically that he only returned to Australia ONCE during the period 6/2/80 to 2/1/86. He said he returned to Aust on 18/11/85 to attend to weed eradication at Tamborine and returned to Europe on 4/12/85.
Yet somehow he managed to obtain a NSW drivers licence in the name CHAIM F.D. dH on 29/1/85 giving his address as Rangers Rd Cremorne. What else did he get up to here at that time?

The Playden Oasts is in new ownership. The owner at the time has passed away although his partner and brother are still alive. I suppose I could always ask Mr aka?!!;)

Also, RB testified emphatically that he only returned to Australia ONCE during the period 6/2/80 to 2/1/86. He said he returned to Aust on 18/11/85 to attend to weed eradication at Tamborine and returned to Europe on 4/12/85.
Yet somehow he managed to obtain a NSW drivers licence in the name CHAIM F.D. dH on 29/1/85 giving his address as Rangers Rd Cremorne. What else did he get up to here at that time?
Maybe he did only return once....in that name....is he hiding another alias that hasn't been proven yet at the inquest???

Yes either the “north” is a mistake on MBs part or she really wasn’t coming from London. I’d guess they took same journey as JO (into Amsterdam). The fact that Marion write initially writes “Europe” on her passenger card as her destination, I believe, suggests she didn’t really know where in Europe she was going, after landing in S Korea.

The questions about bank accounts in UK & Luxembourg are interesting. I wonder if there is evidence of him having accounts there & that being the reason he needs to go to these places in person, to deposit (or retrieve) cash.
Having another look at Marion's letter, I think she did write 'south' and not 'north'. In the letter, her small 'n' is quite sharp, her small 's' is written in different styles, but if you look at the word 'scales' towards the bottom of the page, the 's' there is of similar structure to the word I now think says 'south'. MOO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members