Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marion went to Teachers College in Armidale? I seem to remember this information from an early podcast. Please anyone correct me if I’m wrong.

On a timeline I have, MB went to Sydney Teachers' College.

RB said he regrets coming back to Australia in 1986. I wonder how
Mrs DeH and his kids feel about him now? Hopefully they are assisting with investigations. I was rather hoping the NSW Crime Commission will take over when inquest is done. They have the power to Compel people to give evidence. This power is used to further investigations by obtaining information and evidence from people who are not prepared to co-operate with law.

Listening to bits of DDH at the inquest Day 6. After all the aliases read out/questions etc and AC then asks about a Gaetan ..he apologies for his pronunciation...does anyone have the surname? So far my closest guess is De Brisoult or De Briscoul? Wondering if there is more to come on this alias.

RB said he regrets coming back to Australia in 1986. I wonder how
Mrs DeH and his kids feel about him now? Hopefully they are assisting with investigations. I was rather hoping the NSW Crime Commission will take over when inquest is done. They have the power to Compel people to give evidence. This power is used to further investigations by obtaining information and evidence from people who are not prepared to co-operate with law.
I am hoping they still will. I found that comment (wishing he never came back) so rude to his family and so selfish. SO DO WE BUDDY!!! JMO

When Mrs aka is asked at the inquest whether she has lived in England before she states a place but her reply is very mumbled. Does she say Buxton? My ears are very blocked at the moment!

Mrs aka states she had lived in England but a long time before she had the “kids”. She states the place at 2:38:59 on the 2nd day of questioning. It now sounds like Oak something although it might be Epsom?

If her parents were Australian and lived in Australia who was she living with as she had known Mr aka since at least 1971?

Having listened again she confirmed neither her nor her husband had any family or friends who lived in or near the tiny village of Burwash before they moved there.

Do we know when? Son b.1970 - so early 90's for a 3-5 year degree?
How do uni fees work in Oz, if your folks are on a pension?
Many people (regardless of pension) pay their uni fees off when they start working via additional tax. It’s uncommon to pay them upfront (unless you are rich) if you are a local student. This helps everyone access university here and doesn’t have the same amount of interest other countries (eg as I understand the US system).

Mrs aka states she had lived in England but a long time before she had the “kids”. She states the place at 2:38:59 on the 2nd day of questioning. It now sounds like Oak something although it might be Epsom?

If her parents were Australian and lived in Australia who was she living with as she had known Mr aka since at least 1971?

Having listened again she confirmed neither her nor her husband had any family or friends who lived in or near the tiny village of Burwash before they moved there.
I listened again, thought it sounded like Oakham (near Leicester?) but by the fourth time of listening, think you are right with Epsom. Interested to hear that her parents came over to visit when she was living in UK (no dates given).

Folkestone - I think. In fact I’ve listened several times and I’m sure it’s Folkestone.

Last edited:
Many people (regardless of pension) pay their uni fees off when they start working via additional tax. It’s uncommon to pay them upfront (unless you are rich) if you are a local student. This helps everyone access university here and doesn’t have the same amount of interest other countries (eg as I understand the US system).

So still -when you finish uni, you're servicing student loan debt, financing into chosen profession and probably own home? Makes it hard to get ahead, without help.

Related but separate: Is it known when and where RB studied for his degree?

I think on her (and her parents) passenger card, it stated she had been out of AU for 12 months before her return on the Chusan. Maybe that’s when she meant?

I am hoping they still will. I found that comment (wishing he never came back) so rude to his family and so selfish. SO DO WE BUDDY!!! JMO
I took it that he was saying it because his house of cards came tumbling down.
He is all about him. No one else. If he had one ounce of decency and respect for his family, he would have pulled up stumps when they were born, but he just kept rolling on.
I hope they nailed him big time.
Thank god Sally kept ploughing through to eventually find this man.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member