Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marion’s names consisted of Marion Wilson (birth name), Marion Warren (1st marriage), Marion Brown (2nd marriage), Marion Barter (3rd marriage), and Florabella Natalia Marion Remakel.

According to episode 17 "Baby Steps," these errors were found in her police file and were repeatedly used by investigators conducting proof of life checks when pulling documents and records at government agencies, financial institutions, and other companies, etc. I wonder why such mistakes were made...

Now that we know RB is a man of many names and name-variants, I thought it wouldn't hurt to revisit these odd "errors."

1. Her former surname is written as “Smith” instead of Brown many times
2. Wilsin (spelling)
3. Baxter (wrong name or spelling)
4. Bartor (spelling)
5. Bathreta (wrong name)
6. Wrinkle (wrong name)
7. Marjan (wrong name / Dutch variant)
8. Warren Barter (wrong name/wrong gender)

Many people put younger photos of themselves on the internet. I thought it could be RB.
very true I need to put them side by side didn’t at the time of this post.
To be clear i was in no way connecting the person you speak of and did not share that part .
I have given a clear explanation of my thought process once i figured out the description of the internet services and the similarity and the reasons it triggered my interest .As i said its just sluething :)
Nothing wrong with sleuthing without it.. this thread wouldn’t exist! I know you weren’t connecting the person.. I did.. whoops

Marion’s names consisted of Marion Wilson (birth name), Marion Warren (1st marriage), Marion Brown (2nd marriage), Marion Barter (3rd marriage), and Florabella Natalia Marion Remakel.

According to episode 17 "Baby Steps," these errors were found in her police file and were repeatedly used by investigators conducting proof of life checks when pulling documents and records at government agencies, financial institutions, and other companies, etc. I wonder why such mistakes were made...

Now that we know RB is a man of many names and name-variants, I thought it wouldn't hurt to revisit these odd "errors."

2. Wilsin (spelling)
4. Bartor (spelling)
5. Bathreta (wrong name)
6. Wrinkle (wrong name)

WOW

Maybe no connection, but there are a few coin and penny dealers in Lismore, 10 mins to Wollongbar where RB lives

Yes i saw one in Wollongbar something like "Down Coventry Lane " ? ....antiques etc from memory

2. Wilsin (spelling)
4. Bartor (spelling)
5. Bathreta (wrong name)
6. Wrinkle (wrong name)

Holy moly! What on earth?! How can they get it wrong. So. Many. Times?

We can add:
9. Remekel (NAA passenger cards indexed with incorrect spelling)

Something that still haunts me is that in 2007, Sally and Australian Federal Police - Missing Person's were going to run a huge campaign with Marion as the face of it... but it got pulled at the very last minute. The reason given to Sally was "can’t use the case due to its sensitivity".

Through FOI, Sally found out that it was the NSW police that pulled it. There is a lengthy trail of emails between AFP and NSW police arguing over it, but NSW police won. Basically, there was someone at the NSW police that was VERY vocal about Marion being sighted in 1997 and 2006 and they absolutely insisted that she was not missing.

Now with all the errors made in the case, in the spellings, and in process, it's just hard to fathom... Were authorities and professionals really that incompetent, was someone in on it, or was it something else?

Sometimes I wonder if police had an inkling of who RB was and were surveilling him until they had enough to catch him, and Marion was a casualty? Or maybe they just didn't give a damn and kept trying to hide the fact they did nothing? IDK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something I keep forgetting to put in timeline is:

3 November 1996
Marion made a will with Sally as her executor and beneficiary of the majority of her estate.

Remember that in December Marion told her parent's she would travel in 1997, sold her house in April, changed name in May, and left in June.

Could mean nothing, or could mean Marion was on to the fact someone was after her money, or something could happen to her?

Was just reading about a German Aussie conman in the 70s and 80s called John Friedrich.

Back in Germany he was a wanted man, went skiing and never returned, so they assumed he died. Lol he even planted evidence.

In reality, he fled to Australia on temporary visa. Officials didn't know about prior record and didn't realise anything was fishy because he pretended to leave Australia in a timely manner.

He tricked customs into believing he boarded a flight out of Australia. Immigration records show he left! But he actually remained in Aus for decades until more cons, convictions and his death.

Point being, I don't know how they do it, but these conmen know how to make it look as though they board flights o_O So all this business about RB not travelling with Marion (and travelling just before or after his companions) might be a ruse. Don't know how he's doing it but it's the perfect disguise.

I think this man preys on human error and typos, and must fluster then charm the hell out of the people and red tape that are in his way.

I believe he has passed, there was a special report on him on one of the 3 major media outlets not too long ago, I think he eventually settled out in Gippsland Vic and eventually his fraudulent activities caught up with him .
John Friedrich (fraudster) - Wikipedia

Oh my mistake, has the podcast been up already ?

Have been busy doing other things. Please excuse my incorrect post.

Off to listen now.

2. Wilsin (spelling)
4. Bartor (spelling)
5. Bathreta (wrong name)
6. Wrinkle (wrong name)

Does anyone know why these errors could have been made?

Some random observations:
* JO said RB was very convincing. I guess that’s part of the con - at first you demonstrate you can meet the woman’s needs by being understanding, listening to them, charming them, showing care for them.
* RB has demonstrated he can turn nasty, as he tried to blackmail GGB with compromising photos. When the AVO was issued, an anonymous complaint was made about her to the education department.
* RB also demonstrated he could carry on the con for awhile and was willing to cut his losses if there was too much risk of exposure.

Also no apologies for the real FR. No surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babycakes15