Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Going back to the end of the last thread about Marion working in the UK or potentially scoping out investments.

Working holiday visa - yes this was a thing, still is. And it works the other way round too with UK nationals going to Australia on a working holiday visa. But it's age limited - 30 or 32 I think. Marion most definitely would not have been on a working holiday visa. A tourist visa bans all work. Not to say some people don't flout that, but get caught and you're detained and probably won't be allowed back into the UK. Being in the UK thinking/being told that you are there to scope out potential investments in nurseries or other education establishments around the Sussex area is a different matter though and completely legal.

Going back to the end of the last thread about Marion working in the UK or potentially scoping out investments.

Working holiday visa - yes this was a thing, still is. And it works the other way round too with UK nationals going to Australia on a working holiday visa. But it's age limited - 30 or 32 I think. Marion most definitely would not have been on a working holiday visa. A tourist visa bans all work. Not to say some people don't flout that, but get caught and you're detained and probably won't be allowed back into the UK. Being in the UK thinking/being told that you are there to scope out potential investments in nurseries or other education establishments around the Sussex area is a different matter though and completely legal.

yes but if RB held a European passport, and they were married, then she may have been able to apply for a EU passport and therefore have work rights.

may have been part of the story RB told her to get her to travel os

Correct me if I’m wrong , I thought Marion had duel citizenship via one of her parents being English?

Correct me if I’m wrong , I thought Marion had duel citizenship via one of her parents being English?

If so, applying for a British passport would have been the best solution for her and keeping her Australian one which she renewed the year before. So why get another Australian one using his surname? RB must have had Marion under his spell!

I’m 99% sure Sally was asked this on the podcast (a long time ago) and said Marion didn’t have any close ancestor from the UK who would make her eligible for UK citizenship

Thanks for clarifying

Please could somebody let me know where I can find the agenda for next week’s inquest. I’m sure I’ve seen it somewhere, but I just cannot find it. I would like to know which days it’s on and the list of witnesses.
Thank you .

I may be wrong of course but I don’t believe this record was showing up a few days ago..
Note the record says it was last updated on the 7th of January.

RENOV PUBS - 0858473358 - Belgium

Last updated: Jan 07, 2022
RENOV PUBS

Sources: FOD Economie, KMO, Middenstand en Energie

RENOV PUBS Belgian company, has 2 subdivisions. Was founded on October 1, 1968 with identification number 0858473358.

Registry number2.123.837.368

Secondary activities (2)
#7440101 designing and conducting advertising and promotional campaigns for third parties via the various media

#7311001 Designing and conducting advertising and promotional campaigns for third parties via the various media

Name DeH, F

Brand Name RENOV PUBS

Pays VAT No

So what does this imply? Could RB have been operating this business from Australia? Does he have to update it every year? Does he avoid tax this way. Note he does not pay VAT.

From above link:

If you click on #7440101 it leads you to this page Found 15721 companies | B2BHint Search

If you click on #7311001 it leads you to this page Found 44442 companies | B2BHint Search

What does all this mean?

Then you click on some of the companies, they have the same listings.

YEM-COACHING - 0779407767 - Belgium
#9604003 Physical wellbeing services, such as provided in thalassotherapy establishments, spas, Turkish baths, saunas, steam baths, massage parlors, etc.
#4777002 Retail trade in jewelery and goldsmiths
#7911002 Organizing trips and excursions of shorter duration, arranging 'tailor-made trips', accommodation and transport of travelers and tourists

BRAINLOCKED - GPS ADVENTURE GAME - 0778736586 - Belgium
#9604003 Physical wellbeing services, such as provided in thalassotherapy establishments, spas, Turkish baths, saunas, steam baths, massage parlors, etc.
#7911002 Organizing trips and excursions of shorter duration, arranging 'tailor-made trips', accommodation and transport of travelers and tourists

This one is a business named Eyes Cream
Eyes Cream - 0896303061 - Belgium

This one is a business called Villa, Maxime
Villa, Maxime - 0776443527 - Belgium

Does RB have a network of agents in Belgium?

Last edited:
The only thing I can find is that it starts next Monday the 14th February and goes for four days.
I keep looking at upcoming live streams but so far it's not there.

I haven't found a list of witnesses, apart from the husband and wife that has been mentioned.

Please could somebody let me know where I can find the agenda for next week’s inquest. I’m sure I’ve seen it somewhere, but I just cannot find it. I would like to know which days it’s on and the list of witnesses.
Thank you .

I think interviewing JO's cousin would have been really helpful, I bet they remember everything JO missed at the time. They were obviously not fooled and were not seeing the situation with rose tinted glasses or ignoring the warning signs as we do when we are in love, would love the podcast to interview them.

I think interviewing JO's cousin would have been really helpful, I bet they remember everything JO missed at the time. They were obviously not fooled and were not seeing the situation with rose tinted glasses or ignoring the warning signs as we do when we are in love, would love the podcast to interview them.

I was hoping that too assuming they are still alive.

Allowing JO to keep referring back to her Jan 2000 statement in front of her during the questioning at the inquest didn’t seem to work for me. It wasn’t helped by technology issues too.

They might as well have read her Jan 2000 statement in full and ask questions after.

We did find one snippet of info from JO in her subsequent Podcast interview with Alison Sandy that the Man of many names gave her £60 to catch the train from Dover Priory. That’s over a 6 hour journey with various changes to Manchester Piccadilly.

Typology of Love Fraud Victims

There has been some speculation about the typology of fraud victims. Much of the work has focused on personal fraud, in general. For example, Titus and Gover believe that victims of fraud are more likely to be:
  1. cooperative
  2. greedy
  3. gullible/uncritical
  4. careless
  5. susceptible to flattery
  6. easily intimidated
  7. risk takers
  8. generous
  9. hold respect for authority
  10. good citizens.
Fischer et al. found in their survey research that scam victims or near scam victims were more affected by the high values offered in scams and displayed a high degree of trust in the scammers. They also found some support for the notion that some kind of enduring personality trait might increase susceptibility to persuasion. Similarly, a susceptibility to persuasion scale has been developed with the intention to predict likelihood of becoming scammed. This scale includes the following items:
  1. premeditation
  2. consistency
  3. sensation seeking
  4. self-control
  5. social influence
  6. similarity
  7. risk preferences
  8. attitudes toward advertising
  9. need for cognition
  10. uniqueness.
The current work, therefore, suggests some merit in considering personal dispositions might predict likelihood of becoming scammed.

The similarities between Jo’s story and Marion’s are uncanny. Especially the fact that they both went to Sussex on arrival in the UK. He must have some connection there.

I know Sally don’t believe it, but it’s possible that Marion placed a personal ad. I wonder if anyone had checked old newspapers? Either that, or he ran into her somewhere and recognised her from Switzerland, though I think his allegation that married Marion had a fling with him while travelling with her first husband is rubbish. Looking forward to the next episode about RB. And he has definitely been listening to the podcast to know about the pilot. I have family in the navy and in aviation and no one walks around in their uniform in their spare time or goes to pick up boxes in uniform, even wearing the hat. What a load of bull…
So far I think he either physically did something to her, or conned her out of her money and she was heart broken and embarrassed and couldn’t face her family.
As for the real Remakel, I still have no sympathy for him. He showed a complete lack of human empathy and placed his needs above those of a person in need. Had he acted in a kind way, they would have been so much less speculation about him. I know some disagree and he has every right to refuse to help a stranger (even by allowing himself to be ruled out). I guess I value the needs of a missing person’s family over his right to privacy. There you go, we’re all different : )

From above link:

If you click on #7440101 it leads you to this page Found 15721 companies | B2BHint Search

If you click on #7311001 it leads you to this page Found 44442 companies | B2BHint Search

What does all this mean?

Then you click on some of the companies, they have the same listings.

YEM-COACHING - 0779407767 - Belgium
#4777002 Retail trade in jewelery and goldsmiths

BRAINLOCKED - GPS ADVENTURE GAME - 0778736586 - Belgium

This one is a business named Eyes Cream
Eyes Cream - 0896303061 - Belgium

This one is a business called Villa, Maxime
Villa, Maxime - 0776443527 - Belgium

Does RB have a network of agents in Belgium?

I assume that RB's 1968 website has had to be updated every few years or even every year for a hosting fee. But these days this business is only registered in the name of F De H. Originally there were three names - all his. Hence it was updated in Jan 2022. It looks as if he is a workaholic conman to me and will do it until he dies. However, this could be a legitimate business, who knows?

He is 82yo (not 83yo) so I guess he might be preparing to depart Australia for Belgium as soon as the inquest is over. IMO he could use it from Australia as online clients wouldn't know the difference.

It looks to me as if he has developed a network of clients using a tick the box approach as many things are repeated in the different businesses (see above). These agents seem to go back as far as 2007. Maybe he gets a fee from them to sign up and if he gives them business he gets a commission. A type of Amway situation perhaps but maybe not multilevel - just two levels. He acts as the middle man perhaps.

RENOV PUBS breaks into two links with 15721 businesses in one arm and 44442 businesses in the other making 60,163 in total.

That's the way I'm now understanding it but I'm open to hearing what you think.

Last edited:
Last updated: Jan 07, 2022
RENOV PUBS

Sources: FOD Economie, KMO, Middenstand en Energie

RENOV PUBS Belgian company, has 2 subdivisions. Was founded on October 1, 1968 with identification number 0858473358.

Registry number2.123.837.368

Secondary activities (2)

#7440101 designing and conducting advertising and promotional campaigns for third parties via the various media
#7311001 Designing and conducting advertising and promotional campaigns for third parties via the various media

Name DeH, F

Brand Name RENOV PUBS

Pays VAT No

So what does this imply? Could RB have been operating this business from Australia? Does he have to update it every year? Does he avoid tax this way. Note he does not pay VAT.

Is this a different entity to the one you found re the 3 names ? They both have the same title
but this one has only Fred as founder ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members