Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had some thoughts about Ilona:

To me it seems likely he paid (or offered to pay and didn't) for her to apply for citizenship that he could then piggyback off for himself. I really need to have a better look at the timeline.

It was not uncommon to do this to obtain Australian citizenship but probably more prevalent in the last say 3 or 4 decades, a bit less likely when he came over. In the years that he came to Australia there were many programs running to encourage Brits, Europeans to emigrate to Australia - such as offering cheap passage etc.

Australia used to have amnesty periods, so if you had travelled here and overstayed a visa (therefore be here illegally) the Government would declare an amnesty period and you could come forward and declare yourself and would be made a permanent resident and you could then apply for citizenship at some later stage. The last amnesty I remember was sometime around the pilots strike or before when I was living in Sydney.

"To me it seems likely he paid (or offered to pay and didn't) for her to apply for citizenship that he could then piggyback off for himself."

Yes IMO he used Ilona to apply for Australian residency. I don't believe they married in Belgium just before they came to Australia. IMO he forged their Marriage Certificate. Then the next year he claimed he was divorced in just over a year later when departing Australia even though they left together on the same flight on the same day for Belgium.

Last edited:
There’s a Gaetan Flamme in that same family line of A.F, also living in Liévin. That stood out to me because that’s what his sons name was. But it may mean nothing. The name seems unusual to me but it could be very common over there.

That's interesting.

This what I am very angry about. They have both been pensioners since 1986! Any assets they have should be paid back but where are these assets and cash? Stop their pensions immediately, I say.
Possibly somewhere in a safety envelope in a bank security box under another alias …. Or in an off shore account. I’m confident the truth will eventually come out once RB fesses up and stops dragging out this inquest by playing dumb !

Today was slightly amusing at times, but I think tomorrow is going to be a very hard day. Personally, I've had anxiety building up all day in anticipation of what's coming. I hope y'all get a chance to de-stress, refuel, find something good to hold onto, and get a proper night's rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I must say, my favourite part today was when Casselden read the Le Courrier rencontre, line by line, getting RB to agree he was NONE of the things he portrayed himself to be. Especially the bit about being 'very morally aligned' where even RB agreed that he obviously wasn't.

That was a coup de grâce! (a final decisive stroke)

Today was slightly amusing at times, but I think tomorrow is going to be a very hard day. Personally, I've had anxiety building up all day in anticipation for what's coming. I hope y'all get a chance to de-stress, refuel, find something good to hold onto, and get a proper night's rest.

I thought the highlight was Casselden working through the Japan Airlines concessions. The look on his face and intonations in his delivery were a classic! He is fabulous at his job!

I was under the impression tomorrow was the last day of inquest. Casselden will continue with Blum and finally get to his relationship with Marion. Then all the other lawyers get a turn to ask him questions. Then the Coroner goes away and writes up her findings, which are then publically posted on the NSW Coroner's site.

However, I see other people saying it will finish next week? Can someone clarify or post a link to schedule?

I don't have anything to clarify but I'm pretty sure I remember hearing on the podcast it would be 3 weeks, 1 week and then a week break + 2 more weeks.
Which also lined up with a question asked at the start of the inquest about when it would be an open court again for people to come and sit in on proceedings, and the judge said it wouldn't be until after Feb 24 or 25. Which I remember feeling disappointed for Sally because she was really hoping to have her family with her at the end

I felt like they spent a lot of time discussing the JAL flights today. Did they say how they knew about the discounted flights? Do you think they know who this staff member is and why he gave RB Willy Wonka the discount for so long?
Now I feel I’m leaning more towards a drug smuggling vibe.

I guess you could be correct. But IMO the discounted flights are a lie. RB was trying to justify how he could afford flights (including four flights overseas in one year) on his invalid pension. Staff members of airlines are only able to get discounted flights for close family members. I don't see RB as a drug smuggler (even though some of you do) as that would be too risky for him. His skills are in fraud - forging, impersonating, theft, faked documents and so on.

Possibly somewhere in a safety envelope in a bank security box under another alias …. Or in an off shore account. I’m confident the truth will eventually come out once RB fesses up and stops dragging out this inquest by playing dumb !

So do you really think that RB is going to fess up tomorrow at the inquest? For a man how has been committing fraud for possibly sixty years, I just can't see it. But I hope I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hills89