Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO

Serious Gambling addiction disguised as a bona-fide profession? No excuse for misery caused to others tho.

Hope Police & ASIC are checking the major gambling sites for any activity, before and after disappearance and balance of accounts held by MC or PsOI.

Definitely addictive personality traits - excessive shopping, personal training, and travel - even down to the unscrupulous collecting of (not earning) frequent flyer points where every point is another free shot of dopamine.

Addictions don't have to be drugs or alcohol.

Link: PubMed Central, Table 1: Addict Health. 2016 Jul; 8(3): 207–209. (nih.gov)

from: Is Pathological Trading an Overlooked Form of Addiction?
Great find @Snooper Dooper ..... explains perfectly, the possibility of MC "gambling" with the "share market"......

However as MC didn't invest one single Investor dollar in any shares.... does it still fit our theory????

However all of the traits mentioned above suit MC to a "T" and possibly she did this with shares in own name ???? Usually if there is one "addiction" there are more addictive behaviors.....

Last edited:
5 Further Affidavits were lodge by ASIC yesterday at the Federal Court, but I haven't found and new Orders as yet...

22-Mar-2021 17:57 Affidavit Australian Securities & Investments Commission
22-Mar-2021 17:24 Affidavit Australian Securities & Investments Commission
22-Mar-2021 16:06 Affidavit Australian Securities & Investments Commission
22-Mar-2021 10:03 Affidavit Australian Securities & Investments Commission
22-Mar-2021 10:03 Affidavit Australian Securities & Investments Commission

File details - applications for file (comcourts.gov.au)

Maybe it was to comply with the Order of JUSTICE MARKOVIC made on 22 February 2021.

THE COURT ORDERS THAT: Report from Receivers and Provisional Liquidators 1. By 23 February 2021, the plaintiff is to file complete copies of the Receivers’ Report and Provisional Liquidators’ Report on a confidential basis.
Order_JUSTICEMARKOVIC_DOC14 (comcourts.gov.au)

Last edited:
Last edited:
The report, which included investigations of 750 fraudsters across 78 countries, found that technology was an enabler within 24% of the cases analysed. It also revealed that proactive analytics found little success in dealing with fraud, a mere 3% of fraudsters discovered with this approach.
This is very interesting @Estelle ..... 1/4 of all Fraud, enabled by technology!

Add the assistance of modern technology, to the hard wiring of a brain of a fraudster, and we end up with a Fraud on a scale like this case...

For all technology has given us in life, it also has a few things to answer for IMO.....

Following on from the post and links by @HelloJohnny on tracking sums of money greater than $10,000

How did Melissa avoid being tracked by AUSTRAC or the Bank reporting her????

A ‘threshold transaction’ is the transfer of physical currency of A$10,000 or more (or the foreign currency equivalent) as part of a designated service. A transfer can be either receiving or paying cash.

As a reporting entity, you must report these transfers to AUSTRAC in a threshold transaction report (TTR) within 10 business days.

You don’t have to submit a TTR if:
You have an "EXEMPTION"......

And guess what classifies as an exemption????? An "AFSL"..... familiar to anyone??

• the designated services are provided at or through your permanent establishment in a foreign country
  • you hold an Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) and only arrange for a person to receive a designated service rather than providing it yourself. (Maliver)

So does this mean the Bank didn't check Melissa's AFSL against the ASIC Register either??? It looks suspiciously like that...

Reporting transactions of $10,000 and over: Threshold transaction reports (TTRs) | AUSTRAC

And whatever Melissa did, she was their daughter who in their eyes looked after them and they would be grieving for her, and for their grandson who has lost his mother.

Yes, the poor parents, what a sad and awful situation to be in towards the end of their lives. And re them having to find somewhere else to live, they should probably just go straight into some sort of care home, if they can manage it. At their age, to start somewhere all over again independently would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, and they won't have the heart for it. Well, at least they have each other.

I think there a few professions that will be asked questions regarding this...... But the Bank that gave MC Loans of $6M (combined Dover heights and Edgecliff) should be made answer some hard questions.....regarding proof of income etc...
Not psychological "enablers" as @Estelle has pointed out.... but more of an 'external enabler" if you like....
I like your "external enabler" view point. I have been pursuing lines of research, the plot thickens.

I found the post I was referring to above..... Thanks @Brissie Sleuth

More than 60 names appear on ASIC’s court documents. Some may be dual accounts run on behalf of couples. Let’s assume Caddick controlled 50 accounts in total. It’s tough enough for a small team to manage a fund successfully. It’s why the performance of active managers is so fleeting. It’s even tougher for one individual to successfully manage their own account.

One person overseeing 50 separately managed accounts that need to be traded according to the ‘opportunities presented in the market’? This would be almost impossible. How does a person adequately get across 50 separate accounts in a short period of time to ensure they all receive the benefit of the same change of strategy and the buying and selling is done adequately? They don't

The Lies of Melissa Caddick | Mancell Financial Group (mfg.com.au)
100% correct SLouTH, they dont, they have an outside enabler.

Following on from the post and links by @HelloJohnny on tracking sums of money greater than $10,000

How did Melissa avoid being tracked by AUSTRAC or the Bank reporting her????

A ‘threshold transaction’ is the transfer of physical currency of A$10,000 or more (or the foreign currency equivalent) as part of a designated service. A transfer can be either receiving or paying cash.

As a reporting entity, you must report these transfers to AUSTRAC in a threshold transaction report (TTR) within 10 business days.

You don’t have to submit a TTR if:
You have an "EXEMPTION"......

And guess what classifies as an exemption????? An "AFSL"..... familiar to anyone??

• the designated services are provided at or through your permanent establishment in a foreign country
  • you hold an Australian Financial Services Licence (AFSL) and only arrange for a person to receive a designated service rather than providing it yourself. (Maliver)

So does this mean the Bank didn't check Melissa's AFSL against the ASIC Register either??? It looks suspiciously like that...

Reporting transactions of $10,000 and over: Threshold transaction reports (TTRs) | AUSTRAC
** You are on fire SLouTH. And the Bank(s) have a lot to answer for it seems.

When ASIC alerted her in August, do you think they were able to monitor what she was doing, ie. large money transfers to her own a/c and know when to pounce that day in November? Her accounts were frozen the day before. I just wonder if Mel was in the process of putting all the $$$ in her own trust a/c to make some sort of getaway in the very near future (maybe when school holidays started).

When ASIC alerted her in August, do you think they were able to monitor what she was doing, ie. large money transfers to her own a/c and know when to pounce that day in November? Her accounts were frozen the day before. I just wonder if Mel was in the process of putting all the $$$ in her own trust a/c to make some sort of getaway in the very near future (maybe when school holidays started).
BlueViolet, what's your source for saying ASIC alerted Melissa in August (something you've now said twice in the last few days)? Is it a fact or speculation or what? Thanks.

It was in the mainstream news a few times. I think because of the use of other person’s licence and possibly someone else might have also had cause to lodge a complaint to ASIC. I know I read August. I will try and find the source again today.

Here is one article ...

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...elissa-caddick-stole-40m-20201204-p56kn8.html

“Friends and investors have told the Herald that since August Ms Caddick may have been aware she was under investigation. She had already erased herself from Facebook and Instagram and in September she began an extensive file shredding operation. However, this did not stop her from accepting another $500,000 investment that month.

The Herald has confirmed that ASIC was alerted to Ms Caddick's alleged wrongdoings when they were contacted some months back by another financial planner who was horrified to discover Ms Caddick was using her licence.”

"I found out when a potential client of Melissa's did some due diligence on the documents they were provided. ASIC were immediately notified," said the woman, who asked not to be named.

The oddest part of this whole performance.. to me.. is.. she must have worked like a one-armed Beirut bricklayer just forging all the documents, for 60 plus accounts.. she might as well have gone into real stockbroking, and financial advising and investment management.

It had to be a 24/ 7/365 job, along with all the adrenalin required, she must have been as wired up as any crazed meth head, wired up on terror and high risk anxiety, she could have only felt alive at that pitch, whereas for most people they would, me included, die of fright.

BlueViolet, what's your source for saying ASIC alerted Melissa in August (something you've now said twice in the last few days)? Is it a fact or speculation or what? Thanks.

ASIC did not warn MC of the raid. The lady who got her money back felt guilty so she warned MC about the fact that misuse of the AFSL had been reported to ASIC.

The oddest part of this whole performance.. to me.. is.. she must have worked like a one-armed Beirut bricklayer just forging all the documents, for 60 plus accounts.. she might as well have gone into real stockbroking, and financial advising and investment management.

It had to be a 24/ 7/365 job, along with all the adrenalin required, she must have been as wired up as any crazed meth head, wired up on terror and high risk anxiety, she could have only felt alive at that pitch, whereas for most people they would, me included, die of fright.
I think she had the spreadsheets set up for each client with all the formulas at the ready.
All she needed to do each month or whenever a statement was due was to see the best performing shares for the previous month and insert the new date, amounts the shares were now worth and merge all fields.
It would automatically complete all the rest of the data. I think it would take her no longer than an hour a month to do this for all 60 accounts...

ASIC did not warn MC of the raid. The lady who got her money back felt guilty so she warned MC about the fact that misuse of the AFSL had been reported to ASIC.
Estelle, what's your source for that? (You might know where that information is coming from, but the rest of us have no way of checking and verifying it unless you give us some information about the source.) Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChillThrills