Found Deceased Australia - Melissa Caddick, 49, Sydney, NSW, 12 Nov 2020 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow - I did not realise Canturi was the successful bidder on the property she enquired on.... that's very interesting.
I remember something about her saying it was a couple of million overpriced. So was that the estate agent's estimate of what it would go for? Was she doing Canturi a favour, talking down the value before auction?

(Edit) Or is she commenting after the auction on what she would have paid, if she had been interested?

Last edited:
I remember something about her saying it was a couple of million overpriced. So was that the estate agent's estimate of what it would go for? Was she doing Canturi a favour, talking down the value before auction?

(Edit) Or is she commenting after the auction on what she would have paid, if she had been interested?
What I remember was that MC told the agent she didn't want to spend any more than $32M .....

Her entire scam relied on a steady supply of gullible sheep to fleece. That meant she had to hang around where people with money , disposable money income, hung around. You don't find fleecing sheep at McDonalds, or the local bus stop.

Big money house auctions, school parent days, racehorse owners and punters , 'charity ' events, art gallery openings, ... etc.

I guess MC had a private viewing after Canturi told her about it as she was curious. Houses with that sort of price tag do not have open inspections.

Last edited:
I think she was working on Centari, ordering expensive jewellery, pretending to be interested in buying the house (likely set the price she would pay expecting it to go for more) but really working hard to butter him up to get him to realise how priviledged he would be to invest with her...

I guess MC had a private viewing after Canturi told her about it as she was curious. Houses with that sort of price tag do not have open inspections.
naturally.. One would hardly expect that to be the case, considering some of the art work on the walls that I've seen.. . stuff that made me fall backwards and start moaning.

( I wasn't there as a buyer but as a consultant on document verification for the seller. ) ...

I think she was working on Centari, ordering expensive jewellery, pretending to be interested in buying the house (likely set the price she would pay expecting it to go for more) but really working hard to butter him up to get him to realise how priviledged he would be to invest with her...
Maybe. A very expensive advertising campaign however.

Thinking about this now. I predict that MC simply could have thought that she would have only received the $22,000 fine for using someone else's licence.
Yes maybe initially...... but she would have known what they would find if they started digging......

Perhaps a better strategy for MC to have played.... for her "self preservation" only..... would have been to admit the license fraud and pay the fine if she did indeed know that ASIC were after her.....

***** Definitely not saying this was the right thing to do ..... just being devil's advocate..... and thinking about her death as the end result.... Her death hasn't helped anyone in this situation except maybe herself???

Yes maybe initially...... but she would have known what they would find if they started digging......

Perhaps a better strategy for MC to have played.... for her "self preservation" only..... would have been to admit the license fraud and pay the fine if she did indeed know that ASIC were after her.....

***** Definitely not saying this was the right thing to do ..... just being devil's advocate..... and thinking about her death as the end result.... Her death hasn't helped anyone in this situation except maybe herself???
I see it as an angry suicide: "Now they'll never get their money back."

Maybe. A very expensive advertising campaign however.
Personally I think MC might have been "addicted" to fine jewels...... Wasn't it 47 pieces of jewelry that were seized in the raid???

I'm all for investing in a few nice pieces..... quality over quantity etc.... but the key word is a "few" not 47.....

It will be interesting to see this jewelry when it is put up for auction... IMO... and I'm guessing from what we have seen so far, it wont be to everybody's taste....

The end of March is rolling around quickly..... so the mortgage repayments are going to be due.....

$23,487.77 per month for Dover Heights
$10,086.59 per month for Edgecliff

Can the liquidators get the Bank to put a hold put on the payments until the properties can be sold?? But I guess that too would also reduce the returns to Investors, as in the end the Bank would take a greater amount of what's owing on the mortgage???? I cant see the Bank doing it for free??? Unless its for "damage control" for approving the loans in the first place???

What I remember was that MC told the agent she didn't want to spend any more than $32M .....
Paying over value for realestate is a common theme in this matter... this is an interesting article
Criminals may overvalue real estate with the aim of obtaining the largest possible loan from a lender. The larger the loan, the greater the amount of illicit funds that can be laundered to service the debt.
How is money laundered through real estate? | NGM Lawyers

I see it as an angry suicide: "Now they'll never get their money back."

Is there something that you base that statement on? Previous self-harm done in anger? Something else?

Just wondering because, as far as I can see, everything that I have read is saying that a variety of people say that Melissa wasn't the type to self-harm.

Sheer fantasy. Several of us have said why we think suicide is the most likely explanation. The motivation is just . . . well, I'm a person, I have motives, and this is what I can imagine.

No worries. I was just wondering. It seems many have built an image of Melissa, even though none of us knew her.

I personally believe that she lacked any kind of empathy or feelings for her victims, with regard to money. I think she was likely only concerned for herself (and perhaps her son). And this may have been her downfall in her final demise.

No worries. I was just wondering. It seems many have built an image of Melissa, even though none of us knew her.

I personally believe that she lacked any kind of empathy or feelings for her victims, with regard to money. I think she was likely only concerned for herself (and perhaps her son). And this may have been her downfall in her final demise.
I have a shifting image. I wonder if it was more about the money or the malicious pleasure of deception. And to what extent did she believe in the self she was projecting? Did reality crashing in destroy her more than the impending consequences?

I have a shifting image. I wonder if it was more about the money or the malicious pleasure of deception. And to what extent did she believe in the self she was projecting? Did reality crashing in destroy her more than the impending consequences?

I don't know. I tend to lean more on what the professionals are saying. That it is unlikely that Melissa would have self-harmed.

I think money played a big part because it allowed her to get and keep AK. She had motivation to get the money. And once she was locked into that, she had to keep it up to try to ward off the inevitable eventuality of her ponzi scheme collapse.

I don't think she was a stupid woman. Very driven to get what she wanted. With an inability (an unintentional one) to feel empathy. I think she knew how to pretend empathy, but didn't actually feel it.

I also think she could have picked herself up once the ASIC stuff was quietly over, dusted herself off, moved somewhere else, and continued a life.
I think she had too much temerity to fall in a heap.

I don't know. I tend to lean more on what the professionals are saying. That it is unlikely that Melissa would have self-harmed.

I think money played a big part because it allowed her to get and keep AK. She had motivation to get the money. And once she was locked into that, she had to keep it up to try to ward off the inevitable eventuality of her ponzi scheme collapse.

I don't think she was a stupid woman. Very driven to get what she wanted. With an inability (an unintentional one) to feel empathy. I think she knew how to pretend empathy, but didn't actually feel it.

I also think she could have picked herself up once the ASIC stuff was quietly over, dusted herself off, moved somewhere else, and continued a life.
I think she had too much temerity to fall in a heap.
I suppose . . . you can want to get and keep a person, even though you have virtually no empathy. Like, keep them as a possession. I don't know, I find it a stretch to think it was all to keep the man she wanted . . . that she wanted that particular man so much, and yet she was deficient in normal feelings for other people.

This is just another imagining, but I don't think she was strong, just forceful; not OK any of the time, pretending, and since any self-conception felt factitious why not commit to a grandiose one. Especially when other people believed it: they can see me so I must be real.

I suppose . . . you can want to get and keep a person, even though you have virtually no empathy. Like, keep them as a possession. I don't know, I find it a stretch to think it was all to keep the man she wanted . . . that she wanted that particular man so much, and yet she was deficient in normal feelings for other people.

This is just another imagining, but I don't think she was strong, just forceful; not OK any of the time, pretending, and since any self-conception felt factitious why not commit to a grandiose one. Especially when other people believed it: they can see me so I must be real.

No, I think it started to get the man and the lifestyle. It continued because what did Melissa do then? Tell everyone it was all a fraud and that she couldn't give all of them their money back, just some of them? And how would she maintain the homes?
Once a person has started a ponzi scheme I don't think there is any way out other than to keep it up, and pay people out from other people's money.

Unless (which is what I think she wanted) you can hit it big in the stock market. Then maybe you can get out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member