Found Deceased Australia - Melissa Caddick, 49, Sydney, NSW, 12 Nov 2020 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be digging up the house. Nothing says she left that house, except a kid who thought he heard the door open , or close, at 5.30am.

Nothing seen leaving the house, the street, the suburb, the state or the country.
Plenty of people would have been to and left the house in vehicles in the days following. Concerned brothers and the like.

Plenty of people would have been to and left the house in vehicles in the days following. Concerned brothers and the like.

The concerned brother apparently didn't know Melissa was missing until the Friday ... 30 hours later ... when the court told AK to report her missing.
He sounded pretty angry about that.
He said that he and his parents weren't told till right before, or right after, Melissa was reported missing (forget which one - before or after - but in less than an hour either way iirc)

Gibbo.. I am talking about Melissa. Nothing seen of Melissa leaving the house, or the street, or the state, or the country..

I know lots of people went back and forth, ASIC and AFP and NSW Pol and moving trucks, and neighbors and brothers, and possibly a few very frantic investors, who may have seen discretion the better part of valour and turned back at the front gate, who knows. But my only reference was to the fact, no one disputes this, no one has seen or heard of Melissa OUTSIDE THAT HOUSE.

No one saw her go out the front door, or down the street, or along the alley, or up the park and along the sea wall cliffs, or at the airport, or the taxi rank or Central Station. Or anywhere. That is what I meant by nothing seen of Melissa. At all.

Is that the $150,000 ish that AG gave for mortgage payments? Sounds like it could be. Very similar figure when totalled.
My impression was that the $150k was given as a deposit & the apartment was purchased in 2016. It’s probably not likely anyone here will be able to confirm this.

Thiese figures have rent as the payment description & the 2 payments were made sometime between the end of 2017-2020 . However there is also the possibility that AG would try to claim this money back through the courts as the amount looks similar to the mortgage deposit amount.

It would be interesting to see when this 150k was paid towards the deposit....

The concerned brother apparently didn't know Melissa was missing until the Friday ... 30 hours later ... when the court told AK to report her missing.
He sounded pretty angry about that.
He said that he and his parents weren't told till right before, or right after, Melissa was reported missing (forget which one - before or after - but in less than an hour either way iirc)
He says.

My impression was that the $150k was given as a deposit & the apartment was purchased in 2016. It’s probably not likely anyone here will be able to confirm this.

Thiese figures have rent as the payment description & the 2 payments were made sometime between the end of 2017-2020 . However there is also the possibility that AG would try to claim this money back through the courts as the amount looks similar to the mortgage deposit amount.

Also why does the Edgecliff property have landlord insurance?

Her brother Adam Grimley also paid at least $150,000 to his sister to help with the mortgage payments on the Edgecliff apartment.
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/na...ml?ref=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_source=rss_feed

Also why does the Edgecliff property have landlord insurance?

Because when someone is renting from you, as Melissa's parents would technically have been doing - renting from Melissa - you get landlord's insurance for your rental property (Edgecliff).

Lots of families do this. One of my clients owns a flat, 'rents' it to his daughter for not much money, has landlords insurance on it, and gets to negative gear the mortgage interest and expenses for the flat on his tax return.

It is perfectly legal.

Because when someone is renting from you, as Melissa's parents would technically have been doing - renting from Melissa - you get landlord's insurance for your rental property (Edgecliff).

Lots of families do this. One of my clients owns a flat, 'rents' it to his daughter for not much money, has landlords insurance on it, and gets to negative gear the mortgage interest and expenses for the flat on his tax return.

It is perfectly legal.
It’s legal however Melissa is paying the mortgage & their living allowance

Yes, so Melissa was their landlord. And as such, she needed to insure the property against damage, fire, flood - which is part of landlords insurance. It is not just for insuring against people skipping out on paying rent.

Depending on the parents financial situation they may even have been eligible for rent assistance and a pension.

Also I guess where I’m going with this is thinking about the possibility of AG or the parents trying to make a claim on that money..

Yes, so Melissa was their landlord. And as such, she needed to insure the property against damage, fire, flood - which is part of landlords insurance. It is not just for insuring against people skipping out on paying rent.

Depending on the parents financial situation they may even have been eligible for rent assistance and a pension.
They didn’t get the pension they received a $4000 allowance from Melissa plus Melissa paid the mortgage and landlord insurance.

Also I guess where I’m going with this is thinking about the possibility of AG or the parents trying to make a claim on that money..

I don't think they could. As I said above, landlords insurance is to cover fire, flood, damage, non-rent payment if a tenant ups and leaves - breaks their lease. Similar to building insurance, with the added benefit of compensation for an errant tenant.

I don't think they could. As I said above, landlords insurance is to cover fire, flood, damage, non-rent payment if a tenant ups and leaves - breaks their lease. Similar to building insurance, with the added benefit of compensation for an errant tenant.
Yes that’s right, however the main advantage of it being an investment property is negative gearing.

But what’s to stop AG from making a claim on money he’s contributed to the deposit / mortgage?

Also is it truly an investment property when the parents have contributed part of the deposit yet they’re also the “tenants”?

At the last hearing it was recorded that AG wasn't making a claim on the 1% he owned of the Dover Heights Residence... he was leaving that 1% to go toward investor funds .....

Yes that’s right, however the main advantage of it being an investment property is negative gearing.

But what’s to stop AG from making a claim on money he’s contributed to the deposit / mortgage?

Also is it truly an investment property when the parents have contributed part of the deposit yet they’re also the “tenants”?

What would that claim be? "I gave some money toward the mortgage so you need to give me money for ..... ?"

It is a fire/flood/damage/non-rent payment policy.

And yes, it is an investment property as Melissa bought it. No matter who gave the purchase money to her.
I am hoping the parents can get their million back from the sale of the property, if they can prove they gave it to Melissa for the purchase.
I guess that will be part of the difficulties that Bruce Gleeson has to go through yet, in getting the maximum for the investors.

Last edited:
What would that claim be? "I gave some money toward the mortgage so you need to give me money for ..... ?"

It is a fire/flood/damage/non-rent payment policy.
I’m not referring to the landlord insurance policy paid out, that was just to highlight that it was an investment property.

Im referring to deposits the parents and AG have paid towards the property to purchase the property however they’re also tenants so someone is getting a tax advantage from the ato, even though part of the deposit has been paid by the “tenants” sorry I mean the parents

I’m not referring to the landlord insurance policy paid out, that was just to highlight that it was an investment property.

Im referring to deposits the parents and AG have paid towards the property to purchase the property however they’re also tenants so someone is getting a tax advantage from the ato, even though part of the deposit has been paid by the “tenants” sorry I mean the parents

If you look back to post #169 ... I tried to explain that the owner (in this case, Melissa) gets to negative gear it on her tax return.

Hopefully I have explained the aspects of this that I know about. Signing off to this now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChillThrills