Australia - Melissa Hoskins, 32, Olympian cyclist, struck & killed by ute, husband Rohan Dennis arrested and charged - Medindie, SA, 30 Dec 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was sure I read that Dennis didn’t stop after the incident. I read that it was 2 teenagers that provided first aid to Melissa, and not him.

I found the articles:-

“Dennis allegedly continued to drive until his wife fell off the ute. She was allegedly dragged some way down the road, the publication reports. Tragically the street where Hoskins lived is also home to a number of doctors and medical professionals but none of them knew what had happened until they heard sirens outside.”

News Corp reports police will allege Ms Hoskins jumped onto the car bonnet and grabbed at a door handle before the vehicle was driven and she fell to the ground.

It is then alleged she may have been dragged along by the vehicle.

A pair of teenage neighbours tried to give first aid before paramedics arrived.”

It also says that some of the incident was caught on a neighbour's security cameras - and that Melissa jumped onto the car bonnet, tried to grab at a door handle, Rohan continued to drive the 4WD until she fell to the ground, then she was dragged some distance down the street.[/URL]
So out of control, the both of them and such a tragic result.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out from here.

Seems like SAPOL have found some, or more than some anomalies in Dennis's view of what happened, if the charges are now going ahead. SAPOL would have confidence in getting a conviction ,, no point going ahead if there are no grounds for this position. Some discrepancy ,perhaps, has been picked up in the reconstruction of the incident that will not line up ( possibly cannot line up ) with the event as first told to police. Possibly, some neighbors CCTV tells a different story.
Agree Trooper……. And IANAL but if I read this and the just prior message the authorities have dropped the ‘endangering life’ charge. Is that the lesser of the three original charges? Or is the ‘aggravated driving without due care’ a lesser charge? MOO

Agree Trooper……. And IANAL but if I read this and the just prior message the authorities have dropped the ‘endangering life’ charge. Is that the lesser of the three original charges? Or is the ‘aggravated driving without due care’ a lesser charge? MOO
If I can answer this way.. there are graduations of driving offences. Minor, Moderate , and Major. All of his charges are in the Major category, in and of themselves, and all attract custodial sentences, usually. Major offences in driving are not usually bargained away.... It looks to me like SAPOL are narrowing down the focus, which, and this is just my opinion, I don't have any inside info, but it would be something that the Reconstruction of the vehicular death exposed. Some glaring fact that sheds a whole other light on what was said happened and what actually happened.

In South Australia, the charge of Endangering Life requires intent. That it was the intention to endanger someone's life or create a risk of serious harm.

Perhaps the prosecution feel they cannot prove an intent to harm Melissa. Perhaps it is evident from the CCTV that she purposely climbed onto the bonnet.

We don't know how this couple fought. Was it often? Or was it occasional but when they did fight it frequently escalated? Was Rohan always leaving when they fought and Melissa often tried to stop him?

I guess by now the investigators would have spoken with friends and neighbours, and discovered more about how the incident may have escalated into the sadness of Melissa's death.

Under section 29 of the Criminal Law Consolidation Act 1935, it is an offence to intentionally recklessly endanger life or create a risk of serious harm. This offence carries a maximum penalty of 15 years imprisonment, or 18 years if the offence is aggravated.

I don't believe she 'jumped up on the bonnet. ',... the height in the Amarok, from the ground to the bonnet, in the 2023 model is about 160 centimeters, .. Ms Hoskins is about 162 centimeters, which means she would have to levitate, from a standing start, almost her own height. And not just levitate, but, apparently, then land on the bonnet.

Struck and hurled upwards, more like.

Seems like a big stretch, to me.

In South Australia, the charge of Endangering Life requires intent. That it was the intention to endanger someone's life or create a risk of serious harm.

Perhaps the prosecution feel they cannot prove an intent to harm Melissa. Perhaps it is evident from the CCTV that she purposely climbed onto the bonnet.

We don't know how this couple fought. Was it often? Or was it occasional but when they did fight it frequently escalated? Was Rohan always leaving when they fought and Melissa often tried to stop him?

I guess by now the investigators would have spoken with friends and neighbours, and discovered more about how the incident may have escalated into the sadness of Melissa's death.

Under section 29 of the Criminal Law Consolidation Act 1935, it is an offence to intentionally recklessly endanger life or create a risk of serious harm. This offence carries a maximum penalty of 15 years imprisonment, or 18 years if the offence is aggravated.

Intent is certainly the key element , IMO. The ute would have had to accelerate, and maintain acceleration, because he kept going after intercepting Ms Hoskins. , ...

Is it clear he was leaving? My impression was, he was returning, at speed, down the suburban street. ...

I don't believe she 'jumped up on the bonnet. ',... the height in the Amarok, from the ground to the bonnet, in the 2023 model is about 160 centimeters, .. Ms Hoskins is about 162 centimeters, which means she would have to levitate, from a standing start, almost her own height. And not just levitate, but, apparently, then land on the bonnet.

Struck and hurled upwards, more like.

Seems like a big stretch, to me.

She could have been standing in front of the stopped vehicle, trying to make sure it didn't leave, and the only way to go was onto the bonnet when the vehicle started moving. Hence, it is seen as "climbing onto the bonnet". imo

Is it clear he was leaving? My impression was, he was returning, at speed, down the suburban street. ...

The incident happened on an adjacent street.

I have put an arrow on their house, a big circle where the incident seems to have happened (somewhere in that vicinity), and marked the house where the CCTV cameras (2 of them) are.

They presumably left and arrived via the back alley, as that is where their carport roller door is.

a.jpg

Google maps

She could have been standing in front of the stopped vehicle, trying to make sure it didn't leave, and the only way to go was onto the bonnet when the vehicle started moving. Hence, it is seen as "climbing onto the bonnet". imo

But isn't it intentional endangering life?
Not to mention dragging a person with a car?
And also not stopping to render help?

I'm surprised this charge was dropped.
Not good.

I'm afraid he will only get a proverbial slap on the wrist.

:(

JMO

But isn't it intentional endangering life?
Not to mention dragging a person with a car?
And also not stopping to render help?

I'm surprised this charge was dropped.
Not good.

I'm afraid he will only get a proverbial slap on the wrist.

:(

JMO

IDK. Perhaps any intention is hard to prove. It is possible he thought she just fell off the bonnet, and did not sustain "serious" harm. Depends on how fast he was going at that time. Which the accident investigation team may have been able to determine.

He may not have known he dragged her - which likely gave her the catastrophic injuries. If Melissa was caught on some part of the vehicle, and then un-caught. He may not have actually driven over her and felt a bump.

Thanks Trooper and SouthAussie for the thoughts on the charges. Yes it is difficult to know precisely how it unfolded. As suggested perhaps she attempted to prevent his leaving and upon the vehicle moving she had to jump up onto or over the hood / bonnet? To avoid being hit? Or to get him to stop? (I realize the height complications….. perhaps the CCTV explains?)

And on the mirror….. wonder if maybe her arm or wrist (or leg or ankle?) got caught in the channel between the mirror and door pillar? To have been drug some distance? And mention of trying to reach grab or reach the mirror? Or, was she also entangled in the side or running boards? Trying to be sensitive….. and understand what reconstruction might show. So sad for her and the children. MOO

Thanks Trooper and SouthAussie for the thoughts on the charges. Yes it is difficult to know precisely how it unfolded. As suggested perhaps she attempted to prevent his leaving and upon the vehicle moving she had to jump up onto or over the hood / bonnet? To avoid being hit? Or to get him to stop? (I realize the height complications….. perhaps the CCTV explains?)

And on the mirror….. wonder if maybe her arm or wrist (or leg or ankle?) got caught in the channel between the mirror and door pillar? To have been drug some distance? And mention of trying to reach grab or reach the mirror? Or, was she also entangled in the side or running boards? Trying to be sensitive….. and understand what reconstruction might show. So sad for her and the children. MOO
All quite plausible, sadly.

I vent help but wonder if his rage was already evident and he had precious cargo she was laying her life on the line to try to protect.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dylan O' Cone
Back