DNA Solves

Attachments

• IMG_5533.jpeg
    IMG_5533.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5535.jpeg
    IMG_5535.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 28
Took kiddo out for her birthday dinner. She had the eggplant dish and her appetizer was spicy feta dip. They brought her baklava & ice cream with caramel sauce.

I had the Meze Platter with lots of stuff on it. It makes 3 meals for me!
Is this your daughter who is going to veterinary school in Grenada?

Is this your daughter who is going to veterinary school in Grenada?
Yes! She leaves Aug 8th. Her sister is going with her. That way she has help figuring out the buses, getting her dorm set up, buying groceries, etc.

I was asking her last night about how she’ll handle food prep, finding safe foods, etc. She tried to get a dorm assignment with other girls with food allergies. But the school housing people didn’t honor any of the girls’ requests!

I know her big sister will advocate for her if there’s any hope that something will change.

Yes! She leaves Aug 8th. Her sister is going with her. That way she has help figuring out the buses, getting her dorm set up, buying groceries, etc.

I was asking her last night about how she’ll handle food prep, finding safe foods, etc. She tried to get a dorm assignment with other girls with food allergies. But the school housing people didn’t honor any of the girls’ requests!

I know her big sister will advocate for her if there’s any hope that something will change.
I had planned to give you details about a restaurant in Grenada that we visited twice during cruises so your daughter could enjoy some authentic Caribbean cruise. When I heard about damage in Grenada during one of the recent tropical storms, I checked to see if BB's Crabback was still open. Looks like they've closed permanently :( I suspect they were hit hard during the pandemic because most of their guests were passengers from cruise ships and/or island resorts. What I'll always remember about Grenada is the lush vegetation and the almost-overwhelming aromas of various spices for which the island is famous, especially cinnamon and nutmeg.

Safe travels for your girls and best wishes for your younger daughter's success in veterinary school.

Last edited:
^ Obviously I meant Caribbean "cuisine" :oops: We visited Grenada three times during Caribbean cruises.

We took a break from the Coq Au Vin last night and had grilled Italian sausage with spinach cooked with bacon and almonds. We'll have Coq Au Vin tonight and probably finish it. This weekend we will make French toast and Monte Cristo sandwiches with Challah (egg bread). I'm thinking about making chicken liver pate, but DH doesn't like it and hates the way it "stinks up the kitchen". Maybe if I cook the chicken livers while he's swimming, he won't notice too much :D

Last edited:
Boar’s Head recall expanded

The new recall includes 71 products made between May 10 and July 29 under the Boar’s Head and Old Country brand names. It follows an earlier recall of more than 200,000 pounds of sliced deli poultry and meat. The new items include meat intended to be sliced at delis as well as some packaged meat and poultry products sold in stores.

In the midst of emptying out kiddos apartment & prepping for a yard sale before the storm….. I made yellow rice, refried beans with Monterey Jacky cheese, black beans and thawed the taco meat.

I need milk but wasn’t up to going to Publix. Too tired! I don’t buy much prior to storms. I’m not in a flood zone or an evacuation zone. We rarely lose power. The internet drowns regularly tho! Ha!

Banjo, my grandkitty likes salad. I guess grass on the dolly counts. LOL!

Attachments

• IMG_5589.jpeg
    IMG_5589.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5604.jpeg
    IMG_5604.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5588.jpeg
    IMG_5588.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 18
In the midst of emptying out kiddos apartment & prepping for a yard sale before the storm….. I made yellow rice, refried beans with Monterey Jacky cheese, black beans and thawed the taco meat.

I need milk but wasn’t up to going to Publix. Too tired! I don’t buy much prior to storms. I’m not in a flood zone or an evacuation zone. We rarely lose power. The internet drowns regularly tho! Ha!

Banjo, my grandkitty likes salad. I guess grass on the dolly counts. LOL!
Grandkittys' gotta inspect all the smells just in case ;) My orange tabby does this too!

In honor of Team USA and the cache of Olympic medals they have won in various disciplines, we are having all-American burgers with corn on the cob for dinner tonight. Michigan corn is in season - so sweet and juicy. Love it!

Nino's weekend rewards is 20% off all produce with no limit. DH will stop on his way home from swimming and get the veggies for Ratatouille - my favorite French dish. We'll have that tomorrow, and French toast and Monte Cristo sandwiches later next week. DH got me a package of gourmet chicken liver mousse that I enjoyed with French baguette. Now I don't have to stink up the kitchen cooking chicken livers to make my own pate :D

Hard to believe it is already August. The summer has gone by quickly. It will be fall before you know it!

In honor of Team USA and the cache of Olympic medals they have won in various disciplines, we are having all-American burgers with corn on the cob for dinner tonight. Michigan corn is in season - so sweet and juicy. Love it!

Nino's weekend rewards is 20% off all produce with no limit. DH will stop on his way home from swimming and get the veggies for Ratatouille - my favorite French dish. We'll have that tomorrow, and French toast and Monte Cristo sandwiches later next week. DH got me a package of gourmet chicken liver mousse that I enjoyed with French baguette. Now I don't have to stink up the kitchen cooking chicken livers to make my own pate :D

Hard to believe it is already August. The summer has gone by quickly. It will be fall before you know it!
We love ratatouille too. I have so many fresh tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, and eggplant that I have been making ratatouille for all my friends too.

This is another ratatouille recipe, the one that I make when taking it to friends as it results in a beautiful layered ratatouille.

I bake it in an oval baking dish that I got from Pampered Chef about 15 years ago, and it makes a nice presentation.

I follow the recipe except that I use fresh herbs instead of dried, and I add sliced yellow squash along with the eggplant and zucchini.

The recipe is vegan but unless I am making it for vegan friends I like to shred Parmesan on it as soon as I take it out of the oven.

I use any fresh tomatoes I happen to have in the garden: beefsteak, heirloom, Juliette, or any variety that is ripe and it always turns out great.

I only make ratatouille in the summer when I can get fresh produce.

This is another ratatouille recipe, the one that I make when taking it to friends as it results in a beautiful layered ratatouille.

I bake it in an oval baking dish that I got from Pampered Chef about 15 years ago, and it makes a nice presentation.

DH made French toast with Challah (egg bread) for brunch yesterday, and tonight we had Monte Cristo sandwiches with homemade blueberry compote. Wonderful! We've enjoyed our French meals during the Paris Olympics. We have his/her hair appointments tomorrow and will stop at Nino's afterwards for lots of fresh produce. I will see a new ophthalmologist on Thursday, and we will have dinner at Picano's as we haven't been for a few weeks.

^ Obviously I meant Caribbean "cuisine" :oops: We visited Grenada three times during Caribbean cruises.

We took a break from the Coq Au Vin last night and had grilled Italian sausage with spinach cooked with bacon and almonds. We'll have Coq Au Vin tonight and probably finish it. This weekend we will make French toast and Monte Cristo sandwiches with Challah (egg bread). I'm thinking about making chicken liver pate, but DH doesn't like it and hates the way it "stinks up the kitchen". Maybe if I cook the chicken livers while he's swimming, he won't notice too much :D
I love chicken livers though have not cooked them in ages. I would fry them with lots of paprika and garlic powder and finish it off with brown rice. absolutely delicious, but then I thought about how fatty it is so I haven't made it in quite a while. My husband would never even look at a chicken liver, let alone eat one!

Also love chopped liver: my mother used to make it- now I getit at the deli once in a very great while

Last edited:
For those who might not be familiar with Ratatouille, a Frech vegetable stew, here is a good recipe. The dish involves a lot of prep, but it is definitely worth the effort. Serve with freshly shredded Parmesan cheese and crusty French or Italian bread.

Ratatouille
I had a roommate many years ago who made Ratatouille and it was absolutely delicious. Haven't had it in years and probably won't make it, but it is a great dish that does involve a lot of prep

DH made French toast with Challah (egg bread) for brunch yesterday, and tonight we had Monte Cristo sandwiches with homemade blueberry compote. Wonderful! We've enjoyed our French meals during the Paris Olympics. We have his/her hair appointments tomorrow and will stop at Nino's afterwards for lots of fresh produce. I will see a new ophthalmologist on Thursday, and we will have dinner at Picano's as we haven't been for a few weeks.

One of my favorites and I can't believe I've never tried to make one at home! lol We used to have a local restaurant who had the best Monte Cristo's but they've been out of business for years. Recently, I heard one of the chef's was now at another restaurant and bought back his famous sandwich. It's about 2 hours from me, but I convinced DH we needed to go, so we drove there a few months ago ... and they were sold out. :(

I just printed out your recipe and will give it a try! Thanks!

Also, have always had it with raspberries, so excited to try blueberries!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jameshoots
Back