Australia Australia - Peter Falconio, 28, Barrow Creek, NT, 14 Jul 2001

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Atkins also said that he had on two previous occasions written out other Stat Dec's on the same subject. One ran to nine pages. He at a later date phoned the police ( 48 times ) and requested they be returned. He apparently refused to sign the two because the police had changed them.
I said in my first post that none of the timelines work. i.e, If Atkins is telling the truth then when he states that he left Coober Pedy at 7.40am and saw the Kombi a few minutes later , this puts JL and PF somewhere were they couldn't have been according to JL, who stated that they where in the Alice at that time. Although that would tie in with her saying that they passed the airport where she purchased a ticket. Another timeline that really stands out is the man in the Shell service station at approx midnight of the 15th who the police claim is BM.
Robin Bowles in her book, Dead Centre stated that BM was seen by several witnesses in Broome at 6am of the 15th ( BM and Hepi used to time their arrival in Broome for 4am to minimize detection by the police ). So whilst I have no doubt BM was a fast driver, I seriously doubt he could cover 1800 klicks in less than four hours?

Atkins also said that he had on two previous occasions written out other Stat Dec's on the same subject. One ran to nine pages. He at a later date phoned the police ( 48 times ) and requested they be returned. He apparently refused to sign the two because the police had changed them.
I said in my first post that none of the timelines work. i.e, If Atkins is telling the truth then when he states that he left Coober Pedy at 7.40am and saw the Kombi a few minutes later , this puts JL and PF somewhere were they couldn't have been according to JL, who stated that they where in the Alice at that time. Although that would tie in with her saying that they passed the airport where she purchased a ticket. Another timeline that really stands out is the man in the Shell service station at approx midnight of the 15th who the police claim is BM.
Robin Bowles in her book, Dead Centre stated that BM was seen by several witnesses in Broome at 6am of the 15th ( BM and Hepi used to time their arrival in Broome for 4am to minimize detection by the police ). So whilst I have no doubt BM was a fast driver, I seriously doubt he could cover 1800 klicks in less than four hours?
BBM x 2.

Coober Pedy to Alice is a 7-hour drive. Wasn't Peter definitely at the accountant's that morning?

Huh, where are you getting four hours from? No he definitely didn't. I don't have the book anymore but it was a whole lot longer than four hours and there was still a question whether he could have done it or not. BM says not.

ETA . . . Four hours would be the leg Fitzroy Crossing to Broome, about 400km out of the 1800.

Last edited:
JLZ... Keith Noble says that there is no evidence that proves PF was at the Accountants office , he intimates that it is part of the hoax along with JL claiming she went to a travel shop to enquire about a ticket, yet ended up driving south to purchase a ticket at the airport which she claims they where passing They couldn't have passed it because it is south of a Alice although they would have passed it coming from CP. Re-the four hours... If BM was at the Shell Service Station in Alice as the police claim at midnight then how could he be in Broome four hours later?

I have posted a couple of other pages from Mr Atkins. With luck "Trendsetter", will post a far superior version as he kindly did on my other post.
I have been re-reading the Stat Dec and am starting to form the opinion that all is not as he claims. Mr Atkins definitely didn't have the benefit of a higher education. His grammar shows this when he writes, I done or I seen, yet later on whilst watching BM and JL talking he claims that he , "Was in awe". Somewhat incongruous to say the least!

Attachments

• DSCN1765.JPG
    DSCN1765.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN1766.JPG
    DSCN1766.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 7
JLZ... Keith Noble says that there is no evidence that proves PF was at the Accountants office , he intimates that it is part of the hoax along with JL claiming she went to a travel shop to enquire about a ticket, yet ended up driving south to purchase a ticket at the airport which she claims they where passing They couldn't have passed it because it is south of a Alice although they would have passed it coming from CP. Re-the four hours... If BM was at the Shell Service Station in Alice as the police claim at midnight then how could he be in Broome four hours later?

I have posted a couple of other pages from Mr Atkins. With luck "Trendsetter", will post a far superior version as he kindly did on my other post.
I have been re-reading the Stat Dec and am starting to form the opinion that all is not as he claims. Mr Atkins definitely didn't have the benefit of a higher education. His grammar shows this when he writes, I done or I seen, yet later on whilst watching BM and JL talking he claims that he , "Was in awe". Somewhat incongruous to say the least!

I suggest there's a day missing, and the journey took something like 28 hours. He raced it to Fitzroy Crossing, might have had a bit of a break there, and then slowly drove the rest of the way so as to arrive at his preferred time in the early morning. And it wasn't the morning immediately following the attack on Joanne, but the next day.

Wasn't the accountant interviewed? That's evidence. Or is he supposed to part of the 'hoax'?

The Camel Cup they went to in the afternoon is on the south side of Alice Springs, the airport about 8km further south. Perhaps that's what she means by passing.

trendsetter, Muchas Gracias.... I would be very interested in your opinion of the book that we are both copying from, because you are the only other person who has it, to my knowledge that is!

JLZ.....IIRC the accountant was a woman,the question begs as to why did PF wait till the Alice instead of going to an accountant prior to leaving Sydney. He also managed to earn $20,000 in less than three months working as a office furniture assembler. The day of the so called incident was the 14th and the Service Station video was the 15th. There is according to Noble, absolutely no proof they were at the races, although Robin Bowles claims in her book "Dead Centre " that there was several shots of them there. She offers no proof !

I intimated in a previous comment that I had doubts about Mr Atkins claims, would it be plausible to think that BM if he was involved with JL/PF, would sit in court and cop it sweet?
Methinks not!

trendsetter, Muchas Gracias.... I would be very interested in your opinion of the book that we are both copying from, because you are the only other person who has it, to my knowledge that is!

JLZ.....IIRC the accountant was a woman,the question begs as to why did PF wait till the Alice instead of going to an accountant prior to leaving Sydney. He also managed to earn $20,000 in less than three months working as a office furniture assembler. The day of the so called incident was the 14th and the Service Station video was the 15th. There is according to Noble, absolutely no proof they were at the races, although Robin Bowles claims in her book "Dead Centre " that there was several shots of them there. She offers no proof !

I intimated in a previous comment that I had doubts about Mr Atkins claims, would it be plausible to think that BM if he was involved with JL/PF, would sit in court and cop it sweet?
Methinks not!
BBM. You're talking about the service station/truck stop in or near Alice Springs, near the start of the Tanami Track. That's about 300km from Barrow Creek. If BM was there a bit after midnight on 15 July, that's about four hours after the 'incident' on 14 July, and there's no problem with him covering the distance in that time plus moving the Kombi. It's still about 1700km to Broome from there and I don't think anyone (apart from you) has said that BM was back in Broome on the morning of the 15th. It has to be the 16th.

JLZ, No where have I mentioned BM driving back to the Alice. I re-iterate the four hours is from Alice to Broome . Although this brings up a question, why would BM drive 4 hours back to the Alice, surely he would know how to get to Broome from just North of Barrow Creek? Robin Bowles mentions that Hepi said that he saw MB in Broome on the night of the 15th. I should say here that I have spent many hours scouring the Web on this case and can assure you that somewhere along the way I came across how BM was in Broome early on the 15th. I thought it was in Robin Bowles book, but the book doesn't have an index so I would have to re-read it which I am not going to do.

I have posted the Police Inventory of the contents of the Kombi. NB, there is no mention of the Eccies found in one of the side panels.
https://nourishingobscurity.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/PROPERTY.INVENTORY.ANALYSIS.pdf

JLZ, No where have I mentioned BM driving back to the Alice. I re-iterate the four hours is from Alice to Broome . Although this brings up a question, why would BM drive 4 hours back to the Alice, surely he would know how to get to Broome from just North of Barrow Creek? Robin Bowles mentions that Hepi said that he saw MB in Broome on the night of the 15th. I should say here that I have spent many hours scouring the Web on this case and can assure you that somewhere along the way I came across how BM was in Broome early on the 15th. I thought it was in Robin Bowles book, but the book doesn't have an index so I would have to re-read it which I am not going to do.

I have posted the Police Inventory of the contents of the Kombi. NB, there is no mention of the Eccies found in one of the side panels.
https://nourishingobscurity.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/PROPERTY.INVENTORY.ANALYSIS.pdf
Well, I agree with you that if it was BM at the service station/truck stop near Alice at 12:30am on 15 July, he could not have been in Broome at 6am-ish on the same 15 July.

The NTCCA judgement twice refers to BM's return to Broome on 16 July. Bradley Murdoch | Appeal | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers And in an ABC article: "In a tapped phone conversation played to the jury last week, Murdoch told a friend he couldn't have been the killer because he was at Fitzroy Crossing 20 hours after the alleged attack and such a distance was impossible." PM - Conflicting evidence in Falconio trial In other words, BM says himself that he was still on his way back to Broome at 4pm on 15 July.

And from the trial:

On the Crown case the accused had the opportunity to be in the vicinity of Barrow Creek at the relevant time. The accused arrived in Broome in the early hours of 16 July 2001. If the Crown evidence was accepted, the accused could have committed the crimes near Barrow Creek and driven to Broome via Alice Springs and the Tanami Desert in time to arrive in Broome early on 16 July 2001.
https://supremecourt.nt.gov.au/__da...7/2005NTSC80-R-v-Murdoch-No-6-15-Dec-2005.pdf

JLZ. Thanks for that, I seem to recall something about the police intercepting BM's phone conversation, which is strange because they were doing everything to avoid showing any evidence which gave BM the benefit of the doubt ( the Judge in the case was particularly biased ) . A point was made that BM would have known that his phone conversations were being listened to.! Fitzroy Crossing, I'm sure you know is just over four hours to Broome, driving at the speeds ( someone who drove with him stated that he drove at 100kph as per the norm, except for when the track was ribbed ) he was capable of, would give him plenty of time to cruise in to Broome at his own leisure! Re-the court case, Noble makes the point numerous times through his book that it was nothing but a kangaroo Court! The judge's sympathetic questioning of JL was so blatant that BM's lawyer questioned the judge on the matter and was subsequently over ruled!
I came across this article whilst scouring the Web, well worth a peruse!
Falconio - v The Barrow Creek Incident - UK Indymedia

Last edited:
During my many hours scouring the Web for info on this case I came across a page on Geoffrey Atkins, he of the Stat Dec fame. He is also mentioned in both books I purchased on this case. Someone, ( sorry, cannot remember ) claimed that he looked very much like the original description that JL gave of her so called attacker. In these photo's it isn't hard to see why someone might think just that!
https://licensing-publishing.nine.c...nd--Peter-Falconio--in-2001-2ITPN47MINOC.html

I think I might owe JLZ an apology. Last night I sat down and skimmed through Robin Bowles' book " Dead Centre", in her last interview with BM she asks why he took so long to get to Broome from Fitzroy Crossing on Monday the 16th? The fact that he didn't disagree with the date leads me to believe that what I previously said from earlier reading's of her book makes the 16th a positive! I re-read quite a bit of the book hopping from page to page and came to the conclusion that whilst Robin claims she did a years course on Investigation she isn't exactly a good investigator. For instance in one part she asks Vince ( the truck driver ) was the man he saw later actually BM. Vince related that four weeks after the supposed incident he was driving once again down to the Alice. Somewhere North of Alice he stopped to get fuel. Whilst there he noticed a White Toyota four wheeler with the left rear wheel hanging off (?) he walked over to it and lifted up the corner of the canvas canopy. He said it was very neat and orderly and then noticed that there was an opening between the cab and the tray! He then closed up the canopy and at that point a large man ( Vince stands 6 ft tall ) with cropped hair demanded to know what he was doing...... She than asks was this BM, to which he doesn't answer and goes off onto something else, leaving the question unanswered! A good investigator surely would have persisted ?
I also said to JLZ that in her book Robin claims that Hepi stated that he saw BM in Broome on the 15th. Now on the trip that this incident supposedly occurred both Hepi and BM were on the same run ( it says in the literature they were 20 minutes apart ), which was unusual because normally they wouldn't do this. With this in mind, is it too far a stretch to think that Hepi made his claim of seeing BM on the 15th his way of creating an alibi, if he was involved in this then he would need an alibi?
This piece is going to be my last, I have realised that this is just going around in circles, but I am going to offer a thought of what might have happened.
JL and PF were seen and heard arguing several times before the so called incident. I believe that they were running drugs ( they had an excessive amount of money for only working a few weeks in Sydney ) The fact that PF's belongings were not in the Kombi after the incident leads me to believe that his bags were packed and he got out of the Kombi at some stage, hence the arguments i.e she didn't fancy being left alone .
Chris Malouf ( who apparently fitted JL's description of the so called assailant ) was camped 55 metres from the parked Kombi ( what a coincidence ). He could have dug the hole in the ground that was used to create two pyramids of soil which where placed across the road ( which was a signal for the driver of the Kombi to pull up and stop...... along with the road side fires that JL commented on, which maybe indicated that she was to keep her eye out for the stopping point). Malouf was shown to JL that morning, she said it wasn't him because he didn't have a dog. But if he was part and parcel of this setup than she would make that denial! The police later found a dog had been shot near Malouf's camp site.
The biggest question for me in all this is, how when JL crawled under the trailer on her hands and knees and threw herself into the arms of Vince that she was, warm and clean and this is after running through razor sharp spinifex, laying on the ground for several hours in Winter, yet Robin Bowles re-enacted this and came up looking like she had been dragged through the bushes. The trackers and police found no evidence whilst searching the so called site, yet three months later a policewoman went to the site and lo and behold found a lip balm container in the exact spot where JL supposedly lay and two pieces of tape stuck on a bush!
There are so many coincidences in this farce , i.e several names all have drug history in one form or another, all having Zapata moustaches and long hair with grey streaks etc. The mind boggles. I have a feeling that Atkins the Stat Dec man was somehow involved with Hepi.
Ok, that's enough, I'm posting a couple of articles that I came across whilst trawling the Web. Regards to all, Arrivedici
http://falconio.weebly.com/uploads/1/0/4/6/10466037/__discussion_document_3.pdf
https://www.territorystories.nt.gov.au/jspui/bitstream/10070/267194/15/Northern Territory News_20170422_page07_NTNews_News_7.PDF

I said yesterday that it would be my last post, but I came across the following, part of it is the first and second edition of," Find! Falconio" which are FREE PDF's for downloading. The rest are well worth reading. There is a podcast which I cannot play, I think it is for Windows player ( I use Linux ). I didn't post this before because I wasn't aware that I had it in my possession . To explain, whilst scouring the Web for Falconio material I came across a piece on the Claremont Killings. I lived in Perth back then so when I saw it I bookmarked it and yesterday started to read it, there are pages and pages of the Western Australian Police and what goes on in W.A which I have some knowledge . In the middle of all this there was a piece on Falconio which you can now peruse in your own time. Be aware because it is on "The Wayback Machine " it can take a long time to load.
FIND FALCONIO
One VERY interesting sentence is a claim from Vince the truck driver, that JL's T-shirt was ripped and her breast were on view! Vince seems to vary his claims!

A couple of days ago I said I thought I owed JLZ an apology because of an error in BM's timeline i.e he didn't have time to be in the Shell service station at mid-night and be in Broome four hours later. This came about through me saying that I had read somewhere that this was the case. I also said I couldn't remember where I had read it, I have it to hand and to make it even more believable it is written by a QC.
Partial CnP....If Murdoch was involved in transporting cannabis from Sedan to Broome, why would he not take the turn-off to the Tanami Track rather than travel almost 300 kilometres north past Barrow Creek before turning west? •Was the person and the vehicle shown in the Truck Stop video that of the accused and his vehicle? * ( No, because he was towing a camper trailer that trip and there was no trailer shown in the video) •Given that the Crown could prove that Murdoch arrived in Broome at about 4 am on the following morning * ( the 15th ?), was it possible that he could have travelled from Barrow Creek * ( Saturday 14th ) back to Alice Springs *( time on the video was 00.45.50 ..15th ) and then across the Tanami Track and arrived in Broome in that time, given the distances he would have had to travel, and the conditions of the unsealed road for much of the way?....... And this is why I said it wasn't him!

https://clant.org.au/wp-content/uploads/MildrenPaper.pdf

A couple of days ago I said I thought I owed JLZ an apology because of an error in BM's timeline i.e he didn't have time to be in the Shell service station at mid-night and be in Broome four hours later. This came about through me saying that I had read somewhere that this was the case. I also said I couldn't remember where I had read it, I have it to hand and to make it even more believable it is written by a QC.
Partial CnP....If Murdoch was involved in transporting cannabis from Sedan to Broome, why would he not take the turn-off to the Tanami Track rather than travel almost 300 kilometres north past Barrow Creek before turning west? •Was the person and the vehicle shown in the Truck Stop video that of the accused and his vehicle? * ( No, because he was towing a camper trailer that trip and there was no trailer shown in the video) •Given that the Crown could prove that Murdoch arrived in Broome at about 4 am on the following morning * ( the 15th ?), was it possible that he could have travelled from Barrow Creek * ( Saturday 14th ) back to Alice Springs *( time on the video was 00.45.50 ..15th ) and then across the Tanami Track and arrived in Broome in that time, given the distances he would have had to travel, and the conditions of the unsealed road for much of the way?....... And this is why I said it wasn't him!

https://clant.org.au/wp-content/uploads/MildrenPaper.pdf
Mildren does say "the following morning" in that paper, but he is talking about the morning following the sighting at the truck stop early on 15 July. It's ambiguous as it stands and could mean dawn of the same day (15th) or the morning of the day following (16th). I've read his book but I don't have it now either, and I can't say how he expresses it there. I think it is so completely out of the question that Murdoch drove from Barrow Creek to Broome in say nine hours that he would not have been charged under those circumstances. Dean Mildren is a judge, by the way. His book is a very detailed account of the trial and analysis of the evidence.

As to why the backtracking: I think he was following Peter and Joanne, probably paranoid that in some way they were following him, and may have had the intention of continuing north up the highway; but after what happened decided it would be safer to take the Tanami Track, even though it involved driving back to Alice Springs. For one thing, there wouldn't be road blocks (though as it happened the highway wasn't roadblocked either).

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back